AuthorContent

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 11, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8844929

We came from here in case you would like to revisit http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1201443/

With the onset of fall and rut season about to begin the deer are out and about a lot right now. I hadn't seen our "spring doe" since early July. The last time I saw her she had a very visible limp. She showed up yesterday in the neighbors garden with 3 or 4 fawns(or possible at least one small yearling) with her. I have know way to be sure if one of them is hers or not. But she is still limping badly so I fear the damage is permanent. I will worry about her all winter now.

She is on her way out here...

This message was edited Oct 11, 2011 11:48 AM

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Click the image for an enlarged view.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 11, 2011
8:46 AM

Post #8844932

Was trying to determine if this is a young buck. If it is, this may be her fawn and soon he will be pushed out on his own.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 11, 2011
8:49 AM

Post #8844936

Young doe...

Thumbnail by nanny_56

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 11, 2011
8:50 AM

Post #8844940

Another enjoying the garden!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 11, 2011
8:51 AM

Post #8844943

awwwww...time to go!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

October 11, 2011
6:05 PM

Post #8845568

So beautiful, Nanny. I'm sure the neighbor's must not enjoy them as much though. ;) Thanks for the new thread.

A dragonfly, they were very busy reproducing last month.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

October 11, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8845650

Mating dragonfly.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 12, 2011
7:25 AM

Post #8846077

How sweet Nanny, I love the peering from behind the tank at you. The animals seem to adapt to things like that. I can't tell you how many birds I see living normally with only one leg around here. They do learn how to take advantage though and know people feel sorry and so they play the sympathy card...it is pretty obvious because they'll come right up to us thinking we'll give them food.

Burn the dragon flies have been mating here also, two were on my hammock, I tried to get a picture because I thought it funny to see them on the hammock...but they got spooked and took off...still together mind you...lol.

Here is a critter in my backyard...don't think I've posted it here, have on other photo pages...a very pretty skink.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 12, 2011
7:33 AM

Post #8846092

Since we go camping in our RV I see FL deer often. I always take my camera on my walks through the woods...this is one of my favorite shots of the many deer pics I have.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2011
9:15 AM

Post #8846243

I love watching dragonflies...didn't see as many this year here. Nice shots burn!

That is so cute sunkissed! I have seen deer everyday since last Saturday when I walk our dog around the neighborhood.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2011
9:35 AM

Post #8846268

Wonderful pics. everyone. I'm so jealous of those that get to see Deers in close proximity. I occassionally spot them from a distance. By the time I fumbling for my camera they would be long gone. lol Great jobs! Love those dragonflies too burn.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 26, 2011
8:33 AM

Post #8864357

Was camping last week and was photographing wildflowers when out of the woods next to the field I was in came a running buck. He put on his brakes and came to a stop snorting at me and we both were taken by surprise. I didn't know if he was going to charge me or what...but had the camera in my hand and on...so I quick took a picture of him. He turned and took off and I'm sure he was just glad the camera wasn't a gun. I've never been that close to a buck before and sure he had never been that close to a human before.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 26, 2011
8:41 AM

Post #8864368

Awesome photo!! I have run into a couple of bucks here and there and you do have to be careful...especially during rut season. We had an older on that would just look and move on, But there is a younger one now and he is more aggressive. He will stomp and snort and move towards me. I head his warnings and I move on ...quickly!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 26, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8864371

While kayaking got a great couple shots of a great blue heron

Thumbnail by sunkissed

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 26, 2011
8:45 AM

Post #8864373

Here is a great clear shot showing the full breeding plumage...what a beautiful water bird...

Thumbnail by sunkissed

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2011
9:03 AM

Post #8864395

Wow, sunkissed. I've seen many-a GBRs before, but haven't been so lucky to capture one that's in breeding plumage. Sure is a grant looking bird! Beautiful Buck shot above. Nan, uh I wished not to be so close to 'em bucks. lol

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 26, 2011
9:06 AM

Post #8864400

A Tri-colored Heron and turtles while kayaking in the Wekiwa River

Thumbnail by sunkissed

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 26, 2011
9:07 AM

Post #8864401

A close up of the Tri-colored Heron...

Thumbnail by sunkissed

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 26, 2011
9:10 AM

Post #8864408

Lily I do have to say it was one of the greatest I've ever seen also...and it didn't seem to care about me photographing, guess they are used to kayakers taking their pictures.

