Photo by Melody
PlantFiles is getting a new look! Just in time for spring, we're rolling out a new look for the best online plants database. It will also work with your smart phones and mobile devices, so now you can take it with you on garden center visits or botanical garden tours. Questions or comments? Please post them here.

Recipes: spiced apples

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 2, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8840249

I like spiced apples that are home canned with vinegar, sugar a half stick on Cinammon and maybe raisins. But the only recipes I can find for spiced apples are for cooking and eating now, without the vinegar.
Does anyone have a recipe for what I am looking for? I have checked 5 cookbooks including the Dave's Garden Cookbook.
lizardbreath
Boise City, OK
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2011
7:25 PM

Post #8840303

I am not sure if this will help you but I found this:

8-10 lbs apples
Fruit Fresh
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup red hots candy
2 sticks cinnamon
2 tsp whole cloves
1 tsp ground ginger
2 cups water
1 1/2 cups vinegar
2/3 cup light corn syrup
2 TBS red food coloring (optional)

Peel and slice apples sprinkle with Fruit Fresh to prevent darkening. Combine remaining ingredients in a large saucepot and bring slowly to boil. Drain apples and add to syrup mixture; simmer 4 minutes. Pack hot apples into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Ladle hot syrup over apples, remove bubbles, adjust two-piece caps and process 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2011
3:31 PM

Post #8841068

Yes, this is good. I may not use the red hots but I will probably add raisins. I also have seen pieces of nuts in this mix, like pecans. What I didn't know was the proportions were so you have answered my problem.
I really like the idea of ginger in this. Thanks.

This message was edited Oct 8, 2011 5:34 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America