CLOSED: 2nd Annual FALL Houseplants/Tropicals Swap, Reveal #4

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

We only have a few folks left to receive their minimum of 3 healthy houseplants and/or tropicals. Please Priority Mail yours with a Delivery Confirmation number as soon as you can. Feel free to divide plants you already have or send cuttings or ones you've rooted. If your budget permits, you're also free to include other gardening items like gloves, water globes, plant markers, or Fall bulbs for Summer blooms.

Please DO NOT post Delivery Confirmation Numbers directly on our threads...doing so is an invasion of privacy. Instead, keep your receipt handy, or D-mail me the number you used so I can let your Secret Buddy know their box of plants is on the way.

We came from here: davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1223622/

And our Wish Lists are here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1197083/

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

Reserved for Participants...

candles4u / Crystal -- > Rec'd from goldhillal
careyana / Carey -- > Rec'd from Tina_A
catzgalore / Stephanie -- > Rec'd from tikipod
chellflower / Chell -- > Rec'd from rvnsbrk
dispatcher1 / Lou -- > Rec'd from candles4u
FruitOfTheVine / Susan
GAgirl1066 / Paula -- > Rec'd from roxxanne
GardenQuilts / Lori Lynn -- > Rec'd from careyana
goldhillal / Crystal -- > Rec'd from ilovejesus99
happgarden / Joyce -- > Rec'd from GAgirl1066
ilovejesusus99 / Sandy -- > Rec'd from chellflower
joeswife / Debra -- > Rec'd from FruitOfTheVine
jsxtiger / Jax -- > Rec'd from dispatcher1
rouxcrew / Joy -- > Rec'd from joeswife
roxxanne / Rox -- > Rec'd from happgarden
rvnsbrk / Neener -- > Rec'd from candles4u
tikipod / Angie -- > Rec'd from rouxcrew
Tina_A / Tina -- > Rec'd from jsxtiger

Staying to chat but aren't exchanging plants this round:
AmandaEsq / Amanda
Carolyn22 / Carolyn
Cville_Gardener / Carole
janaestone/ Di
Mud_Elf / Kris
plantsforpeg / Peggy

This message was edited Nov 9, 2011 8:07 PM

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

When I was a Smockette's I dug up a Coral Bean. I was told in the spring they had a root system that was next to impossible to dig.....Wow is that an understatement.

Thumbnail by ilovejesus99

I know what you mean, Sandy. My problem is over watering hens and chicks when I know they like dry feet. And now the mealy bugs have found them. It's a good thing they're in their own environment outside and hope spraying with Windex Ammonia like crazy for the past couple of weeks does the trick.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

I never imagined it having a root like this.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Here is the top

It looks like a Wisdom Tooth!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Here is another one we dug.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

That is what I thought to FOTV

That's another plant I'm not familiar with it, Sandy. Is it grown for foliage or does it bloom?

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

It blooms in the spring. I offered seeds on here and posted pics. But here is a thread I posted pictures on that was easier to find :). I still have seeds if you would like some FOTV

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Whoops http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1194066/

This message was edited Oct 15, 2011 9:10 PM

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

hmmm, those look cool... if you have a couple, I would like to try some. ( IN A TUB) lol..

Sounds like you had a good time fruity. I would have freaked at the crowd, tho. I miss going to craft fairs. We might go to Cox Farms tommorrow, they always have such good stuff.

Joyce that was Kaitlyn outside. She has so many more blooms open tonight. Downstairs all the buds are now open on the blooming brug down there.

Pretty, but the tendrils on Kaitlyn and the skirt are much prettier. Son coming over tommorrow to finish up the bringing in of the plants. Just didn't want to be out in the cold doing that stuff. Over night we lost about 5 more fish. Pond is now empty, fish that are left are swimming in their new tub and the pond plants are all settled.

My question is what is the differece between the prennial and non prennial hens n chick things.?
I still have some special ones downstairs, and the prennials have done better since I moved them to the rock Garden and sanded them down .

Thumbnail by joeswife
(Ang) Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

I have some hens and chicks arriving soon. They will stay indoors until spring and then we will make a rock garden bowl with them. I want to do one of those living paintings using frames.

My son has claimed the cobwebs Joyce sent as his lol.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I also got into succulents this year. I figured that was one type of plant that maybe my stoopid cats wouldn't try to eat and puke back up. Jerks.

Um, Froot! jalepeno mustard. Good GOD. Two words together couldn't incite my salivary glands more. :/

There is a hot dill pickle I buy at the giant "farmers market" on the interstate not far from here. We also have a "curbside" market on Saturday and Wednesday too in the summer where the hard core locals are. One vendor in particular "Goat Lady" sells cheeses (!) and my favorite is the 3 pepper goat cheese. GAH! Salivary.

I haven't looked but maybe I should look at the Christmas trade...

Loveto all. I am up late with Debra cause I can't sleep having had too many diet cokes late in the day.

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Sorry I've been scarce the past few days! DH and I took DSD and a friend to Las Vegas for her 21st. It's almost 4am local, our flight is at 8am, and I'm still the only one in the room! Good thing I'm driving back home tomorrow. DH will be a waste!

