Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Photos: Photo Editing Fun - Page 45

Communities > Forums > Photos
bookmark
Forum: PhotosReplies: 200, Views: 840
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 15, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8850189

Another new thread already? Yep, we've had lots of fun in the past month on our old thread:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1220394/

I'll start us off with a Monarch and bee on some sky-high Maximillian Sunflowers...

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Click the image for an enlarged view.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 15, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8850193

I shoulda been cleaning...
I shoulda been cooking...
I shoulda been doing laundry...

...but I was out looking at butterflies and flowers! Guess I'll do all that stuff later!

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8850246

Thanks for the new thread Miss Mary. And the wonderful images. I'm sure glad you were watching flowers and butterflies, because when you do, I get to see them too!

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2011
6:53 PM

Post #8850365

Great shots, Miss Mary ... and thanks for starting the new thread!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2011
7:00 PM

Post #8850376

Here's a spider kaleido ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2011
2:21 PM

Post #8851387

A bouquet of mums in a frame ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 16, 2011
3:51 PM

Post #8851486

Kaleidos made from Monarch wings (and Milkweed) make wonderful Autumn wreaths!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 16, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8851487

One more...

Edaleputt
Evansdale, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 16, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8851574

Wow Miss Mary and Jubilada, Love the Kaleidos! Monarch wings and spiders, how cool!

Jubilada, loved your HDR house all decorated for Halloween and your framed mums! Beautiful.

Patti, your Galvaston photos were awesome, love the water ones and the little beach house looks like a tea cup to me. Your bird photos were awesome as usual.

Miss Mary, beautiful Monarchs, I was shocked to see lots of Monarchs here in Iowa yesterday, I took lots of photos, I don't think I have ever seen them here this late.

Edited lightly in PSE...

Thumbnail by Edaleputt

Edaleputt
Evansdale, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 16, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8851575

One more from yesterday...editied in PSE.

Thumbnail by Edaleputt

Edaleputt
Evansdale, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 16, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8851581

Our fall color will soon be coming to an end!

Miss Mary, I forgot to mention your Smile Box of Dixon Gardens, wonderful photos and slide show! The violet water lily was my favorite.

Thumbnail by Edaleputt

Edaleputt
Evansdale, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 16, 2011
5:15 PM

Post #8851583

I downloaded Lightroom and have been playing with it...I like it but it but pricey! Not sure it is worth it.

Thumbnail by Edaleputt

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 16, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8851753

So pretty, Lily! What kind of butterfly is that on the pink Zinnia? Love the Fall color shot, too!

Another Monarch here...with a Monarch-wing-kaleido frame:

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8851767

Oh, Lily, what pretty Monarch captures! And is that a Painted Lady on the Zinnia? Very nice! Love that fall color shot, too!

Miss Mary, those are some very interesting butterfly-wing kaleidos! Very autumn indeed!
Edaleputt
Evansdale, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 17, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8853124

Miss Mary, Love the Monarch presentation! And Jubilada is correct, it is a Painted Lady. Kind of an interesting story about Painted Ladies, my Daughter in Law teaches 2nd grade, she had Painted Lady eggs in her classroom so the kids could see the whole life cycle of the butterfly. The instructions that came with the eggs said to freeze the butterflies once they morphed into butterflies but she thought the was cruel so they released them, they are native to Iowa.

My asters are covered in bees right now.

Thumbnail by Edaleputt

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 17, 2011
5:09 PM

Post #8853219

Wow, Lily, that's so cool about the Painted Ladies! Freeze them...? Pretty Asters and those bees look like they mean business!

Another Monarch shot, another kaleido made from a cutout of just the wings and body...plus PSP Curlicue effect:

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 17, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8853236

Wheeee. You guys are on a roll. The kaleidos and butterflies and butterfly kaleidos are incredible to see. Love all your fall colors Lily! Miss Mary, that Monarch with the butterfly wing frame is awesome. Jubilada, I love your OOB mums. I'll be on the road for a few days, but hope to be able to tune in and see what everyone is up to.

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 17, 2011
10:16 PM

Post #8853543

Some ducks ... Not sure if they are Mallards or Mottled Ducks but the DG experts will let me know I'm sure.

I duplicated the layer, used Pixel Bender Oil on top layer and added a mask, painted back the original for the one prominent duck on left and framed it with a couple of Bud's Layers actions.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 18, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8854068

Two Doves on a wire made into a globe pic. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2011
10:18 AM

Post #8854074

Hi, BEV, long time no "see" ... glad you're back ... very nice dove globe (try saying that fast ...)

Patti, I like that duck picture ... nice presentation ...
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2011
12:48 PM

Post #8854220

Busy Busy no time for Fun. Love all you all are doing but by time I quit for the day too tired to think right. At 78 thats doing great. LOL
Removing bog garden, making pond smaller, moving skimmer and warterfall and what ever it takes top make clear water.

Thumbnail by TARogers5

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2011
12:51 PM

Post #8854225

Another shot

Thumbnail by TARogers5

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2011
12:54 PM

Post #8854227

Thought of heavly topazing this to make it legal. LOL

Thumbnail by TARogers5

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 18, 2011
7:43 PM

Post #8854774

Bev, So nice to see you posting! That dove globe is very creative! The wires make it look like a baseball. So cool!

Ted, Whoa! Take it easy. That looks like major manual labor, but it will be so beautiful when you get done.

Patti

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 19, 2011
4:00 AM

Post #8855090

Stopped at the Smith Point Hawk Watch tower on the way to New Orleans. Saw some hawks, but the highpoint for me was the hummers that were visiting the feeder. I don't know what kind this is and don't have my bird book, but it is different from the Ruby-throated Hummingbird we see at home. Cute little bird.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 19, 2011
4:04 AM

Post #8855092

In flight (hovering) shot. Wish it had been moving toward me, but those are cute little tail feathers after all.

^_^

Thumbnail by P_Edens

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 19, 2011
1:24 PM

Post #8855873

Wow, TAR, you sure gave yourself a big job to tackle ... mazeltov! It's gonna be beautiful! Where do you get all that energy???

Patti, your little hummers are just so pretty and sweet ... great captures (and very nice processing)!

Here's a dahlia ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 19, 2011
1:25 PM

Post #8855878

And a "Becky" Shasta, framed ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 19, 2011
2:07 PM

Post #8855943

Jubilada, That Dahlia is so beautiful. You really nailed the exposure. I love that you got so much light on the flower and also got so much beautiful color in the sky background. Excellent photo! Very cool frame on the daisy!

Crummy photo here, but I had to post it because of the bad hair day for the Snowy Egret. The wind was blowing so hard yesterday the poor birds were having a hard time flying. I got this in the middle of the day with really crummy, harsh light. I tried to fix it with Shadows/Highlights, but couldn't.

I got a little bit of video of this guy fishing. I'll put it on my website when I get home. I think it is so cool that the critters have adjusted to our meddling in their habitat. This smart little guy was standing on that culvert and watching the water flow through. As a fish would come through, he would grab it. Very productive fishing.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 19, 2011
2:56 PM

Post #8856044

Well, Patti, I really like that "bad hair day" egret, she's cute ... and that background is very interesting ...

