CLOSED: Birthday Club Cards Only Please Join Us!

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

After much consideration I have decided to go ahead and change the way the Birthday Club works. I think in deference to the economic times we are in I am going to change this from a gifting kind of thing to CARDS ONLY. This change will go into effect starting in January 2012. I think that is the most fair way to do it so that the people at the end of this year who have played along nicely all year will still get their gifts from everyone.

So everyone that has a birthday starting in January will get a card from each of us in the birthday club sometime the month of their birthday. It is really a lot of fun to get snail mail these days anyway since we all live in such an electronic world. If you are so inclined to want to include a pack of seeds or something flat in with the card that is strictly up to you and should not in anyway be expected by the birthday girl.

I am hoping that this will encourage some of the people that have left us and some that would like to join, but are unemployed, to jump in and make this grow. Just think about getting 10 or 20 or 30 cards in your birthday month! So spread the word far and wide and lets see if we can make some new friends and have a sort of old fashioned pen pal arrangement.

We still want to chat and joke and know what is going on in everyone's life just like before, but at least this should remove the financial burden for a lot of people. Organized people can even get all their cards at the beginning of the year and get them all set up to go during those slow winter months.

Thanks a bunch to all of you for hanging in there and trying to make this work. I don't want it to go by the wayside. I have left the likes and dislikes lists attached for any new members that come on board as well as us old folks to look at so that we can send that extra special card. Everyone has special interests and we should remind ourselves of them now and then.

Current Members:

Rouxcrew (Joy) Jan. 15 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8142063
Irisluvr0252 (Debbie) Feb. 25
ClanCampbell (Chris) Feb.28 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8057458
Carolyn22 (Carolyn) April 3
AmandaEsq (Amanda) April 6
FruitoftheVine- (Susan) April 9 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7958412
momoftwo607 (Erin) May 6 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7885884
Crit (Patti) May 10 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8217784
Mud_Elf (Kris) May 10
GAgirl1066 (Paula) Sept. 1 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8039522
Ridesredmule (Charlene) Oct. 1 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7896427
Rvnsbrk - (Juanita) Oct 9 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7886786
GardenQuail (Michelle) October 28 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8242576
Cville_Gardener (Carole) Nov. 30 Effective on 1/2012
Dahtzu (Faye) December 25
Hope43 (Hope) Dec. 28 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8005430

This message was edited Oct 26, 2011 12:12 PM

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Okey Dokey!! Hope everyone follows along now.

I have pictures of goodies!!! First it my fun box from Michelle and her guide dog. Loved the card! My picture is a little out of focus, but so was I last night after a long drive home. She sent me a beautiful crocheted poppy flower and a little vase to sit it in. So pretty!!!

Thanks Michelle!! You're the next birthday in line too!!

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Next up is Charlene. WOW what a fun time I had opening all the little clay critters and Charlies. There were so many things in this box I know I will forget something. There was a turtle, a 3 piece dragon, an angel, a southwestern skull, a smaller dragon, a spider, a pansy necklace, a pot holder, a scrubbie, one of those neck things that you can make wet and use in the summer, 2 Charleys and probably some other things yet that I forgot.. Oh yes, some jewelry as well. Sorry for the busy background, but the chaise was a handy place to lay it all out.

Love it all Char!! Thanks!

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Then there is the fabulous goodies from Joy! A pretty dish towel that is too nice to use, but I might anyway, a jar of Pineapple Habanero jelly that is going to be a treat later with football, some of that really good spiced tea mix that she makes, an adorable ladybug windchime and a super fabric covered journal. I think I may use the journal for zentangle work since the paper in it is nice for that.

Thank you my dear. Got the windchime hanging in the plant room in the garage for the winter. Then I will put it outside my office window in the Spring.

Pely had to check it out too. :0)

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Wow ... you got a lot of kewl things there, Neener. Nice birthday indeed! Luv the saying on that towel. :-D))) Ain't that the truth!

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

OK, didn't I pack something else in that box??????? Or did it not make the trip intact?

Joy

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

I got plenty of doodads, I got to fix up Michelle a special box this week...glad you liked it ....

Joy the Candied Jalepenos are disappearing out of that jar, so I know Hubby is liking them . Wonder can you put those moisture gels in with cacti????Or CC anyway....

