Photo by Melody

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: CLOSED: 2nd Annual Neck of the Woods Swap Page 3

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 132, Views: 788
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2011
3:37 PM

Post #8858535

Just like last year, we’re sharing food items that are popular either where we live now or places where we have lived.

A few suggestions to get you thinking are spices or rubs, salsas or sauces, sparkling cider or wine, pickles or relishes, honey or molasses, cheeses or breads, jams or jellies -- just to name a few. You’re welcome to make home made goodies if you’re handy in the kitchen or go shopping for your Buddy.

Fall is also the perfect time to share Spring and Summer blooming bulbs, divisions of Perennials you’re already growing, freshly harvested seeds, or other gardening items that fit within your budget.

Our previous thread is here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1223265/

Rules and Guidelines…

There aren’t any changes from last year. The value of our items should be $20, less the cost of Priority Mail with a Delivery Confirmation number. For privacy, tracking numbers should never be posted on our threads. Instead keep your receipt handy or D-mail me the number you use.

Please mail your packages no later than the week of October 17th.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Click the image for an enlarged view.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2011
3:38 PM

Post #8858536

Participants:

ClanCampbell / Chris -- > RECEIVED FROM taters55
Love flower smelling candles, but not food smells;
no allergies, so anything goes; love all nuts (notice I'm refraining from the very enticing joke right here???)
do like to try regional spices and sauces (specially BBQ and spicy stuff)

Cris316 / Cris -- > RECEIVED FROM Crit
Allergic to bananas & grapes. Love baked goods & chocolate. Have 6 cats in feral colony & 2 house cats. Most of yard in full sun, average soil.
We recently painted our home a medium shade of grey & looking for vibrant blue/purple flowers or reds to go into our new white window boxes. I'll give any flower a whirl if you don't have WB types. Don't like datura & not partial to yellow flowers (although both are growing wild in my yard).

Crit / Patti -- > RECEIVED FROM Mandy97
No allergies. I love homemade goodies. Have a large partly shaded flower bed I need tough plants that are drought resistant and thrive in lousy clay soil. Have dogs, donkeys and horses.

deejay9 / Susie -- > RECEIVED FROM lizrainey

froggiesgirl / Julie -- > RECEIVED FROM FruitOfTheVine

FruitOfTheVine / Susan -- >RECEIVED FROM froggies_girl and Tina_A. froggies_girl joined us after names were assigned so she and I swapped directly. Tina_A was my assigned buddy.
No food allergies. My beds, except a small one that gets a bit of morning sun, are in Full Sun. Love dark chocolate, wines from other locals, and homemade goodies...anything goes from jams to spicy salsas.

happgarden / Joyce -- > RECEIVED FROM ordairygirl
No food allergies, love chocolate, love plants, have sun, shade, part-shade, have a small water garden, love wines, have 2 basset hounds, 1 black lab, 1 wire terrier, 1 black cat, and some koi. If someone wanted to make me a sign for the garden shed I would love it or anything homemade.

lizrainey / Liz -- > RECEIVED FROM rouxcrew
No cheese products please. I have no food restrictions or allergies; I likes homemade things, jams, jellies, chocolates, also wines, beers, seeds; charms for my bracelet.

Mandy97 / Mandy -- > RECEIVED FROM FruitOfTheVine
I don't have any food allergies, and I am interested in homemade goodies (jams, baked goods), local stuff (wines, syrups), bulbs and seeds (zone 5 hardy, mostly sunny areas - a few partially shady).

ordairygirl / Tessa -- > RECEIVED FROM ClanCampbell
Willing to grow anything you send me. Allergic to garlic powder. (can do fresh garlic, I know its weird).

rouxcrew / Joy -- > RECEIVED FROM Cris316
Allergic to Shrimp. No smelly candles please, love regional fare, spices, and hot stuff, flowering plants, outside things. Surprises.
No houseplants please, I don't have safe places.

