Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: CLOSED: Birthday Club Cards Only Please Join Us!

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 153, Views: 732
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2011
9:07 AM

Post #8850933

After much consideration I have decided to go ahead and change the way the Birthday Club works. I think in deference to the economic times we are in I am going to change this from a gifting kind of thing to CARDS ONLY. This change will go into effect starting in January 2012. I think that is the most fair way to do it so that the people at the end of this year who have played along nicely all year will still get their gifts from everyone.

So everyone that has a birthday starting in January will get a card from each of us in the birthday club sometime the month of their birthday. It is really a lot of fun to get snail mail these days anyway since we all live in such an electronic world. If you are so inclined to want to include a pack of seeds or something flat in with the card that is strictly up to you and should not in anyway be expected by the birthday girl.

I am hoping that this will encourage some of the people that have left us and some that would like to join, but are unemployed, to jump in and make this grow. Just think about getting 10 or 20 or 30 cards in your birthday month! So spread the word far and wide and lets see if we can make some new friends and have a sort of old fashioned pen pal arrangement.

We still want to chat and joke and know what is going on in everyone's life just like before, but at least this should remove the financial burden for a lot of people. Organized people can even get all their cards at the beginning of the year and get them all set up to go during those slow winter months.

Thanks a bunch to all of you for hanging in there and trying to make this work. I don't want it to go by the wayside. I have left the likes and dislikes lists attached for any new members that come on board as well as us old folks to look at so that we can send that extra special card. Everyone has special interests and we should remind ourselves of them now and then.

Current Members:

Rouxcrew (Joy) Jan. 15 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8142063
Irisluvr0252 (Debbie) Feb. 25
ClanCampbell (Chris) Feb.28 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8057458
Carolyn22 (Carolyn) April 3
AmandaEsq (Amanda) April 6
FruitoftheVine- (Susan) April 9 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7958412
momoftwo607 (Erin) May 6 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7885884
Crit (Patti) May 10 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8217784
Mud_Elf (Kris) May 10
GAgirl1066 (Paula) Sept. 1 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8039522
Ridesredmule (Charlene) Oct. 1 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7896427
Rvnsbrk - (Juanita) Oct 9 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7886786
GardenQuail (Michelle) October 28 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8242576
Cville_Gardener (Carole) Nov. 30 Effective on 1/2012
Dahtzu (Faye) December 25
Hope43 (Hope) Dec. 28 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8005430

This message was edited Oct 26, 2011 12:12 PM

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2011
9:12 AM

Post #8850940

Okey Dokey!! Hope everyone follows along now.

I have pictures of goodies!!! First it my fun box from Michelle and her guide dog. Loved the card! My picture is a little out of focus, but so was I last night after a long drive home. She sent me a beautiful crocheted poppy flower and a little vase to sit it in. So pretty!!!

Thanks Michelle!! You're the next birthday in line too!!

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2011
9:19 AM

Post #8850947

Next up is Charlene. WOW what a fun time I had opening all the little clay critters and Charlies. There were so many things in this box I know I will forget something. There was a turtle, a 3 piece dragon, an angel, a southwestern skull, a smaller dragon, a spider, a pansy necklace, a pot holder, a scrubbie, one of those neck things that you can make wet and use in the summer, 2 Charleys and probably some other things yet that I forgot.. Oh yes, some jewelry as well. Sorry for the busy background, but the chaise was a handy place to lay it all out.

Love it all Char!! Thanks!

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2011
9:26 AM

Post #8850952

Then there is the fabulous goodies from Joy! A pretty dish towel that is too nice to use, but I might anyway, a jar of Pineapple Habanero jelly that is going to be a treat later with football, some of that really good spiced tea mix that she makes, an adorable ladybug windchime and a super fabric covered journal. I think I may use the journal for zentangle work since the paper in it is nice for that.

Thank you my dear. Got the windchime hanging in the plant room in the garage for the winter. Then I will put it outside my office window in the Spring.

Pely had to check it out too. :0)

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2011
9:38 AM

Post #8850968

Wow ... you got a lot of kewl things there, Neener. Nice birthday indeed! Luv the saying on that towel. :-D))) Ain't that the truth!

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2011
1:16 PM

Post #8851292

OK, didn't I pack something else in that box??????? Or did it not make the trip intact?

Joy

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2011
1:17 PM

Post #8851295

I got plenty of doodads, I got to fix up Michelle a special box this week...glad you liked it ...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2011
1:20 PM

Post #8851299

Joy the Candied Jalepenos are disappearing out of that jar, so I know Hubby is liking them . Wonder can you put those moisture gels in with cacti????Or CC anyway...
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2011
1:25 PM

Post #8851305

Oh Joy... Didn't know if the wine was supposed to be shown to all. :0) Joy sent me 2 bottles of wine. One is my absolute favorite Texas red and the other is one to try. Sorry...:0)

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2011
1:28 PM

Post #8851308

The moisture gels are great in CC's. I would imagine it would work with regular cactus but you would really need to water infrequently to keep too much moisture from staying on the roots. Now that I think about it, I probably wouldn't use it with them. I have even put them in the ground with a new transplant to help it through the tough transition.

Joy

Glad your hubby likes the candied jalapenos. They get addictive, especially on burgers.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8851318

What kind of wine??? Inquiring minds want to know. ^_^

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8851320

No problem, I always live in fear that I will not pack something well enough and it will break.
Dave likes the "new" red as much as your favorite, and it is TX as well.

Joy

Who is desperately trying to find her Guinness cupcake recipe with Baileys frosting.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 16, 2011
2:20 PM

Post #8851384

Cute!!! Turned out to be a super birthday after all. So glad Neener. :)
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8851495

Carole they are both sweet red wines. I don't do dry at all try as I might to like them.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8851509

Evening everyone!

Neener, I'm so glad you came home to lots of neat goodies. Have you had a chance to snuggle with your big boy yet?