And thanks for the kind words about that dahlia shot, but truth be told, it was highly manipulated ... in RAW, in PhotoShop, in Topaz ... here's the original ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 19, 2011
2:58 PM

Post #8856050

And speaking of manipulation, here's an HDR of a neighbor's doorway (4 exposures) done in HDRpro, brought back into RAW, then manipulated some more in PhotoShop (Topaz), and cropped ... it's basically an experiment (trying to shoot at night), so it's not particularly anything in terms of composition or visual interest ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 19, 2011
5:17 PM

Post #8856309

Jubilada, You did good getting the sky exposed right and bringing out the light on the Dahlia. I thought maybe you flashed the flower with some fill light. I've turned my flash way down and just hit the subject with a touch, but it is hard to get it right. Your way might have been a bit more labor intense in post processing, but it worked well.

And I have to disagree with you on your night shot. That IS a cool, very interesting image. I love that house. I remember it from last year around this time. The little pumpkins hanging and the two lights are exposed so nicely and you have just the right amount of glow from them to light up the scene. And you got the window! It is so much better than most holiday shots and tells a nice story.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 19, 2011
7:27 PM

Post #8856469

Oh, wow -- I'm enjoying these! Of course, I'm always glad to see Hummer shots but, Patti, that in-flight capture takes the cake. How wonderful! I was laughing at that bad hair day photo of the Egret and then I recalled the last image I saw in a mirror. Whew! One of us is a close second and I'm not saying who! LOL! Seriously, what a stylish bird -- reminds me of a mad scientist in a way. That's great.

Jubilada, you did a wonderful job on the Dahlia. I'd never have guessed the original was as dark as that. I like the original, by the way -- even with the lack of light on the flower, it shows such grace and rich color! Your Shasta Daisy frame is really nice. It's so subtle and yet perfectly complements the subject. The big flower's shadow falls on it so nicely and looks like a natural shadow. Great job!
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8858478

Drained the pond and am refilling it today.
HDR looks great. 4 exposures make it.
Pattie nice catch on the hummers and bird. .

Thumbnail by TARogers5

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2011
2:48 PM

Post #8858504

[quote="HelloMissMary"] ... I was laughing at that bad hair day photo of the Egret and then I recalled the last image I saw in a mirror. Whew! One of us is a close second and I'm not saying who! LOL! [/quote]

^_^ Cracking up ^_^

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Ted, I can't wait to see the end result of your project. When you get done, will you come put one in at my house? Heeeheee. Just kidding, Ted. I wouldn't do that to ya.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2011
6:44 PM

Post #8858722

Patti, I'm going to ask for your advice ... you're very knowledgeable and can explain things so well ... I have rented a Canon 24-70mm L lens for the weekend (I'm participating in a workshop tomorrow) ... I've read a lot about this lens, and thought I really wanted to try it out ... I've played with it a bit today, and kind of wonder if I'm in over my head ... I've tried many different shots, some work, some don't ... have to agree that for the most part the shots are very much sharper than with my Tamron, but focus is not consistent, and sometimes what I think I'm focusing on (either manually or automatically) turns out to NOT be in focus (and everything else is?) ... so I think I'm not doing something right ... any pointers or elucidations or wise words of wisdom ... ????

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2011
7:42 PM

Post #8858754

Jubilada,

Oh boy! Workshops are so much fun. I hope I can offer something that might help in time, but it's so hard over cyberspace. Wish I could be there to see if it's the lens or what you are doing. I'm going to guess that since it works okay sometimes, it might just be the the way you are setting up the camera.

For Autofocus:
Try this ... For the test, Put the camera in One Shot, not AI Servo or AI Focus or any of that stuff. That will keep the focus where it is set and not change it based on where you point the camera. In other words, if you hold the shutter button down part way and change the composition, the focus stays the same and doesn't shift for the new composition. Sometimes that's good and sometimes that's bad, but just for the sake of testing, do it. Try not to change the composition after you get focus set though because that causes a whole 'nother set of problems.

Then choose only the center focus point as being active, not multiple active focus points. That will mean that YOU choose what the camera focus on and not the camera. If you choose multiple points, the camera doesn't always know what you want to focus on and sometimes it picks something weird.

Now shoot several shots and see if you get consistent focus.

For Manual Focus:
Make sure the diopter adjustment is set correctly for your eyes. Autofocus on something with the above method and turn the diopter until you see sharpest focus with your eye. Once that's set correctly, the manual focus should be what you see through the viewfinder.
Another really good way to manually focus is to put the cam on a tripod, turn on the Live View, click the magnifier button a couple of times and manually focus the lens while looking at the CRT. Click the shutter when it is sharp. If the photo is not sharp using this method, it ain't gonna happen.

Good luck and let us know how the workshop goes!

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2011
7:45 PM

Post #8858761

Gavin Hoey has a new tutorial ...
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=PhotoGavin#p/u/0/8au_wF_tAFs

Here's my attempt to follow it using three of the beach sunrise photos and a blurred colorful wall I shot at Big Bend for the texture background.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2011
7:59 PM

Post #8858770

Patti, thanks so much for your speedy reply ... I will pore over these words before my workshop tomorrow ... hopefully I will get an "aha" moment ... and will keep you posted ...

Thanks for the Gavin Hoey link, too ... that looks like a great project ... and your "Bolivar Sunrise" is spectacular ... great job!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 21, 2011
9:08 PM

Post #8858808

Wonderful, Patti! Oh, that's really nicely composed and the colors are so intoxicating! I watched the video and I actually may be able to do this one in PSE!
Edaleputt
Evansdale, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 22, 2011
9:57 AM

Post #8859203

Wow Ted that is some pond and what a project, hope you water ends up clear as a bell... :)

Jubilada the Dahlia is some good photo editing, I would never had guessed the original was that dark. The HDR is good also. The shasta frame is nice also.

Patti, love the hummer's behind :) cute as can be and your Bolivar Sunrise is wonderful! I would love to try that one.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 22, 2011
1:22 PM

Post #8859356

I believe what I have spotted in my garden today is a Pipevine Swallowtail. This is my first time seeing one, I believe. Its colors were absolutely stunning!

Cumulus79
Londerzeel
Belgium

October 22, 2011
1:29 PM

Post #8859360

experiment with a rose in the garden (this picture is allready over 10 years old but I only discovered this thread today ;) )

Thumbnail by Cumulus79

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 22, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8859481

Miss Mary, That sure does look like a Pipevine Swallowtail to me. Beautiful image. The treatment is excellent to accent the butterfly and that lovely flower as well. Wow.

Cumulus79, Welcome to the photo editing corner of DG. I'm so glad you found us and look forward to seeing more of your creations. That rose image is fantastic! I think there's a face in those petals and it is smiling. ^_^

Patti

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 22, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8859624

Welcome, Cumulus79! Lovely rose mosaic -- reminds me of a wonderful quilt!