And of course what is a kayak ride without seeing a gator...just a little four footer, but all we saw out there...which is okay by me...lol.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2011
9:13 AM

Post #8864413

Aye ya! My knees feel weak just thinking seeing those gators in person. lol

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 26, 2011
9:15 AM

Post #8864416

nanny if you look close enough you can see his nostrils flared up...yeah I couldn't do much but hope he'd go back into the woods...I mean we were both face to face long enough for me to get the picture, but glad I got the picture...one I'll always remember the story behind it.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 26, 2011
9:19 AM

Post #8864420

Lily my DH loves to kid around with me and try to get a closer look at them...but I always remind him of the paddle I have in my hand and wouldn't feel to good to get walloped with it...Him...not the gator...my brother did that once...he said he'd never do that again. :--(

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 26, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8864851

Sunkissed...yeah not much you can do...I have had a couple of those surprise run ins while in the woods! Fantastic shots from you kayaking...Gorgeous Herons...all of them!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

November 9, 2011
3:42 PM

Post #8883487

Hello all. I tend to neglect this forum, which I should rectify, because there are amazing critters that I never see.

Yesterday, I went to a town 200km south of Perth. I stopped by the Leschenault Inlet on the way down and again on the way back. Lots of kangaroos with joeys. I have 4 shots to share.

Thumbnail by MargaretK

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

November 9, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8883490

This one jumped over towards me to show off her prize.

Thumbnail by MargaretK

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

November 9, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8883493

Another with legs and a tail sticking out of her pouch.

Thumbnail by MargaretK

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

November 9, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8883499

The big bulge on the one closest to the camera has a joey snuggled deep in her pouch. The one in front of and just behind that one has the joey poking its head out.

Thumbnail by MargaretK

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2011
4:00 PM

Post #8883521

Love them all Margaret. My favorite is the mama showing you her baby. Too cute. Gosh, they are powerful animals.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2011
4:09 PM

Post #8883537

Wowwies! How socialized those mummies are! How precious. Margaret, do they just give birth and raise one "Joey" at a time? How neat is that?
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

November 9, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8883555

They really are powerful, GG. Those back legs can easily disembowel.

Kim, the roos will typically have a joey in the pouch and an almost embryonic little one semi-permanently attached to a teat inside the pouch. The female will give birth to a joey, which at birth is about the size of a jelly bean and looks nothing at all like a kangaroo. The embryonic new-born will make its way up its mother's belly into the pouch, where it will lock on to a nipple and remain there, growing slowly over several months. In the meantime, its older sibling will continue to grow and eventually become too large for her pouch, which then allows the developing joey to occupy the pouch and then the mother will give birth again and the cycle is repeated. I hope I've got that right.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 10, 2011
5:09 AM

Post #8884343

Oh I love the photos, what an attractive animal...and very interesting facts of the babies. What a remarkable site to see in person. Thanks for sharing the photos Margaret.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2011
12:56 PM

Post #8884991

Oh wow...So glad you got those shots and posted them here!!! AWESOME!!! We would love to see more critters from Oz here!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

November 10, 2011
1:48 PM

Post #8885053

A pleasure, sunkissed and nanny. The kangaroos are also amazingly soft to the touch. I wouldn't try petting a roo in the wild because I'm rather attached to my intestines, but in large wildlife parks, the roos are so tame that they can be approached with ease.
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8885151

Hmmmmmmmmmm! So, Margaret that is a polite way of saying you do not want the crap kicked out of you??
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

November 10, 2011
4:22 PM

Post #8885187

Yes, that's one way of putting it. LOL. Actually what an aggressive roo will do is rear back, using its strong tail as a support and will kick forward with its hind legs. The centre toe is huge and can rip another roo or a hapless human apart. They will also use there front legs to do a bit of "boxing" with, but its the hind legs that can do enormous damage.

By the way, nanny, I thought of you the day before yesterday. I was "down south" and was talking to a guy as I was watching an osprey nest (surprise surprise). A jogger came past and he called to her to watch out as he'd just seen a very large tiger snake (deadly) close by. Without missing a beat, she said "cheers" as she jogged on by, avoiding the grassy part where the snake had last been seen. You learn to live with their presence and take the necessary precautions - such as long grass near water.
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8885428

She was either very brave or very stupid. Upon hearing that warning, I would have had three options; jump the grass and jog on water; retreat, or end up in the nest with the Osprey!! I am absolutely terrified of snakes of any kind!!