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8851588

Carole, I brought one of these wines to Neener when I visited a year ago, and we have since that time tried to get her some but our little wineries don't have a license to ship out of state. One is made in Llano, TX and is Llano Sweet Red, the other I believe is St. Genivieve Sweet Red out of Fort Stockton. Texas has quite a few wineries, many not far from my farm, much to my husband's delight. Messina Hauf might be big enough to be in other states, it has won quite a few competitions with various wines.

Joy
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 16, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8851711

Hi, all.
Had to sneak by to see what all Neener received :) Plus I needed a break... only so much you can remember at a time when learning something new.
Neener, sounds like you received some neat things :) Bet that ladybug windchime is pretty! What's the saying on the dish towel?
Well, I'm more awake again, now, so guess it's back to the Mac...
Have a great week, all!
Michelle
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2011
7:53 PM

Post #8851792

Michelle, It's a sunny yellow woven towel that says "Garden...A Thing of Beauty and a Job Forever" -- so true -- and is decorated with lots of daisies, a trowel, a buzzing bee, and has a green border near the bottom.

Enjoy your wine, Neener. The ones you have given me, Joy, were delicioso.

Hubby's going deer hunting again in the morning and he promised tomorrow afternoon he'll help me bring in the lighted plant stand so I can finally finish bringing in the tenders well ahead of frost. Carole, ours typically doesn't hit til around Halloween, but last year our first one wasn't til around mid-November. Global warming? If we're lucky, snow won't fly til December or January. Gotta watch out for the Noreasters when we really get socked. I sure do dread the long gray days of Winter.

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2011
9:03 AM

Post #8852476

Been snuggling with the Pye at night. He and Pely both were up on the bed the last 2 nights purring up a storm.

Just got back from some needed errands and I feel like crap. I think there has just been too much stress of one kind or another. My mind and body have had it right now. Vacation?? Was I just on vacation?? :0) Still trying to get my Halloween cards finished. Would really like to get them in the mail this week. Leaves are falling and the remaining annuals outside are ready to be yanked now. Yeesh i'm whining again. Seem to be getting good at that lately. :0)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 17, 2011
9:09 AM

Post #8852486

Neener - it is a stress reducer to spend time with cuddling with your kitties... Take a nice nap with them - I love napping with my kitties.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2011

Post #8853136

Carolyn I hear ya! Had a giggle this morning as I was making the bed. My Mom hadn't left for home yet and I think she was pretty sure I was having a breakdown. Pely loves to help make the bed. Her idea of help is to jump on the spread every time I try to pull it up. Once I get it up then she has to hide behind the pillows and reach out to grab me like I don't know she is there. Best minutes of the day!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8853235

I do too, Carolyn. Max is the only one of our kitties allowed inside when it gets cold. Of course that's not my rule and rules are made to be broken.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 18, 2011
5:03 AM

Post #8853699

I totally agree - some rules are made to be broken.

My girlfriend's husband told her that either the cats go or he was going. She told him the cats were staying ^_^. I still think that is hysterical. They joke about it now.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2011
7:04 AM

Post #8853858

Oh Carolyn that is so adorable. Very rarely will my two cuddle together. They used to when they were first together, but Pye kinds of sprawls out and she would rather move than adjust. :0)

Elfie I forgot to thank you for my cool card! What a ditz I am. Sorry about that. I was looking at my birthday cards this morning and realized what I had done. Thank you my dear!!

DH is still on vacation this week, so we are going to do a bit of outside work and then relax the rest of the day. A least he is anyway. I still need to cook and be domestic.

Have a vondervul day...
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 18, 2011
7:39 AM

Post #8853903

Oh Neener - I like to cook and be domestic too!

Unfortunately they make me come to this place from 7-3:30 M-F ^_^

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 18, 2011
9:30 AM

Post #8854031

You are welcome Neener. I know it was not much,, but I will do better next year ;o)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8854689

Love your kitties, Carolyn! How old are they?

Well I totally screwed up and had my Yorkie's appointment card taped on my calendar for Thursday, but he was supposed to be there this morning. I called as soon as I realized my mistake, got VM, left a message, and hope she can work him in soon. She is the sweetest lady besides being a dog lover and stays ultra busy. Dang it! I've never missed an appointment. Since last year, he's gained an inch in his chest and I'd already put a bag of his clothes in the car to give her for other doggies.

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 19, 2011
12:30 AM

Post #8854945

Hi, all.
Elfie, thanks for the Halloween/Birthday card :) Has a picture of a Jack-o'-lantern filled with yummy goodies on the front.
Fruity, thanks for the description of the gardening towel. Sounds lovely! Love the saying, too :)
Neener, I love the cat story :) Love the way our furry friends help! They can certainly be entertaining :) Take care of yourself, and give the cats some extra pets for me!
Well, learning the Mac is going a bit slower than I hoped. But it's coming along.
Have a great Wednesday, everyone!
Michelle

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2011
4:05 AM

Post #8855093

It rained all night, on and off, and the temperature plummeted. All tenders are inside now except for the plastic-covered rolling plant shelves of succulents that will come into the garage later today. It will be in the high 30s tonight and for three nights ... but in the 70s again by next week. Seems as if so many of the leaves have fallen just this week.

I luv those kitties. ♥♥♥

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 19, 2011
4:58 AM

Post #8855123

Sooz

One is 10 and the other is 12, then I have 2 year old black male and he is just full of it. Makes me laugh. I would take more, but unfortunately, DH would have a problem with that... Please post a pic of your Yorkie - bet he is a little cutie.

Our temps are supposed to plummet as well. I am wondering where the summer went. This weekend, the bog plants will be cut back and the watelilies pulled and cut back. I'll don't look forward to the end of ponding season as I love to have my coffee out on the deck with the fish on a hot summer morning!

Carole - Love your dahlias - which ones are they? They are stunning.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2011
6:45 AM

Post #8855241

Thanks, Carolyn. That's Dinnerplate Dahlia 'Akita'. My first year to grow it ... but it won't be the last year, that's for sure.

