Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Begonias: At what temperature do you bring your begonias inside?

Communities > Forums > Begonias
bookmark
Forum: BegoniasReplies: 27, Views: 314
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
looking_glass1
College Park, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2011
10:08 AM

Post #8855530

At what temperature do you bring ypur begoinas inside for the winter? I have heard a range of 35 to 56 degrees. What is your preparation for them? I bring mine in at 40 degrees. I also clean the pots from dead leaves and things. The soil is checked for acorns buried. Then there are some pots I will change the soil at that time too. A good medium (Earthgro), fine orchid bark and perlite. Sometimes a little charcoal or lava rock. That's my mix. I have Milstop mix, insecticidal soap and other fungicide back up. What works for you?

Looking_Glass1
Shifty
Rochester, NY
(Zone 5b)

October 19, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8856397

I started bringing them in a couple weeks ago I think when the nights were starting to be below 45.We have had some wet, windy fall weather and they were starting to get a little beat up too so time to come in. I also clean the outside of the pots and take out all the debris laying on the soil and spray with a fungicide (trying Green Cure this year) and insecticide (something by Bayer, can't remember right now). Some need to be re potted but I just haven't had time to get that done yet. I use either Miracle Grow (without moisture crystals) or Pro Mix. This year I used Pro mix and was really glad due to the cold very wet spring. I think Pro Mix drains better than MG, at least it seems that way for me.
looking_glass1
College Park, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 21, 2011
11:53 AM

Post #8858341

Shifty, now I have got mine all in. We had a some rain and a cold front that changed the temps. So, I figured this was the best time was now for me to bring them in. Would eventually needed to do it anyway. Just cleaning pots out. Taking my time potting up and down some begonias that really needed the attention. MG I had used in the past, but find it to heavy for the fine hair roots of my plants. The only way I would use it now would be on my tropical plants that could handle it.

Also, thanks for responding. Would love to read what others do too.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2011
3:10 PM

Post #8859431

Started bringing mine in today. After five hours of removing leaf litter and moving some to the patio, I may have moved a handful indoors. Maybe by next Sunday I will have most of them inside. I just hope I can get out of bed in the morning to do another five hours or more.
looking_glass1
College Park, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8859652

Butch, it is definitely a process. It looks like about this time next week the weather should hold good for you. Just take your time.

Mine felt like a real project. I'm still working at cleaning the pots and changing soil even today. Potting up plants along the way. I'm no where close to your hundreds but this 175 count I have has been work for me.

Don't get me wrong I love them, but I do recognize this work comes with the territory of having them too. One day I received 27 new plants in the mail a couple weeks ago. Just added them to the collection. More next week. Its like there is never enough for me. I'm steadily chasing the rare ones or hard to find. Then replace the ones I lost by keeping the tags for future reference.

I'm here if you need the help or I will see you at the next meeting.

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2011
6:49 PM

Post #8859674

It's a job but if I didn't like them I'd throw them all on the compost heap.

Here is just a small section of some I have to move in.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Click the image for an enlarged view.

looking_glass1
College Park, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2011
7:15 PM

Post #8859694

Well, we both know they aren't going to a compost heap. You have alot to do, just take plenty breaks.
dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 23, 2011
6:09 AM

Post #8859952

I brought the begonias in at the end of September. And then the smaller plants through the next few week. We started on the huge plants yesterday. My husband is starting a divorce action tomorrow.

Thumbnail by dbsmith2

looking_glass1
College Park, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 23, 2011
8:19 AM

Post #8860137

LOL at DB. I have one of those husbands. Mine stubbed his toe and complained of low back pain for helping. He is going to sue me over the plants. I told him I will pay him on Tuesday to square the deal.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

October 23, 2011
8:50 AM

Post #8860166

Db, I love your garden. It is wonderful what you have built. I try to minimize the amount of help I need from my DH. Oh the grouching... and he isn't the once with bulging lower disks. lol. So you take in the begonias in pots and store them in pots. You must have huge places to do so. I can store maybe four large (24-30" x 24" pots) in my garage, so all stuff in reduced to tubers or corms or whatever and put up on the lower shelves in the coolest part of the garage. Only dahlias, glads, and begonias. I am searching for a hardy wisteria for next year. I think one of the dahlias places has one to try.
Shifty
Rochester, NY
(Zone 5b)

October 23, 2011
10:04 AM

Post #8860271

It is a lot of work that's for sure. Hauling trays of plants down the stairs to the basement is not something I look forward to. Managing the storm door and the tray is tough too but the stairs are the killer. For some reason it seems easier to bring them up in the spring, same stairs, same door but somehow easier; must be something to do with the long winter hibernation being over with. My husband isn't around to haul stuff into the basement. He is off doing his own thing but he does the majority of the work raking and mulching leaves and bagging the garden debris that can't be mulched. Of course there is an awful lot of mumbling about "too much" and lots and lots of eye rolling when plants arrive in the spring!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

October 23, 2011
10:22 AM

Post #8860283

that is just hysterical. Gotta just love those 'signifigant others'. I certainly do.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 23, 2011
1:37 PM

Post #8860470

Well to be fair to the significant other, it is our hobby after all. I don't expect (nor get) any help from my wife with this form of OCD. What we really need help with is the OCD itself.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Shifty
Rochester, NY
(Zone 5b)