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2011
12:17 PM

Post #8886057

NO...one does not learn to live with them!! l would have said "cheers" & promptly made a U turn back the way I came! lol

A few of you have already seen this...This is at a nearby farm I drive by on one of my routes into town. They have a bit of everything so we all call it MacDonald's Farm.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2011
12:19 PM

Post #8886059

And goats...which I just love. I want to have goats sooo baaad!! lol

Thumbnail by nanny_56

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2011
12:21 PM

Post #8886061

A neighbors dog...Bear!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

November 11, 2011
12:56 PM

Post #8886134

LOL, what an hilarious bunch.

Margaret nice set of photos and great info with it.

Nanny love the dog, he look more like a wolf then a dog. :)

sunkissed, love the Heron shots and your skink.

I finally got my laptop.That was a long wait. I have a bunny to share.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2011
1:22 PM

Post #8886174

nanny_56 wrote:A neighbors dog...Bear!

Looks more like a Wolf to me!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

November 11, 2011
1:50 PM

Post #8886218

Sweet little puppy your neighbours have, nanny :)

Burn, I had a rabbit that looked exactly like the one in your photograph. She was such a beautiful girl.
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2011
3:00 PM

Post #8886320

Right on about never getting used to those crawly things Nanny. Love the goats, makes me miss Mama Goat and the babies! Wow, that is one big dog. Hope you and he are friends, if not, better work on that! LOL Burn, love the bunny, so pretty.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8886388

I think it is possible that Bear does have some wolf in him...but the owners say he doesn't. But he sure has one heck of a howl! Actually they rescued this dog...the previous owner moved out of a house and left the dog to fend for it's self. The very first time I saw him he was running down the road with a squirrel in its mouth. As long as Bear is on his tie out we are good!

I miss Mama Goat and those cute babies too!
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

December 6, 2011
1:25 PM

Post #8918915

Margaret, I felt like picking up that rabbit and bring him home. I found him by the side of the road, near a wooded area. But figured it might have been a pet to the people across the street. It was pretty far from home. Do you still have your pet chicken? I would love to see a picture of it.

Nanny, when I looked at the picture of bear the dog again, I saw he has Husky and Shepherd. Very nice.

I found this ferocious kitty in my crab tree,(not just a sweet kitten) Friday morning. He was stuck up there poor thing, and needed help to get down. I found it's owner, he did not realize the kitten was gone. I got to enjoy it for a few hours. He was very playful.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

December 6, 2011
1:27 PM

Post #8918920

After all this spent energy, he needed a nap.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

December 6, 2011
1:29 PM

Post #8918927

After much needed rest, he was up for bird watching.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

December 6, 2011
4:40 PM

Post #8919179

Good work, Burn. No, my darling chicken died in March after a really long battle. I do miss her.
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8919347

Burn that orange tabby looks like my Tommy. I had to give him away. I miss him so much.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

December 6, 2011
7:49 PM

Post #8919386

GG, I had an orange cat too, called Amber. His sibling chased him away one night, and he never came back to live here. I did see him a couple of times after, but he would never come to me. I missed him terribly. That is why i enjoyed the company of this small kitten, he reminded me of him.

Margaret so sorry about your pet hen. They become part of the family, and it hurts when they die. I had to bring my pet cat Shadow in June. to have him put to sleep. He was the sibling that chase Amber away.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

December 6, 2011
9:50 PM

Post #8919574

They sure do become part of our lives, Burn. The pain of loss is so intense, but it's a pain that is well worth it for the love that is shared whilst they're with us. And knowing we will probably outlive our pets, we still keep going back for more, don't we?

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 14, 2011
6:30 AM

Post #8929046

Wow lots of catching up to do...nanny Bear looks like a cross between German Shepherd and wolf...what an interesting looking dog.
I guess goats are pretty popular in Florida...I see them everywhere...funny place I always see a herd grazing at is an empty corner lot..right next to a huge shopping mall...seems like such a peculiar place to have goats.

Burn what a cute little kitten...cats don't last outside around here too long...maybe gators????

I love orange tabbies...they seem to have such unique personalities.

My tree is up...and my cats seem to think I put this tree up just for them...Simba and Oreo napping under the tree...