Coffee by a pond sounds so inviting. Last weekend a friend and I toured the gardens of a retired Hort. professor/MG and he had a pond. But it was so green and slimy you couldn't see anything. He said the pump kept getting plugged. I thought to myself, that's not surprising. lol. But the rest of the place was fabulous and so interesting ... 40 years of gardening there. So many interesting things and large specimens. Also yard art he made that's to die for (if you are a fan of it like I am). Here's one example of his work...

The title of this piece is "Old Friends Hang Around".

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 19, 2011
6:54 AM

Post #8855259

Very nice!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 19, 2011
7:18 AM

Post #8855296

Carole

I have to put Akita on my list - isn't Akita a dog too?

You're correct - no wonder his pumps kept getting clogged...

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2011
8:03 AM

Post #8855356

Yes, a dog breed too. I will say that this flower turned out quite a bit more colorful than the picture on the package I bought.

Thought you'd like that yard art, Charlene. ^_^

Here's another of his pieces. They were all fairly large although you can't tell the scale too well on this.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 19, 2011
8:32 AM

Post #8855408

Wow!!! That is great too! Got a lot of time and pots and wonderful clutter on hand, doesn't he????

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2011
8:47 AM

Post #8855434

Retired and knows how to weld. He still lives on the old family farmland of many acres with lots of rusty wheels, old machinery, old buildings and barn wood and the like ... and saves just about everything for reuse. Or so it appeared. ♥

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 19, 2011
8:52 AM

Post #8855444

He has quite an imagination. Wish I could do that.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2011
9:19 AM

Post #8855481

Ditto.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8856127

His yard art is awesome! Having imagination and creativity like that must be a wonderful thing.

Here's our little beast on his 4th birthday. I know I have a main folder somewhere on my drive for him but couldn't locate it, only found the one of birthday pics. He'll be 6 in November.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 19, 2011
4:04 PM

Post #8856157

He is so beautiful. Love him.
got a birthday present today from Faye. Her computer is down. But she sent me one of those molds that makes a head. I love it, I'll try to get it loaded.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 19, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8856348

He's a little cutie!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8857414

He's a beasty boy.

You'll love that mold, Char. It sounds like it's right up your alley. Do you use concrete or plaster?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 20, 2011
4:47 PM

Post #8857487

Concrete. yes, I love it.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2011
4:53 PM

Post #8857496

Chi chi chi Chia...lol
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 20, 2011
10:40 PM

Post #8857767

Hi, all.
My guide dog celebrated his 7th birthday today :) He thinks we found a great way to celebrate it, too! We went with the Blind Center on an outing to the Emma Prusch Farm Park. It's the only working farm left in San Jose. But it's also a park, complete with picnic tables and children's playgrounds (including some old tractors that they've converted to climbing structures).
We saw a pot-bellied pig, chickens (several breeds), a rooster, a Guinea hen, ducks, peacocks, geese (who've adopted the farm for the free food), a turkey, some goats, and sheep.
My dog snuck a sniff of the pot-bellied pig while I was petting the pig (til I noticed he had stuck his nose through the fence and had him back up a little). Later, when the pig decided to make a break for it and headed out of his enclosure, the pig and my dog sniffed noses.
After getting the pig back in his yard, we went over to where most of the foul were. Although some of the chickens were in a smaller enclosure, most were in a larger fenced area, just roaming around. Our tour guide got the chicken we petted from the smaller enclosure, but we were all standing in the larger area while we petted her. My dog thought this was absolutely wonderful! While I petted the chicken, he had fun watching all the birds roaming around! We were told that the geese aren't officially part of the farm, but they hang around because they've figured out that there's free food. Such a deal!
We then petted a goat. We were going to pet some of the smaller ones, but our tour guide was having trouble catching them. So we got to pet one of the larger ones. We went in the fenced area where the goat was. We had my dog stay back a bit, but he had fun watching the goat we petted. While I was petting the goat, the goat jumped up so its front hooves were on the fence. It really wanted to get to the food that our tour guide had! She finally got the food down to the ground in front of the goat, so the goat got back down off the fence. When we were ready to leave the enclosure, the goat didn't want to move from in front of the gate. Our tour guide had to distract it by putting the bucket of food on the other side of the fence a little ways from the gate. Then the goat stuck its head through the fence to get to the food and busied itself with eating the food while we headed out of its yard!
We then petted and fed the sheep. When the sheep first came over to the fence to see us, my dog and one of the sheep stuck their noses through the fence that separated us to sniff noses. We then had my dog back up a little so he wasn't right by the fence. We think the sheep decided they weren't very fond of the dog, though, because they then began to stamp their feet at him. But he didn't mind. He just thought it was really cool to get to see them!
Then we hung out and had a picnic. My dog enjoyed that, too, because while we were eating, he had fun watching some chickens and the rooster wandering around the picnic area. That, and he just enjoys being outdoors. And, when we got home, he had lots of fun running around playing with his toys :) Quite a nice day for us all!
Michelle

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2011
5:22 AM

Post #8857903

Sounds like a whole lot of fun, Michelle. Good for you. Wow, didn't realize all the farms are gone in San Jose. :(

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2011
6:12 AM

Post #8857969

Wonderful Girl. What a birthday trip. Sounds like you really enjoyed it.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 21, 2011
6:55 AM

Post #8858017

Michelle,, I would have loved to have seen your dog enjoying his day. My poor cat is paranoid, he will not get near any other animals. Silly cat...

Char. love the face mold kit.. looks like lots of fun. I have finally started playing with all the polymer clay I bought and have had a blast!! There are some excellent sites online that give free tutorials. I would be glad to send you some of the links I have found. It is a great craft to have in a tiny RV that is for sure!! Here is a picture of my tiny work area,, yes it is a mess. I am trying to figure a better way to organize it.

