Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cottage Gardening: Self sowing Asters

Communities > Forums > Cottage Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Cottage GardeningReplies: 0, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 8, 2011
2:51 PM

Post #8841025

I started out with 3 varieties of asters: September Ruby, which I grew from seed, New England Aster, which I transplanted the edge of the woods, and a tall, black stemmed light blue aster from the original Heronswood, which I forget the name of. For years, these colors have mostly kept to themselves, but this year I have noticed definite variations, from pink through light and very dark purple, light and dark fuchsia,
to a larger flowered very pale version of the heronswood aster. These are growing in different clumps for the most part, probably from self sown seedlings that I noticed and dug and moved.
Something to be said for not being overly compulsive about weeding!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cottage Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
my garden...ever changing notmartha 109 Jun 19, 2010 3:07 AM
The Evolution of a 1917 Cottage Garden lincolnitess 7 Jun 13, 2008 8:36 PM
June -to the end! notmartha 81 Mar 7, 2008 10:29 AM
i luv this pic notmartha 52 May 2, 2008 3:49 AM
Annuals in the Cottage Garden ladygardener1 68 Jun 6, 2010 1:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America