Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Water Gardens: Salting Pond

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 18, Views: 216
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 18, 2011
4:46 AM

Post #8853675

Somebody asked me on one of these threads if I salt my pond at start up. I cannot for the life of me find that posting.

We typically salt our pond when we shut down in the fall. I was reading online, where this is NOT recommended because it can potentially harm the fish. I did discuss this possibility with DH and his attitude is 'if it is not broken, don't fix it'. So, I am currently buying the 4# boxes of pickling salt and we will be starting to add salt this weekend with the idea of reaching an ultimate salinity of 3%. I do understand DH's attitude because when we started doing this, that was the point where we stopped having health issues at start up.

We do the required water exchanges in the spring and do a thorough vacuuming as well and all the waterlilies are lifted and fertilized at that time. The salinity levels are checked and by the time the waterlilies start to put out new pads, the salinity is at zero.

Salting a pond is controversial and I have heard a lot of pros and cons on it. My attitude is if what you are doing works for you, then continue to do what you are doing...

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2011
5:51 AM

Post #8853767

It was me Carolyn,
I'll throw a little salt in each pond. I'm sure it won't hurt them as salt is healing. Some people put buttermilk in ponds cause it activates good bacteria. I healed up ulcers on Shamoo with rock salt and being quaranteened for a week and he is fine again. Still have some boxes in garden shed.

BTW your fish are beautiful and look huge. My 3 butterfly koi I started out with are about 1 1/2 foot and 2 yrs. old from nose to tail. Blondie, goldie and shamoo and an oranda named meatball by my son. Thats all thats in oldest pond now so there is room for more koi. Yipee

Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 18, 2011
6:02 AM

Post #8853783

Bonnie - don't worry, at some point you koi will start to have children ^^_^^
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 18, 2011
6:32 AM

Post #8853828

I use salt and a UV filter as a staple. I also constantly add a bacteria/enzyme. Since then, I've not had any problems with fish health or water quality.
Bonnie, do you still want some of my smaller fry ? (about 3-5 inches) Nothing spectacular, but free. :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 18, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8853901

Mary -

I use those as well, but not in the winter... the uv lights come inside as do the pumps. We will stop adding the pondzyme when our water temps drop below the mid 50's.

The last pump comes into the house when the water temps in in the mid 30's and then the deicers go in... Then iit is total withdrawal for me!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2011
3:11 PM

Post #8854389

Mary,
I also use UV clarifiers. Tomorrow I'm going to get pondzyme and stress stuff. I have plenty of salt. Poor fish are still pretty upset from moving and me chasing after them to catch them.

I have saved the little pond for your babies. Don't care what they look ilke, if there swimming their fine. I'll be out and about tomorrow getting stuff for RU. If you want me to come with a container I can or whatever is convenient for you. My cell 352-223-1611. House 352-394-4883.
Got no quams about handing out phone no. Its on a sign right in front of my house cause of my bus.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 18, 2011
4:47 PM

Post #8854545

Bonnie...I can drop them off on Thursday...I leave for my business trip Friday :( which is why I can't make the round-up...I'll give you a call to see when you'll be home...
:)

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2011
5:17 PM

Post #8854584

I'll be home all day Thursday. I'm definitely not a shopper so I'm usually home. Worked for years away from home so very glad to be home now. Come anytime. I'll keep cell with me while I'm outside.
Bonnie
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 13, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8888655

Some of you remember me that my first season and all the health issues. I did everything from salt to enzemes . Three years later (or is it 4 years ?) and I add nothing extra to the pond. The only difference is that i put in the bottom drain, aged my pond and I have an aerator running year round. Each spring I have the pond cleaned out and I treat the fish in my holding tank for any possible health issues. This summer I even shut off my waterfalls and bottom drain for a month to see if my electric bill (it's very very high compared to neighborhood) would go down and nothing happened to my fish. My pond is self sustaining itself and I am glad cause it's a lot cheaper to care for.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 13, 2011
3:11 PM

Post #8888669

I use salt and use to use the pond salt which can be pricey. Some one mentioned the solar salt which are sold in 50 lbs gabg and that what I use now. I use the blue bag.

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 14, 2011
8:10 AM

Post #8889710

Linda

how are you? Has it really been 3-4 years? Seems like yesterday.
Eclipse
Norwalk, IA
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9007687

I use kosher salt...every water change inside. I m building a large pond outside in the spring. Salt keeps parasites at bay and is important in regulating osmosis within the fishes skin. NO table salt ..it is iodized. Kosher salt is pure harvested salt, no iodine.

Kyle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9008191

Kyle

I use Pickling Salt - much more economical than buying pond salt. Pickling salt doesn't have any iodine either.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

February 15, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9008313

I use water softener salt...40 lb bags for about $5. Make sure it's the kind that has no additives.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 16, 2012
1:49 AM

Post #9008464

MM - I have seen those bags at work. Where do you get them? Is that something I could get at Lowes?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

February 16, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9008596

Lowes, Home Depot, WalMart, and our grocery store all have it. I think they carrry the Morton brand, but any brand is fine, as long as you check the label to make sure it's only salt (some of the bags has an additional cleaner added)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

February 20, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9013440

this isn't really about salting the pond. Rather it is a shot of Damien last year hauling gravel from the bottom of ours. thought it was interesting. What a job but it was well worth it. So much easier to clean and had to be healthier for the fish.

Thumbnail by Oberon46
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 20, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9013749

Looks like it was warmer then...
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

February 20, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9013837

Considerably!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America