Don't ask me what all I did to this...Gerbera Daisy:

Cumulus79
Londerzeel
Belgium

October 23, 2011
11:21 AM

Post #8860347

Here's another picture from the forest around the corner. It's a more recent one (only 9 years agoo) and intended as desktop background ( you're supposed to put your shortcuts in the lighter colored area on the left side ^^ )

Thumbnail by Cumulus79

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2011
2:04 PM

Post #8860497

Miss Mary, your Pipevine Swallowtail is a stunner! ... Like that black and white Gerbera, too ...

Bienvenue, Cumulus79 ... the Rose Mosaic is very charming indeed ... and what a lovely little forest around your corner! ... I like your idea for a desktop background, think I'll try that for some of mine!

Spent yesterday at a photo workshop ... covered many things ... rented a super Canon 24-70L lens for the occasion ... my head was swimming ... the more I learn, the more I don't know! ... in any event, some things are now clearer than mud, and others, well ...

We spent about 45 minutes standing out on Alma street practicing "panning" ... something I'm not too good at ... my last shot was the closest I got to achieving the effect (f22, 1/50 sec, ISO 100, 28 mm) ... it has been Topazzed slightly ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2011
2:06 PM

Post #8860500

Police car coming around the corner ... f3.2, 1/4000 sec, ISO 400, 70 mm ... cropped and topazzed (I liked the juxtaposition of the bicycle signs and police car ...)

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2011
2:07 PM

Post #8860501

Of course, after a while I got tired of taking pictures of moving cars ... and that lens is VERY heavy ... so I looked to the sky ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2011
2:09 PM

Post #8860503

We spend a while in the lobby of a posh bank where they've got fresh flower arrangement all over, as well as interesting plants ... taking "macros" (all using a tripod, and manual everything ...)

Here's a lily ... no futzing with this, just added the frame ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8860507

Playing around with monochrome with sepia filter ... a bromelaid (I did run this through topaz HDR pop) ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8860508

Then I had to do kind of a bromelaid flip ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 23, 2011
3:09 PM

Post #8860563

Wow Jubilda you are working overtime. Such fun to learn.
Cumulus welcome to the forum and nice work on the photos.
Pond project is coming along bvut killed 8 of my fish. Too small of a holding tank.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 23, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8860620

Jubilada, those are great! I especially like the last two of the bromeliad! Such a wonderful platinum effect -- wow! One of the first things I noticed on that first one was how you managed to pick up texture on the plant and none on the background items. Those really tickle my fancy!
Edaleputt
Evansdale, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 23, 2011

Post #8860662

Miss Mary, the butterfly is beautiful! It is such a thrill to see something new! I have never seen this swallowtail. I love your Gerbera is gorgeous!

Cumulus79 the pink rose mosaic is beautiful as is the forest scene!

Jubilada, looks like you had a great time in the workshop! Love the lily! How do you like using a tripod? I do not have the patience to use one, I know one can get much better photos when using one, just not for me I guess :).

Been playing a bit this evening.

Thumbnail by Edaleputt

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 23, 2011
4:32 PM

Post #8860684

Oh, Lily ---! The simple beauty you captured in that is wonderful!

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 23, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8860714

Miss Mary, The B&W Daisy is such a wonderful composition!

Cumulus79, Great idea for wallpaper! And lovely photo with the rays of sun streaming through.

Jubilada, Sounds like you had a fun and productive workshop. I think your panning shot is quite good! That is incredibly hard to do. You even got starbursts. Cool!
I like that bird in flight image. The lily is absolutely beautiful - perfect DOF. Ditto what Miss Mary said about the bromeliads - the color effect is gorgeous. That would be a nice effect for a Christmas card.

Ted, Sorry to hear you lost some fish. Hopefully the rest will be in their new home soon.

Lily, That is a very cool application of selective color and I love the butterfly's shadow - it's a heart.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 23, 2011
7:01 PM

Post #8860891

[quote="P_Edens"] That would be a nice effect for a Christmas card.

[/quote]

Patti, I was thinking that same thing. Those bromeliad photos of Jubilada's remind me of Christmases past. Way past...! I had a nice nostalgia trip, Jubilada. Thanks!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 24, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8861371

Raindrops on my Gerbera Daisy...edited with Topaz Detail and Denoise.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 24, 2011
1:56 PM

Post #8861895

How to tell when there's something good on Kitty TV...

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 24, 2011
3:00 PM

Post #8861962

Miss Mary, The Gerbera with all those wonderful drops is wonderful, but that Kitty TV got a chuckle out of me. Made my day.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 24, 2011

Post #8862059

Thanks, Patti. It was a moment that just had to be captured!

Hoverfly on Sunflower (Topaz Simplicity)...

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2011
4:48 PM

Post #8862094

Miss Mary, that Kitty TV shot is great ... and the Hoverfly is Heavenly ... marvelous shot, wonderful treatment!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8862182

And Lily, that's a very lovely Monarch butterfly creation ... and on the subject of tripods, I don't use one as often as I should ... that's for sure ...

TAR, sorry to hear about those fish ... hope the others fare better and are soon safe in new new pond ...
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8862228

Here's a nice gate and some statuary ... topazzed a bit, of course ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2011
6:03 PM

Post #8862231

A skeleton in someone's yard ... I used a little flash fill when I took the shot ... then applied (after RAW stuff) some Topaz (Adjust Photo Pop and Clean) ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2011
6:05 PM

Post #8862235

The trees are just beginning to change color here ... (Topaz adjust and clean) ... oh, I also removed a street light ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 24, 2011
6:43 PM

Post #8862282

Wonderful treatments on those, Jubilada. They have just the right touch! I like that little starburst on the blue van's glass in that last one. I can't, for the life of me, imagine where the street light was. Great work!

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 24, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8862360

Jubilada, Nice work! The Topaz treatment seems to even out the light if that makes sense. Great color on that tree and I also like the starbursts.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2011
7:45 PM

Post #8862381

Mum Kaleido ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 24, 2011
9:26 PM

Post #8862490

Jubilada, it looks like you did that Mum in layers and beveled each one. Am I close? Super cool!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2011
8:09 AM

Post #8862975

Not every layer, Miss Mary, just the top three ...
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2011
12:17 PM

Post #8863253

Jubilada that freally made it 3D effect.
My fish are in their new home. Just hae to decorate. LOL
Water garden will be in foreground, water fall to the right going into the garden. Making it so when finished, the fish will be able to go into the water garden to eat and spawn.

Thumbnail by TARogers5

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2011
2:00 PM

Post #8863374

TAR I'm really impressed with that water project of yours ... incredibly ambitious, and boy is it going to be gorgeous when finished! Those lucky fish!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8864996

Red Zinnia ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8866205

This is my budget. Add 8 zero’s to it and it is the goverments.