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2011
10:56 AM

Post #8858230

Look what I made this morning.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 21, 2011
11:12 AM

Post #8858248

WOW!! very nice!!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2011
12:12 PM

Post #8858351

That's cool! ^_^

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2011
12:29 PM

Post #8858359

Lot of sculpting in there and I haven't even had lessons. Durn I love that clay...That is dimensional too. It takes me a while to make ME happy with it, but that isn't too bad for a greenhorn is it????

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2011
1:17 PM

Post #8858401

Not at all. ^_^

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 21, 2011
1:24 PM

Post #8858409

That is much better than anything I can do,,,sigh.. All I have to show is this... do not pay any attention to the dates every time I recharge my battery on the camera it resets the time.. I get tired of fixing it...lol

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2011
1:36 PM

Post #8858427

Well, those are cute too. :-)

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2011
2:27 PM

Post #8858490

Those are cute as can be. Your own Pumpkin patch with scarey fella. Love it!!!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2011
3:54 PM

Post #8858544

Michelle, that sounds like a perfect day and am so glad you enjoyed yourself! My doggie would have been right there with yours, sniffing critters, although maybe not 'nose to nose' lol
He only weighs 7 pounds but has a big dog attitude. A girlfriend and I went down to my mail lady's farm a few weeks ago, didn't know how Mickey would react to free-ranging goats and turkeys an chickens so he stayed home.

Cute, cute punkins and lots of work and imagination in the Alaskan dog, Char.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2011

Post #8858560

No, Honey, I had a picture to go by. Can't do anything it seems without a picture to guide me thru...
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8858569

I wouldn't be able to do it with a picture.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8858604

Good work there Char and Elfie!

Don't forget that Michelle's birthday is coming up here at the end of the month. I got her card finished today, so now I am finally good to go. Then we are clear until December!!
Sooz give Mickey a snuggle for me. He is just the cutest.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 22, 2011
9:04 AM

Post #8859167

Char - You are so talented. I could never do that, even with a picture. I always wanted to be talented either musically or artistically, but missed the boat in both of those areas...

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8859249

Hey Everyone Taters55 / Lk / Linda has entered a contest on FB. Please go like her entry so she has a good chance to win!!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2557168136643&set=o.1...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 22, 2011
11:04 AM

Post #8859262

Me tpp Carolyn, boat is sinking. ☺
do you "like" it? That is what I did...
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 22, 2011
2:03 PM

Post #8859379

Hi, all.
Stopping by to say "Hi!" :)
The buds at the top of the first tuberose to bloom have been open a couple days now, and the other stalk is blooming more now, too. They still smell wonderful! Lovely day out today :)
Hope you all have a great weekend!
Michelle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 22, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8859455

Char - I did 'like' it.

the whole concept is really cute.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8859483

Did I miss the sinking boat, Char? lol

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 23, 2011
6:10 AM

Post #8859954

I hope so. No one needs a sinking boat! Unl;ess you use it to plant flowers...

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 23, 2011
8:34 AM

Post #8860147

uhhh, what sinking boat did I miss this time????

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 23, 2011
10:43 AM

Post #8860300

We back on dry land now Elf. Planting that boat with Petunias.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 23, 2011
4:06 PM

Post #8860643

I;m lost and I think I'll stay that way. :))
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 23, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8860740

LOL! I thought you meant to post a pic of a sinking boat up there you'd crafted from clay, Char. Boy, did I really miss the boat this time.

Been drooling over Dahlias online and think I'll order some tubers in the Spring and plant them where the Cannas used to be at the side of our garage. We pass by a lady's yard further North of us and know she leaves hers in the ground. I've lost so many Cannas trying to push the zone that I give up unless they're in pots.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 24, 2011
4:45 AM

Post #8861147

Oh, Fruity! Where are you looking at ordering dahlias? I would love to take a peak to see if there any I might be interested in.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2011
3:28 PM

Post #8861997

Swan Island is a good possibility. I ordered one of their catalogs (free) and it will be here in December. Think it'll be a bright way to pass a Winter's day.
www.dahlias.com

hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2011
8:24 PM

Post #8862430

Juanita, package is on way sorry so late. hope something like in it. Will get Michelle off next then dec. package..

Hello everyone , my brother was 79 he passed he lived in texas has daughter San antonio. one in killeen. could not go no safe vehicle or finances. so not been on feel so bad..
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2011
4:00 AM

Post #8862624

Oh Twyla. You poor dear thing. This has been another bad year for you. Please try to feel better. I'm sure your brother would understand. Now you have another angel to watch over you.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 25, 2011
6:21 AM

Post #8862784

Bless your heart dear Twyla. I'm sure he understands. Sending lots of Hugs and mule kisses to help make you feel better..
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 25, 2011
6:27 AM

Post #8862793

Sooze - I already get the Swan Island catalog - you won't be disappointed...
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2011
3:37 PM

Post #8863503

Twyla, I'm so sorry for your loss..and I agree, don't feel bad-your brother understands and he wouldn't have wanted you to take an unsafe trip.

I'm getting everybody caught up.. I truly am LOL.. hope to put it all in the mail tomorrow or Thursday at the latest! Geez, I'm such a procrastinator!
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8863515

Chris we love you though. :0) You've had a tough time this year as well and everyone understands.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8863569

(((Hugs, Twyla))) I'm sad you lost you brother and you weren't able to attend his services, but I'm sure he would understand. Remember him in life in better days and times.

According to the news folks, we're supposed to have a hard frost this week-end, so I cut a bunch of Dahlia blooms today, plopped them in vases and we are enjoying the blooms inside for their last hurrah. It sounds like you've ordered from Swan Island, Carolyn? Are there other companies you or others can recommend? The handful I have now either came in swaps or were for postage. I'm looking to kick up my collection a few notches next year.
irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2011
5:28 PM

Post #8863631

I'm going to start with the dahlia too. My dad always planted them and took care of them...he had his own little garden. I've dabbled in the border dahlias and will try larger ones next year. I plan to check out that website for Swan Island and will add a couple of larger bloom dahlia. If I can keep them altogether, I think I can deal with digging the tubers in the fall.

