Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: What is the mature size of Tibouchina Urvilleana?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 7, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
echiumfan
Matthews, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2011
10:39 PM

Post #8856615

I'm doing research on whether to buy tibouchina urvilleana or not and I noticed that the mature size varies by as much as 9 or 10 feet depending on which website you visit! This is even among Dave's listed suppliers. I find that the lack of good, consistent information from professional growers to be confusing and frustrating. I would like to purchase the tall variety. Can someone please direct me?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2011
7:05 PM

Post #8857639

As long as you get the straight species it would grow tall given the right conditions. However...I don't think they will be hardy in your climate which means you will either need to keep it in a pot which will limit its size, or if you plant it in the ground and it does somehow manage to survive the winter it'll likely die back quite a bit and therefore never reach its full height potential. The 'Athens Blue' cultivar is supposed to be a little hardier, but I think it's also more compact.
echiumfan
Matthews, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2011
3:08 AM

Post #8914542

Yeah, I've seemed to have taken a liking to plants that don't do well in my zone. But why let that stop me?! I'm stubborn and persistent. I've obtained Urvillana and grandiflora. They are growing next to my mangoes and echiums. All in pots. Maybe I just need to move to California.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2011
6:31 AM

Post #8914675

Moving to CA won't help, you'll still try to grow things that don't like your climate. I moved here from OH so you would think I'd be happy with the range of things I can grow now, but I have a greenhouse full of stuff that's too tropical to survive here.
echiumfan
Matthews, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #8971960

Yeah, ecrane3, you are probably right. Hawaii is probably my only option. The Tibouchina is considered invasive and unwanted. Such a beautiful plant.

jaimelemon

jaimelemon
St. Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9134895

I live in Missouri and just purchased a Tibouchina. It is in a pot on my front porch. I love it and it is doing quite well, hoping I can overwinter it like a normal houseplant that needs a lot of sun. Planning on sitting it next to my Southern exposure window and hoping for the best. How is yours doing?

Thumbnail by jaimelemon
Click the image for an enlarged view.

echiumfan
Matthews, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 24, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9366425

Was doing fine. I have two t. Grandiflolias overwintering indoors (in west facing windows) and one t. Urvilliana (south facing window). The leaves dry out quickly due to very low humidity in my home (gas heat). They all briefly flowered this winter but not fully. They are struggling. Can't wait to get them back outside this spring.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 29, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9370159

the ones here grow into a nice contained shrub 10ft or less i'd say with the pruning and periods of cold. it seems hardy. the nursery had 3 and a lady pre-ordered all 3 - i was so upset haha!

i think the other kind with the fuzzy silvery leaves appears more hardy.

interesting thread!

This message was edited Dec 29, 2012 9:29 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America