Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: What is this?????????

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 8, Views: 205
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jcf
Brooklet, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 18, 2001
8:34 PM

Post #16394

My hubby found this plant growing under one of our trees. It has seeds like a l antana. I never saw any flowers under this tree but the grass was growed up preety tall. any ideas on this. is it a weed or something i should get seeds off of. janet

Thumbnail by jcf
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JustJen
Dansville, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2001
9:27 PM

Post #149237

egads jcf.i think thats an extremely toxic weed..let me do some checking..the name is on my tongue and i cant get it off right now...be back in a few
jen
Baa

October 18, 2001
9:30 PM

Post #149239

It looks like a nightshade, either Atropa belladonna or Solanum nigrum, certainly of that family. Pull them up especially if you have children, they are poisonous and will cause terrible stomach upset if eaten in the best case senario.
JustJen
Dansville, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2001
10:19 PM

Post #149261

i, too, think its in the nightshade family...just cant find the right one...
will check further, but im off to football practice now..lol, well not me, but my son
jen
jcf
Brooklet, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 18, 2001
10:50 PM

Post #149281

thanks for the info
TraciS
Temple, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2001
11:55 AM

Post #149495

Poisonous Plants of North Carolina - Atropa Belladonna - Learn the plant family, origin and poisonous part of the herb. Includes other facts and photos.
Hey Janet, I did a search and just type this in the top. This site shows a pic of it and I bet this is what it is. I've never seen it before, and I live here in Ga. I found something this weekend, and it's called Beauty Berry Bush, but the berry's are a neon purple color and it is beautiful.Wishing your find would have been the same. If I can figure out if the berry's are the seeds for sure, I could share some with you. Also, thanks on the passion flowers. They looked fine!!!!

Thanks, Traci S

jcf
Brooklet, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 20, 2001
12:14 AM

Post #149780

Traci S, Is what you are talking about called pruple beauty berry, callicarpa dichotoma, You can find a pic in daves plant data base under purple beauty berry. lmk ok

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 20, 2001
1:25 AM

Post #149846

The Beauty Berry bush grows wild here in GA, it's all over here in southwest GA..Callicarpa.. I agree, your picture is a Nightshade..
Larkie
TraciS
Temple, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 20, 2001
2:21 PM

Post #150023

Hey Janet, I did see the pic and Thanks alot! It says the blooms are pink. That was one thing I was wondering, if the berry's were it, or if it flowered. I guess the berry's are the seed right? I have some if you'd like any. Not many, but a few. I'd be glad to share, especially since I was such a procrastinator on sending postage on the Passiflora. Just LMK!!! I've gotten things better organized now, and I am finally getting this DG thing and Love it!!

Thanks again, Traci S

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America