Photo by Melody

Beginner Flowers: Is it too late to transplant a rose in central Ohio?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 1, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JillinOhio
Lancaster, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 21, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8858528

My sister passed away recently and I've been given permission to remove her beloved pink miniature rose. My concern is whether or not it is too late to transplant it. We have not had a hard frost but will soon, I'm sure. Would it be better to simply pot it and keep it in the garage (attached to my house but not heated) and wait until late spring to plant it or should I plant it outside now?

Thanks,
Jill
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

November 20, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8898905

Sorry no one got back to you Jill, the answer I would give you is either plant it outside or if you pot it, then you need to give it shelter like against the house wall where there is less chance of the pot freezing and the roots. I would put it in the garage IF it can be sat close to a window where there will be some light getting to it as in total darkness a plant that normally gets and requires light wont really survive without the light.

To plant now, I would prune some of the new growth away, this will save the Rose from being rocked about if it is windy and also helps remove some stress from transplanting.
add a little multi purpose feed to the soil pot or garden, this will be available for the roots come spring as the Rose begins to start growing again, once it begins to make new growth you can also add a small amount of Rose feed or Multi purpose feed around the roots and gently fork in, be careful not to damage the roots as you fork around the plant, water well and keep an eye on it, you will soon see either good new growth or signs of any problems, I would also wrap the pot (not the whole plant) in say bubble wrap to protect the pot from hard frost IF that is the norm in your area.
Hope this helps you out and your treasured Rose will bloom for many more years in your sisters memory.

Take good care and good luck. Weenel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America