Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Saving Seeds: physalis ixocarpa

Communities > Forums > Saving Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Saving SeedsReplies: 4, Views: 23
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

October 4, 2011
1:06 PM

Post #8835939

This year I have grown the Physalis ixocarpa for the first time. I like te fruit very much, but it seems not ripe enough to harvest the seeds. Or am I wrong?
The fruit falls on the bottom if they are green/purple.
Can someone tell me when the seeds are ripe?

Thanks in advance,

Jonna
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

October 7, 2011
1:52 PM

Post #8839835

Still looking for the answer.

Jonna
nhuntley
Holladay, UT
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2011
12:46 PM

Post #8854219

Hi Jonna,

From what I've been told, you need to collect the seeds when the berry/fruit is fully ripe. They should be turning a bit purple when they are fully ripe. Also, they would fill the papery cover, and the cover would be splitting a little. As you probably know, you need 2 or more plants as they are self-sterile. Supposedly, it helps if you collect seeds from two different plants and grow them out.

I've never grown them myself, so this is just information that was shared with me by a neighbor who grows them. She is always successful, so I'd imagine that this advice is good enough to try!

Natalie
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

October 18, 2011
1:07 PM

Post #8854243

Hi Natalie,

Thank you for the info.
I have 3 plants together and there are seeds in the fruits, but because they are still 'crispy' to eat, I was wondering if the seeds were ripe at that moment. The papery cover has splitted almost completely, so I suppose the seeds will be ripe.

Jonna
nhuntley
Holladay, UT
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8854368

Hi Jonna,

I'm not sure, but I don't think these ever get as soft as a regular tomato, and if the papery cover is split, I would think that they are ready. I've always bought mine, and they were always very firm and green. My neighbor showed me some of hers last year, and they were just barely starting to turn a little purple, and she said they were ready because the papery skin was split. She usually picks them before that though, since she makes salsa verde out of them, and you don't want them to be as sweet as they are when they are really ripe. I did hold one, and it was very firm, so I think you are okay to save the seeds now. I'm no expert though! Hopefully someone else will be able to provide more information for you.

My neighbor is out of town, or I'd go ask for some more information!

Natalie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America