Thumbnail by sunkissed

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2011
7:06 AM

Post #8931835

Beautiful kitties sunkissed. Cats are just plain wonderful.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 16, 2011
12:05 PM

Post #8932160

Went to the vets office to get some medication for Gus and they had the cutest orange kitten laying up on the desk. They have him up for adoption...so wish I could have brought him home.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

December 30, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8948319

I agree, cat are wonderful creatures, I love their playful mode.

I found this Ruffed Grouse up in a tree while on a drive in the country. Some of you might have seen it on the bird forum, cause I post it there as well.
Don`t get to see them very often.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8948323

That is a cool bird, burn.

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

January 29, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #8986373

Reddish Egret...just looks cold out there today.

Russell

Thumbnail by yakmon

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #8986987

This old chap is still around

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #8987112

The 'ole chap looks very nice Resin. Love that Egret Russell.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

January 29, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #8987337

Nice shot of the Egret, Yakmon. It;s fun to see wildlife from other area.
Resin, do you know how old he is. and what's their life expectancy, if they don't fall victims to predators?

I'm still on the lookout for Moose. There was one around last week. I've seen tracks in the snow, just up the hill, from where I live. Very close to home.

A white spider with atouch of red on both side.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #8987375

Whoa! It would be so neat to see a Moose, burn. That's one tiny tinsy spider! Found these turtles sunbathing the other day.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #8988002

burn_2007 wrote:Resin, do you know how old he is. and what's their life expectancy, if they don't fall victims to predators?

Not sure, but probably 8-10 years old; it is unknown origin but probably an escape from a deer farm. Red Deer longevity is 10-15 years in the wild, up to 20 in captivity.

Resin

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #8988325

What a handsome animal Resin...Thanks for posting!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 31, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #8989163

Ahhh some great photos...glad to see this thread pop back up on my watched again.

I really love seeing the creatures of other places. Lily I love turtles...I photograph them all the time. Burn that spider is interesting ...like the comparison to the brush for its size.

That is one nice looking Moose Resin...we see those when we go to the mountains up north.

Yakmon that Egret looks like he's in a real hurry...good shot.

Our January camping trip saw this wood stork by the lake...he didn't seem to mind me photographing him at all.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 31, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #8989166

Also on the same camping trip early this month we saw a rare bird to see around here, a Limpkin - Aramus guarauna

Thumbnail by sunkissed

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 31, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #8989168

Two Limpkins together...

Thumbnail by sunkissed

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #8989203

Cool shots! sunkissed.

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

January 31, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #8989996

Very cool sunkissed!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 16, 2012
9:53 PM

Post #9009507

Whilst at the river yesterday afternoon, two Bottlenose Dolphins were working the area. Twice they came along in the shallows so close to shore that if they were any closer they'd have beached themselves. They were right at my feet - so close that I couldn't even take a photo of them. Here are a couple as they moved away. That's the dolphin at the left of the frame. I never, ever tire of watching these beautiful cetaceans.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK
Click an image for an enlarged view.

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #9009612

What a treat! I love Dolphins. I cannot believe how close they were. Next time take along a micro lens. LOL
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

February 17, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9010600

Awesome find Margaret, I'd never get tired of them either.

Sunkissed those are wonderful shots of the Stork and Limpkin.

Lily, I love turtles. Had some as pets, a while back.

I did see a Moose a few days ago. But couldn't get a picture of it.

A little confrontation among deers. No one got hurt.

This message was edited Feb 18, 2012 12:15 AM

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

February 17, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9010613

A gathering of deers, where some people feeds them hay.

The lone one, I took through the mirror of my car. It was crossing the road, behind it.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 17, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9010622

Good shots, Burn. The deer look to be very well fed. Your last shot, taken in the rear view mirror is brilliant.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

February 17, 2012
9:25 PM

Post #9010654

Thanks Margaret. Oh they were very well fed, It seem like most of the neighborhood, at the end of that road, had grains and hay, set out for them. There was about 15 to 20 deers out feeding.
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 18, 2012
4:19 AM

Post #9010743

Burn, love the deer shots. Beautiful country where you are. That shot taken in your mirror is amazing!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 21, 2012
5:15 AM

Post #9014344

Margaret great to capture the Dolphin above water...not an easy task. While we were camping there was one playing in the water in front of us while we were sitting on the dock. My darn point and shot camera kept missing it every time it came up...all I got was rippled water shots. :)

Burn what nice shots of the deer in the snow...so pretty. Would never know the one was in a mirror...pretty cool.

