Cobblewood Floor

Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX(Zone 8b)

I had a stack of 4' x 4" about 2' long that I had saved from the dump always knew I could do something with them. They have been sitting around for a few years now DH has taken a few to use for different things , goat feeders, raised garden beds and the list goes on :).
As we are building our house I have been looking at a lot of floors and decided on a cobblewood floor for the guest bath that will be all recycled wood, tin & brown paper so the floor fit right in .

Thumbnail by denimangle

First I gathered up all my 4x4s and started cutting after about 200 the saw burned up :(
so off I go to get us a new saw .
as DH is setting up said saw hes testing the cut size 3/4" is what it needs. He has told me over & over NEVER cut short wood . (this is a coumpound miter saw and it will hurt you .)
He picks up one of my shorts and makes a cut then goes for another .. Yeppers you gussed it he cut his finger lucky for him it was only 4 stitches and not the loss of the finger..
Hes fine .. back to cutting I need somewhere around 600 blocks

This message was edited Oct 11, 2011 7:03 AM

Thumbnail by denimangle

Next they have to be sanded to remove the rough edges. they will be sanded again after they are on the floor

Thumbnail by denimangle

on to the layout Or so I thought....
After a few setbacks I got the cobblewood floor down I knew the blocks were 2 different sizes but it wasn't that much of a difference or so I thought Untill I started doing the layout and after 3 rows the pattern was lost . As im using recycled wood and thought I had found all the 4 x 4s we had I would have to come up with something else . Not enough of either size to do the whole room ..
So I came up with the idea of all the LG SQs on the outside of the room and the smaller ones down the center we didn't see much of a color difference till we took pictures. Then I ran out of the smaller Sqs we hunted around and found a few more 4 x 4s some holding up the cast iron tub . some behind the weels of the 5th wheel etc it really got down to the last cut of wood

opps forgot the picture

This message was edited Oct 6, 2011 6:39 PM

so it worked out to this floor is dring and will get sanding sealer tomorrow

Thumbnail by denimangle

almost done

Thumbnail by denimangle
Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Brilliant! I can hardly wait to see the finished floor.

Thanks Elena ill post some more tomorrow

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I will look forward to it with great anticipation. You are sooooo clever.

Southern California, CA

Nice! and I like the name "cobblewood".

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7b)

Will you grout in between? Can't wait to see it finished.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

That is a good project and it is looking very nice, denimangle. ^_^

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I like the name cobble wood also. Very imaginative of you.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Can't wait to see it all done! All of the woods that you have used are so beautiful by themselves that when this all comes together - gosh!

thanks June,
Elena, as much as Id like to take credit for the cobblewood floor they have been around for a very long time
Got the floor coated with sanding sealer but then had to help DH put up 2 more beams.
may take tomorrow off or start the grout .. Ill know in the morning :)

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

You are one smart & talented lady! Beautiful job.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

will you put in the grout spacers as you go (i didn't see any) or after they are all laid out?

dahtzu, Thank you :)

Trackinsand , you could use the spacers but Ithe look I wanted was more done by eye more random
the blocks are already glued down, dry and sealed, ill grout next useing a 50/50 mix of sawdust & shellac

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

I think you have the right idea, denim. You wouldn't want that floor to look "perfect." Its charm and beauty lie in its imperfections.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I can't wait.........gotta see the final floor.......Do I act anxious or what?????

bivbiv, after making quilts for 30+ years with all points matching & corners all sq.
I am embracing the perfection of imperfection :)
the other 2 floors that will be cobblewood will be more tile like . But this bath is all recycled from floor to ceiling and should look like an old west bath house
so you are right on about the charm & beauty

I got started with the grout today
one bag of sawdust

Thumbnail by denimangle

2 gals of shellac

Thumbnail by denimangle

grouted & ungrouted so you can see whats going on . the grout needs to dry 3 days before sanding

Thumbnail by denimangle
Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I really like that!

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

It's going to knock your socks off!

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

That is going to be one very special floor that you will be quite proud of once you have finished all the hard work. Awesome.

Greenbrier, TN

Denim, how do you apply the sawdust and shellac? Do you clean the tops of wood as you go? I do mosaics and am going thru the grouting process. Is there a ratio to follow with the sawdust and shellac? What will you seal it with? So many questions. But I know you know this will last beacause of all the hard labor you have put into it. I was just wondering the process. And yes this floor will be beautiful when you get done. I was amazed how it looked it the pic with part done and undone. Awesome.

Brady, TX(Zone 8a)

Two main questions: how were you able to cut such thin slices of wood? and what's the light colored areas around the wood that hasn't been grouted? It's really an awesome floor and quite the labor of love!

mulege, Mexico

Beautiful work, Chreyl. I love recycled, rustic, etc and this is great.

katie

Thanks everyone
katzoe
sawdust and shellac 50/ 50 and I but it on with my hands and a paint stirstick
yes I do try and wipe as much off as I go just to keep sanding down I will all be sanded when grout dries
TX_gardener
your seeing the glue in the spaces between the blocks
I used a 12" sliding compound miter saw to cut the 4x4s
the next floor will be 4x6 useing the left over chunks of ceiling beam 2
& I think one will either be 2 x 4 or tree slices (if I can get DH to fall the small dead trees here on our place

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Wow!! That's ingenius! I love it!!!

Thanks ButterflyChaser

got the grout finished this afternoon nowi must wait till wed to do anything else :(

Thumbnail by denimangle
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7b)

Can't wait to see it sanded and totally finished, Is this in your bathroom to be? It almost looks like brick.

Hi curves
This will be the Guest Bath.... ALMOST everything in this room will be upcycled
it is a takeoff of cobblestone but easy to stand on and will last for ever

Hillsborough, NC

Denim ~ that is one impressive floor! I am awed by your creativity. GREAT work....can't wait to see more pictures!

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7b)

Denim,
When will you be finishing the whole bath? Can't wait to see it as a full bathroom.

hahaha!!! don't hold your breath it will be close to last im sure I still need to refinish the clawfoot tub, brown paper bag 2 walls then old barnwood on the botom 1/2 and old barntin on the upper half
make the sink, towel racks etc.
you can see the whole house on my Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.89980287900.85262.578677900&l=3bc25488ac&type=1

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150114755547901.277861.578677900&l=b3d4085623&type=1

Southern California, CA

Photos of building your house from the very beginning are wonderful, denim....

Dahlonega, GA

Only Denim could make this up . Saw something similar years ago , but to make it work ? You are amazing , girl .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images