Annual family income: $21,700
Money the family spent: $38,200
New debt on the credit card: $16,500
Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710
Total budget cuts: $385
NOW WE UNDERSTAND
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2011
3:09 PM

Post #8867278

Well, TAR, I'm at a loss for words ... you say "Now we understand," but quite frankly I don't ... probably not the right forum for such a discussion, in any event ...

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8867360

Jubilada, I love that kaleido and that zinnia is so beautiful. The color is stunning and the OOB treatment is very cool. I have a photo of a bud I couldn't ID that looks something like that one. Hmmmmm. Maybe it was a zinnia.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2011
4:53 PM

Post #8867384

There was this tree I walked by earlier this week, and yesterday I went back with camera/tripod in hand to take its picture. It's a beautiful tree, and it was about 2:30 in the afternoon, the light seemed to be just right ... also, no power lines! Of course, there's a "no parking" sign in there, and maybe I'll take that out ... this is the best of the several HDR series (three exposures only -2, 0, +2), done in Adobe HDRPro. I then ran the resulting TIFF back through Camera Raw for some extra tweaking ... (I also tried PhotoMatix, but was not happy with that result) ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8867409

Jubilada, That is a beautiful tree and photo! Great job on the HDR and DOF. Fantastic detail! I like the realistic look you achieved with HDR Pro.

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8867521

Some color change going on in Tulsa. This was at a nature center north of the airport.

Orton and frame.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2011
7:18 PM

Post #8867525

Little park just behind the hotel. Orton and fake sky - it was white/overcast.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 29, 2011
2:01 PM

Post #8868244

At the nature center

Another Gavin Hoey triptych.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 29, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8868361

Jubilada, that tree really is full of character! Wonderful work on that one. Those really are special Zinnias! I like the effect you used on that one, too.

During my visit yesterday to Lichterman Nature Center here, I saw some beautiful sights. I hope to make it back in the next few days. The colors fade so fast once they start to change.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8868372

Oh, Patti, such pretty pictures ... I love that one of the little park ... what a sense of serene! The triptych is swell, too ... darling little grasshopper sparrow!

Miss Mary, what colors, wow, wow, wow! Very nice ...

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 29, 2011
4:13 PM

Post #8868399

Miss Mary, Oh my! That is so beautiful. The colors are incredible. I just want to walk down that path and see what else is waiting to be found.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 29, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8868482

Patti, your little park looks simply enchanted. It really does look peaceful!

Another shot at Lichterman. I applied a little Orton, removed a concrete light post and added some light.

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 29, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8868588

Miss Mary, Another beauty. The lighting looks so natural - as if the foliage is glowing. Great job!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2011
7:23 PM

Post #8868603

A new shot of these trees (I did one last year) HDR (three exposures only) ... the color is a bit different from last year, although it was about the same time ... anyhow, again I prefer the Adobe HDRPro ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 29, 2011
7:27 PM

Post #8868609

Another nice view of that tree! What kind of tree is it?

Here are some berries that caught my eye.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2011
8:01 PM

Post #8868629

Well, Patti, "these trees" are different from "that tree" (Oct. 28) ... in fact not even in the same location ... I believe they are Liquidambar trees ... they should get much redder in the following days ... over to their right is a maple tree (not shown in this picture), which is also quite striking a little later on in the season ...

Lovely berries, btw ...

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 30, 2011
2:47 AM

Post #8868779

Ah, I thought the one on the right was the same tree from a different angle and shot last year. I need to read more carefully.

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 30, 2011
5:05 AM

Post #8868819

A few more shots from the nature center put together in a Gavin Hoey "Ball of Images" and stuck inside a freebie photoshop texture called "Room". I can't remember where I found that texture image. If I find it again, I'll post the link.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 30, 2011
1:54 PM

Post #8869432

Still playing with that Grasshopper Sparrow. He is such a cute little bird.

This one was a blend of color sketch and watercolor in Fotosketcher and then took that into Pixel Bender oil. I also did a little bit of "gardening". I removed a few of the twigs.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 30, 2011
3:02 PM

Post #8869480

I like the end result of your effects on the sparrow, Patti. I'm glad you didn't yank that cute little curlicue weed, by the way.
Edaleputt
Evansdale, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 30, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8869645

Wow, Miss Mary, that water drop daisy is gorgeous! Amd the kitty pic, too cute! And the hoverfly just pops and pops again! Nice work! Your fall tree and scene is beautiful!

Jubilada, your skeleton would make a wonderful Halloween card. Love the OOB zinnia, such a beautiful red, and your fall tree is gorgeous! Nice kaliedo as always! Also the HDR.

Patti your grasshopper triptych is outstanding, super! And the sprarrow fotosketched is great as is your Ball of Images! And your berry shot is good also.

I took this at Reiman Butterfly House, it is a Madagascar Moth! Topazed

Thumbnail by Edaleputt

Edaleputt
Evansdale, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 30, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8869647

Flowers are getting harder and harder to find in my garden.

Thumbnail by Edaleputt

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2011
5:44 PM

Post #8869684

Patti, that "nature images" globe is really very nice ... I like the way the individual images edges are softened and kind of "flow" into each other ... lovely ... And your sweet little Grasshopper Sparrow image is darling!

Lily, such an interesting creature that Madagascar Moth! Nice catch! Pretty gazania? gallardia?

Here's a very old shot of my four kitties and the great pumpkin (carved with a cat face by you know who...) ... this is the ONLY picture of my four kitties together in one place ... (needless to say, much manipulation ...)

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8869695

Pumpkins on a porch ... trying for a special effect ... marginally successful ... but, nice pumpkins ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2011
5:48 PM

Post #8869697

A front yard display ... this photo was taken during the day, but manipulated (in many ways) to look as if it were in the moonlight (at least that's what I was aiming for, lol) ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8869699

And just for fun ... here's last year's Halloween thing ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8869792

Heres one from me too. Have a happy one.

Thumbnail by TARogers5

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 30, 2011
8:13 PM

Post #8869820

Lily, that moth is indeed something else!
Jubilada, the kitty quartet would make such a wonderful card!
TAR, that's really SOME image!! Wow!

Another of my shots at Lichterman Nature Center last week, Topaz Detail applied. Also, a little bit of color manipulation here and there.

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2011
1:25 PM

Post #8870724

Mary that was a photo of me. I applied ATX Redfield plug in to it.
Now dont let this scare you. Boo

Thumbnail by TARogers5

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8870873

TAR, I just knew you got that new Redfield Plug-In! I downloaded the demo, and haven't played with it yet. That last one you did is great! Whew, too scary!

Here's a moderate scary ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8871730

Y, no se olvide ... Day of the Dead ... (from my archives) ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2011
8:54 AM

Post #8871786

Jubilada those are good.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2011
3:10 PM

Post #8872288

Pink Flamingo and Mums ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8872556

Necked Lady (Redfield)

Thumbnail by TARogers5

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 3, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8875175

Geranium Kaleido (I had to make a template for someone who wanted to do a 9-point kaleido, so this is my test ...)

Thumbnail by Jubilada

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 3, 2011
7:07 PM

Post #8875445

In my book, Jubilada, you have aced the test!

