Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Passifloras: In search of Passiflora macrocarpa. Can you help?

Communities > Forums > Passifloras
bookmark
Forum: PassiflorasReplies: 11, Views: 120
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PassifloraCraze
St Louis, MO

October 10, 2011
7:23 PM

Post #8844235

In a nutshell, I've searched everywhere for Passiflora macrocarpa - preferably rooted cuttings - and all I have found is that Kartuz Greenhouses (CA, USA) has a listing for the plant in their catalog but is not currently in stock, and Butterfly World (FL, USA) is out of their seeds in the shop. There are a few sources in Europe, but those nurseries do not ship to the USA, and it would undoubtedly be super expensive if they did. Yes, I even checked the marketplace here at DG.

Passiflora macrocarpa (also erroneously identified as Passiflora "Blue Moon" and another name or two) - NOT Passiflora quadrangularis. I'm talking about the one with the purple ("blue") flowers, not quadrangularis with the red/purple flowers. (See the photo.)

The most proof I have seen yet that the plants even exist on this side of the Atlantic Ocean are the photos from a few users here on DavesGarden.

Does anyone have rooted cuttings of this passie that they would be willing to sell? Or even just the live plants from which they have not previously attempted to take cuttings?

I would love to hear from some of the folks who actually have this plant, but I would appreciate -polite- feedback from anyone. Does anyone know where to get ahold of this captivating plant?

Thumbnail by PassifloraCraze
Click the image for an enlarged view.

PassifloraCraze
St Louis, MO

October 12, 2011
9:52 AM

Post #8846284

Really? No one knows anything about this passie and no one has it? I'd gladly buy a rooted cutting, if only I had a clue if anyone left in the USA has this passie.
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2011
12:42 PM

Post #8846440

I would try Dmailing the people who have pics in the plant files, That's worked for me in the past. I'll keep my eyes peeled for you. Also try emailing some of the bigger passie sellers on ebay.
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

October 12, 2011
3:54 PM

Post #8846661

Found this source online:
http://www.rarexoticseeds.com/passiflora-quadrangularis-seeds-giant-granadilla-seeds.html?___store=english

PassifloraCraze
St Louis, MO

October 12, 2011
3:58 PM

Post #8846674

[quote="roxxanne"]I would try Dmailing the people who have pics in the plant files, That's worked for me in the past. I'll keep my eyes peeled for you. Also try emailing some of the bigger passie sellers on ebay.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely give that a shot!

I'm still trying to get a response from Kartuz Greenhouses on whether or not they will have this particular passie back in stock.

PassifloraCraze
St Louis, MO

October 12, 2011
4:02 PM

Post #8846681

[quote="lepfarmer"]Found this source online:
http://www.rarexoticseeds.com/passiflora-quadrangularis-seeds-giant-granadilla-seeds.html?___store=english

[/quote]

Actually, it turns out that they're completely different. They look very similar and various nurseries and greenhouses are ERRONEOUSLY using the two names interchangeably, but Passiflora macrocarpa and Passiflora quadrangularis are separate species. I managed to get some clarification on that from Michael Kartuz (Kartuz Greenhouses).

I have 7 one-year-old quadrangularis specimens strung up inside my home in a most unusual manner. After a month indoors with mostly just LED grow lights, they seem OK, but we shall see.
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2011
5:31 PM

Post #8846793

Logees has the Quadrangularis ... sorry nothing on the other one
http://www.logees.com/Passion-Flower-Giant-Granadilla-Passiflora-quadrangularis/productinfo/R1854-2/
PassifloraCraze
St Louis, MO

October 12, 2011
7:24 PM

Post #8846939

[quote="GordonHawk"]Logees has the Quadrangularis ... sorry nothing on the other one
http://www.logees.com/Passion-Flower-Giant-Granadilla-Passiflora-quadrangularis/productinfo/R1854-2/[/quote]

Apparently, it's pretty difficult to find. It also appears as Passiflora "Blue Moon" around the net, though it is supposedly a species, not a hybrid.
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2011
8:39 PM

Post #8846997

This message was edited Oct 12, 2011 10:41 PM
Passionflowerz
Punta Gorda, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 17, 2011
8:33 AM

Post #8894097

Oh dear Passifloracraze, I think they have your seeds back in stock! :) Hurry!
http://www.butterflyworld.com/ECOMMERCE/products.php?cat=3
PassifloraCraze
St Louis, MO

November 18, 2011
5:38 PM

Post #8896199

[quote="Passionflowerz"]Oh dear Passifloracraze, I think they have your seeds back in stock! :) Hurry!
http://www.butterflyworld.com/ECOMMERCE/products.php?cat=3[/quote]

Nope, it's the same as it was before. It appears to be in stock, but when you click on it, you're taken to a page that says it's out of stock. ButterflyWorld's online catalog is a disaster. And I'm not sure what to make of passiflora hybrids being made available in seed form. Do those seeds even house a viable embryo?

Aloha Tropicals has "Warmlands" listed in their catalog, but after multiple emails, they still refuse to answer at all. Poor service.

I'm led to believe that most of the companies offering seeds or plants have absolutely no idea what they actually have. I've seen plenty of goof-ups and mislabels around the web. And I continue to see photos of P. macrocarpa and P. quadrangularis used interchangeably, but they are NOT the same. "Warmlands" and "Lowlands" and "Blue Moon" are still used to refer to both, and none are currently correct.

Kartuz Greenhouses is the only company I would trust at this point to know what they have when listing P. macrocarpa in their catalog, but it's not currently available.
Passionflowerz
Punta Gorda, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 18, 2011
5:44 PM

Post #8896209

Yep, you're right. I just tried that at Butterfly, and it did just as you said. I wonder if Grassy Knoll is worth you writing, as they carry actual living plants, and
although I don't see your macrocarpa listed, they may be able to either find one for you and sell, or know a reliable buyer. It is surely a bloom worth looking for!
Notice that they too, have an 'out of stock' notice, but if you read the top of each page, I think that's because they won't ship again until April due to weather.
It's at least worth a try? I really hope you find your bloom! :)

http://gkexoticplants.com/

This message was edited Nov 18, 2011 9:47 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Passifloras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Is anyone having trouble keeping up with name tags? Tropicman 16 Jul 24, 2007 5:43 AM
Am I blue? Ginger_H 6 Aug 16, 2008 6:19 PM
First passiflora bloom PudgyMudpies 14 Feb 7, 2008 2:28 PM
Pics of your passies, please? AuntB 250 Jul 24, 2007 11:20 AM
Passiflora Amethystina gordo 14 Apr 6, 2007 10:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America