What are you making Fall 2011?

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1217989/

It is Officially Fall and there is cooler air up North.

Time to get some serious quilting done.

I think this is the only quilt I ever made in Fall colors. It was a wedding gift for my cousin.

Thumbnail by Qwilter

Barb - we fly back next Wed.

Definately does not feel like Fall down here.

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

That is so pretty Jean. You do great log cabin quilts. I still have the picture of the one you did in beiges and blues. So visually appealing...

The rain is finally ending today and the temps are supposed to plummet.... A definite freeze tonight here. And then it's supposed to be beautiful for the next week. I'm so glad as my son and family are coming from Colorado for the weekend!!!!

I brought all my plants in before we left Sun AM. Not freezing in MD but a bit too cold to have the Orchids outside. So my DR looks like a botanical garden.

I have some really pretty mums that have just started blooming. I'll cover them tonight and hope for the best!!!!

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

Heading downstate for my 50th class reunion. I hope they have picture name tags or else I won't know all those old folks. LOL

Lexington Park, MD

Enjoy the reunion and have a safe trip.

Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

Wow Qwilter, I really like the colors in the LC. Those are colors I frequently use. Might have to make a scrappy LC to utilize some of the strips that I've been accumulating from other projects.

(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

Jean, the temps are so different . We are having much cooler nights and the day temps are very nice in northern Florida. I am so enjoying it after having been in the Port Charlotte area for a month--talk about hot!

Isn't it funny how eventually we all get so involved with saving scraps that they lead to yet another idea for another quilt. Stu, you are definitely addicted--but that is a good thing. LOL
Sometimes it is fun just to go through my scrap bags and just "love" on my pieces I have accumulated. Yes, I know I am odd.

Toledo, OR(Zone 8a)

All I can do is drool..... I love all these beautiful quilts. I need more hands and more time. I wish I could clone myself or one of you awesome quilters as I would have my clone stitching like crazy. heheh

ROFLOL, isn't that what all crafters wish for? A clone?

Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

No, Marion, actually right now I'm wishing for a piece of Chocolate Cream Pie..... if it's brought by a clone, that's OK too.

STU!!!!!!! A man right after my own heart--LOL. Well if I had any Chocolate Cream Pie I would certainly share with you but since my daughter has diabetes that is a thing of the past at our household. How about a Key Lime pie? Of course you would have to make it.

Toledo, OR(Zone 8a)

Ewww... memememe, thats my favorite, Key lime pie. I know this is totally off the Fall tract but I have the simplest recipe for key lime pie using lime juice sweetened condensed milk and a graham cracker crust. So easy. Way too rich if thats possible. heheh

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Recipe please?

Lexington Park, MD

Oh key lime pie sounds soooooo good. Yes recipe please.

I do believe Key Lime Pie falls under the category "What are you making?"

Toledo, OR(Zone 8a)

Key Lime Pie

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

3 egg yolks
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup lime juice ( recipe asks for key lime juice but I just use regular as we don't get key limes too often)

Blend together well

pour into crust and bake for 10 to 15 minutes till set in middle.
I usually double this recipe as I use a large pie plate to make it a deep dish pie. YUM!
In that case I bake it for 20 minutes or until set.

Either buy graham cracker crust or make one with graham cracker crumbs butter and sugar. Recipe on box.

You can add a little green food coloring as I like to see the green lime and so does my sweet hubby. He always says, I thought this was a key lime pie, why isn't it green. ????

You can add meriange to top of pie but we like whipped cream.

Lexington Park, MD

Thank you and you are right sounds so easy.

Wow, I am going to buy the stuff for that tomorrow! That sounds really good!
What size is the can of milk please?

Toledo, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh shoot, I don't recall but when I make a double batch they are the size of a condensed milk size. Like carnation, pet, etc.

ROFLOL--now ladies be sure you use real key limes--not just limes. It makes a difference you know. I actually have about 6 I brought home from my sister's house. Sent a box full to the son of my BF from Gainesville earlier this week. Been a long standing thing that I get them key limes. Didn't get many as most were taken to the Nursing home to the nurses who care for Mom.

Toledo, OR(Zone 8a)

I wish that I had access to key limes but unfortunately I just have regular so by all means if you have them use them.

Toledo, OR(Zone 8a)

Here is the Recipe link that I found

http://www.joyofbaking.com/KeyLimePie.html

It is just like mine but I read other where they say anywhere from 3-5 egg yolks so you decide.

Gourd, the key lime tree is at my sister's home and I gathered some up this trip. We didn't think for the longest time there would be any due to lack of rain but some did develop.

(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

I think we need a new rule. I move that any recipe for Key Lime Pie (or any other dessert) is hereby always on topic for just about any thread.

All agreed signify by the same sign. (Aye! ;)

Jean, I LOVE the colors in your Fall quilt. Very pretty!

I went to California last week and have been bumbling around trying to catch up with myself ever since. Daughter and I started water aerobics a month ago and it's GREAT fun and a lot more of a workout than I thought it would be. Best thing is - most of the other women there are round, like me.

I just finished quilting a scrap tumbler quilt top that I "rescued" - was going to dig through my stash for a fabric appropriate for binding and whaddayaknow.... I actually used the backing fabric to prepare the binding for this quilt when I basted it, several months ago. One of the benefits of being ADD - I'm always finding these "surprises," stuff I forgot I had. :)

Now I can bind the quilt tomorrow and it will be done, done, done! Three large bed quilts done in two months - a new record for me! :)

I'm four weeks behind on the Barbara Brackman Civil War Quilt, so I'm preparing fabrics to get caught up on those, too. Even if I get those done tomorrow, on Saturday, I will be behind, again. LOL!

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

aye ...yi yi yi...I love key lime Pie!

Okay so the name of this thread is: "What are you Making Fall 2011?"--so after I completely digested the news I got at noon today, I guess it will be starting to think about a baby quilt. Trouble is, I don't know yet if I am having a new granddaughter or hopefully a grandson.

Yea Marion! Congrats, just can't get enough of those grandbabies. I have a new great grandson coming next month.

Thanks Karen. This is a total shock but a very nice one. They wanted more children but DIL has a medical problem that makes it hard to get pregnant. So once again, a miracle for us.

Lexington Park, MD

aye....to key lime pie and babies.

Me too - aye to key lime and babies!!!!

AYE to both!!! As I have a grandson sue in March! Looks like we will all be busy doing baby blankets!

(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

Babies! Nothing more wonderful than babies! Congratulations, grammas! :)

Thanks everyone--I am floating!!!!

Toledo, OR(Zone 8a)

You are all a little nuts I think and I am right there in the middle. What a great group of ladies. I think that crafters, stitchers, all have to have some great imaginations to do the fun and sometimes wacky things we do and say.
Okay, Key lime pie is a keeper but it really is a summertime pie. What is your favorite fall treat. I would have to say Pecan pie wrapped in a nicely quilted pie keeper or transporter.
Have you seen them? They are quilted in a circle and then a casing it stitched along the outside to pull up over the pie when you carry them. Some of them are made to tie over the top of a covered pie like a towel
Here are some that I found online
http://thesewingdivas.wordpress.com/2008/11/30/the-dish/

Hummm, key limes don't start producing fruit here until August and September so maybe a fall pie? This is a fun group for sure.

How cool is that site!! Thanks

Toledo, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh, I didn't know that. I thought that key limes are just a summer type thing. Shows to go what I know about growing citrus fruit. heheh

LOL I didn't know either until my sister planted a key lime tree. Learn something all the time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.