Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Poultry and Livestock: my first prolapse egg.

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 7, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8851563

Our young group of hens are starting to lay and the first egg ended up being a prolapse. DH and I armed with a sprayer bottle of saline water, surgical gloves and sugar managed to clean the area, get the egg out (still soft so we popped it) and replace the prolapsed stuff back in her...she was in such misery all day, poor thing. She's now resting in an intensive care cage and hopefully will recover in a few days. Anyone else had this problem before and if so what did you do and did the hen ever recover? Will this continue to happen with this hen? What should I do for the next few days? What an exciting day! :)
porkpal
Richmond, TX

October 16, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8851678

I have never had a hen prolapse but others here have, and I remember hens that recovered completely. I hope you will hear from the experienced chicken heads. It sounds as if you have done a good job with her.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

October 17, 2011
4:03 AM

Post #8852073

I have been following a thread on byc about this same thing,she put her chicken in the dark so she would stop laying and only gave her a few hours of light a day,you could read up on this and see if its something you would want to try
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2011
9:30 AM

Post #8852521

Thanks Green! Dr. Ric and Nurse Ann performed a brilliant surgery and the grateful patient is resting comfortably in the intensive care cage.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

October 17, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8852627

The thread is called, egg is stuck inside skin and is hanging on the hens bottom.Its very interesting how much this person loves her chicken and will do anything for her.Some of us are jjust like that.
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2011
2:33 PM

Post #8852987

Yes, I have friends that just can't understand why we would bother..."just kill it" was the most common reply. Love my girls and they repay me with delicious eggs, great entertainment and manure for my garden. :)
Illig1
Redwood City, CA

October 20, 2011
7:58 PM

Post #8857691

Glad you didn't listen to the hard-hearted, ice-veined people!
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2011
6:09 AM

Post #8857964

Worried about our little girl today. She's all hunched up and not moving around much... it looks like she's egg bound again. :( I'm wondering if this is going to keep happening or if she'll ever recover. :( Any advise?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America