Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Common Outdoor Spiders: Know Them, Love Them: Jumping spider identification help

Communities > Forums > Article: Common Outdoor Spiders: Know Them, Love Them
bookmark
Forum: Article: Common Outdoor Spiders: Know Them, Love ThemReplies: 1, Views: 8
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
denise12
Wesley Chapel, FL

October 13, 2011
4:22 PM

Post #8847939

I found one looking back at me in the window of my front door. Now, not being a spider lover, it freaked me out a little. It left and in my mind was gone, then my husband found the one this evening on the gate of his pick-up truck. I feel better knowing that it is a jumping spider and is relatively harmless, however we will never be friends. I live in central Florida in Pasco County and would really love someone to help me know exactly what kind of jumping spider it is. Thanks

Thumbnail by denise12
Click the image for an enlarged view.

TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 14, 2011
8:12 AM

Post #8848648

Denise, on behalf of harmless spiders everywhere...thank you for not smashing these little guys. :)

Your photo looks to me like a male Phidippus regius, which is an extremely common - and beneficial - type of jumping spider in Florida.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Common Outdoor Spiders: Know Them, Love Them Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice article kniphofia 7 Aug 2, 2010 5:42 PM
I know where Derek is coming from. LHicks 1 Mar 15, 2008 6:44 PM
Jumping spiders Machikoneko 5 Mar 4, 2011 1:15 PM
Spiders are AWESOME cluelessnTN 5 Aug 2, 2010 7:02 AM
Re: My spider with the happy face Britta1000 3 Oct 15, 2009 9:09 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America