-
AuthorContent
salvialoveroz
Townsville
Australia

October 9, 2011
2:07 AM

Post #8841583

Does anyone know this salvia, I brought the plant as salvia reptans low form, obviously it is not, as the low form has larger blue flowers, it is African
I am thinking, the flowerhead reminds me a bit of salvia nilotica,though I have grown this as well and it isnt that so I believe.

Annette

Thumbnail by salvialoveroz
Click the image for an enlarged view.

salvialoveroz
Townsville
Australia

October 9, 2011
2:07 AM

Post #8841584

A pic of the foliage.

salvialoveroz
Townsville
Australia

October 9, 2011
2:08 AM

Post #8841585

Sorry having a blonde moment, try again:)

salvialoveroz
Townsville
Australia

October 9, 2011
2:52 AM

Post #8841596

I got to thinking that it maybe salvia merjamie, I have never had this salvia flower so not familiar with it, though the foliage is strongly scented .Anyone familiar with salvia merjamie?
2salvia
London
United Kingdom

October 9, 2011
10:21 AM

Post #8842058

Could be either...or a hybrid????? To be honest, I don't consider nilotica or merjamie to be garden-worthy, just curiosities.

Annette, this forum has been very inactive recently, more activity on the GW forum, though attaching photos to that can be a pain!

Robin.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2011
10:30 AM

Post #8842063

Foliage certainly looks like an African sage...so not one I would normally consider for here, thou I've had a few that would "momentarily grow/bloom, then bite the dust" once our high night time humidity hits. I grow "curiosities" sometimes, because well, I'm curious ! LOL.,I don't get so worked up over it anymore. ( and Robin, please don't take that as any kind of offense, I have a great deal of respect for you and the Salvia's you've grown !!!!!)
Yeah, I wish this forum would get a bit more activity...and if anyone wants to post on "another forum I'm probably not allowed to mention" that has very user friendly photo uploading just drop me a D-mail and I'll send you a link...I'd love to boost the activity there. And you'll probably see some great old friends there...
2salvia
London
United Kingdom

October 9, 2011
3:11 PM

Post #8842362

Why on earth would I take offence? I grow many curiosities, mainly just for interest!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2011
4:42 PM

Post #8842435

LOL...I don't know, just hedging my bets !!...sometimes I open mouth and insert foot big time...
Rich_dufresne
Candor, NC

October 17, 2011
9:16 AM

Post #8852497

If it is S. nilotica, be careful about it seeding out all over the place. It is native of the southeastern Mediterranean Basin, and loves those conditions. There is a very distinct difference in the calyx between New and Old World sages. The former have a calyx that has a V shaped opening from the side, and the latter have five unevenly but symmetrically distributed teeth on the tips of the calyx.
salvialoveroz
Townsville
Australia

October 19, 2011
2:33 AM

Post #8855064

Here is an up close and personal picture of this salvia merjamie maybe.

Rich_dufresne
Candor, NC

October 20, 2011
11:44 AM

Post #8857208

Andy Maycen, now in Hawaii, has Savana Blue, a hybrid of S. repens with S. namaensis. It is hardy in USDA Zone 7. It is not common because getting good cutting material is difficult. It goes to bloom within a couple nodes of branching.

It is a small shrub, useful in a rock garden.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Agastaches and Salvias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Salvia pictures from my garden Gerris2 133 Mar 21, 2007 6:49 PM
My favorite Salvias ecrane3 88 Jun 5, 2007 11:39 PM
Agastaches & Salvias I'm Getting Thru Mail Order Marilynbeth 55 Mar 11, 2007 10:49 PM
Agastache & salvia Ariel73 2 Apr 10, 2007 7:14 PM
Salvia 'Discolor' mrs_colla 9 Mar 13, 2007 6:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America