These critters are were in my garden the past two weeks...very early to see Monarch cats. They have now gone off to make butterflies. But I see two new larvae now.

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 21, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9014349

I did capture a turtle though...they sit nice and still..I just love turtles. And a Great Blue Heron.

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

March 6, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9032612

Thanks GG and Sunkissed.
Can't wait for Spring, now that I've seen your Monarch cats, Sunkissed. I've planted a mikweed plant last year, to try to attract the Monarch butterfly. Hope it will host some cats for me this Summer. I have a Black Swallowtail in chrysalis, since last fall. And have about 20 Polyphemus Moths cocoons, waiting for Spring emergence.
Cute turtle!

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

March 6, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9032659

The Red Squirrel came back, I thought he had fallen prey to the Copper's Hawk.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9032680

Bernadette, the Red Squirrel is a cutie. I'm so delighted to see you have the "cats" hibernating and waiting for spring. Sherri, it's so nice to see those Mornach cats. Looking forward to spring.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9034971

They are so cute!!
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

April 26, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9098971

Thanks Kim and Nanny, That's about all the critter I'm getting lately. My sister took, a couple of shots of this fox. I believe it's a cross between a red and silver fox.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9099143

The fox is quite foxy! Hope you'll soon get your toy back from the doctor Bernadette. :))
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

April 26, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9099236

LOL thanks Kim, Hated to let that toy (camera) go all by itself, so far away. I was a bit overprotective of it. I'm feeling the empty nest syndrome already. :)

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 29, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9103092

A critter on top on my fridge, how he got up there I'll never know. :)

Thumbnail by sunkissed

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9103137

LOL, Sherri. The critter is quite clever!
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

April 29, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9103176

Always has to be of top of things. That's how they can have control.:))

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 5, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9111682

Found some photos of critters we saw on a camping trip in March.

1.tiny softshell turtle my nephew found.
2 & 3. Wild buffalo grazing in the prairie (yes we have buffalo in Florida)
4. baby gators sunning
5. my garden snake

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9111846

oooo...love the buffalo...who knew!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9112327

Nice ones sherri. How neat to get to see Buffalos like that. Thanks for sharing those pics. Eastern Blue Birds Moma and baby.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9112434

Great catch lily, I hear some baby birds up in my live oak, but can't see them.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9112837

Thanks Sherri, it would be hard to spot the little ones on the tree top. In my case, I just simply watch the Moma's lead. She came to the feeder, bringing back food for her babies.

I've a ferrel duck nest in my garden. Here is the Pappa patrolling the area while the Moma sitting on the eggs.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

May 9, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9117626

Looks like a snake, but it's actually a Slow-worm, a legless lizard. 30-35 cm long.

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 10, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9119077

Chipmunk in the back yard...almost lost in the tall grass! lol

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9135352

Resin I saw one of those once...really cool. Nanny?

It is mating season for the lizards (Anoles) they provide us with lots of entertainment.

1. Needs no explanation
2. Two males sparing with each other.
3. The winner of the fight
4. A male and female...and yes he is giving me a dirty look for interrupting. :)

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9135386

oops! Guess I forgot the photo didn't I...LOL

Sorry I have already deleted it...so have to wait for another chance!
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9152674

I saw this picture (and the story with it) on Flickr. I though everyone might enjoy it.

/photos/12496504@N06/7335416534/in/pool-canonsx40hs

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 5, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9153141

What a sweet story.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9153561

Here is a picture of the Bunny's "Buddy".

/photos/12496504@N06/7156094007/in/pool-canonsx40hs
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

June 5, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9153771

Aww very nice story, how amazing that the Rabbit and Squirrel bonded, and having people that cares about their well being.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 10, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9159010

Sweet story, thanks for sharing Nuts, they are both so cute.

We were just on vacation in south Florida Ft. Myers/Sanibel Island area...got some birds and critter shots.

I think a little blue Heron, in mating plumage maybe.
Tortoise
Anhinga (Water Turkey)
Rosette Spoonbill (rare to see)
Raccoon sleeping in a tree

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 10, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9159230

Apparently they're both doing really well and will eventually be released.

