Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Photo Editing Fun - Page 45

Memphis, TN

Another new thread already? Yep, we've had lots of fun in the past month on our old thread:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1220394/

I'll start us off with a Monarch and bee on some sky-high Maximillian Sunflowers....

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

I shoulda been cleaning....
I shoulda been cooking....
I shoulda been doing laundry....

....but I was out looking at butterflies and flowers! Guess I'll do all that stuff later!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the new thread Miss Mary. And the wonderful images. I'm sure glad you were watching flowers and butterflies, because when you do, I get to see them too!

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Great shots, Miss Mary ... and thanks for starting the new thread!

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's a spider kaleido ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

A bouquet of mums in a frame ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Memphis, TN

Kaleidos made from Monarch wings (and Milkweed) make wonderful Autumn wreaths!

Memphis, TN

One more....

Evansdale, IA(Zone 4b)

Wow Miss Mary and Jubilada, Love the Kaleidos! Monarch wings and spiders, how cool!

Jubilada, loved your HDR house all decorated for Halloween and your framed mums! Beautiful.

Patti, your Galvaston photos were awesome, love the water ones and the little beach house looks like a tea cup to me. Your bird photos were awesome as usual.

Miss Mary, beautiful Monarchs, I was shocked to see lots of Monarchs here in Iowa yesterday, I took lots of photos, I don't think I have ever seen them here this late.

Edited lightly in PSE............

Thumbnail by Edaleputt
Evansdale, IA(Zone 4b)

One more from yesterday..........editied in PSE.

Thumbnail by Edaleputt
Evansdale, IA(Zone 4b)

Our fall color will soon be coming to an end!

Miss Mary, I forgot to mention your Smile Box of Dixon Gardens, wonderful photos and slide show! The violet water lily was my favorite.

Thumbnail by Edaleputt
Evansdale, IA(Zone 4b)

I downloaded Lightroom and have been playing with it..............I like it but it but pricey! Not sure it is worth it.

Thumbnail by Edaleputt
Memphis, TN

So pretty, Lily! What kind of butterfly is that on the pink Zinnia? Love the Fall color shot, too!

Another Monarch here....with a Monarch-wing-kaleido frame:

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, Lily, what pretty Monarch captures! And is that a Painted Lady on the Zinnia? Very nice! Love that fall color shot, too!

Miss Mary, those are some very interesting butterfly-wing kaleidos! Very autumn indeed!

Evansdale, IA(Zone 4b)

Miss Mary, Love the Monarch presentation! And Jubilada is correct, it is a Painted Lady. Kind of an interesting story about Painted Ladies, my Daughter in Law teaches 2nd grade, she had Painted Lady eggs in her classroom so the kids could see the whole life cycle of the butterfly. The instructions that came with the eggs said to freeze the butterflies once they morphed into butterflies but she thought the was cruel so they released them, they are native to Iowa.

My asters are covered in bees right now.

Thumbnail by Edaleputt
Memphis, TN

Wow, Lily, that's so cool about the Painted Ladies! Freeze them....? Pretty Asters and those bees look like they mean business!

Another Monarch shot, another kaleido made from a cutout of just the wings and body....plus PSP Curlicue effect:

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Wheeee. You guys are on a roll. The kaleidos and butterflies and butterfly kaleidos are incredible to see. Love all your fall colors Lily! Miss Mary, that Monarch with the butterfly wing frame is awesome. Jubilada, I love your OOB mums. I'll be on the road for a few days, but hope to be able to tune in and see what everyone is up to.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Some ducks ... Not sure if they are Mallards or Mottled Ducks but the DG experts will let me know I'm sure.

I duplicated the layer, used Pixel Bender Oil on top layer and added a mask, painted back the original for the one prominent duck on left and framed it with a couple of Bud's Layers actions.

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Two Doves on a wire made into a globe pic. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi, BEV, long time no "see" ... glad you're back ... very nice dove globe (try saying that fast ...)

Patti, I like that duck picture ... nice presentation ...

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Busy Busy no time for Fun. Love all you all are doing but by time I quit for the day too tired to think right. At 78 thats doing great. LOL
Removing bog garden, making pond smaller, moving skimmer and warterfall and what ever it takes top make clear water.

Thumbnail by TARogers5
Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Another shot

Thumbnail by TARogers5
Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Thought of heavly topazing this to make it legal. LOL

Thumbnail by TARogers5
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Bev, So nice to see you posting! That dove globe is very creative! The wires make it look like a baseball. So cool!

Ted, Whoa! Take it easy. That looks like major manual labor, but it will be so beautiful when you get done.

Patti

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Stopped at the Smith Point Hawk Watch tower on the way to New Orleans. Saw some hawks, but the highpoint for me was the hummers that were visiting the feeder. I don't know what kind this is and don't have my bird book, but it is different from the Ruby-throated Hummingbird we see at home. Cute little bird.

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

In flight (hovering) shot. Wish it had been moving toward me, but those are cute little tail feathers after all.

^_^

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Wow, TAR, you sure gave yourself a big job to tackle .... mazeltov! It's gonna be beautiful! Where do you get all that energy???

Patti, your little hummers are just so pretty and sweet ... great captures (and very nice processing)!

Here's a dahlia ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

And a "Becky" Shasta, framed ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Jubilada, That Dahlia is so beautiful. You really nailed the exposure. I love that you got so much light on the flower and also got so much beautiful color in the sky background. Excellent photo! Very cool frame on the daisy!

Crummy photo here, but I had to post it because of the bad hair day for the Snowy Egret. The wind was blowing so hard yesterday the poor birds were having a hard time flying. I got this in the middle of the day with really crummy, harsh light. I tried to fix it with Shadows/Highlights, but couldn't.