Sundownr / Bev -- > RECEIVED FROM deejay9
I live in zone 6a, have a small shady yard with a tiny goldfish pond and a few miniature gardens. I grow herbs, fruits, and veggies in the few sunny spots I have, and starting a rain garden in our low area (in dapple shade). I don't have any healthy spaces for house plants. The house trim is cocoa brown and I try to plant shade-loving peach or maroon flowers when I can find them. I do not care for fragrant candles or soaps. Allergic to bananas, but tolerate the quantities in breads (thank goodness because I love them). I collect "old-timey" cookbooks and recipes, specifically Appalachian and New England based. I love dark chocolate, chutneys, all nuts, arts & crafts, and will certainly enjoy any homemade goodies sent.

taters55 / LK -- > RECEIVED FROM warriorswisdomkathy
No allergies, all plants need to be for full hot Texas sun.

Tina_A / Tina -- > RECEIVED FROM Sundownr
I'm allergic to most flowery scents except rose and vegetable scents don't bother me either. I'm also allergic to bananas, avocadoes, and latex. I love baked goods and most everything else, especially dark chocolate, except fish.

warriorswisdomkathy / Kathy -- > RECEIVED FROM happgarden
No alergies, love chocolate, garden signs could be wonderful addition (English Cottage type garden) Love most any plant,very little shade (no beds there yet).. Love plants of ALL sizes, especially the tall ones, need more for the back of the border. Pink, purple, white, blue & red are favs, Zone 5, 6800 - 6900 feet above sea level.

Cville_Gardener / Carole -- Staying to chat!

This message was edited Nov 4, 2011 5:04 PM
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 21, 2011
4:59 PM

Post #8858617

no susie i dont my mil use to make it i should of watched her more close :(
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 21, 2011
8:19 PM

Post #8858783

Crit, you're not the only one whose box won't get in
the mail until Monday. I too am a bit behind.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2011
6:05 AM

Post #8858961

Uhhh, hanging head in shame with Crit, running late, who knew I would have sooooo much trouble finding something I really wanted made here! But located it this morning on the internet so will pick up this afternoon and mail out next week.

ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2011
6:23 AM

Post #8858979

Mine went out Thursday, so should be there anyday- sure keeping my fingers crossed that everything made it ok!! AND- in my note, I forgot to warn my buddy to dig all the way down to the bottom of the box LOL... so you are now officially warned.. whoever you are :)
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2011
6:49 AM

Post #8859010

OK gals... you have made me feel better now! ^_^

So, on to my wonderful box from Mandy57:

First off you may notice the bottle of wine! (mine...all mine... not sharing. lol) This is from one of the oldest wineries that she passes on her way to work.

Then a big ole hunk of blueberry bread freshly made by Mandy and to go along with it a bottle of blueberry/apple juice. This will be my breakfast this morning! Might save a little taste for DH.

Next is a jar of stawberry jam made by Mandy and her mother. This is something they do every spring.

A bite of chocolate caramel from South Bend. It is already gone...didn't last 10 minutes! lol Yuuuuuuuummmmmmmy!

A jug of Michigan maple syrup. May have to make pancakes tomorrow!

A lovely pot holder that will match the light green in my kitchen. Did you make this one mandy????

A recipe for "Baked Apple-Stuffed French Toast". 1st place winner in 2011 !!!! WOW. May make this instead of pancakes to use the syrup on. MMM-mmmm-mmmm Sounds wonderful

Some literature about her county and Michigan.

Just WONDERFUL Mandy! Thank you so much. What a terrific box. You done good girl! ^_^

Thumbnail by Crit

lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 22, 2011
6:18 PM

Post #8859648

nice box looks yummy
Mandy97
Paw Paw, MI

October 22, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8859667

I didn't make the potholder, but found it at the farmer's market, and laughed when I noticed it was a pattern made of celery. I had to pick it up for this swap. Glad it all arrived intact and will be enjoyed! :)

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

October 22, 2011
7:41 PM

Post #8859712

Yummy stuff you got, Crit! I had so much fun at the Fall Garden Festival! Was a little piece of heaven! Bought some really nice plants. will have to post some pics later. I am exhausted, but it is a good kind of tired!

I mailed my box Thursday, so hope my buddy gets it Monday! love, julieanne

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2011

Post #8859970

Susie and Patti, you girls received some mighty fine swap boxes there!! I hope you enjoy your goodies as much as I've enjoyed mine (from Susie).

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 23, 2011

Post #8859971

I got all my stuff ready so it will go out next week. Sorry for the delay, I just didn't think it would take so long to arrive here.

Great box there Crit. Share the receipe for the french toast that sounds amazing!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 23, 2011
12:37 PM

Post #8860417

Stoopid internet problems kicked me off last night just as I got on. Thought I'd never figure out the problem this morning.

