-
AuthorContent
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 17, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8853353

Noting: I'm in Washington (NW) and my hardiness zone is 7b.

I have a bay tree that I bought in spring that is now in a 8 or 10" container. I know bay trees are hardy here when planted into the ground but I'm unsure about in containers. I have a couple of options and would like some opinions on which might be "best."

Outdoor options:
The deck - covered, faces south, receives a large amount of wind. I do have a few big containers I could put in front as a wind barrier.
The porch - covered, faces north, somewhat open to the west, receives some wind but is far more protected.
At the bottom of the stairs - covered, faces south, no wind.

Indoor options:
Unheated bedroom. Faces north. Stays around 50.
Storage closet on deck. Unheated, no lighting, cement floor.

So what do you think?

BTW, little Bay has his own blankey. He's been using it since the temps started getting cold at night. Going to buy a paper pot for insulation.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2011
8:59 PM

Post #8853493

I vote for 'The deck - covered, faces south, receives a large amount of wind. I do have a few big containers I could put in front as a wind barrier.'

That is with adequate protection for the potted roots from potential freezes. Or if you have a hard freeze, perhaps move it indoors temporarily.

In my experience, Bay laurel does better with sun which is why I voted accordingly.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 28, 2011
4:29 PM

Post #8909431

Why wouldn't you put it in the ground?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 28, 2011
6:44 PM

Post #8909588

Because it was to bless'ed dry here. LOL That was my intention but the weather didn't accomodate.

But then I know you weren't asking me... Hiya!
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

November 28, 2011
7:18 PM

Post #8909654

Darius:
I live in a condo that sprays regularly with pesticides and what not. Nothing edible or used for cooking is safe once planted in the ground.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2011
6:42 AM

Post #8910113

Ack! That's criminal!!!

I kept a bay in a pot until it was about 3-4 feet tall, when it became too cumbersome to move indoors and outside every year. Now I just buy fresh Turkish Bay leaves every year, and distribute the old ones in the pantry to avoid bugs.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

December 17, 2011
7:36 PM

Post #8933743

I keep my bay in a pot. They don't always overwinter well here, I need sunnier window space, I think.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 18, 2011
12:12 PM

Post #8934437

Well so far my little guy is digging it on the deck. No pot in front to protect it from the wind, gets good lighting and is putting out loads of leaves. I was able to get another harvest out before the temps started to drop.
growers1
Charles City, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #8999021

Aside from the Bays we're selling that are growing in our greenhouses, we've moved a few into our sun porch for the winter to study and enjoy. They get plenty of sunlight, water about once a week and seem pretty happy. The temperature on some nights has been rather chilly, as some of the windows are stuck and won't close, but they're getting enough warmth and protection from our porch to thrive. I've heard that Bay oil can help relieve headaches, has anyone tried Bay as a medicinal herb?

Thumbnail by growers1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mgpaquin
Savannah, GA

April 8, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9074600

I'd just LOVE to try to grow a bay tree down here in Savannah next year after I retire. Our summers are horrendously hot, and unfortunately I have almost no dappled shade at all to protect a young plant. Does anyone think I could grow bay, either in a container or in the ground, down here? [Keeping my fingers crossed!]
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9074819

I don't know your zone but I don't know why you couldn't grow bay, either in the ground or in a pot. And, I don't know why you have to wait till retirement either... Kristi
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 8, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9074822

Update - I left the thing on the deck. It received lots of weather treatment and has put out loads of new growth. It also had a nice red blankey for the winter.

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #9102546

tikipod---They really do love the weather in the PNW. If you put them in the ground here, they become a giant tree in no time at all. I know, I tried it and we had to take it down because i had put it in front of the dining room window, which is pretty high off the ground. It grew above the window and climbing. Now I grow one in a pot on the south facing patio.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9103106

If we move into a place that we aren't renting I will definitely plant it in the ground. I'll need a bigger pot for the fella for now though.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America