Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: Premature Daffodil Sprouting

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 5, Views: 60
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pupfoster1
Olney, MD

October 10, 2011
5:42 AM

Post #8843101

Hello everyone,

I have several areas of daffodil bulbs planted that for the past 2 years start sprouting again in the fall. This past year I got no blooms at all in the spring and I'm hoping to avoid that happening again.

Do you think they are not planted deep enough? If that's the case should I dig them all up or just layer on more soil? I have some others that were planted before we bought the house and they do beautifully every year.

Thanks in advance for any advance you might have!

Sharon
PhyllisMihalik
Chardon, OH

October 10, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8843888

One of 3 possibilities:
The bulbs are too shallow. Daffs in your area need to be down 6"+. That's from the TOP of the bulb. What is happening is that the bulbs use their energy outting out leaves then dont have enough left to flower. Easiest solution is to just add soil.
The bulbs are not getting enough sun to the leaves. Either they are planted in the shade or the leaves have been removed/bundled before they turned brown. In either case the result is the same. The leaves have not been able to produce enough sugar for the bulb to bloom the next year. If the bulbs are in the shade, move them. If you are removing the leaves before they start to turn brown or are bundling them, the bulbs that came with the house will eventually stop blooming too.
The bulbs need fertilizer. Do this anyway, during the entire growing season-when leaves are green.

Hope this helps.
shune
Burien, WA
(Zone 7b)

October 11, 2011
6:55 PM

Post #8845632

Are they crowded? The bulbs multiply over the years and when they are too crowded they don't bloom well. Just a thought. If that's the case, they should be dug up and replanted with more space between.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2011
5:19 AM

Post #8845945

Daffodils here always send up 2 to 3" of green growth in autumn. It will not affect next year's flowers.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

October 27, 2011
7:33 PM

Post #8866445

My daffodils do the same thing: Sprouts come up now, then sort of sit there until spring. Same for dutch iris, tritonia, and watsonia. They still bloom at their correct time.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 29, 2011
7:48 AM

Post #8867869

It's possible that your daffodils are the warm climate types. paperwhites and other types of daffodils/narcissus grow in the mild weather. i planted paperwhites in new york (7a) and was lucky to have a mildish winter (otherwise they would have died). i was given the gift of sprouts throughout winter, unfazed by some snowfall, and then tons of white musky flowers in spring. do you have a label from when you bought the bulbs? maybe you can have them identified better. hope this helps

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America