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh Joy... Didn't know if the wine was supposed to be shown to all. :0) Joy sent me 2 bottles of wine. One is my absolute favorite Texas red and the other is one to try. Sorry...:0)

The moisture gels are great in CC's. I would imagine it would work with regular cactus but you would really need to water infrequently to keep too much moisture from staying on the roots. Now that I think about it, I probably wouldn't use it with them. I have even put them in the ground with a new transplant to help it through the tough transition.

Joy

Glad your hubby likes the candied jalapenos. They get addictive, especially on burgers.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

What kind of wine??? Inquiring minds want to know. ^_^

No problem, I always live in fear that I will not pack something well enough and it will break.
Dave likes the "new" red as much as your favorite, and it is TX as well.

Joy

Who is desperately trying to find her Guinness cupcake recipe with Baileys frosting.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Cute!!! Turned out to be a super birthday after all. So glad Neener. :)

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Carole they are both sweet red wines. I don't do dry at all try as I might to like them.

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Evening everyone!

Neener, I'm so glad you came home to lots of neat goodies. Have you had a chance to snuggle with your big boy yet?

Carole, I brought one of these wines to Neener when I visited a year ago, and we have since that time tried to get her some but our little wineries don't have a license to ship out of state. One is made in Llano, TX and is Llano Sweet Red, the other I believe is St. Genivieve Sweet Red out of Fort Stockton. Texas has quite a few wineries, many not far from my farm, much to my husband's delight. Messina Hauf might be big enough to be in other states, it has won quite a few competitions with various wines.

Joy

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi, all.
Had to sneak by to see what all Neener received :) Plus I needed a break... only so much you can remember at a time when learning something new.
Neener, sounds like you received some neat things :) Bet that ladybug windchime is pretty! What's the saying on the dish towel?
Well, I'm more awake again, now, so guess it's back to the Mac...
Have a great week, all!
Michelle

Michelle, It's a sunny yellow woven towel that says "Garden...A Thing of Beauty and a Job Forever" -- so true -- and is decorated with lots of daisies, a trowel, a buzzing bee, and has a green border near the bottom.

Enjoy your wine, Neener. The ones you have given me, Joy, were delicioso.

Hubby's going deer hunting again in the morning and he promised tomorrow afternoon he'll help me bring in the lighted plant stand so I can finally finish bringing in the tenders well ahead of frost. Carole, ours typically doesn't hit til around Halloween, but last year our first one wasn't til around mid-November. Global warming? If we're lucky, snow won't fly til December or January. Gotta watch out for the Noreasters when we really get socked. I sure do dread the long gray days of Winter.

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Been snuggling with the Pye at night. He and Pely both were up on the bed the last 2 nights purring up a storm.

Just got back from some needed errands and I feel like crap. I think there has just been too much stress of one kind or another. My mind and body have had it right now. Vacation?? Was I just on vacation?? :0) Still trying to get my Halloween cards finished. Would really like to get them in the mail this week. Leaves are falling and the remaining annuals outside are ready to be yanked now. Yeesh i'm whining again. Seem to be getting good at that lately. :0)

Athens, PA

Neener - it is a stress reducer to spend time with cuddling with your kitties..... Take a nice nap with them - I love napping with my kitties.

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Carolyn I hear ya! Had a giggle this morning as I was making the bed. My Mom hadn't left for home yet and I think she was pretty sure I was having a breakdown. Pely loves to help make the bed. Her idea of help is to jump on the spread every time I try to pull it up. Once I get it up then she has to hide behind the pillows and reach out to grab me like I don't know she is there. Best minutes of the day!

I do too, Carolyn. Max is the only one of our kitties allowed inside when it gets cold. Of course that's not my rule and rules are made to be broken.

Athens, PA

I totally agree - some rules are made to be broken.

My girlfriend's husband told her that either the cats go or he was going. She told him the cats were staying ^_^. I still think that is hysterical. They joke about it now.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh Carolyn that is so adorable. Very rarely will my two cuddle together. They used to when they were first together, but Pye kinds of sprawls out and she would rather move than adjust. :0)

Elfie I forgot to thank you for my cool card! What a ditz I am. Sorry about that. I was looking at my birthday cards this morning and realized what I had done. Thank you my dear!!