I got a little bit of video of this guy fishing. I'll put it on my website when I get home. I think it is so cool that the critters have adjusted to our meddling in their habitat. This smart little guy was standing on that culvert and watching the water flow through. As a fish would come through, he would grab it. Very productive fishing.

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Well, Patti, I really like that "bad hair day" egret, she's cute ... and that background is very interesting ...

And thanks for the kind words about that dahlia shot, but truth be told, it was highly manipulated ... in RAW, in PhotoShop, in Topaz ... here's the original ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

And speaking of manipulation, here's an HDR of a neighbor's doorway (4 exposures) done in HDRpro, brought back into RAW, then manipulated some more in PhotoShop (Topaz), and cropped ... it's basically an experiment (trying to shoot at night), so it's not particularly anything in terms of composition or visual interest ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Jubilada, You did good getting the sky exposed right and bringing out the light on the Dahlia. I thought maybe you flashed the flower with some fill light. I've turned my flash way down and just hit the subject with a touch, but it is hard to get it right. Your way might have been a bit more labor intense in post processing, but it worked well.

And I have to disagree with you on your night shot. That IS a cool, very interesting image. I love that house. I remember it from last year around this time. The little pumpkins hanging and the two lights are exposed so nicely and you have just the right amount of glow from them to light up the scene. And you got the window! It is so much better than most holiday shots and tells a nice story.

Memphis, TN

Oh, wow -- I'm enjoying these! Of course, I'm always glad to see Hummer shots but, Patti, that in-flight capture takes the cake. How wonderful! I was laughing at that bad hair day photo of the Egret and then I recalled the last image I saw in a mirror. Whew! One of us is a close second and I'm not saying who! LOL! Seriously, what a stylish bird -- reminds me of a mad scientist in a way. That's great.

Jubilada, you did a wonderful job on the Dahlia. I'd never have guessed the original was as dark as that. I like the original, by the way -- even with the lack of light on the flower, it shows such grace and rich color! Your Shasta Daisy frame is really nice. It's so subtle and yet perfectly complements the subject. The big flower's shadow falls on it so nicely and looks like a natural shadow. Great job!

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Drained the pond and am refilling it today.
HDR looks great. 4 exposures make it.
Pattie nice catch on the hummers and bird. .

Thumbnail by TARogers5
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Quote from HelloMissMary :
... I was laughing at that bad hair day photo of the Egret and then I recalled the last image I saw in a mirror. Whew! One of us is a close second and I'm not saying who! LOL!

^_^ Cracking up ^_^

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Ted, I can't wait to see the end result of your project. When you get done, will you come put one in at my house? Heeeheee. Just kidding, Ted. I wouldn't do that to ya.

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Patti, I'm going to ask for your advice .... you're very knowledgeable and can explain things so well ... I have rented a Canon 24-70mm L lens for the weekend (I'm participating in a workshop tomorrow) ... I've read a lot about this lens, and thought I really wanted to try it out ... I've played with it a bit today, and kind of wonder if I'm in over my head ... I've tried many different shots, some work, some don't ... have to agree that for the most part the shots are very much sharper than with my Tamron, but focus is not consistent, and sometimes what I think I'm focusing on (either manually or automatically) turns out to NOT be in focus (and everything else is?) ... so I think I'm not doing something right ... any pointers or elucidations or wise words of wisdom ... ????

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Jubilada,

Oh boy! Workshops are so much fun. I hope I can offer something that might help in time, but it's so hard over cyberspace. Wish I could be there to see if it's the lens or what you are doing. I'm going to guess that since it works okay sometimes, it might just be the the way you are setting up the camera.

For Autofocus:
Try this ... For the test, Put the camera in One Shot, not AI Servo or AI Focus or any of that stuff. That will keep the focus where it is set and not change it based on where you point the camera. In other words, if you hold the shutter button down part way and change the composition, the focus stays the same and doesn't shift for the new composition. Sometimes that's good and sometimes that's bad, but just for the sake of testing, do it. Try not to change the composition after you get focus set though because that causes a whole 'nother set of problems.

Then choose only the center focus point as being active, not multiple active focus points. That will mean that YOU choose what the camera focus on and not the camera. If you choose multiple points, the camera doesn't always know what you want to focus on and sometimes it picks something weird.

Now shoot several shots and see if you get consistent focus.

For Manual Focus:
Make sure the diopter adjustment is set correctly for your eyes. Autofocus on something with the above method and turn the diopter until you see sharpest focus with your eye. Once that's set correctly, the manual focus should be what you see through the viewfinder.
Another really good way to manually focus is to put the cam on a tripod, turn on the Live View, click the magnifier button a couple of times and manually focus the lens while looking at the CRT. Click the shutter when it is sharp. If the photo is not sharp using this method, it ain't gonna happen.

Good luck and let us know how the workshop goes!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Gavin Hoey has a new tutorial ...
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=PhotoGavin#p/u/0/8au_wF_tAFs

Here's my attempt to follow it using three of the beach sunrise photos and a blurred colorful wall I shot at Big Bend for the texture background.

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Patti, thanks so much for your speedy reply ... I will pore over these words before my workshop tomorrow ... hopefully I will get an "aha" moment ... and will keep you posted ...

Thanks for the Gavin Hoey link, too ... that looks like a great project ... and your "Bolivar Sunrise" is spectacular ... great job!

Memphis, TN

Wonderful, Patti! Oh, that's really nicely composed and the colors are so intoxicating! I watched the video and I actually may be able to do this one in PSE!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.