Photo by Melody

Home Repairs and Maintenance: what happened to my dishwasher?

Communities > Forums > Home Repairs and Maintenance
bookmark
Forum: Home Repairs and MaintenanceReplies: 4, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 18, 2011
4:16 PM

Post #8854500

What happened to my dishwasher? Well it started with the handle seaming to be stuck. So I sprayed it with cleaner . Then all the lights went haywire and flashed on and off all over the place. Hubby wants to replace both control panel and the board. Could it just be the control panel that got moisture in it? The cost of both are only a hundred less than a new one dishwasher, but not like the one I have.
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 18, 2011
7:59 PM

Post #8854786

marie_kap wrote:What happened to my dishwasher? Well it started with the handle seaming to be stuck. So I sprayed it with cleaner . Then all the lights went haywire and flashed on and off all over the place. Hubby wants to replace both control panel and the board. Could it just be the control panel that got moisture in it? The cost of both are only a hundred less than a new one dishwasher, but not like the one I have.

You may have several ways to proceed but, how old is the dishwasher? If it's more than - i dunno - maybe 6-8 years or so, I'd consider getting a replacement. It would be a shame to sink a lot of time/money into it and it either be intermittent, or some other component fail in a year or 2.

As for moisture - You could try flushing the electronics with alcohol. 90% isopropyl or the denatured alcohol sold in the paint department. It shouldn't harm anything inside and will speed up removing any moisture.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2011
6:04 AM

Post #8855196

I think it is about 6 years old, but there is nothing else wrong with it. It looks new inside and out.
It has been sitting now for a 2 months. The handle was broke that is why it was hard to open, So we did replace that. I looked to see when I sprayed the handle where the moisture could have gone. The board is to the right of the handle so no moisture could have gotten on that.I guess it could have gotten in the panel under the buttons, but wouldn't moisture get there when I was just cleaning it?
If I had to buy the one I have now, ( which I really like) it would be around 500.00. At this time I would rather fix it if I could figure out what part is bad.
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2011
6:26 AM

Post #8855228

marie_kap wrote:I think it is about 6 years old, but there is nothing else wrong with it. It looks new inside and out.
It has been sitting now for a 2 months. The handle was broke that is why it was hard to open, So we did replace that. I looked to see when I sprayed the handle where the moisture could have gone. The board is to the right of the handle so no moisture could have gotten on that.I guess it could have gotten in the panel under the buttons, but wouldn't moisture get there when I was just cleaning it?
If I had to buy the one I have now, ( which I really like) it would be around 500.00. At this time I would rather fix it if I could figure out what part is bad.

A coupla other things to try. One would be to locate the breaker for the kitchen circuit the d'washr is on. Try turning it off for 15 minutes and turning it back on. Often, nowadays, a 're-boot' of electronics can be helpful.

Also, if there is an obvious ground wire from the electronics board to the metal frame of the machine, inspect it closely for corrosion.

You may be able to enter the brand/model number into a search engine and find a lot of info. Drawings, part numbers, Forum posts where others have repaired the same model for the same problem... Sometimes even Youtube videos of repair/rebuilding procedures.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2011
6:49 AM

Post #8855252

Thanks Texan.
I went on their face book page to see what the most common complaints were. I found that most were the control panel. So i found the a place that had it the cheapest and ordered it.

Thanks to all for your help.
Marie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Repairs and Maintenance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to Home Repairs & Maintenance Terry 17 Jul 14, 2011 1:42 AM
hiring help roxroe 16 Mar 27, 2007 9:04 AM
I hated trimming the grass along the fence jleec 15 Jun 6, 2011 6:47 AM
Hi! I'm new but have 2 questions Illoquin 7 Apr 5, 2007 6:48 PM
Eeek... mice! dreamingofeden 10 Mar 15, 2009 10:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America