I would love to join the birthday card club please!

Thanks!

debbie
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8863671

My MIL is my inspiration, Debbie. Before she became home bound, her gardens were a beautiful sight to behold. Her fav flowers are still Dahlias and Irises and I try to remember to take her a bouquet of whatever I have blooming at the moment.

LoveForests

LoveForests
FU
United States
(Zone 9b)

October 25, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8863736

Juanita, you truley are an awesome person. What very thoughtful changes you made to the B-day club. You have a 'heart of gold'.

Hope you all are doing ok. Take care.

--Christina.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 25, 2011
8:12 PM

Post #8863857

Hi, all.
Twyla, keeping you in my prayers. And sending you a big hug.
I grew my first dahlias this summer. The only thing I'd change if I could would be to add fragrance :) Actually, one that I have seems to have some fragrance at times. Unfortunately, I don't know what kind it is as it came as part of a mix. Got these from Easy to Grow Bulbs. They had quite an assortment of dahlias last year. Haven't looked at their assortment this year, but I'd think they'd have a nice selection again. You can visit their site at: www.easytogrowbulbs.com
Spent some time gardening on Sunday. Finally cut off the dead foliage from my Marguerite Daisy. I was concerned that I lost this one from the time when I hadn't been watering much in late summer. But happily, I discovered that it's beginning to regrow! Also replenished soil in some of my containers and planted seeds for Nigella (Love in a Mist Persian Violet), fragrant Stock, and Cerinthe. While I was working out on the deck, I heard a hummingbird flying around... Really cool!
Take care, everyone, and have a great day tomorrow!
Michelle
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2011
5:37 AM

Post #8864165

Debbie I will add you in to the list. Just need your birthdate to do that.

Christine you are so sweet. Won't you come back to us now? :0)

Lucky me. My daily activities today include taking the trash to the landfill. People that have regular trash pick up don't know how lucky they are. :))

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2011
6:49 AM

Post #8864251

I love dahlias too. I have 2 that are growing at the other house. I need to dig up the bulbs and store them. I got one from DeeJay9 for my birthday a couple of years ago and swapped with someone to get 3 more but only 1 made it. I do love them though!!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 26, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8864292

Twyla -

I am so sorry about the loss of your brother. I cannot imagine your pain. Please know you are in my prayers.

Yes, I have dealt with Swan Island dalhias - they really are a wonderful company. I had heard from a DG friend that Corralito's is supposed to be great for dahlias as well. I know they have some that are stunning that I have not seen elsewhere - I have not ordered through them though.

I started dabbling in dahlias years ago. It is one of the great late season bloomers. Plus - there is nothing like a dinnerplate dahlia,.but I also have a soft spot for the little ones. Typically I have large pots of the smaller dahlias on my deck every summer.

I know I sent out a lot of dahlia divisions this past spring in the swaps - we could do dahlias again...^^_^^

This is Bonbini - I had this one years ago. Unfortunately, I did lose it. Love the color combo though.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2011
2:54 PM

Post #8864807

ooh that's a nice one, Carolyn. Corralitos has some stunners. Hard choices to make over the Winter regardless where I order.

Waving hi, Christina!

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8864867

WOW that flower will suck your eyeballs out of your head. Gorgeous!!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8864980

Neener,, please put back in your eyeballs...lol
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8865174

The Pom-Poms are among my favs and sorta make me feel like an old cheerleader that never made the cut.
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2011
7:45 PM

Post #8865239

Hello my dear longggggggggg lost friends. I had lost the thread! Imagine that, and imagine how much many more pages will be ahead of me if I read all this new thread.
Anyway, I have been looking for you, just not on a new thread. I have missed you all, and Nita, I did not forget your Birthday..please remember...and I will remember it again soon "at the cabin" You make such pretty cards, and I do love getting them. Susan, yeah, see you soon too.
Charleen I'm so glad you liked your gift.

Sad, bad news, my Son was burning trash late Sun. afternoon and a can exploded. His face is burned bad on the left side but thankfully it didn't harm his eyes. His left arm has 2nd & 3rd. degree burns from the top of his hand to the top of his shoulder. Right arm 2nd degree in the bend. The Dr's. at Chapel Hill Burn Center said surgery was depending on the healing in 1 week. My precious handsome 47 yr. old baby hurts bad. Please pray for him.
Love & hugs to all
Faye
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 26, 2011
8:54 PM

Post #8865296

Hi, all.
Oh, Faye, I'm so sorry to hear about your son. I'll definitely be praying for his recovery!
Debbie, WELCOME! So glad you can join us :)
Christine, yes, do join us if you can! And, even if you can't, do come by from time to time. It's good hearing from you :)
Been having fun getting cards and packages this week :) Received a crad from my mother-in-law on Monday, a card from my mom yesterday, and two packages today, one from my sister-in-law and one from Neener (I think). My husband had to go somewhere right after I got home today, so will have to have him read the card when he gets home. Will post more tonight or tomorrow (hopefully with pics).
Take care, and have a wonderful day :)
Michelle

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2011
3:00 AM

Post #8865398

Faye, so thankful he didn't lose his sight. What a terribly frightening thing to happen. I will pray.

Hi Debbie, nice to see you again.

^_^

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 27, 2011
4:25 AM

Post #8865429

Faye

Thank God above it wasn't worse! He walked away from the fire with both his sight and his life. Please know he is in my prayers...
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2011
4:55 AM

Post #8865438

Heavens Faye don't you be thinking about my birthday. You already took care of that in the Spring with my little froggies. Take care of your son and Ray and I will see you in a few weeks.