Very nice, Patti. How was the wine...lol
Mandy, thank you for such a fantastic job!

I know several boxes have been mailed and probably a couple were received. Wave if you've received yours. Also if you haven't checked in for a while please pop in!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2011
3:10 PM

Post #8861978

As you all know, froggies_girl joined us after names were assigned, so she and I are the only ones exchanging directly.

Got my box from you today, Julie, chocked full with…..

A sweet hand written note and card
2 ripe Persimmons
Crunchy Granola in the cone-shaped bag
Beef Jerky
Fresh Pasta from a local restaurant
Do It All Seasoning and Dry Rub (smells wonderful)
Bear of Gautier Gold Honey
Rouses Muscadine Jelly (Yum! We had muscadine vines when I was growing up, one of my favorite fruits.)
Easter Cacti Cuttings
Cows Milk “Honey Almond” hand lotion and matching balls of soap with a nice clean scent
Café Du Monde Beignet Mix (French doughnut mix from this World famous New Orleans icon) This is probably the closest I’ll ever get to New Orleans.

Thanks so much, Julie. Great job! Love your thoughtfulness and you too, girlie :)

lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 24, 2011
4:40 PM

Post #8862086

oh wow cool box love persimmons have one tree of each kind
fantastic swap cant wait till the next one.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2011
4:53 PM

Post #8862101

Nice box of goodies!
Tina_A
Caddo Mills, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 24, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8862248

Bev,
Thank you so much for my box of wonderful goodies. I will post pictures later on tonight since I'm on metered download. My mother, who is here to help me with my arm, is so impressed with all that Bev sent me. I got
Autumn Olive Jam
Seedless Blackberry Jam, which just so happen to be my favorite jam
Mixed Fruit Chutney
Pear Honey
Glace Pears, OMG this are wonderful
Dried Apples
Apple Walnut Chocolate Mint Bread
Chocolate Mint, I grow this, but never thought about drying it
Acorn Cap candles
Quart Jar
Sour Saqlly, which is sourdough starter
Can clothes, this are so cute.
I told my mom that I want to live by Bev so I could enjoy this treats all the time. Thank you so much for everything including the recipes and the websites. I hope that everyone in your life appreciates you for the things that you do, because I sure do. Tina
Tina_A
Caddo Mills, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 24, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8862253

My buddy your box is packed, letter typed, and will definitely be mailed tomorrow. I hope you enjoy your box as much as I enjoyed mine.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 24, 2011
6:58 PM

Post #8862299

Hi all, sorry haven't checked in for a while, busy, busy. Just finished planting a batch of iris ( 637 in three days, and have 30 more trays yet, whew ) I need a couple more good weeks of good planting weather yet so I can finish. I'm so sorry I haven't gotten my package out yet, have all the goodies, just have to get them boxed and sent. 'Spose to rain and s--w Tues. and Wed., yuchhhh! Spent last week sitting the grandkids who were out of school, shame it was such nice weather, lol. What wonderful boxes of goodies, its fun to see what others are getting. Sure am glad I ate supper before coming into this room, Lol. Have to git, am still drawing up plans for backyard landscaping. Got a section weeded and rototilled and just about ready for planting, hopefully I can start this weekend. Hey Fruit do you like Salvia victoria and are they hardy for you? (let me know). Hope everyone has a great evening, Kathy. Pix is Passiflora carulea, got 2 that need planting yet, lol. Later all.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8862345

Susan, Those are some really mouth-watering goodies from Julie!! I doubt I'll ever make it to New Orleans either, one of the places I've always wanted to visit!

Tina, I'm so glad all those glass jars made it to you in good shape!! I hope you and your mom enjoy the goodies and have fun with the sourdough! Take care of that arm, too!!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2011
7:59 PM

Post #8862400

Kathy, how on Earth do you keep going? I need some of your energy. Salvias, agastaches and mints are among my fav plants but sadly Victoria an annual in my zone. If only I lived a few hours South...

Tina, you just got a box of love from Virginia! I'm so glad your Mom is still there helping you and your arm is starting to heal. Did the dr's ever figure out what bit you? I've eaten Glace Pears and agree they are melt in your mouth good. Never heard of Autumn Olive Jam? But then again, I've never met an olive I didn't like.

