Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Leaf blower or rake and broom: where do you stand?: I use both

Communities > Forums > Article: Leaf blower or rake and broom: where do you stand?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Leaf blower or rake and broom: where do you stand?Replies: 4, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2011
9:12 AM

Post #8846235

I rake my leaves in piles all over my yard and then I use my blower-vac to suck them up and shred them.
I have never had luck blowing leaves in piles on my lawn--as they just move from one place to another.
There must be knack on needs to acquire to do this...
And--it is even worse trying to blow leaves off of my patio. You clean one area--and then you go to blow
the leaves in another area--and they all end up in the area I just cleaned up. Lost cause!

Likewise--I have never had any success trying to vacuum leaves with my shredder/vac right off the lawn.
It is impossible to get them all--as the leaves are so matted in the grass.

Guess I vote for both. Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2011
9:27 AM

Post #8846257

Sounds like a good compromise. I know you save those shredded leaves too, for the garden-, so you get bonus points!
Thanks for reading and commenting on the article!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2011
10:02 AM

Post #8846294

With half of 9 acres in trees and about 4 acres to mow, we have a lot of leaves and debris. Plus a loooong driveway that does get the power blow (mostly for the grass). We do use a mulching mower and much of the autumn leaf litter gets mowed, swept, and put into my garden mulch pile (which is fairly large). We also have a power chipper/shredder for the large pieces which go right back to either bedding for the animals or into the mulch pile too. We don't have neighbors to worry about with the noise either. Just the sounds of others on occasion doing the same thing and tractors and other power equipment. I'll take this noise over traffic noise any day.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2011
10:52 AM

Post #8846343

Thanks for your comment.
I wonder how many of many of the 'protesting' communities are in highly developed areas- where there are fifty homeowners in about the same area as OutsidePlaying gardens.
Thanks for reading!
missusbear
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2011
1:09 PM

Post #8911604

I live in central Florida, where the 4 oak trees on my 1/3-acre plot drop their leaves FOREVER! I hate the noisy blower, but must resort to it to blow the leaves off my unrakeable ground cover (Asian jasmine). The rest of the lot gets raked, if the leaves are really thick, or mower-mulched if they're not too bad. I have a lovely, kind neighbor across the street who is in love with his leaf-blower, even uses it to dust off his ride-on mower! I bite my tongue,because he is a really nice, kind and helpful guy, but sometimes he makes me wish the leaf-blower had never been invented. One of the many joys of life in Suburbia.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Leaf blower or rake and broom: where do you stand? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gas Blowers are Air Polluters too Elphaba 4 Oct 12, 2011 10:07 AM
Rake and Broom All the Way! BennysPlace 5 Oct 20, 2011 9:55 PM
Use mowers azulverde 1 Oct 17, 2011 5:30 PM
Either way, DON'T BURN! farmlife 1 Oct 19, 2011 9:56 AM
Rake & Broom or Mower for me..... foodiesleuth 1 Oct 19, 2011 9:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America