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 4, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8875890

Just got back home from what might be my last business trip. ^_^ ! Was in New Orleans and avoiding the French Quarter like the plague, although, I think it is probably okay now.

I have enjoyed seeing all of the treats waiting for me, especially the Halloween ones. It's a bit late, but I ran across this Gavin Hoey "Pumpkin Carving" tutorial this morning.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=PhotoGavin#p/u/0/QJiorOul6Rk

Lily, That moth is fascinating! It reminds me of a Luna Moth. I like the composition of your flower image - perfect position and angle of the background flower.

Jubilada, The kitties with their attention raptly affixed on the Great Pumpkin is so cute! Your porch pumpkins might be good candidates for the Hoey tut. I like the shadows of the web on the pumpkins! Cool effect. Fantastic job on the Day to Night (DTN) conversion. I've seen lots of these and done a few. Not easy to make it look natural as you have done. I always like seeing your masterpiece self portrait in the witchy costume. That is some awesome PS work. Loving that Flamingo image. I've been in OOB withdrawal, so perfect timing. The shadows of the flowers are the perfect touch. Cool job on that kaleido. I always have to comment on the critters, and, sure enough, they are there - bats maybe - with cute little antennae. ^_^

Ted, Very cool self portrait of you with that plug-in. I thought it was a macro shot of a president on a coin. LOL! Second image with that alien being is quite scary! Love it. The fractaled flower is way cool looking.

Miss Mary, The second Nature Center shot is so pretty! Love seeing all that beautiful color.

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 4, 2011
7:10 AM

Post #8876007

Update on that Lytro camera that you can focus after taking photo ...
https://www.lytro.com/camera

It is so simple. Hard to believe a decent photo can come out of that plain little box. I would imagine that in a few years, it will have all sorts of enhancements to raise the cost.

It should be actually available in early 2012 and really inexpensive. You know I'll have to get one to play. The only reason I didn't already sign up for the waiting list is because you have to upload the photos to a Mac to play with the focus and process. I will wait until they get the PC interface worked out before I sign up to buy one.

This message was edited Nov 4, 2011 9:13 AM

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 4, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8876825

Patti, the Gavin Hoey tut is great! I wonder what else it could be applied to besides pumpkins.

Lichterman Nature Center this week...

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 4, 2011
5:04 PM

Post #8876829

Down an Autumn pathway at Lichterman -- had to do a lot of purple fringe removal on this one.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 4, 2011
10:15 PM

Post #8877157

And, finally, a DAP Watercolor on this one, with original blended back in, then framed with Classic Frames...

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2011
6:11 AM

Post #8877390

Miss Mary, That Nature Center must be a beautiful place and you picked a perfect time. I love all of the fall colors. I also love the trail photos you are taking (in the last posts at LNC and this time too). They are wonderful compositions (using the "leading line" composition technique) that really make me wish I was there so I could walk down those paths and see what else is there. My viewer eye is most certainly being led down those paths, which is exactly what you want to do. Great job! The DAP photo and treatment is my favorite on this set though. Great color and wonderful reflection.

Now you have me wondering what I can do with that pumpkin carving technique too. I don't really have any decent photos of pumpkins and until you mentioned it, never thought to try it with something else... hmmmmmm.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2011
1:48 PM

Post #8877824

Miss Mary, lovely selection of photos from the Nature Center ... ditto what Patti says ... marvelous composition, and colors!

Patti, thanks for that Gavin Hoey link ... I'll keep that around for next year. I did get a couple of good pumpkin shots this year that I can use. But, as Miss Mary says, it could be used for anything ... hmmmmm ...

Also, Patti, waiting for some shots of New Orleans ... bet you got some good ones!

And, here's a recent article from the SF Chronicle about a night photography exhbit that's opening up next week ...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/10/08/DDBM1L4LCA.DTL

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 5, 2011
1:56 PM

Post #8877829

Flat-nosed photographers! Now that's a new one for me. Very interesting article, Jubilada!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2011
3:28 PM

Post #8877925

I saw a couple of those Alfred Stieglitz prints at an exhibit a year or so ago ... overwhelmingly impressive! And those were not digital cameras!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 5, 2011

Post #8877982

I can't imagine life before digital (even though I lived it!).

Zinnia Kaleido...

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2011
4:20 PM

Post #8877989

Pretty zippy zinnia kaleido, Miss Mary ...

Now, I'm just being silly, but here are a couple ... first off, a laughing Mum, ala Gavin Hoey ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2011

Post #8877991

And a couple of denizens of a Pineapple Guava refugee camp in my back yard ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8878050

Jubilada, You took that GH ball and ran with it. Your Mum and Pineapple Guava denizens are adorably cute. Mr. Bill - LOL

Miss Mary, That zinnia kaleido is an eye opener - so bright and colorful!

Jubilada, Fantastic article on Night Photography! Makes me want to go out tonight and shoot, but I have to drive a couple hours to get away from the Houston lights, so I have to plan ahead. I didn't get hardly any photos in New Orleans. I did go to a National Wildlife Refuge, but the mosquitos were the largest population of wildlife. They were really hungry and hard to photograph. So, I've still been playing with my Oklahoma photos.

There was another new Hoey tutorial I discovered this morning. Not as interesting to me, but I had to give it a try. Started with the Orton of the shot in the park.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=PhotoGavin#p/u/0/0GKipkUSimg

Thumbnail by P_Edens

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8878054

Tried one of the bird house shots...hohum. It just doesn't do it for me. It probably needed some tweaking and I just followed his directions exactly without experimenting.

Now I'm off to carving something - ^_^

Thumbnail by P_Edens

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 5, 2011
6:40 PM

Post #8878145

Patti, I think I might have to agree with your thoughts on that effect. I actually did some tweaking on this one but it's just not ringing any bells for me. Maybe with some further adjustments...

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2011
7:44 PM

Post #8878252

Well, the jury is probably still out on that new Gavin technique ... however, this is what I came up with on a random photo ... trying to stay true to everything that Gavin recommended, including file size ... it's not an overwhelming result, but on the right kind of photo it could be quite effective ... this photo, btw, is some statuary outside the Junior Zoo and Museum in Palo Alto ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 6, 2011
4:00 AM

Post #8878502

Jubilada, I think you are so correct in that the photo chosen is key to success with that new GH technique.

I gave the pumpkin carving technique a try. Since cacti don't usually have candles inside, I toned down the glow, but then it was boring. So, I added some light rays. Then it was a bit otherworldly, so I added some text. Then I threw it away. ^_^ Later, I retrieved it from the trash can, added the two together in a comic strip and here it is. Silly, silly, silly.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2011
6:17 AM

Post #8878671

Don Juan rose kalide. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 6, 2011
8:21 PM

Post #8879665

Alien Cactus! What a hoot, Jubilada! Clever use of the carving technique, I must say.

