Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: The Zinnia: A Flower that's Hard on the Eyes?: Butterflies love the zinnia too!

Communities > Forums > Article: The Zinnia: A Flower that's Hard on the Eyes?
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Zinnia: A Flower that's Hard on the Eyes?Replies: 2, Views: 14
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2011
6:36 AM

Post #8852254

Went right to your article to find out more about growing zinnias. Thanks for all the details!

We grow zinnias especially for the butterflies (the monarchs and swallowtails love the brightly colored tall varieties with flattish flower heads (landing pads) and the little yellow florets around the centers that hold abundant nectar. And our hummingbirds are attracted to them from afar because of our row of reds and crimsons, a color which the ruby-throateds love.

Not to mention the benefits of mid and late summer zinnia bouquets to brighten these darkening days of autumn.

I did want to add that gardeners who live in climates with humid hot summers (like ours in the Ohio River valley and points south) may benefit from planting the 'Benary's Giant' varieties and mixes, available from Stokes, Johnny's and Rene's garden seeds among other sources. Z. Benary's Giants (also know as Blue Point Strain) stand up the best to the powdery mildew according to many studies, have a wide variety of colors available singly or in mixes, and have nice long stems for cutting. They grow to about 3-4 feet tall so the butterflies can find them easily, too. I love growing them.

Thanks again for the article. t.

Stoke's 'Benary's Giant' zinnia selection: http://www.stokeseeds.com/category.aspx?CategoryID=542

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2011
6:59 AM

Post #8852305

I love zinnias! Thanks for the interesting history, Larry. Isn't it wonderful that Mr. Zinn had the curiosity and intelligence to do beautiful things with that plain white flower?
Hi, tabasco, how've you been? Thanks for mentioning the giant mixes--those would be great to add color amongst the purple coneflowers that fade out eventually.
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2011
10:03 AM

Post #8852570

Thanks so much for your comments, tabasco and Renée. I very much appreciate the helplful information and the link. :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Zinnia: A Flower that's Hard on the Eyes? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Which zinnia species was mal de ojos? dawnsharon2001 6 Nov 17, 2012 7:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America