Thanks, Bev, for making Tina's day :) New Orleans is on my bucket list too and wouldn't be able to wait to wrap my mouth around a plate of fresh Gulf Shrimp and enjoy exploring the city's architecture.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2011
8:10 PM

Post #8862410

Susan, The Autumn Olives are a bit tart, but fantastic berries (info & recipes: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1758/)! Sounds like we would be eating and looking at the same things if we went to New Orleans, lol!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2011
10:48 AM

Post #8863178

My buddies box will go out on Wednesday. We hit a little heat wave and decided to hold off til we cool down on Wednesday. Course I love the heat wave but not sure the box would...

Great boxes coming in from every where and love the receipes!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2011
2:51 PM

Post #8863428

Bev, that's very interesting and don't think I've ever seen those growing here. If I have, I didn't know what they were.

Isn't Honey so far the most popular food item sent? West Virginia has delicious honeys. Wish I remembered the name of the store in Proctor, waaayyy up on top of a mountain on a twisty narrow road. Will never forget it was snowing at Thanksgiving and the store owner turned on heat lamps next to her bee displays so we could watch them wake up. That was another fun day spent with my SIL.
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8863470

I got my boxxxxx.. I got my boooooxxxxxx... woohoo!

LK, our own miss Tater, sure did a terrific job with sending me stuff! Wow!

I got a cute magnet in the shape of TX with 'bluebonnets' attached to it and a little angel wearing a cowboy hat- they both say Del Rio, TX (did you make these? They're adorable!)
A bottle of Blush wine.. will have to either hide it from or share it with my son and DDIL lol
2 packages of bluebonnet seeds .. yay!
Dallas Cowboy BBQ sauce
Stubbs honey pecan BBQ sauce (Can't wait to try this on some pork ribs!!)
2 bags of nuts- pecans and walnuts
Honey (LOL.. continuing the tradition, right Fruity??)
A TX mug
a pot holder in the shape of TX with bluebonnets on the front and denim on the back
And I'm being a dork- what is the other item, LK?? I thought it might be to hold a bottle of wine, since it has the ties on it- anyway, it's made out of the same bluebonnet material.

I love it all.. being a born and raised Texan, I love getting these goodies from you!!

thank you so very, very much ^_^

Thumbnail by ClanCampbell

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8863510

Good for you, Chris! You know what, we have Stubbs products here too and never realized they're made in TX and have used it a lot to make BBQ chicken. The honey tradition continues and so do the different wines.

Thanks for the great job, LK :)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2011
4:51 PM

Post #8863572

Sp glad you got your box, and it looks like nothing was broken! Yes, it is a wine bottle wrap..
I can't take credit for making the magnet, or the angel. I found them at a little curio shop I found in old part of down town.

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

October 25, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8863609

Beautiful gifts for you girls. FOTV, so glad you liked your goodies. I love beignets. Just make sure the oil is hot when you fry them and I always shake mine twice in powdered sugar. kids love them, too! Gotta make them this coming Sunday for breakfast. LOL

I am going full blast trying to get my business going. Its not easy when I still have household things to do, the kids after school activities, and so on. Got the webiste almost done. As soon as its, ready, I'll reveal it!

love to all and ENJOY those goodies!
julieanne
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8863705

How exciting for you, Julie!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2011
7:48 PM

Post #8863835

What kind of business Julie?
Tina_A
Caddo Mills, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2011
3:06 AM

Post #8864058

Here are the pictures from my box from Sundownr

Thumbnail by Tina_A

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2011
3:15 AM

Post #8864061

Gee whiz, the pictures in the swaps right now are making my tummy growl. ^_^ Beautiful things all around. I'm lovin' just lookin' at it all. Fun!
Tina_A
Caddo Mills, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2011
3:24 AM

Post #8864066

This is the 2nd one

Thumbnail by Tina_A

Tina_A
Caddo Mills, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2011
3:26 AM

Post #8864068

Here is the final picture

Thumbnail by Tina_A

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2011
8:10 AM

Post #8864337

Ok, here is a great basket I received and a horrible comedy of errors that took place with it.
First I want to thank ordairygirl for the greatest box and everything arrived in perfect shape.
There was some kind of problem in the delivery of the box, it arrived on a Saturday cause I was home and it should of been there on Thursday (I think), the po person told me the tracking number had been torn and some other reasons why it was late, but heavens I don't remember, this all happened on October 15th! Course I rush in and opened everything and wanted to post a picture and be sure and let her know everything arrived in great shape and how much I like everything before it all disappeared, which I did, I know I did...but I can't find the post anywhere! So poor ordairygirl can't track the package because it never shows delivered, then my post to the forum is off in cyperland somewhere, you can only imagine how she was feeling!