My brother came in from Oklahoma last week. We went to Lichterman and he got this shot...Topaz Detail and Orton added by me:

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 7, 2011
7:38 AM

Post #8879990

Been having a little fun this morning. Nevermind the dirty dishes in the sink and the lonely vacuum cleaner in the closet...

Ahem, well, anyway...

http://www.picnik.com/

Fun, easy, free (what more can I say?):

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 7, 2011
7:58 AM

Post #8880009

Thanks for the link, Miss Mary ... I'll definitely check it out!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 7, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8880640

Another Picniked (?) photo. I drove around today leaf-peeping and saw some beautiful things...

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 7, 2011
4:22 PM

Post #8880655

Cool rose kaleido BEV. I like the heart shapes.

Miss Mary, Kudos to you and your brother - Nice shot of that beautiful foliage and I really like the Orton treatment. Picnik looks like fun. I will try it out tonight. Love the water reflection and the gorgeous red fall color.

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 7, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8880668

Wheeee. What fun! I think I'll be spending more time on Picnik! Thanks, Miss Mary!!!

Thumbnail by P_Edens

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 7, 2011
6:41 PM

Post #8880832

Patti, that's got to be the avian world's answer to Fred Astaire!

Ok, I removed a pipe, a speed limit sign, a pickup truck, three cars and a biker from this, then I Topaz Detailed it...whew!

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 7, 2011
7:00 PM

Post #8880846

Holy mackerel! You must have had to recreate the road from scratch.I can't tell anything was removed. Amazing work! And I really like the composition.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 7, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8880872

I did most of it with the spot healing brush, some of it with the clone brush. I couldn't believe it worked so well!

Here's something I did with Picnik and then PSE:

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 7, 2011
8:41 PM

Post #8880978

Another PIC/PSE creation...guess I could call it Fall Madness:

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 7, 2011
9:54 PM

Post #8881020

I kept trying to get shots of the Fall colors today but the clouds kept passing in front of the sun...so I started taking photos of the clouds. I had to do some perspective adjusting to this one (distracting angles). Then I cropped, used Topaz Detail and tweaked the contrast. I didn't even realize when I was taking the picture that there were rays rising and descending from that cloud!

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 8, 2011
8:01 AM

Post #8881417

Wow, Miss Mary, you are having some fun! That Fall Madness is really cool, and LOVE those clouds!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 8, 2011
8:40 AM

Post #8881470

I'm afraid I haven't the time to play much ... but had to do a quick check of that Picknik ... so following Patti's lead with the holiday theme, here's Frankie getting ready ... yep, there's a lot to check out, there ... Miss Mary, have you sprung for the Premium?

Thumbnail by Jubilada

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 8, 2011
9:03 AM

Post #8881495

Frankie he elf! That's great!

No, I haven't taken the bait yet, Jubilada. I might give it a one-month try just to check it out. I wish it was a product that could be bought instead of an annual subscription, though.

Love that Frankie!
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2011
9:20 AM

Post #8881511

That is neat freebe. Thanks Mary
Next week Topaz adjust 5 will be released. Has the same interfce as B&W adjust with 100 more presets.

This message was edited Nov 9, 2011 7:19 PM

Thumbnail by TARogers5

Edaleputt
Evansdale, IA
(Zone 4b)

November 9, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8883712

Wow, what a busy group this has been! Loved all the Halloween photos Jubilada, some scary stuff :). And Frankie all ready for Santa!

Patti your Fred Astaire birdie is cute, I love the before with the bad hair day... :).

Miss Mary you have been having a good time with picnik, you have gotten some good results with it! The one you did with the healing brush and both picnik and PSE is really cool.

TARogers you got some good results with the program as well, gonna have to check it out.

I got a new computer and am still getting used to it.

I got this tutorial from photoshopelements users web sit.

Thumbnail by Edaleputt

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 9, 2011
7:58 PM

Post #8883969

Miss Mary, That Picnik/PSE image is wonderful. I love the framing. The Fall Madness reminds me of something out of one of my old chemistry books - the cloud of electrons surrounding a chemical element. Oh my, that was dredged up from ancient history. Cool rays from those clouds!

Jubilada, Sr. F, the red-nosed reincat is adorable.

Ted, Fantastic treatment for those nekkid ladies.

Lily, Beautiful butterfly image! And the enlarged, faded version worked into the background along with that text looks awesome. Do try that picnik website. It is a picnic.

I have one more picnik ...
This is a juvenile Canyon Towhee I got while in Big Bend National Park. I enhanced it and added a vignette and frame in picnik.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 9, 2011
11:08 PM

Post #8884226

Check out this guy's images of words refracted in water drops. Amazing work.
http://www.gather.com/viewSlideshow.action?albumId=34195

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 10, 2011
8:08 AM

Post #8884529

I have become hopelessly addicted to picnik.
vignette, orton, before and after, drop shadow

The cool thing is that it only takes about 2 minutes to do this. Now, back to work ... shhhhhhhh.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2011
12:09 PM

Post #8884888

Patti great hobby to be addicted to. LOL The new Topaz adjust will do it also. Free if you already have #4
Edaleputt congradulations on trhe new computer.
Mary great results on your work
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 10, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8885195

TAR, very interesting "nekkid ladies" there ... I'm all excited about the new Topaz Adjust ... are you going to do the webinar? I've signed up for it. Glad to know I'm eligible for the free upgrade!

Lily, that's a wonderful result you got from that tutorial ... what a lovely butterfly creation. And I must say that part of me agrees with the sentiment wholeheartedly ... the other (the crabby old lady part) has some reservations ...

Patti, aren't you having fun with that picnik stuff?!?! Good job! Also, those refracted images in water drops are amazing!

Took a walk today, and came up with a few things ... have been wanting to try out that GH Triptych tut, so here's the first one ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 10, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8885197

Another ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 10, 2011
4:32 PM

Post #8885200

Diptych ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 10, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8885204

Monotych (???) ... (I walk by this house frequently, and am always impressed at how beautifully manicured the grounds are ... it's a huge place, and they always have a wonderful array of flowers going up the walkway ...)

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 10, 2011
4:35 PM

Post #8885209

And, finally, the Pumpkin and the Porch Light ... done up at Picnik (HDR, Vignette, frame, what not ...)

Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 11, 2011
4:30 AM

Post #8885666

Jubilada, I want to walk where you walk. My neighborhood is sooooo boring in comparison. That house and walkway is something out of the movies. Wow! I love the trips and the dip with all the wonderful colors and tones. I also like the different sized photos. You always have that personal touch that makes all of these tutorials better! Cool picnik creation with the Pumpkin and the Porch Light!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2011
1:03 PM

Post #8886145

Thanks, Patti ... my friend and walking partner and I always say that we live in Paradise ... of course, today is all grey and wet and cold, but ... such is life ...