DH is still on vacation this week, so we are going to do a bit of outside work and then relax the rest of the day. A least he is anyway. I still need to cook and be domestic.

Have a vondervul day....

Athens, PA

Oh Neener - I like to cook and be domestic too!

Unfortunately they make me come to this place from 7-3:30 M-F ^_^

Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL(Zone 7b)

You are welcome Neener. I know it was not much,, but I will do better next year ;o)

Love your kitties, Carolyn! How old are they?

Well I totally screwed up and had my Yorkie's appointment card taped on my calendar for Thursday, but he was supposed to be there this morning. I called as soon as I realized my mistake, got VM, left a message, and hope she can work him in soon. She is the sweetest lady besides being a dog lover and stays ultra busy. Dang it! I've never missed an appointment. Since last year, he's gained an inch in his chest and I'd already put a bag of his clothes in the car to give her for other doggies.

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi, all.
Elfie, thanks for the Halloween/Birthday card :) Has a picture of a Jack-o'-lantern filled with yummy goodies on the front.
Fruity, thanks for the description of the gardening towel. Sounds lovely! Love the saying, too :)
Neener, I love the cat story :) Love the way our furry friends help! They can certainly be entertaining :) Take care of yourself, and give the cats some extra pets for me!
Well, learning the Mac is going a bit slower than I hoped. But it's coming along.
Have a great Wednesday, everyone!
Michelle

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

It rained all night, on and off, and the temperature plummeted. All tenders are inside now except for the plastic-covered rolling plant shelves of succulents that will come into the garage later today. It will be in the high 30s tonight and for three nights ... but in the 70s again by next week. Seems as if so many of the leaves have fallen just this week.

I luv those kitties. ♥♥♥

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Athens, PA

Sooz

One is 10 and the other is 12, then I have 2 year old black male and he is just full of it. Makes me laugh. I would take more, but unfortunately, DH would have a problem with that..... Please post a pic of your Yorkie - bet he is a little cutie.

Our temps are supposed to plummet as well. I am wondering where the summer went. This weekend, the bog plants will be cut back and the watelilies pulled and cut back. I'll don't look forward to the end of ponding season as I love to have my coffee out on the deck with the fish on a hot summer morning!

Carole - Love your dahlias - which ones are they? They are stunning.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Carolyn. That's Dinnerplate Dahlia 'Akita'. My first year to grow it ... but it won't be the last year, that's for sure.

Coffee by a pond sounds so inviting. Last weekend a friend and I toured the gardens of a retired Hort. professor/MG and he had a pond. But it was so green and slimy you couldn't see anything. He said the pump kept getting plugged. I thought to myself, that's not surprising. lol. But the rest of the place was fabulous and so interesting ... 40 years of gardening there. So many interesting things and large specimens. Also yard art he made that's to die for (if you are a fan of it like I am). Here's one example of his work...

The title of this piece is "Old Friends Hang Around".

Very nice!

Athens, PA

Carole

I have to put Akita on my list - isn't Akita a dog too?

You're correct - no wonder his pumps kept getting clogged.........

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Yes, a dog breed too. I will say that this flower turned out quite a bit more colorful than the picture on the package I bought.

Thought you'd like that yard art, Charlene. ^_^

Here's another of his pieces. They were all fairly large although you can't tell the scale too well on this.

Wow!!! That is great too! Got a lot of time and pots and wonderful clutter on hand, doesn't he????

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Retired and knows how to weld. He still lives on the old family farmland of many acres with lots of rusty wheels, old machinery, old buildings and barn wood and the like ... and saves just about everything for reuse. Or so it appeared. ♥

He has quite an imagination. Wish I could do that.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Ditto.

His yard art is awesome! Having imagination and creativity like that must be a wonderful thing.

Here's our little beast on his 4th birthday. I know I have a main folder somewhere on my drive for him but couldn't locate it, only found the one of birthday pics. He'll be 6 in November.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

He is so beautiful. Love him.
got a birthday present today from Faye. Her computer is down. But she sent me one of those molds that makes a head. I love it, I'll try to get it loaded.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.