Hugs,
Neener

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 27, 2011
6:00 AM

Post #8865522

Hugs and prayers and Mule kisses Faye. Hope he gets the operation and everything comes out wonderful.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2011
8:16 AM

Post #8865703

Faye,, so sorry to hear about you son. I am sending very very gentle hugs for him,,,
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2011
1:57 PM

Post #8866067

(((Faye))) As bad as it sounds, your son had angels watching over him.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8866114

On a happier note I got a nice envelope today from Twyla. Lots of useful things. Some warm gloves, a pair of gardening gloves, a sunflower potholder and dish towel (no Frooty you can't have them :0) , a photo wallet and a date book.

Thank you so much Twyla. I know how hard it is for you to get out to do these things. I appreciate you and all you sent.

Been another one of "those" days here. Came upstairs when DH got home about 3:15. Went to the bathroom and realized that we didn't have any water. No water in the holding tank. Breakers good. Knew we needed a pump. Been 22 years since it was replaced. Called them up and bingo, all is fixed. Now I'm just flushing out the system. Sure didn't take very long to spend 1700.00. OY!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2011
3:09 PM

Post #8866148

Oh the joys of home ownership. Been there, done that with our well pump too...twice. Both times were within a couple of years of each other after we bought our house almost 18 years ago. The first "fix" was with a cheap pump and learned our lesson on the second one.

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8866409

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for all your prayers for my Son Scott. He has had another bad day. His face is so burned that the smell is awful. At first he thought his face was rotting, he had no idea how burned flesh smelled. My heart hurts so bad for him.
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2011
7:00 PM

Post #8866416

Michelle I hope your Birthday tomorrow will be just as special as you are. Gift coming soon.
Happy Birthday to you.
Faye
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2011
4:34 AM

Post #8866647

Happy Birthday Michelle!! I hope you have a wonderful day doing something fun that you like to do.

Just realized that I didn't post a picture of my goodies from Twyla. I was a little distracted. :0)

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2011
8:42 AM

Post #8866914

Happy Birthday Michelle!!

Faye. I sure wish I had some magic fairy powder to make him feel better...

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2011
9:48 AM

Post #8866975

Have a lovely day, Michelle. :)

A.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2011
11:06 AM

Post #8867047

Happy Birthday, Michelle! Hope it's a good one and begins another beautiful year for you.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2011
12:32 PM

Post #8867096

Happy birthday to you Girl...♪♫

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2011
2:30 PM

Post #8867230

Happy, Happy Birthday, Michelle ... and many more. ^_^
momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2011
4:16 PM

Post #8867347

Happy Birthday Michelle! Just got heat in the house yesterday. Just in time for a hard frost.
Fruit, I did get the seeds you sent. thank you. Still working on the house. Anna's 5th birthday was yesterday. talk to you all later.

Erin
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8867412

Good for you, Erin. One of the towns about an hour North of us had a bit of sleet today and another had flurries. We've just having a cold rain which suits me fine.

Anybody else having a Wintry mix? What's it doing up your way, Neener?
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 28, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8867503

Hi, all.
Thanks for the birthday wishes :) Been a nice day so far... no rain (yay!), lots of sun (woohoo!). Discovered that my paperwhites are already sending flower stalks up, and one of the buds is already open! :) And still have tuberose blooms, too :)
I was hoping to grow some Amethyst Calla Lilies, but sadly, they never grew. But the company where I got them is going to replace them. We decided to replace them with some fall-planted callas as these are easier to grow. The spring-planted ones are very picky about not getting too much water. Would have been neat to have the Amethyst ones grow (color sounded beautiful), but I decided to have the fall-planted ones sent instead because they're fragrant. So that will be cool! And I think I have a partially shaded place for them on the deck.
Ah, much excitement... San Jose Sharks just won!!! Also been having fun listening to a good hockey game :)
Michelle
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 28, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8867532

Hi, again.
Erin, glad you got the heat on in time for the cold! Stay safe with that wintry weather.
The envelope I received the other day was indeed from Neener :)
Neener, that's a really cool card! It has several flowers that I can feel. And the border is made with a fuzzy material that forms leaves, flowers, and vines all over the back, too. Here's a link to a picture of the front of the card:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-iNB9WNpBoBY/Tqse5KRsU3I/AAAAAAAAFXg/ZiEBvbCxCWk/s640/IMG_20111028_142942.jpg
And she also sent a neat wooden butterfly plant poke. Here's a URL to see a pic of it:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-RE4g0O3FH0E/TqsfJ6OO_dI/AAAAAAAAFXk/3HdYHOM7Njs/s640/IMG_20111028_143052.jpg
The scape in the background is an amaryllis scape. This Amaryllis is called Amy Maguire. Here's a URL to see what this flower looks like:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/--X3Ym6HKbfg/TqYDh-8ePsI/AAAAAAAAFX4/jwtd10387mY/s640/IMG_20111024_173119.jpg
Still neat to work on putting the photos directly onto the site, but hope this works for people for now.
Michelle

This message was edited Oct 28, 2011 7:47 PM

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2011
2:18 AM

Post #8867698

No wintry-mix here but down around freezing last night. I'm sure there's a first hard frost out there this morning but too dark to see yet. It will warm through the week though with night temps out of the 30s all week and daytime temps looking pretty good.

Everyone have a swell weekend. ^_^
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 29, 2011
5:57 AM

Post #8867783

Happy birthday Michelle! Hope your day was wonderful!!
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2011
6:47 AM

Post #8867821

I made that card special for you Michelle so there would be a lot of texture. I tried to get texture on the card, the background and the front.

Frootz it is snowing like H*** here right now. Rained hard all night. 4-6 predicted. Seems to be melting pretty fast though since the ground is still warm. Should be an interesting day. Hope I don't have to fire up the generator.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2011
8:33 AM

Post #8867919

Well that's screwed up Neener. Better you than me though (w/the snow). Sun just came thru for a minute, but temps dipped pretty low into the 30s overnight. Wet, but not raining right now. Busy sorting my seeds for my mad new hobby - seed trading. :D

A.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2011
9:45 AM

Post #8868003

Still snowing...