So finally better late than never, glad I kept the pic because other than the seed collector (which I love) about everything else has been eaten! rofl. Let me apologize ordairygirl cause I am going from memory, I don't have the card with me, it is at home. (Yes, I do keep them)

First off the seed collector box, with metal containers (you can see thru the lid), seed baggies (two sizes), and seeds! It is just the coolest thing, in the card she said I could put it in the car for my covert operations...rofl, my reputation is preceeding me...rofl. But it is just the greatest idea! Did you decorate the box, I just love it and yes it is in my car and has been since I got thru playing with it. Going from memory I think the seeds were hollyhocks.

Second, the card is so cute, can you see she marked her place and mine on the map. Really cute.

Third, 2 Idaho Spud candy bars, I know their is only one in the photo but two came in the box...rofl.

Fourth, Granola bars, I got one of them, but DH helped with the other...LOL They were really good, most and chocked full.

Fifth, following the tradition, Honey, but not ordinary honey, whipped honey, ordairygirl said she had this when she was a kid with her Dad. I think I posted I need the french toast receipe to use my whipped honey on.

Sixth, Some Dude's Fry Sauce, ordairygirl says where she is from almost all the restuarants have their own variety of dipping sauce and I can tell you DH and my nephew went to town on the dipping sauce, it was really good and something I had never seen.

Seventh: Teriaki sauce made by a gentleman close to where she lives. I can tell you we have really used that, we do alot of stir frying and it is great.

Eighth: Popcorn ball in the shape of an ear of corn...rofl. That was mine I took that and hid it from all the crumb snatchers around my place, and it WAS good.

Like I said everything WAS great...rofl and I am sooo sorry for the crazyness with the box. I always worry about boxes when I send them and I always post at least a comment about receiving them if I don't get a chance to thank someone right away with a pic.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2011
8:12 AM

Post #8864341

Uhhh... Pictures please?
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2011
8:13 AM

Post #8864342

OK, the errors never end, I forgot the pic! rofl...

Thank you ordairygirl

My buddies is going out today!

Thumbnail by happgarden

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2011
8:16 AM

Post #8864345

So glad you got your box! Love all those things!
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2011
2:59 PM

Post #8864810

Doing a happy dance because my box is Finally on its way out.
Didn't think it was That heavy but the postage was hefty.
it is insured & has delivery confirmation on it.
ordairygirl
Nyssa, OR
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2011
3:05 PM

Post #8864814

So glad that you got your box happgarden...I did decorate the front of the seed collecting box myself. I need to make myself one of those =)
I got my box yesterday but am just now getting time to post. My box came from Iowa and Chris (clancampbell). Luckily for the hint she included to dig to the bottom of the box I found my favorite thing...a fairy made out of metal. This will look great in a pot on my front porch. She sent a book and DVD from Iowa DOT that shows native flowers. Our climates must be fairly similar because I recognized a lot of flowers that I can grow here in my garden. Then there is a CD of Prairie sounds, I haven't got a chance to play it yet, but should work good to cover up the sounds of my children screaming =) Next there was a cookbook form the local ymca/ywca with lots of good recipes. I love these types of cookbooks because they are recipes that "real people" actually make and have short ingredient lists.
This box just keeps going...A jar of rosemary jelly (planning to use on my chicken tonight for dinner) and a jar of butter rum creme honey (that sounds like heaven in a jar). The cutest little pink pig molded chocolate. I told my kids it was soap so they wouldn't run off with it. Finally, a little jar of Kermit's wonderful skincare. In my dry climate we use any kind of lubrication to keep our skin form just flaking off in the winter. Its a nice thick cream and smells like roses.
So impressed with the generosity and variety. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Digital camera is on the fritz...I'll see what I can do with a webcam in a future post to get you a picture.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8864868

Tessa, we can breathe a sign of relief :) What a very nice box of goodies you sent to happ and have received from Chris. Excellent job, Ladies!
happ, You have no idea how worried we were. Knowing how dufus USPS can be sometimes, we just kept thinking and hoping your goodies would show up and all be intact. That is a cool way to save seeds and the neatest idea of printing a map card too.

ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8864993

So glad everything got there in one piece! Putting glass jars in with that fairy had me worried.. lol And I thought that butter rum creme honey sounded so good.. see, Fruitness, I too sent the honey lol..

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2011
6:03 PM

Post #8865092

Susan, I'm taking our local honey to my family and friends in southern WV. They're having a hard time finding any of their own local honey due to the colony collapse disease and long-time beekeepers retiring!

Chris, LK did a fine job sending that swap box... yummm!

Joyce/happ, Tessa did a great job, too!! Love the seed box and granola... OMG!!!!

Tina, I don't remember if I mentioned that the can clothes for the sourdough jar is supposed to fit a 2-quart jar (that's why it's a little long for the 1-quart jar). I couldn't get a 2-quart in a box, lol. Hope you enjoy everything!

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2011
8:14 PM

Post #8865275

Fruity I had noticed this weekend you didn't have me marked as recv'd but just figured you were busy...rofl.

Honey in this swap is like socks in the Halloween swap...rofl.
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 27, 2011
5:26 AM

Post #8865467

what a nice box wow look at the goodies
fruity thank you wonderful swap!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2011
5:55 AM

Post #8865510

http://davesgarden.com/contest/2011-photography-contest/
Her is the link if anyone is interested in the photo contest.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2011
11:13 AM

Post #8865892

I think I have everything ready for my box. Some of the things are actually from Tulsa, not just Oklahoma. One item is made about 20 minutes from me in Cleveland, OK. I think that is pretty cool. I am, however, going to break the 'honey tradition'. The couple that usually sets at the corner of the highway which I take when I go into town have not been there. I don't go to town as much since I'm not working, but they haven't been there when I've been by. :-)

I just have to type up my letter. Guess I should of done that before I got it all packed tightly in the box, huh? Sheesh! Oh well ... I'll have to peek in the box as I do the letter and hope I don't miss anything. I think most of it is self explanitory.

Have to go...won't make the postman today but hopefully tomorrow.

34* here tonight with possible freezing temps in some places. I brought some stuff in because I thought it was last night, then heard it was tomorrow night so I left the rest for today. Better get after it!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2011
1:31 PM

Post #8866033

Oh Buddy Buddy, your box finally left Missouri, don't know why that was so tough but it was not an easy feat. Went to Crown Center shopping center(owned by Hallmark) to mail the package and they had removed that po satition, so I go back to the car and drive to the main big po and 3/4 of the parking lot in front of po is torn up, there are 5 school buses parked every angle, and only 2 places to park around a circle...very odd. Go in can't find my debit card, still haven't found that, so have to use my credit card, I was so concerned about the card and the guy didn't ask me for tracking so he completes the transaction, then I realize, so I tell him, course he rings that up and this is really sad, I can't find 70cents in my purse, so I have to go out to the car to my stash of money, then get back in line and finally get it rang up...wowzer a typical day in the neighborhood! ROFL. All my close friends are so organzied, I think they keep me around either to try and save me, or just for the entertainment factor...rofl. I did double check and I did mail it to the correct person, I was beginning to wonder with so many things happening!

Crit I did a really nice card for my package, but I am pretty sure it didn't make it. But I did stick a very short note in the box at least saying who it was from ... ;)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2011
1:47 PM

Post #8866050

My Neck of the Woods was brightened today with a box of wonderful goodies from Tina_A. Her letter explained the most beloved place she has lived was in Japan.

Authentic Japanese foods and drinks…
Bowl of Udon Noodles
Bottle of Sake
Hello Kitty candies
Melon Hi-Chews (fruit…lol)
Oolong Tea bags
Marble Drink

Chocolates galore…
Dark Chocolate Spread (yum!)
Mayan Pepper Chai Chocolate Bar
Dark Chocolate Bar
Pina Colada Milk Chocolate Bar
Coconut Cocoa Tea Bags

Jalapeno Blueberry Jelly (we love this stuff slathered on pork)

And…ta da…a bottle of Texas Clover Honey made by a friend.

