Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Sewing and Quilting: Looking for a Chandler Instruction maual

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 5, Views: 50
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2011
9:14 AM

Post #8857055

I recently purchased an industrial sewing machine; a Chandler DB-J704.
I've contacted Chandler and they don't have any manuals for it. Then i hunted other places online for it with no luck.
I was hoping someone here could help me out. I have a long list of projects that I'd love to get started on once I learn out to actually use the machine!
Thanks,
Barb
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

October 21, 2011
10:23 AM

Post #8858216

What a helpful company, hm? :/

I can't find anything about this machine anywhere. Fortunately, all their models appear to be very basic machines, but there are things to consider about industrial machines which don't apply to domestic machines. (type of motor, clutch, lubrication method, etc)

Maybe you could advertise on craigslist that you need someone to show you how to run this machine and include pictures of the motor and the machine, front and back.

Good luck!
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2011
1:25 AM

Post #8858862

Good idea. Even if I manage to get an instruction annual, I just may do that.
Barb
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2011
3:01 AM

Post #8858870

Talk to other sewers in your area, find out who they would recommend for machine repairs. Then contact that person and ask them if they have ever worked on a Chandler. If not see if they could suggest a contact. I've sewn over 50 years and have found the best repair people aren't always the dealer "sanctioned" ones.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 22, 2011
4:19 PM

Post #8859525

AMEN to that one Mittsy!! Once upon a time the Viking "repairman" in our town was so bad that Viking was going down the tubes! When a NEW guy/ company got that job, WOW!!! I suddenly loved my machine! I had been ready to trade it in and get something else I was so dissatisfied with it.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2011
8:45 PM

Post #8859751

Mom actually stumbled onto an older gentleman that repaired machines, after talking to the owner of a jewelry store when she took her rings in to be cleaned. She had taken Gma's treadle machine apart and needed replacement parts and another piece that had broken.
I agree with Mittsy, sometimes those 'off the beaten path' shops are the best places for service. I can remember quite a few older men that would do repair work from their home, on cash terms. The coolest one we ever went to, was an older German man who repaired our pendulum wall clock. He lived on a back road in a huge old country house by himself, did odd jobs for cash. The living room and parlor was filled with all sorts of clocks, we spend most of the afternoon visiting, as he showed us his collections.. didn't hardly charge us anything to fix our clock, as it was a minor adjustment and cleaning..
Sort of like the old diners and truck stops for really good homecooked food. Speaking of which... on our trip back from KC, we stopped for gas at one of those big truck stops, 9pm... there was a huge buffet there with ham steaks cut at least 1" thick or more. Looked like they were just hacked off the hambone! No pretty slices at that place, and the fried chicken pieces were quarter chickens - no individual legs, thighs, etc. If I recall, the price was like 11.99 for the buffet. We just ordered off the menu, as good as it all looked, it was too late to be eating that heavy! But those truckers were filling up on it and doing take-out, too.
Is there one of those shops that embroider jackets, hats, etc., around you? Maybe they could share a name of a repairman that may help or suggest another place to check out.?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America