Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: holes in sweet potatoes what is this?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 14, Views: 79
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

October 10, 2011
4:55 AM

Post #8843049

I dug up my sweet potatoes and they have small holes in them they dont go deep more on the surface . is there a bug that makes these holes?can I cut those parts out and still use the potatoe? also I had one big potatoe that was partialy exposed to sunlight can I cut that end off or is the whole potatoe bad?

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 10, 2011
7:22 AM

Post #8843264

hummingtammy - yes, you can cut away the part that has been damaged by bugs. And, yes, you can cut away the part exposed to sunlight and eat the rest.

I've done this many times and lived to tell about it - LOL
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

October 10, 2011
8:28 AM

Post #8843359

honeybee thanks for the answer I wonder can I go ahead and can these sweets or do I have to let them cure?

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 10, 2011
8:42 AM

Post #8843380

hummingtammy - I don't know the answer to your question. However, it seems to me that sweet potatoes that have been stored for awhile taste sweeter than those just pulled from the ground. It might be my imagination, because in the middle of winter anything "fresh" tastes mighty fine! :)

I let sweets sit in wicker baskets in the garden room where the temperature stays around the mid-sixties. When the ones we haven't eaten begin to sprout, I cook, slice and freeze them.

I did a lot of canning in my younger days, but now I don't have the patience for washing and sterilizing equipment.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

October 10, 2011
10:30 AM

Post #8843533

I know what you mean about having to wash and just get everything ready to can . It wears me out, I started canning last year and it was so fun to me then, but now it isn't as much fun as it is work. I wanted to ask you how you freeze them?

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 11, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8845406

hummingtammy - to freeze the sweet potatoes; I first cook them either in the microwave or oven, then cut them in 1/4 to 1/2 inch rounds. I place the rounds into gallon sized freezer bags in a single layer and freeze flat. This way you can take out just what you need and reheat.

My favorite way to reheat is to put some oil in a skillet and brown the rounds on each side until they are crispy, and just this side of burnt! Sprinkle with a little salt after reheating.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

October 12, 2011
7:57 AM

Post #8846123

Sounds really yummy I am going to try that.
chedderpink
Anacortes, WA

October 16, 2011
12:14 PM

Post #8851192

Honeybee,
My Daughter does what you do with S potatoes, but she uses sliced parsnips and bakes them. barb

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2011
10:22 AM

Post #8852602

chedderpink - I like parsnips, too. A lot of people don't like the flavor. I usually steam mine, and serve them with salt, pepper and Smart Balance margarine.
Jim41
Delhi, LA

October 18, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8854526

Hummi, the potatoes get sweeter as they dry. If you can, store them in an outside building without any heat. The colder temps make for a sweeter potato. Dawson Farms, the biggest sweet potato producer in the states, places all his 1's and 2's in his warehouse that raises the temps to a high heat for a couple of weeks and then drops the temp to just above freezing. This triggers an enzyme in the potato that makes them sweet. He has the best potatoes I've eaten.
hummingtammy
Shirley, IN

October 21, 2011
6:15 AM

Post #8857975

Jim I will do that . the sweeter the better for me.
jannz2
Pilot Point, TX
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2011
7:25 AM

Post #8867848

When is the best time to plant sweet potatoes..??.. I tried it a couple of years ago... but if you can believe I can't remember what month I put them in. March..??.. April..??.. I don't remember.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2011
7:31 AM

Post #8867852

jannz2 - I'm in the same Zone7b as you and mine go in between April 22nd and May 5th, but your date may be different.

If you purchase slips online, they usually know the best date for your area. I have had good luck purchasing from this Company:

http://www.newhopeseed.com/
jannz2
Pilot Point, TX
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2011
8:17 AM

Post #8867896

Thanks HoneybeeNC... I'll set myself a reminder and to try the company you suggested. When I experimented last time I just took a sweet potato that had started to sprout and made my own 'slips'. Those were the BEST tasting sweet potatoes I've ever had.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2011
8:22 AM

Post #8867901

jannz2 - I planted two areas of sweet potatoes this year. One from New Hope Seed and one from my own that had started to sprout.

I haven't dug the ones from my own sweets yet, but the vines look good.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America