Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Leaf blower or rake and broom: where do you stand?: Rake and Broom All the Way!

Communities > Forums > Article: Leaf blower or rake and broom: where do you stand?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Leaf blower or rake and broom: where do you stand?Replies: 5, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BennysPlace
Beverly Hills, CA

October 12, 2011
8:15 AM

Post #8846144

Hi Sally,

Good article! :) I am a non power tool kind of guy. I will not even buy a gas powered mower. There are few things more satisfying than good old fashioned work. Yes, it will take longer but I am not polluting the air with noise and fumes.

Take care,
Benny

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2011
8:17 AM

Post #8846146

Hi Benny. Thanks for taking a stand, as I am too wimpy to do so.
; ^)
Thanks for saying hi!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2011
6:20 PM

Post #8846847

Rake. I like hand tools, and hate the noise and fumes! If I had a scythe, I'd probably cut the grass with it.

However, I do use a riding gas mower because the yard is really huge. The JD mower has (rather, had) collector bags but they never worked well so I took them off. The grass clippings must be raked as they are thick enough to spot-kill the grass unless I mowed every 3 days.
HydroPinke
Burien, WA
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2011
10:20 PM

Post #8847059

I rake and broom them off paved surfaces and just mow over them with my mulching mower. It's like free fertilizer for my lawn! I hate the sound those blowers generate and the stink they create. You can easily get similar results with an air compressor and appropriate attachment. That is how I 'sweep' my driveway and carport for dust/sand accumulation.(my 2 year old has a sand box and he frequently relocates buckets of sand) Probably not feasible for someone with acreage, but good for dense urban settings where noise & air pollution are a bigger concern. Our compressor lines are plumbed into a few spots in the property so I can take the air hose where I need it.
gfilmore
Raleigh, NC

October 17, 2011
9:33 AM

Post #8852524

I never imagined myself using a blower… until we moved to a house in a really old neighborhood with lots of 50-100+ foot trees… all deciduous. And we took out all the grass in favor of a very rustic cottage-type garden, with big rocks, dry stream bed, and a lot of plants…

We tried to leave a lot of the leaves alone last year, but come summer, mosquitos enjoyed breeding in them and anything underneath was killed.

The blower is the only way we can keep up with the leaves in the fall. At least it's electric, we never use it during evenings, and… and… well, the yard looks nice, the neighbors love it ;-)

[sigh]

This message was edited Oct 17, 2011 12:34 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 20, 2011
9:55 PM

Post #8857756

Well, you do what you have to do! You get credit for taking out the grass though! It sounds lovely.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Leaf blower or rake and broom: where do you stand? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gas Blowers are Air Polluters too Elphaba 4 Oct 12, 2011 10:07 AM
I use both Gitagal 4 Nov 30, 2011 1:09 PM
Use mowers azulverde 1 Oct 17, 2011 5:30 PM
Either way, DON'T BURN! farmlife 1 Oct 19, 2011 9:56 AM
Rake & Broom or Mower for me..... foodiesleuth 1 Oct 19, 2011 9:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America