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2011
9:45 AM

Post #8868005

Still sick,,,sigh...
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2011
9:47 AM

Post #8868009

Elfie you better get to the Dr. Sounds like some kind of an infection to me.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2011
10:29 AM

Post #8868066

Yep, hard frost. Will have some piles of mushy plants soon.

Get well, all, and stay warm.
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 29, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8868323

Faye, I'm sure sending up alot of prayers for your son..he was so very lucky! Goodness..hope he mends quickly.

Ok, please someone-- explain to me what the heck I was thinking?? I live in a 3rd floor apartment with a wonderful 9 ft balcony-that's all well and good. But why, oh why, did I decide that I just HAD to have 100 dwarf iris bulbs from Bleek??? LOL... yep, they arrived today along with the 50 Darwin tulip bulbs I also ordered (those I have plans for, cause my good friend Freedia who lost her husband Dean this past June- he loved tulips, so I'm going to Okla in the spring to plant these for her in his memory)
I want to grow some of the iris in containers.. but 100??? LOL!!

Think I'm going to call up an old boyfriend and see if I can plant them out at his farm.. I planted cannas out there this past summer LOL.. he called me the other night and said he dug all of them up for me. Wasn't that sweet of him? Then he said that he would keep them in his basement till next spring ..little does he realize that (1) I'm going to replant them at the farm again and (2), it looks like they'll be joined by at least 95 dwarf iris ..

I'm cracking myself up here!! ^_^

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2011
3:31 PM

Post #8868343

It's an addiction ... oh yah it is. ^_^

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 29, 2011
3:42 PM

Post #8868355

Lord, amerci!!!! What have you got yourself into???
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2011
5:26 PM

Post #8868471

If you want blooms from your bulbs next Spring, they need to be planted soon so they get their adequate cold period before "waking up" next year. 25 or more bulbs planted in pots and set out on your balcony would safe space and make a stunning show next Spring. That way you could just pick up the pots of Tulips and take them to your friend. True, their blooms might be spent by the time you get there, but they would bloom for her the following Spring without having to disturb the pots and replant the bulbs next Fall in her garden, unless she just wanted to. I ordered "a few" Dutch Iris bulbs from Bleek too...lol We should have compared notes :0)

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2011
5:52 PM

Post #8868503

Chris - sounds like a nice ex-boyfriend. Might want to keep him around in case you need some extra planting space. :P

A.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2011
3:36 AM

Post #8868787

Ugh, looks like your snow is all over the NE, Neener. I hope everyone here is okay and still has power. What a mess ... and so early in the year. We've had freezing temps the past two nights ... our first hard freezes this year. Little piles of mush where flowers once bloomed ... sigh!
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2011
5:57 AM

Post #8868861

Oh yeah it's been interesting. Looking out at fall leaves covered in snow and now frozen to the ground. I most everything taken up, but this kind of caught me unawares so there will be a mess to clean up when it melts. Talking with my Mom right now because they had it a lot worse there and she has limbs down all over the yard. Looks like I will be traveling up there tomorrow chain saw in hand.

Chris you are too funny. I've done the same thing and then said to myself :What the H** were you thinking?!?

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2011
5:59 AM

Post #8868864

Mom just sent me this. Sort of sums it up. :0)))))

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2011
6:25 AM

Post #8868892

Have mercy!! :(
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2011
7:26 AM

Post #8868968

Fruity, wouldn't the bulbs freeze though? I'm in zone 5 now.. or are you saying to leave them in the pots on the balcony for a little while only? And are you talking just the tulips and not the iris?

Definitely should have compared notes! Guaranteed we will next time LOL..

Neener, so sorry for all the snow... but Girl, just glad it's YOU and not ME! ^_^ My time will come soon and it can wait as long as it wants to!!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2011
9:31 AM

Post #8869137

Nothing normal about that scene, Neener. Sure hope this blast isn't a sign of times to come.

See if this helps, Chris:
http://touchofnature.com/frequently_asked_questions.htm
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2011
11:12 AM

Post #8869250

I'm hoping I can still plant my Belladonna lilies and Lycoris that came on Thursday. It's melting here except for the where the leaves are.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 30, 2011
3:11 PM

Post #8869492

no snow on the pond... pretty leaves though,,,
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2011
3:20 PM

Post #8869502

Gardenquail,, wait wait lol i have not forgot you mailing this week/

forgive me so late everyone can tell you never done this till this half of 2011.. sorry.

And i was so tickled i got a birthday box all ready so will have nice one this yr. to. so nice to get presents. so old i sound like a baby i think all yrs yrs. never did for any occasion. Charleen get camera working will post please give charlie a big hug kiss from me..

everyone things are rough here.. sorry not been on much.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8869543

Take care of yourself, Twyla!

How's your son doing, Faye? Any better?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 30, 2011
4:06 PM

Post #8869578

Twyla send me some beautiful Irredescent beans, gold beads, Gloves ,a Flag and a cute little keychain worm and a datebook.
Here is picture, I meant to post earlier but have been plying with mt clay. I hope you can forgive me Twyla for being so late.
Charley wants me to tell you he sends you lots of Soft mule nuzzles of love.
" Please don't worry, Auntie Twyla, Mama will say Donkey Prayers and things will get better., You know Donkey's got connection to God, They carry a cross on their back. Loves and nuzzles Auntie Twyla"
Charley the mule and his Mama...

This message was edited Oct 30, 2011 6:07 PM

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2011
4:42 PM

Post #8869607

The beads are perfect for your jewelry-making, Char.
What a beautiful package full of thoughtful gifts, Twyla.