Here's another from yesterday ... the Palm tree and Pistache tree in the courtyard of the neighborhood Lutheran Church ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2011
1:04 PM

Post #8886150

Lupita lounging languidly in yesterday's afternoon sun on the Zapotec throw (topazzed) ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 11, 2011
6:49 PM

Post #8886552

I can only agree with (and echo) Patti -- you have that personal touch that just so YOU! Lupita looks so comfy. I can just feel her warm fur! That triptych of the golden trees -- OHHH! Hey, I like the background you used on the diptych. How'd you do it? Wonderful array of goodies there!

Patti, I can see you're having fun! And your Orton/Vignette creation looks great! I really like the way it separates the fore- and backgrounds. Sorry if I created a monster addiction for you but I'm enjoying the side effects and hoping you won't go cold turkey anytime soon!

And now...I've found another freebie. Why do these things come along all at once? Well, I've never heard of this one and would like to know if any of you have any knowledge of it. I receive a newsletter from Dave's Computer Tips (http://www.davescomputertips.com/2011/11/xara-photo-and-graphic-designer-%E2%80%93-free-for-a-limited-time/) and they highlight (among other things) freebie software. Here's this week's spotlight:

http://www.magix.com/?id=9192&L=52

Through the 24th, you can download this program free. It's a really large file but I went ahead and took the bait. I really can't imagine myself taking the time to go in depth with it (at least not right now) but thought I'd play with it some.

Here's a photo of a Monarch from last Summer, done with the "Find Edges" filter:

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 11, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8886553

The same photo, but I forgot what the name of the effect was...

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 11, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8886555

And here it is crumpled...

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 11, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8886557

Well, I think that link to Dave's Computer Tips (not related to Dave's Garden) doesn't work, so here's what was said about the software:

Xara Photo and Graphic Designer – FREE for a limited time
Posted on November 9th, 2011 by Jim Hillier

Magix is currently offering its Xara Photo and Graphic Designer software free to everyone.

PLEASE NOTE: This is version 5 of the software, which is an older version that previously sold for $89.99usd but is now free until 24th November.

Now, we wouldn’t usually include older versions of software in our Freebies section but this one is an exception to the rule, because it really is very good software which remains relevant today.

Xara Photo and Graphic Designer provides an easy way to design web pages, business cards, invoices, letterheads, and many other graphic formats. It also works very well with existing photos/images.

Image Editing
Creative Effects
illustrate, draw & paint
Text, layout & desktop publishing
There is a lot more detailed information available on the promo page.

To get your free copy of Xara Photo and Graphic designer go to THIS PAGE and click on the “Download now for free!” link. Please note; the download is a large one, weighing in at 365MB. Also, you need to register the program online within 7 days of installation, after which you can continue using it for free.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This software comes bundled with the Ask Toolbar but opt-out is available, please monitor the installation carefully. If you do not want the bundled extras, make sure to uncheck all Ask options during the installation process.

The website for the newsletter is http://www.davescomputertips.com/.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 11, 2011
8:11 PM

Post #8886609

In the forest at Lichterman Nature Center today (Topaz Detail and PSE tweaking applied):

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 12, 2011
12:35 PM

Post #8887261

Been Picnikking today. Some Memphis color from yesterday...HDR-ish effect:

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 12, 2011
12:35 PM

Post #8887262

Crystallize effect on this one:

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 12, 2011
12:37 PM

Post #8887265

This one's not my favorite, but the effect helped some (HDR-ish):

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 12, 2011
12:46 PM

Post #8887278

Miss Mary, Love the butterfly examples of the Xara software. Free! Pretty cool. I know I can do the first two effects in Photoshop, but I don't know about the crumpled one.

The colors you are getting are beautiful. That crystallize effect is pretty cool - reminds me of the Orton effect with a little less glow.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2011
4:47 PM

Post #8887569

Miss Mary, those are some gorgeous colors you're getting there! And while I'm intrigued by that Xara software, will restrain myself ... I have more software now than I can shake a stick at, and much of it unexplored ... don't need to add more to my pile of stuff, but thanks for the tip, anyhow!

I wasted some time this afternoon playing with leaves ... the resulting examples are not exactly what I was looking for, but I'll share them anyhow ... they're interesting, I suppose ...

Leaf Project 1 ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2011
4:47 PM

Post #8887570

Leaf Project 2...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 12, 2011
4:55 PM

Post #8887585

I like those leaf frames! What a cool idea! And the second batch of leaves appearing to be falling through the air. Those are some great leaves, by the way. Some you've collected on your walks?

Used Picnik HDR-ish on this bee fly...

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 12, 2011
8:01 PM

Post #8887863

Dixon Gardens last week...HDR-ish followed by Focal Soften:

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 13, 2011
10:11 AM

Post #8888274

Beautiful leaves, Jubilada. I especially like the second one. As Miss Mary said, the leaves appear to be falling through the air. Lovely presentation! Did you shoot them on a "green screen" type background to make the selection easier?

Miss Mary, The bee fly is so sharp! Excellent photo and very subtle HDR! Looks great. I really love what you have done with the frog. That is so good. The photo with the frog on the golden third and the leading line back to the background is awesome. And then the treatment just makes it perfect. The frog is nice and sharp and keeps the attention, so while the eye does wander back along the leading line and admires the lovely foliage, it comes right back to Mr. Frog. Outstanding. I wish it were mine.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 13, 2011
12:16 PM

Post #8888487

Thank you, Patti. I always like the input I get on this thread from you and the others. I find it very helpful. I've been playing around with that focal softness effect on Picnik and really like it. I almost chunked the frog photo because it lacked interest before I decided to give that tool a try on it.

Here's another one...

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8888690

Miss Mary, I can only echo what Patti said about that Mr. Frog Photo ... it's wonderful! I like that "leaf in the forest" one, too. Very nice!

My leaves, I picked from the sidewalk ... and scanned them (individually) in my scanner. Then I adjusted each one's hue and saturation (applied clipping mask so that adjustment didn't affect the other layers) ... it was an interesting experiment ...
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2011
11:40 AM

Post #8889974

The last of the Red Zinnias, take 1 ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2011
11:42 AM

Post #8889976

The last of the Red Zinnias, take 2 (both pictures topazzed, cropped ...)

Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2011
12:44 PM

Post #8890069

Oh, Wow! I never thought about scanning leaves. I've heard of it before, but never realized they would come out that good. That is so cool! I love the perspective you chose for that first zinnia photo! Lots of fantastic angles. Your DH does a wonderful job with that woodworking!

Great angles on the second one too! I'd like to see that one shot wide open, at f2.8 if the lens has it and focused on the vase. The f2.8 would be quite a bit less depth of field than the f8. I think it would look cool with the background blurred out a bit.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 14, 2011
1:29 PM

Post #8890141

I really like the background you chose for that last one, Jubilada. The raw wood, the concrete, the chipping paint on the door with the old knob...wow, what a setting for the shiny vase full of bold, red zinnias! I'm loving it!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8890346

Thanks, ladies ... and Patti, thanks also for the suggestion ... I really need to have someone like you as a tutor, to give me ideas and point things out to try, because I honestly think I spend too much time flailing about and not zeroing in on the best techniques ...

