AuthorContent

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 10, 2011
6:58 AM

Post #8843231

You've nailed the essence of the pumpkin! It has been given such personality in our culture.
A nice read!
One volunteer pumpkin vine gave me the most perfect pumpkin I've ever seen. That was from a previous carved one left to 'melt' in the garden. But in general its not the best way to get what you want. I've had lots of oddball pumpkin/squashy things. I have a hard time weeding out those volunteers.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 10, 2011
1:22 PM

Post #8843703

Yes, a great read! I loved your description of the blazing pumpkin-orange setting sun, and that city pumpkin is just too cool.

We drove out to a local orchard yesterday, and they had a huge display of pumpkins in the shape of a towering triangle, each in its own cubby. Joyanna (now 2) was enchanted and took her time choosing a small pumpkin to bring home. (Larger carving-size pumpkins will be procured next weekend LOL.)

Thumbnail by critterologist
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BennysPlace
Beverly Hills, CA

October 10, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8843863

Hi there Sally and Jill! :)

@Sally, thank you so very kindly. This article came to me when I discovered that pumpkin growing on its own outside the gate. I was walking to Denver Botanic Gardens and once I got there, I got my notebook out and wrote the bulk of this article. :) These vines can sometimes be a bear to get rid of once established. Then again it could be fun to let them yield an unintended crop for you. :) Thank you again!

@Jill, thank you so kindly as well! :) I love that photo. We have yet to take our drive to get the pumpkins. Perhaps this weekend. Next year I won't have to buy any at all for I will have created a pumpkin patch of my own. I have missed having a patch so it will be great to have one again. :)

Thank you ladies so much for your comments. I do appreciate hearing from my fellow writers. I do read your articles as well -- I should start commenting shouldn't I?

Take good care and enjoy this glorious autumn.

Blessings,
Benny
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 10, 2011
5:17 PM

Post #8844027

I introduced a former neighbor to gardening... well, more accurately, I introduced her younger daughter to plants, and she was so enthusiastic that her mother became intrigued! At any rate, they had a volunteer pumpkin pop up in their front landscape bed, and they thought it was great... nurtured it all summer and had pumpkins from it that fall. :-)

When we open a pumpkin for carving and Joyanna discovers the seeds inside, I know she will want to 1) eat them and 2) plant them. She thinks the seeds are the tastiest part of the little peppers we grow. ?? LOL
BennysPlace
Beverly Hills, CA

October 11, 2011
7:58 PM

Post #8845728

@Jill -- very sweet. :) Her pallet can handle more than mine. I actually avoid pepper seeds -- too spicy. :) I LOVE the pumpkin seeds sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. :)

Now that I think of this pumpkin outside the gate -- there were trashcans there. I wonder... Could this volunteer I photographed be the result of a thrown away pumpkin from last year. If so.. clever little vines.

Take care!
Benny
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 29, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9319512

I grew Atlanta Dills this year - very big.
But I also tried the Cinderalla pumpkins too.
They are French (I heard) pretty and good to eat too.

Yes I can say they are both!

The biggest one is rather depressed around the stem and catches a lot of rain water. The dog loves it - it is her own personal drinking bowl.

They even have warted ones too.

Good article - loved reading it.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9319576

I have to chuckle at your dog. So funny; ours too prefers rainwater it seems. But I haven' t serbed it in a pumpkin yet.!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 29, 2012
9:34 PM

Post #9319759

Glad I gave you a chuckle, cause is has given me several chuckles all this fall to see her drinking out of it.

It is a lovely pumpkin -- and apparently is very useful, for the dog.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: For the Love of a Gourd Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Enchanting article nutsfordaylily 0 Oct 28, 2012 9:00 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America