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 30, 2011
9:22 PM

Post #8869892

Hi, all.
Twyla, no worries. You can send it along when you are able to :) I just get to celebrate my birthday a bit longer :)
Neener, you did a great job making the card tactile. Thanks!
Chris, I think you got the fall gardening bug... you know, the one that makes you want to buy all those cool things out there to grow? Definitely want to stay on good terms with your ex :) Just think of all the things I could plant if I had farm land! :)
Elfie, hope you are feeling better soon.
And to all who have gotten snow and/or freezing cold temps... Stay warm and safe!
I haven't quite learned all that I need to learn to put pictures directly in my messages yet. So, until I do, did the links to the pictures in my last message work for people?
Take care, everyone, and have a great week.
Michelle
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2011
4:30 AM

Post #8870020

Glad to see everyone here this morning. Hoping for some melting today. Not much snow out there, but the leaves that hadn't been raked yet (millions of those here) are holding all the frozen stuff on them. Guess I could just shovel them instead of rake them huh?

Was headed up to Mom's to do some clean up, but they had a lot more snow and it hasn't melted enough yet, Warmer today and tomorrow, so I'm shooting for Wed. Nothing worse than having an electric chain saw (the only kind anyone will let me use) and having to string cords through the snow. :0)

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2011
5:51 AM

Post #8870123

LOL ... electric Sawzall here. I dare not try the big 'ol gas chain saws. I'm dangerous enough as it is. Where does your mother live?

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2011
6:01 AM

Post #8870135

Oh dear Lord thank you for sparing me the snow.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8870257

I have no snow and even my plants I forgot to bring in are ok,, weird huh. Cause I swear it is colder in the RV that out!! But fog on the pond every morning is a real treat. I feel great right now,, a tiny tickle in my throat is all really.

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2011
9:30 AM

Post #8870432

Carole Mom lives in PA. About an hour and a half from me here. Not a bad drive, just a monotonous one. :0)

Been an interesting morning. Just got off the phone with a piano company about coming to take away our old player piano. I've tried selling it off and on for years and can't give it away. It has to go before the kitchen and bathroom renovations happen. I hate having to pay someone to take this out of here because I have a feeling I'm not going to like the price. They will call me back shortly.

Then I decided to make a hard decision and change vets so i'm trying to sort that out right now. The vet we've used forever retired and sold her practice a few years ago. The new young guys are OK, but then they got this brilliant idea to move the office from a single use location to a strip mall with a bad neighborhood around it. The parking and the traffic are not conducive to moving pets around. Makes me nuts. I hate change the older I get. :0)

Finished this piece this morning. My DH wanted me to make a collage with things from our recent vacation. I had to get my little funny play on words in there as usual.

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2011
11:10 AM

Post #8870559

Oh, that's really clever. Is it all on artist canvas or ? Great play on words. What made you think of it?

For some reason I thought your mom lived at least a couple hundred miles from you. Don't know why I thought that.

Glad your feeling better, Elfe. ^_^

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2011
11:23 AM

Post #8870574

[quote="rvnsbrk"]Carole Mom lives in PA. About an hour and a half from me here. Not a bad drive, just a monotonous one. :0)

Been an interesting morning. Just got off the phone with a piano company about coming to take away our old player piano. I've tried selling it off and on for years and can't give it away. It has to go before the kitchen and bathroom renovations happen. I hate having to pay someone to take this out of here because I have a feeling I'm not going to like the price. They will call me back shortly.

Then I decided to make a hard decision and change vets so i'm trying to sort that out right now. The vet we've used forever retired and sold her practice a few years ago. The new young guys are OK, but then they got this brilliant idea to move the office from a single use location to a strip mall with a bad neighborhood around it. The parking and the traffic are not conducive to moving pets around. Makes me nuts. I hate change the older I get. :0)

Finished this piece this morning. My DH wanted me to make a collage with things from our recent vacation. I had to get my little funny play on words in there as usual. [/quote]

MINE
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2011
11:38 AM

Post #8870588

LOL!! Elfie you are too funny.

Carole it is made on an 8 x 10 canvas. Going to try some other ideas this winter. I like the canvas background and the way I can blend the colors on there.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2011
12:54 PM

Post #8870660

That's a good idea for mounting collages and being able to paint the backgrounds. I will remember that. Been thinking about getting back into doing collage work this winter.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8870756

Oh Carole don't do it.. :)) It is addicting. There is so much digital media out there to draw from. The vintage collage sheets alone are mind boggling. I love it though. Mostly because there's really no wrong way to do it.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2011
1:54 PM

Post #8870774

LOL ... thanks for the warning. I am already addicted to so many things. I never used to think I had an addictive type personality, but I could be wrong about that. :-D))) I used to do collage work but haven't for quite awhile. I think I hear it calling my name.

Yes, that's a big appeal for me too. No wrong way so can't hardly mess it up.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8871110

The beach, any beach, is calling my name. I hadn't thought about making collages since college days. You're so talented, Neener, with any medium you choose.
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2011
8:06 PM

Post #8871248

Hello all, the update on my son, Scott's face is looking much better, still bad but better. His arm still hurts so much sometimes that it's hard for him to be still. His right arm is bad too but he said the left arm is so much worse that he doesn't think of his right arm. We went to see him again Sunday and found out that on Sat. his hand was so swollen that he couldn't close his fingers at all. They called the burn center, were told to come, they went and sat in a waiting room for 1 and 1/2 hrs. Never did a Dr. come in so they just went back home.
Michelle, your gift will be in tomorrows mail. Sorry it's late.

Sorry about all the snow and glad we didn't get it. we did have freezing so I had to cut down my Angel Trumpets and they were finally beautiful, full blooms. Just when my girls listened and kept their leaves on, I whack them up.My house and garage smell so good now.
Here is one, Cassie's Curl, after she has been cut off at her ankles. So sad!
Hugs

Thumbnail by dahtzu

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2011
3:26 AM

Post #8871476

Dahtzu, glad to hear he is progressing, but I know that must be terribly painful. Good grief about the the hospital visit?!? :(

Neener, I would really appreciate a new thread although this one is loading pretty good so far. ^_^
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2011
6:58 AM

Post #8871652

Carole your wish is my command!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1228009/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America