Nevertheless, my Tamron only goes to 3.5, and that's only if it's not zoomed ... so I went back with my 55 mm and tried a few (of course the light was different) ... I'm still having trouble getting consistent, decent depth of field, no matter what lens I use ... ack ...

Anyhow, Red Zinnias number 3 ... (only post processing in RAW, which included some fill and exposure correction) ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2011
4:16 PM

Post #8890349

Red Zinnias number 4, and now I have to get back to my chores! ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8890450

Jubilada, Thanks for satisfying my curiosity! And believe me, I get more ideas from you than I could ever think of on my own. I might know just enough about technique to be stifling myself from the creative energy that you let flow freely. I wish we could trade approaches for awhile. I know I would benefit greatly from your creativity.

In comparing numbers 2 and 4, I find that I like them both a lot and cannot choose a favorite. They are so different and both very good in their own way. I hope I can explain what I'm thinking in words that will translate from my brain waves.

I like 2 for the reasons Miss Mary pointed out. The door is so interesting. The red, white and blue colors have an appeal that is lost in #4. The juxtaspositioning of the old and the new also draws me to #2. This is a very dynamic, active photo that has my eyes dancing and enjoying the dance.

And I like #4 because, just the opposite of the appeal of #2. It is less dynamic and more relaxing to my eye. I like to see the subject of photos stand out and grab the viewer's attention without any distractions other than to just sense that there is a background (or foreground or both), but not dwell on them. #4 does that for me except for that bit of white in the background. I think I would have moved it if possible to get an even more tranquil feel.

It is two completely different approaches to the same subject and they both work very well.

I thought this crop might be nice too, using the wood as a frame ... (Hope you don't mind me playing with your photo.)

Thumbnail by P_Edens

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2011
1:45 PM

Post #8891548

Jubi took one of your Zinnias and played with it. Just tinkering around.
Mary nice fall color shots and treatment.

Thumbnail by TARogers5

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2011
2:42 PM

Post #8891620

Patti, thanks a lot for your input ... and it would be great to trade approaches ... I really need to hang out with other photographers, it would do me good ... right now I'm just kind of a lone wolf ... Of course I don't mind your playing with my photo ... in fact, I almost cropped it exactly as you have, but decided not to ...

TAR, whoa, I'll say you tinkered with that zinnia! Practically unrecognizable!

Now, I've just downloaded the latest upgrade to Topaz Adjust, and have to install it and play a bit ...
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2011
5:04 PM

Post #8891837

I did the same and have to play. Did you see the mut in the Zinnia
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8891986

TAR, I did see the mutt in the zinnia, but I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me (lol) ...

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 15, 2011
8:37 PM

Post #8892117

Ted, That pup in the zinnia is amazing. I didn't actually see it until I read your comment about it. I looked again and was so surprised. Cool!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 15, 2011
9:05 PM

Post #8892155

Camellia at Dixon Gardens last week...

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2011

Post #8893299

Lovely Camellia, Miss Mary ...

Been playing around with the new Adjust 5 ... nothing spectacular so far ... but if you can stand one more zinnia ... this is retro grunge, or something like it, and a few other things, with the vase and zinnias masked back in ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8893302

Trees in Eleanor Pardee Park ... this was cropped, straightened, I took out a light post and a distracting white blob, then went into Topaz Adjust and applied several things, including HDR and Warm Tone something or other ... afterwards I framed it, etc., ad nauseum ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2011

Post #8893313

And just for comparison's sake, here's the original which is untouched ... what I find interesting about this shot (not that it's particularly interesting, or anything like that) is that it was shot at f2.8, 1000th of a second, and still the depth of field is reasonably good and it's in pretty good focus ... I would not have expected these results ... so, Patti, what's the phenomenon here??? It seems to be better than what I would usually get at f8 (this is my little PowerShot) ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 16, 2011
6:40 PM

Post #8893459

Miss Mary, That camellia image is so pretty - lovely color and I like the pattern created by the light and shadows. The dark background really pops out that beautiful color.

Jubilada, That is one beautifully shaped tree and the colors are fantastic. I really like your Topaz+ version.

Great question on the depth of field! The short answer is that in general P&S cameras get much greater depth of field because of their tiny sensors. That's one of the reasons people move to dSLRs - so they can achieve greater control over DOF and blur the background when they want to. But, I must say, I have P&S envy when I see Miss Mary's perfectly focused macro shots of bees and stuff. To get that degree of depth of field with a dSLR is very difficult.

The real answer is quite involved, so I will just e-mail it to you so you can read it whenever you are really, really bored and can't find anything else to do. ^_^ . Like that ever happens.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 16, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8893488

Even though the explanation is more than I can grasp, I'm fascinated. Jubilada, it's a wonderful shot of a beautiful tree. You chose a great combination of effects (as judged by my eye) and I like the grassy border!

Ahhh, the roses are likely putting on their last blooms (lows in the 30s and 40s now), so I'm calling this one Pooped Out Party Girl...

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8893491

Well, Patti ... I'm glad to know it's my dSLR and not me (necessarily) with those closeup shots I attempt ... I've agonized over that! I'm going to spend more serious time with your e-mail answer. Thanks!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8893492

Ooops, Miss Mary, our posts crossed in cyberspace ... that Pooped Out Party Girl is a real pip! (Pretty, too.)

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 16, 2011
9:40 PM

Post #8893695

Thanks, Jubilada. Here's a before and after for me...first, BEFORE:

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 16, 2011
9:43 PM

Post #8893702

And now, AFTER...after Picnik HDR-ish, cutting and pasting onto a modified PSE background and tweaking with bevels, shadows, etc.:

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 17, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8894631

Some more playing...used several Picnik and PSE effects on this one:

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8896172

Miss Mary, that's a great leaf experiment/manipulation ... cool background! ... And very nice seed pod with lovely frame!

From my walk today ... a tree mushroom triptych ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8896220

How about some leaves? ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 18, 2011
6:33 PM

Post #8896263

Miss Mary, Are you sure you didn't just pick that leaf up and put it on the porch and take another photo? Hahahah. Seriously, that is some fantastic selection and work. I love the way you did the shadow/bevel, etc. effects to make it look like it belongs on the new background. Wow! And that seed pod image is a nice one - love the blurred background and crystal sharp subject.

Jubilada, I love the fall tones in your images. The shrooms are very interesting looking and I love the triptych presentation. Those leaves are beautiful.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 18, 2011
8:25 PM

Post #8896388

Autumn Ambrosia, Jubilada!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2011
8:26 PM

Post #8896389

It's time for a new thread ...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1230531/

See you all there!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Photos Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the photo forum! dave 34 May 3, 2013 10:18 AM
My tractor and I, Part II dave 52 Sep 27, 2009 7:18 PM
Spring Spring! and my bowling ball! nicole_in_nc 6 Apr 21, 2010 3:35 PM
Riesentraube tomatoes dave 4 Feb 9, 2008 3:25 AM
It's a Bird...It's a Plane....It's Superdave! gardenwife 27 Nov 18, 2007 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America