Those are really great shots, sunkissed!
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9160396

Wonderful pictures folks. Here is a bunny munching in my neighbor's lawn.

Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9160425

Cute pic, GrannyGrunt! That's a perfect arrangement. . .close enough for you to enjoy, but munching on your neighbor's lawn!
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #9160593

Good point! LOL
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

June 11, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9161401

I love the birds Sunkissed, and great shot of the tortoise.
GG, it good to see you got a good shot of the bunny, I see one running around here once in a while, but can't never get him, sitting still.

Skipper sunning on a rock by the river.
A family of Canada Geese.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 12, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9161773

Awww...the baby geese so cute!

I see brown bunnies often around here, not in my garden, we are too far back in the neighborhood for them to make it in here...lots of dogs in yards around us.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9164785

post deleted...wrong place!

This message was edited Jun 14, 2012 10:54 AM

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9180711

This little bunny was in GrannyGrunt's yard the night I visited GG in PA. I was happy in a way, but a little disappointed her bear was a no show tho. :0)

Thumbnail by nanny_56

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2012
4:42 AM

Post #9181421

That bunny and its friends are "pruning" some of my rose bushes and shrubs. Stinkers!

BTW, the bear said it was too hot to come out of the woods when you were here. LOL

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2012
5:08 AM

Post #9181455

Probably because you didn't put the hammock up.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

June 26, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9182467

LOL

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9182648

HA!! :)

Chippies are keeping Gus busy here...

Thumbnail by nanny_56

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9182705

Hush Marna!! Too hot to put up the hammock! LOL

Nice chippie Nanny.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

June 26, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9182793

What Bear??? Hammock? Nice one of the bunny Nanny.

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

June 27, 2012
2:00 AM

Post #9182945

Burn, a large, black bear wandered into GG's yard. They came face to face, each paused for a few seconds and then the bear took off in fright and was last seen disappearing into the nearby woods.

Cute chipmuk and bunny, nanny. Lovely skunk, Burn (I can say that because I'm over here in Australia)

This message was edited Jun 28, 2012 5:06 AM

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9183312

LOL @ Margaret!!

Yes, GG lives in black bear country...lots of them there!! They all know I have a fear of bears and hoped one would show up while I was there...very mean people! lol

Watched this turtle cross the road in Arlington Nation Cemetery. The whole bus was watching and it just barely missed getting run over a couple of times!

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 29, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9186064

nanny glad the turtle made it across. I've been known to stop my car and get out and save turtles in the road.

Burn, nice catch of the skunk...I don't see many of them here, do smell them sometimes.

There are lots of black bears around here, I'm sure they're much smaller, but their land has been so developed that they now invade the trash and yards of the homes. I feel for them, where are they supposed to go when houses keep being built on their land. I've come across them while hiking only a couple times, I keep my distance and they just run off.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9186848

It won't be too hot for the hammock if you put the barrel of water next to it. hahaha.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

June 29, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9186993

Ha ha ha. Too funny.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

June 30, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9187882

Oh my GG, you came face to face with a bear, and you proved to be more intimidating then him!!! Why in the world did you have to scare him off like that, we wanted a picture of it. lol

Well Nanny, you didn't have any reason to be scared, with GG around. She's a bear Whisperer.
I'm glad the turtle made it across in one piece.

Margaret, that skunk is here every night and sometime early morning. You really don't know. what your missing. All that pungent "Parfum du Canada"is something out of this world. I could maybe market it. and send you all a sample.
I almost wore it one night, I open the back door to free a moth that I had raised, but the darn thing kept sticking to my finger and didn't want to go. I finally manage to gently pry it off, but it fell to the ground. when I looked down, to see where he had fallen, there was that skunk at my feet. I backed up in the garage and close the door. That was a bit to close for comfort.

This message was edited Jun 30, 2012 6:25 PM

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

June 30, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9187941

Burn, your generosity is overwhelming. Thank you so much for the offer of the parfum, but I must decline. The postage would cost too much. Good for you with the moth.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 30, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9187974

LOL with y'all. Burn, down here we have Racoons, I guess that's as annoying as skunks, not particularly their parfume, mind you, it's just their behavior. Something I only like to admire from a distance. lol. Okay, here I've the elusive Preying Mantis.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

DWMike
Grenada, MS
(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9188457

All the talk about bears but no pics...so..here y'all go. I took these several years ago @ 600mm + mind you...

