Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Passifloras: Passion flavored tea

Communities > Forums > Passifloras
bookmark
Forum: PassiflorasReplies: 12, Views: 95
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

October 7, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8839954

I'd always thought when you'd see passion fruit being used in foood and beverages they were somehow gathering the juice from inside ..around the seeds.. and putting ths into the mix...
Today I was sitting having a lovely Jasmine tea from a chinese botique tea company.. and was shown by my hoast ... this designer her passon tea ...which she gave me some of and is pictured here... the mix had a number of corsely chopped items in it..
in the picture there's the pile of the tea mix... around the edge is... @ about
2 o'clock the tiny currants...
3 o'clock the tiny tea leaves..
4 o'clock corse chopped passion fruit skin
5 o'clock chunks of dried pineapple
So they are using the husk.. the outer covering of the fruit sliced and cubed to steep in with the tea... I wonder how many other items use the passion skin for the passion flavorings
and not the juce at all... and here I was throwing these away.. after getting the juice or seeds..

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Click the image for an enlarged view.

roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2011
9:03 AM

Post #8841968

I thought they used the leaves for tea.
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

October 9, 2011
12:10 PM

Post #8842165

Roxxanne... passion leaves for passion tea .. I never thought about it .. I was thinking maybe they juiced the passion fruit.. then soaked the slightly cured skin in it... then in getting the skin in a pot of tea... you were really just removing the passsion juice from it.. like a bit of a sponge.. maybe they treat the leaves in the same way... or maybe they use the skin in some and the leaves in others... as having different tastes and properties..
I bet we'd answer alot of these questions reading on the native uses of them
sunnyg
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 9, 2011
2:25 PM

Post #8842276

Here's some info on medicinal uses of passiflora. The second link has a section on brewing passiflora tea...interesting stuff for sure.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/871.html
http://theherbgardener.blogspot.com/2011/04/how-to-grow-passionflower.html
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2011
4:44 PM

Post #8842436

I'll be out picking some leaves tomorrow!
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

October 9, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8842596

interesting article.. the leaves have a depressive quality.. wonder what the skin of the fruit is like, or the juice??
gingerlily
Paxton, FL
(Zone 8a)

February 7, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #8998423

Gordon, years ago, Tom and I dried passionflower leaves and then crushed them and made a tea. He swears it is the best sleep aid. I've not heard of using the fruit for tea. Did I read somewhere that there is only one edible passionflower fruit or are they all edible?
candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 8, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #8998986

interesting article and ideas. i never thought of the skin or leaves. i guess it makes sense. i wonder too if you can use any passiflora or only the fruiting type? i have 3 different fruiting ones the green, purple possum, and granadilla? (some giant one that i got from a nieghbor). the only way i have ever had it was to scoop out the insides into a blender add water, blend, strain out the seeds. the water is so refreshing. the blender gets the jelly off them and doesnt hurt them. dry the seeds. plant and repeat! i am going to try the leaves...
gingerlily
Paxton, FL
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #8999414

Candela, that giant one you have, has it bloomed? I and a friend bought a passionflower with huge leaves from somewhere??? Wal-Mart or Lowe's??? But neither one of us has seen a bloom yet. Got it last spring. My friend said she read somewhere on a tag that it was enjoyed for the large tropical leaves. Surely it blooms.

The one we dried leaves from was the wild one that grows on our property in lower Alabama. I've always thought it was incarnata, maybe. It is a purple. But strangely, the blooms don't seem exactly the same as they did some years ago. The corona filaments are not as squigley (falcate?), much straighter now.
fernman23
HENDERSON, NV
(Zone 9a)

March 15, 2012
12:57 AM

Post #9043271

I use maypop flowers and leaves cut and dried for a tea all the time, mix it with my chamomile and dandelion root, great for a Nitetime tea!...it is very restive! ...the fruit itslf is too tart (that is being kind, lol) & there are lots and lots of garden edibles people dont know about, like ferntips, are great for you...the little culy fiddleheads i will cut some once ina while and put in salad, rouyal queen fern avaialable at most garden departments/nurseries and other varieties...full of greenfood goodness.
herbally yours
:Darren /fernman23
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9043593

I'm going to have to try the leaves as tea this year. My Maypop has delicious fruit, pretty sweet. I can't wait to have some again!
fernman23
HENDERSON, NV
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9044961

hi Roxxanne, if your Maypop fruit my plant may be incorrectly I.D.d…its poss. something close. But edible. Tricky part of getting and ID over the web via photos) White flowers and 2 in width, w/ purple and black stamen and "squigly'' parts; small orange bitter very seedy fruit and EXTREME vine growth with great winter survival, including snow to 115 in Summer. Whatever the variety, great tea.
birke
Broward County, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 10, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9236713

The only passion fruit plant to use, that I know of, is the Maypop (incarnata) to have sedative qualities. And that quality is only in the leaves. You can even buy tea bags made of them, being sold as a sleep aid.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Passifloras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Is anyone having trouble keeping up with name tags? Tropicman 16 Jul 24, 2007 5:43 AM
Am I blue? Ginger_H 6 Aug 16, 2008 6:19 PM
First passiflora bloom PudgyMudpies 14 Feb 7, 2008 2:28 PM
Pics of your passies, please? AuntB 250 Jul 24, 2007 11:20 AM
Passiflora Amethystina gordo 14 Apr 6, 2007 10:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America