October 23, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8860547

hcmcdole, I certainly hear you on the help with this form of OCD!!!
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 23, 2011
4:19 PM

Post #8860666

I'm not an addict, just like them a lot and can't live without them.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Shifty
Rochester, NY
(Zone 5b)

October 23, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8860692

I just may be an addict, not sure. My husband doesn't understand this form of addiction hence all the eye rolling as the new plants arrive in spring, but he does help me with a great deal with the perennial gardens in the fall and this is for a hobby we don't share and the begonias are an addiction he doesn't understand, I really can't complain!! (even though I may a little now and then :)
dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 29, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8868395

My husband told me, as the snow was falling on us at 7:00 Thursday night while we wrestled 28 huge brugs out of their summer pots, that he has declared the greenhouse full and I am to buy no more plants. Good thing Logees open house is next weekend and they are having a $5 begonia sale.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2011
5:12 PM

Post #8868455

I should just move to South Florida and be done with it. No more plants, no more plants, say it with me, no more plants...

I've been moving plants in all week - anywhere from 2 to 6 hours a day and almost done. Now I just need a 3 person cleaning crew to clean my basement. Why do I do this every year. Too many plants, too many BIG plants, not getting any younger, I must be crazy. Just be glad you have a spouse that helps.
Shifty
Rochester, NY
(Zone 5b)

October 29, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8868491

Snow DB...sorry to hear that. We just got back from Phoenix, nice to see the sun again. I put Little Brother Montgomery, very large plant, under the front over hang with Art Hodes before I left and they are both ok. I told myself if it didn't die from a frost by the time I got back I would bring it inside for the winter. They both look fine. The impatiens have bitten the dust though but I don't think we had an actual frost while we were gone. I have cuttings and a smaller plant from spring cuttings of LBM, but now I just don't know if I can haul it inside...maybe just more cuttings!
dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 29, 2011
8:58 PM

Post #8868674

Get ready, because I left 2 or 3 long branches on most of the canes for your cuttings. Now that we are almost buttoned up, I can finally send a box your way. The clivia, Epiphyllum and amaryllis went into the basement this evening. We just have a few more plants in the garage to relocate to the house or greenhouse, and then we are done!!! Of course, we still have to catch the goldfish and bring them inside and drain and replace 10,000 gallons in the big pond. Did I say we were almost done?
Lovely snowfall here. We're supposed to escape the worst of it the storm, but I am glad we got the whole house generator.
Shifty
Rochester, NY
(Zone 5b)

October 30, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8869611

Wow DB, I get tired just reading about all you've done! How much snow did you get? We had our first frost. Kind of light, some things bit the dust and some survived. Dahlias are done, cut them down today. Little Brother Montgomery still survives. I took more cuttings. Love that one.
Where do your fish live for the winter?
Fall is a tough season for us gardeners, especially if you don't live in South Florida! I am not ready to stop getting more begonias but every fall I ask myself about the dahlias. Now there is a lot of work.
Let us know what you find at Logees!!
dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2011
7:05 PM

Post #8879549

Lots. I found lots. I can't resist a $5 begonia. But only 4 plants besides begonias. Cause I have restraint...
Shifty
Rochester, NY
(Zone 5b)

November 7, 2011
4:04 PM

Post #8880632

Very jealous!!!
Shifty
Rochester, NY
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8883622

DB, so now that I am jealous...what did you find?
dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8910826

what didn't I find? Palomar Prince, Curly Fireflush, Buttercup, Dainty Spray Sport, Two Face, Richardsiana, Pink Minx, San Miguel, Partita, Orocco, Spider Web, Munchkin, Madame Queen, Lucy Locket, Listada, Kitty, Wightii, kismet, Tweedle Dee, Goegoensis, Mabel Corwin, Brazil Species, Martin's Mystery, and Caravan. Stop me...
Sorry about the delay in response. We've been working outside nonstop. I'm glad it is so warm, but I'm too old for this.
Shifty
Rochester, NY
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2011
12:03 PM

Post #8917379

Wow db, great haul. Love Wightii; I will have to look up several of the others.
I hear you about getting too old for all of the outside work! My problem is once spring rolls around I seem to forget about how hard it was in the fall. It always seems easier to get it set up in the spring than to take it all down in the fall!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2011
2:37 PM

Post #8917605

You are so right! Just spent from 10:15 to 5:15 cutting back one of the Japanese iris gardens. In spring I'll be out, as usual, looking for things to do. Our warm weather has been great for planting lilies (about 300 of them) and mulching each bed when I finish each garden.

My begonias are in hanging baskets and awaiting my attention in the garage before I bring them in for the winter.
dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2011
5:31 AM

Post #8918385

we planted about 600 bulbs this weekend. But the house is not decorated for Christmas. Must set priorities...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Begonias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Here's my begonia collection flowerjunkie 106 Feb 10, 2009 2:27 PM
Tuberous Begonias? Woofens 25 Feb 29, 2008 8:05 PM
BEGONIA sticky links begoniacrazii 37 Jun 8, 2007 6:11 PM
Talking about polka dots................. Kell 35 Feb 16, 2008 8:31 PM
Begonia Dead? Wvdaisy 13 Apr 12, 2007 3:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America