I'm glad Lori Lynn did get the box! I feel much better knowing that. :)

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Joeswife, is that a hen and chick in your photo above? I call that a ghost plant and even though I have asked it dozens of times to identify itself, it has not yet. At any rate that thing is not hardy for me here in zone 8, but friends in Monroeville, AL keep it year round on their porch. It is much warmer there though.

well goldhillal, I hope I can keep it alive, I have no clue what I am doing. LOL
Amanda, you stayed up later than me, and that is hard to do most of the time LOL
We just need a 48 hour day.

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Wanted to post this from the beach, but couldn't get the picture to load on the old laptop. On a morning walk, I found this piece of semi rotten tree limb laying in the road. Had all these ferns growing on it so I picked it up. Come to find out this is a normal occurence there and that these are "Resurrection Plants". A lot of the trees are covered with these way up in the branches. Now I'm trying to figure a good way to keep this. Just been misting it for now. May try the terrarium route.

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk

That looks like my frilly Echeveria a bit before I beheaded her (she had pups starting below.) I LOVE those and I'm trying to start from seed.

Neener that is adorable. I love ferns ^_^

Blackshear, GA

Neener,
We have lots of that growing down here. Let it dry up...you'll think its dead then start spraying it again and it will come back to life..hence 'resurrection fern"

Is this the same Resurrection Fern that I see listed in the newspaper with the coupons? I've been tempted to order one for Dad along with the Prayer Plant. Kind of going for a Christian theme for him.

Question to you all who have tropicals. I want to increase the humidity where most of my tropicals are and I was wondering if a typical, nonplant, humidifier would work? It would be strictly where these plants would be.

Blackshear, GA

Ang,
Don't order any, I can send you both if you want.

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

That's what I thought Paula. It made the trip home fine, but this morning was looking a little peaked so I did mist it, but I'm thinking that with humidity issues here this winter I should put it in a terrarium to keep it going.

If anyone is interested in the 'Pumpkin on a Stick' seeds please dmail me as I have germination ^_^

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Ang I would think a humidifier would work great. If you are going to buy one I would get a cool mist one. Here is a picture I just took from my Wild Poinsettia.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Dmail me if you would like any seeds I have. I have these seeds Wild Poinsettia, Coral Bean, Fushia and Pink 4 O'clock's. I have a few Burgundy Castor Bean. Trades are welcome lol

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

WOW .... thanks Fruity. A Polly pup.... I like that! I am thinking it is a tropical and needs to be brought inside during the winter, right? I can set it out by Polly's grave in the summer. It is mostly shade out there but if it needs real sun, I can set it in a different spot at the other end that gets sum. TY, TY, TY!!!! Patti's getting a Polly pup in a pot from the post office to perfectly place on Polly's permanent place. ^_^

I love craft fairs but don't hear about them around here until after they are over! And there aren't that many of them anyway.

Oh Debra..... that's too bad about the fishy!!!!

If you girls go to the other sight, there is a forum for hens and chicks. I got a whole bunch of them for postage. Check with fineliners. I think she is the one that directed me to "Karen".

LOL@happ. U are a hoot. I had to continue the embellishment as you can see.

I would love to have those resurection ferns also if you can GA.

Ang.....I use my large portable humidifier in the room where I keep my plants in the
wintertime.

Sandy, I would like a few seeds of the Wild Poinsettia's

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Wow I just read my post...Fushia and Pink??? Isn't that the same?? I meant Fuchsia and Yellow 4 O'clock's seeds. Dmail me your addy Crit.

Crit - other sight?!?!

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

u have dmail

Treat the pup as a houseplant, Patti. And don't over love yours like I did mine last Winter. Water sparingly or she'll just shrink into nothingness. I brought my Amaryllis planters in today that had been sunning on our upstairs deck and think one's a goner from our recent rains combined with poor drainage in that one planter. Chalk that up to a lesson learned.

What a great find, Neener, even if you did get ragged about picking up a living log.

Hey FOTV, what is Polly?

She's an Alocasia, Ang, grown from a bulb. I've seen plants in big box stores with a tag for her that just says 'African Mask'. The leaves are on the smallish side compared to a lot of other elephant ears:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53992/

golly that is a cool looking fern thing.
I use a humidifier, I got it at my sisters garage sale for 5 bucks. it seems to keep everything happy.

Paula thank you for the offer but I'll pass on the fern and the prayer plant. I'm afraid I got myself into big big trouble.

ut oh Ang, wats up?
no more angels around the pear tree..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Nothing serious, just ended up making a big booboo. My memory is getting awful these days (medical.) I'm going to pay (literally) for not writing things down.

ut ohh, well, don't feel lonely in that situation, I sure have made some wrong decisions to spend money on stuff, (home repairs) at the wrong time of the year.
I announce to all the kids that I didn't want gifts this year, that i wanted service instead. painting inside and out, deep cleaning all rooms, and shanpooing the carpet were some of my gift list service wants, so maybe they will get the hint.
I told them I was only getting them one thing, and they had a choice of a hundred dollar bill, or their wish list for the " One Thing" I am going to get them. no more going crazy because I think my kids wil be dissapointed if santa doesn't come. ( they are all grown and moved out , no spouses or even dateing, and still flock over here to see us on weekends.) I dunno, but I think I may be still paying on last christmas sheesh! and Oh, I forgot to pay the AT&t bill and Joe handed me a letter. well, anyway, they are paid, and I am going to make 100.00 last until the 25th.
I hate Money, and that is my perrogative LOL

should I save this one? Jewel weed.

Thumbnail by joeswife

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.