need idea for edging w/bricks

lebanon, MO(Zone 5b)

Please help! I am edging yet another flower bed with some old bricks and don't want to do the same "vertical on a slant" method ... again. But I have Zoyzia grass and so will need to prevent any rhizomes from crossing into the bed. Suggestions ? Thank you.

Fairfax, VA(Zone 6b)

Have you thought of edging with the flat side of the brick end to end. You can run a wheel of the lawn mower right over the brick. As zoysia spreads you may wish to place a roll of edging of aluminum straight down into the soil behind the bricks to ensure the grass does not grow beyond the edging.

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

1. sink a barrier first as gardener joan suggested:using aluminum, plastic, whatever..
2. create a "dam" out from this area(see my gardening pics) anywhere from 6 to 15" or more. Weedeater helps to maintain this grass-free area without interfering or damage to your plants.
3. Now you can create a number of brick patterns to surround your bed, backfilling a bit to stabilize the bricks. A ray effect, sunburst effect depending on the number of bricks you have. Standing on short end or long end, varying the design instead of sticking to one pattern, lying flat on wide side or just your regular running brick pattern as in most brick houses. Experiment with any number of designs you make up, to see if you can "live with it" and your lawncare needs.
4. I have also experiment with broken flower pots, kids toys, plastic balls, busted commodes; let your imagination go. As a gardener I'm sure you have a pile of stuff you've lain aside to use later on. I have even seen a gardener use plastic milk bottles filled with colored water to surround a bed.

I look forward to see what you come up with!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images