Thumbnail by DWMike   Thumbnail by DWMike

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9188470

awwww. cute little bear!

Okay Margaret, if you are really interested in that parfum de canada, you can go take a whiff of a Frittilaria bulb. That's pretty darn close to the smell.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

July 1, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9188496

Wow, Mike, great shots, but that 2nd one is amazing, they way it's resting comfortably on its paws.

LOL, Mrs Ed.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 8, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9197514

Love the bear shots Mike!
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

July 8, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9197959

Real great shots of the bear, Mike. Thanks for sharing it.

Chipmunk munching on a pear core.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9197988

Nice catch of the munching chippie there Burn. :)
DWMike
Grenada, MS
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9205821

Wildlife in my yard... Corythucha marmorata nymphs (Chrysanthemum Lace Bug nymphs)

1. is the nymphs
2. shows the adult

Thumbnail by DWMike   Thumbnail by DWMike

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9206280

Great photography there Mike! They look incredibly errie! So they just feast on your Mums? (Chrysanthemum?).
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

July 15, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9206459

Neat looking nymph, love how clear your macro shots are. We see detail of the lace design.
DWMike
Grenada, MS
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2012
8:27 PM

Post #9206601

Thanks burn_2007

Lily_love wrote:Great photography there Mike! They look incredibly errie! So they just feast on your Mums? (Chrysanthemum?).

Thanks.

(ref: http://bugguide.net/node/view/51599 )
Feed on several species of plants of the daisy family, Compositae.

Life Cycle: Occurs on various composites in fields, chiefly goldenrod and asters. May severely injure chrysanthemums. (2)
Reported from Solidago, Aster, Ambrosia, Helianthus, Rudbeckia, Echinops (3)

This message was edited Jul 15, 2012 10:28 PM

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9206802

Thanks.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9207768

Youngest GD and I were taking a walk around the neighborhood and spotted this doe. The next day I saw her with twin fawns. I suspect they are the ones eating our 'maters!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9207840

Awww, how neat to enjoy nature with grandkid like so Nan. Hope you've some extra 'maters to share with the growing twins. Great Blue Heron this evening;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

July 16, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9207949

Ba...d Doe yet so pretty, would that be a fawn in the grass not far from her?
Kim nice Heron, I can't get close enough to one, to get a good pic.

American Kestrel near my son's summer home.
And one of my heron shot.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9207987

Nice one of the Am. Kestrel Bernadette. I'm still looking forward to opportunity to photograph one in my area, but haven't yet. I do have the advantage with the GBHs however, being so close to the water. What are more difficult for me to get close up shot are Great Egrets. They're abundant here, but my camera can't catch a good in flight shot :((

Nice summer home, how is the weather there this time of year?
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

July 16, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9208095

Thanks Kim, the home you see, is not their, but their neighbors. The weather is very warm, we're in the 90F. It's not in the 3 digits, and I feel for those who are. No rain here in the pass few weeks, but about an hours drive from here they had severe Thunder storms and even hail. We might be getting some tomorrow.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9208479

Wow...amazing array of pics everybody!

During the Summer the deer mostly visit our yard at night (although we do see them during the day while driving around near home). This doe decided to stop by and visit so I obliged her by putting out some whole corn for a snack (naturally she kept her distance till I went back in the house).

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 19, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9211771

Burn...no fawn in the grass ...those are bunnies! No doubt the fawns were nearby tho.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 22, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9214214

I found this critter while at the beach last week, it is actually dead, but still thought it was a great photo op, the fly is a bonus. ☺

Thumbnail by sunkissed

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

July 23, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9216375

sunkissed, nice specimen of the crab, couldn`t tell it was dead from that pic, and great bonus. lol
Great shots of the Doe, Nuts.

I will start a new thread, this one is getting long. Thanks for a wonderful mix of wildlife everyone:
Follow this link: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1272464/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Wildlife Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Doing the Bunny Leap Bloomer 5 Apr 6, 2012 10:46 AM
The nicest thing happened in the local Walmart in their greenhouse.............. Merry_Sunshine 2 Apr 6, 2012 10:44 AM
Black Panther at pond BittysGarden 3 Apr 6, 2012 10:56 AM
BIG cat incident lantana 7 May 16, 2012 7:21 PM
I'm A Moose Matador Weezingreens 166 Feb 6, 2014 5:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America