Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Gingers: two new kaempferia

Communities > Forums > Gingers
bookmark
Forum: GingersReplies: 5, Views: 83
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 17, 2011
3:40 AM

Post #8852064

Bought these last weekend...K. grande and I forgot the other. Does anyone have experience growing these?

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Click the image for an enlarged view.

TimChapman
Saint Gabriel, LA

October 17, 2011
4:46 AM

Post #8852105

The other one is Kaempferia rotunda 'Raven'. What would you like to know about Kaenpferia? Most are Zone 8 hardy if grown in shady well drained areas. All have a natural winter dormancy and are easily grown as pot plants assuming the pots are stored dry over the winter in a cool dry area. There are many species out there, but only a few easily found in the trade these days.

Tim Chapman
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 17, 2011
7:17 AM

Post #8852333

Hi Tim,
I love these...want more of them, but like you said, not readily available. I happened to find these down in florida and couldn't pass them up. I have one and I pretty much leave it alone, seems to do best that way. I have it in a pot and keep it in the GH during the winter. So you think I could plant it in the ground here (8b) and it would come back? I have so many plants, I am trying to put mor of them in the ground, but only if I am sure they will return.

Also, do you know of a reliable source to order these from?

Does the above two require any special growing conditions? or are they all pretty much the same?

Here is the one I have had for 3-4 years now...do you know its name?

Thank you

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

TimChapman
Saint Gabriel, LA

October 17, 2011
8:42 AM

Post #8852441

I am in zone 8b and most are fully hardy provided they get good drainage especially during the winter months. There a few difficult species but you won't encounter them for sale in the US.

The two you have don't really have any special needs per se, though I've found K sp 'Grande' is more sensitive to rot and definitely needs good drainage. I'd hold off til next season to plant them to get a full season to get established.

Your other one is a K pulchra. Maybe 'Silverspot' or 'Alva' hard to say for sure.
I'll send you a pm about others I offer.

Tim Chapman
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 17, 2011
8:51 AM

Post #8852452

OK, thank you
Vinesnmore
Bronson, FL

May 7, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9114277

I think I have 5-7 different kaempherias maybe we can work something out. I have

Bronze
Gilbertii
Rotunda Frost
Pink Lace
Satin Checks

I think I have more too I'll have to look!

Thumbnail by Vinesnmore

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Dichorisanda pendula Moodene 9 Aug 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Oh That Fragrance! Xeramtheum 43 Sep 17, 2008 1:08 AM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America