Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

barley sprouts fodder system

Grand Saline, TX(Zone 7b)

I really want to get away from feeding alfalfa and love these systems. The price of the system and quantity of fodder is too much to invest in. I know zilch, nada, zero about hydroponics. Any ideas on how to make a smaller system? Or any leads to help research ideas?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Well, pooh. I always forget to check for new threads on this forum!

I don't think this would be too hard or expensive to do (or set-up), depending on how many cows you want to feed. It's simply making sprouts like I do in the kitchen, but on a larger scale. Of course to do it year-round, you'd need an environment with some temp control to prevent freezing in winter, or roasting in summer.

Hydroponics usually means growing in circulating water that contains nutrients. I don't know that would be necessary for sprouts. I do know if I don't rinse my growing sprouts daily, they sour and mold readily.

Tell me more about what you have, like how many cows, available working/growing area, yada, yada.

West Plains, MO

I thought the same thing so I designed one. You can see it at www.half-pinthomestead.com. Darius is right, no nutrients are needed, in fact they might cause mold. I keep mine in the living room.

Thumbnail by melwynnd

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.