Photo by Melody

Article: True Confessions of a Gardening Addict: I am the female version of Jeremy, HELP

Communities > Forums > Article: True Confessions of a Gardening Addict
bookmark
Forum: Article: True Confessions of a Gardening AddictReplies: 3, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
suzettesprouts
Philadelphia, PA

October 10, 2011
9:01 AM

Post #8843402

I was so engrossed in the story because I thought for a while it was my biography. I am hopelessly addicted to planting. I can not stop. I mean it. I have even convinced my family to convert our storage shed into a temp. greenhouse for the winter. This is a huge demand on my family. We have a 12x15 foot shed for our storage of seasonal items and often go in and out for the family's needs. Now we are having to pay for a storage facility to hold all our stuff so mom can continue her desire to be with her plants. This radical behavior, for the simple fact we can NOT afford that storage unit. But my plants are so much more important.I am crazy and defend myself to extreme lengths to justify my addiction. I go to bed with dirt under my nails I wake up pour a cup of coffee and drink it while saying good morning to my garden.Worrying over every detail as though some thing tragic happened while I slept. Researching everything about every plant i have and keeping my journal that I have accumulated over 20 full journals of notes on all my success and failures. I am not even interested in winning prizes or acknowledgment for my work I do it because my blood is green. I swear , I am not kidding I bled green. I am one of Philadelphia's crazy plant ladies well known for planting plants anywhere there seems to be a spot that needs that extra touch. Then at the end of each season all that time and money wines up being donated to neighbors or anyone with dirt ground for my gorgeous perennials for the winter and yes, I actually have rented real estate for my plants over the winter. But not this year because we have spent an added fortune of renting a ridiculous storage unit so I can still putz with my plants all winter long.As for hopelessness in this matter, anyone like me in the area please reach out to me at my email address. Do not know if I can change but would like to know how to dial it back some , alright a lot.Please if you live anywhere near Philly please contact me. really!
drini7
Santa Fe, NM

October 15, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9306226

I hear ya! My brother (it's his house and yard) is getting as addicted as I am. His passion is lilies...we have lilies EVERYWHERE. I went thru an Iris addiction last year and am probably as black listed as Elaine Bennis was on "Seinfeld" by all the doctors, only it's iris growers who had to put up with my constantly changing orders.

This year my addiction is tulips and anemones. I almost went crazy getting this new anemone from England that I thought were 20 for 5.75 pounds but turned out it was an EACH price. Close to $200 without shipping. I restrained myself.

We considered adding a glass sunroom to my casita since ALL the coleus and some palms are now living inside my room for the winter. The living room of his house is HIS greenhouse. Then we thought about enclosing the second floor porch off the attic storage but watering would have been a nightmare proposition. I'm in Santa Fe or I'd be in PA (almost worked at Longwood Gardens during hort school) right beside you. Getting ready to put out tulips, daffodils, more iris, peonies, poppies, lupines, crocus, hyacinth and more! I love knowing I'm not the only demented plant lover out there!
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 18, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9361641

It is so comforting to find that I am not alone in my wild dementia for gardening! At a doctor's office recently, I flipped through a "Time" magazine to a page that included all the new psychiatric disorders that were now accepted for the DSM. Though you can now get treatment through your health insurance for skin excoriation and other seemingly mild problems, plantaholism, alas, is still an unrecognized mental aberration. We are left to just support each other in our addiction and await that day when our family and friends may step in with a friendly intervention (but, I wouldn't attend unless they each brought me a new plant LOL).

Jeremy
suzettesprouts
Philadelphia, PA

January 14, 2013
8:06 AM

Post #9384519

Thank you gardening addicts one and all for your kind support. This summer almost tried really hard the weather did to discourage me and my endeavors. Between the extreme heat and lack of rain 47 days straight no rain, and then there was the wind, gusting constantly. If I wasn't running around frantic watering up to four hours a day I was picking up topple over planters from the gusts of wind strong enough to knock over 75 lbs containers. You can only imagine the damage done by the winds alone. But as Autumn arrived and I was wrapping up the garden I saved more then any non-addict would ever save, to put in my still converted shed greenhouse. Now though I have full electricity and sound system etc perfect escape for me. Any other closet gardeners out there willing to confess especially in the Philadelphia region. Contact me if you can find me in the garden jungle of my shed.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: True Confessions of a Gardening Addict Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Plant Addicts Unite! chrissy100 35 Oct 29, 2007 1:19 AM
Jeremy, what a saga! Happy_1 11 Oct 28, 2007 3:09 PM
By request: Enlargeable photos - 1 JaxFlaGardener 3 Nov 4, 2009 4:54 PM
By request: Enlargeable photo 2 JaxFlaGardener 3 Nov 4, 2009 6:43 PM
By request: Enlargeable photo 3 JaxFlaGardener 3 Nov 4, 2009 5:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America