How to dye fabric using fiber reactive dyes

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1196194/

This class will teach the basics of dyeing cotton fabric with fiber-reactive dyes, also known as procion dyes.

Even though the class is full to new participants, anyone is welcome to follow along with us and ask questions. We'll be going step by step through the process of creating your own custom dyed fabric.

The way I'm going to structure these threads is so that they will be a permanent reference for anyone who wants to try this.
But above all,
We're going to have fun!

Materials you'll need:
Some jars at least pint sized...peanut butter, mayo or canning jars will be fine.
Salt...un-iodized. Josher or canning salt will work
Squeeze bottles, a small funnel, rubberbands or twine.
I like to use a rack across my sink so that excess dye doesn't puddle. Plastic bags, like walmart bags.

These are the links to my journal where I've posted the instructions. Feel free to ask questions or comment inn the thread.
http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/melody/16098/
http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/melody/16099/
http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/melody/16100/

Thumbnail by melody
(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

I'm anxious to see how it is done!!!

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Waiting for instructions!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

My cable is out and I'm running on my Verizon thingy that I keep for emergencies...so I'm just a touch faster than dial up. I won't be posting any images until the cable is repaired.

Everyone can wash their fabric...no fabric softener. Hang to dry. Your dryer has residual softener in it, even if you don't use a sheet this time. Once your fabric is dry, you can press it smooth...ok to use steam.

I'll have the kits ready to go shortly. If you can get non-iodized (kosher or canning) salt...that would be good. You'll need about a half teaspoon full for each container of dye. The soda ash we're using is a high concentrate...the PH Up stuff from the pool supply stores works in a pinch, but this is the strongest grade available. Gives you the deepest color set.

As soon as I get a faster connection, I'll start showing all how to mix and tie.

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

How much fabric are we using???

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

You'll be able to do at about 2 yards with these materials....maybe more, but let's say 2 yards. After it is washed, we'll cut it up into smaller pieces for various techniques.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I need to go collect the rest of my stuff like spuirt bottles!

Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX(Zone 8b)

question .. could arm & hammer be used for soda ash

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

No, regular soda is sodium bicarbonate. Soda ash is sodium carbonate. That extra atom makes a world of difference.

'PH-Up' for pools is sodium carbonate, but isn't as concentrated as the stuff I get. Where we'll use a quarter cup, it would take about 2 cups of the pool chemical to do the same thing.

ok thanks for the great answer
but I wasn't asking about baking soda (soda is sodium bicarbonate) but about washing powder that has sodium carbonate in it

This message was edited Oct 15, 2011 6:40 PM

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Yes, washing soda will work.
I've never used it, so can't attest to the strength of it, but the worst that will happen is that the dye will strike with less intensity. I have used the pool soda and it works, you just have to use more to get the same intensity of color.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

checks are rolling in...I'll take the first group of packages to the post office today!

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

OK, I must have missed some posting. What was the final on the cost?

Qwilter it depends on what your getting
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1196194/
its all here.
Ok, everyone, I have a total for this. I just got back from the P.O. and they weighed a package with 5 packs of dye, soda ash and gloves. First class to just about anywhere in the country is $2.56, so that saved a bundle off of Priority.

So here is the break down

5 packs of dye @.60 each is 3.00
1/2 cup soda ash 1.00
gloves, envelope & baggies 1.00
Postage 2.56

Total is $7.56

If you want more than 5 packs of dye, they will be .60 each. I don't think postage will be more than a few cents more as they are practically weightless...the baggies weigh more.

For neutrals besides the black and the brown I'm already sending, I have Camel, Mist Gray and Safari Gray. But...all you have to do is dilute anything and it lightens it. I'll start showing you all how that is done this weekend. I used primaries and black for ages before I bothered to spring for any of the 'fancy' colors.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Here's the breakdown; http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8846553

7.56 for the basic kit and .60 for each additional color you want.

With the basic kit, we'll learn to mix muted tones like olive and dusty rose. I'll also show you how to make maroon, green tones, purples many shades of brown and many shades of blue.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Ha! we crossed posted!

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Just let me know if i owe more for postage.

My payment is going out today! I have had it ready for day's, and keep forgetting to put it in the mail box.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

You're fine Mittsy. (yours is on its way)

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

can you please..please ...add the list of supplies we need to this thread?? maybe at the top?? salt? vinegar? squeeze bottles, a rack for the sink??? I am sure there was more??!!
thanks in advance :)

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

got my envelope today, thanks Melody! Now to get the Kona....

Meant to tell you Melody that my check is in the mail!!!

My packet arrived in today's mail. I have 2 pkgs of turquoise. So if someone is short, give a shout and I'll send to you.
mittsy

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

oops!
Do you have everything else?

You should have black, brown, yellow, turquoise, fuchsia and the extra camel and gray.

I'll check.

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

I got my package too ^_^ thank you Melody and thank YOU my "angel" ^_^

got mine today too..... but I didn't get the Safari Gray
thank
Melody

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I'll get one right out to you...sorry...

Don't hesitate to speak up if something is missing or not right. You all have been quite generous with postage money and I'll take care of them asap.

Thanks Melody :)

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I'm getting ready to create entries in my journal and post links so that everything will be together. Rather than put a post here and there, links to a complete tutorial should be better,don't you think?

(pictures and instructions forthcoming...)

I agree, much easier to find and follow!

great idea .. Melody

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Ok...here we go...

This first link shows you how to mix your soda ash, prepare your fabric and mix the basic dyes.
http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/melody/16098/

Don't hesitate to ask questions...nothing is too trivial. If you're confused, chances are, someone else is too.

This link gives you some basics on color mixing. Use smaller jars or containers and remember that less is more. I wouldn't try to get fancy at first...try basic reds, greens and browns. Divide the mixed color into 2 containers and dilute one by half...you get a matching pastel. If you have an eye dropper or one of those things they use to clean a baby's nose out, they work great for adding dye a few drops at a time...they're also good for detail work when we tie dye.

http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/melody/16099/

This next one is how to ice dye. Now, I didn't put down plastic or wear gloves...so do as I say and not as I do.

http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/melody/16100/

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

Are those links only for paid members? Wouldn't let me in said access denied.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

hmm....I thought I made them public...I'll go check. If that doesn't work,I'll copy everything here in threads.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I've got everything marked public...let me dig around and see what I'm doing wrong. (I'm not a whiz at journals and diaries...)
I really believe that everyone should be able to access a public entry....odd.

Bear with me.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Duh! I feel like an idiot...

Try them now.
I linked to the 'construction' side of my journal.
Sheesh!

I'm still denied....

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

hmmm...let me dig deeper. I thought for sure that would get it.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

One more time....I believe this one will work...I didn't realize there was a gazillion ways to link to your diary....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.