Tina, the past few weeks have been a difficult time for you healing and really do appreciate your extra effort gathering and sharing with me. Those are very special items from Japan, and trust me, I will savor each bite of the chocolates. Fabulous job, Girlfriend! Thank you so much :)

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2011
1:51 PM

Post #8866061

That is so nice, what a great idea.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8866183

Susan, OMG, yumm, what a great box of goodies from Tina!!

Tina, I hope your arm is doing better girl!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8866261

Like New Orleans, that's probably as close to Japan as I'll get, too. I haven't had Sake since I lived in Northern California many moons ago when it was a must-have to wash down sushi. I did get to go to Hawaii and will never forget how I thought every bush and plant were so lush and awash in blooms.

A couple of you are in the process of mailing, which is fine, and the updated list below reflects boxes I know are on their way, those soon to be, and the folks who are waiting for them:

Cris316 (in process)
froggies_girl (your package has been mailed)
rouxcrew (your package has been mailed)
taters55 (in process)
warriorswisdomkathy (your package has been mailed)

We're rocking along nicely and am enjoying the diversity of goodies each of us has received and those that will be soon.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2011
7:22 AM

Post #8866815

Tina... I think I must of missed something. What happened to your arm?

All the goodies are just WONDERFUL!
Tina_A
Caddo Mills, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2011
5:52 AM

Post #8867777

Crit,
I got bit by a spider at the end of September. I ended up in the hospital for 3.5 days and a big gaping wound now..lol My mother came from North Dakota to help take care of me and my arm. The arm is doing much better now, but there will be some scarring. The surgeon is very happy with it though.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2011
6:25 AM

Post #8867805

OUCH! Sounds like it was a brown recluse?

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2011
6:33 AM

Post #8867811

Oh Tina how awful for you! Glad it's on the mend now!!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2011
7:43 AM

Post #8867865

UGH!!! Sure sounds like a brown recluse!

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

October 29, 2011
9:18 AM

Post #8867958

Oh, I gotta come back tonight and catch up. Having a Halloween party for the kids tonight so I gotta go do spooky things! love you all, julie

BTW, my business is called Growing Memories and I will offer foilage plants, seasonal plants, and trees for special occasions. It is something I can do from home. I will be posting the website soon! love, julie
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2011
12:24 PM

Post #8868165

The box I shipped should arrive by Monday.

This message was edited Oct 29, 2011 2:28 PM

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

October 29, 2011

Post #8868445

Thank you, FOTV! Got my box, but haven't had a chance to open it because of the Halloween party. I am sneaking this in while they eat! Will open later when I have a chance to savor every goodie! Post pics tomorrow. love you all, julie
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8868490

It sounds like you're Ghoulies are having a fun time! Sure hope nothing was rattling around, or worse yet, leaking out of the box. I insured it, just in case.

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

October 29, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8868554

Sneaking on again. Didn't hear any rattling and now sign of leakage! I can't wait to open it! love ya, julie

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2011
9:40 AM

Post #8869147

Can't wait to see what you got Julie!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8869535

Fat chance after the party last night there's much left in the baggie of chocolate-covered peanuts...lol

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

October 30, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8869669

Ha! Kids didn't get to see me open the box, but you are right! With 8 at the party and then 6 that stayed overnight and today (ages 12-15) they were eating everything in sight!

FOTV, the package was perfect! Here are all of my goodies. haven't had a chance to take a pic yet because I peeked inside while the kids were distracted and wrote down the goodies. Will unpack the box tomorrow.
1. A beautiful note card with butterflies on it (I love butterflies)
2. Gunter's Pure Sourwood Honey from Berryville, VA
3. Yummy chocolate covered peanuts (and yes, they are yummy!)
4. Big Spring Mill Seasoned Flour (this stuff is good; FOTV sent me some last year!)
5. Teays Vallley cornbread Mix (come in handy for the holidays coming up since I always make cornbread dressing)
6. Roasted peanuts ( I love them roasted! Can't stand boiled peanuts!)
7. Dutch Kettle Homemade Peach Preserves ( can't wait to put this on a biscuit full of butter!)
8. Hiatt's Chow Chow (never ate chow chow before, but never too old to try something new!)
9. Relish Barn Bread and Butter Pickles (gonna share these with my mom- she loves bread and butter pickles)

So, FOTV spoiled me again with a box full of goodies! Thank you so much, sweetie!

Everyone stay warm. love, julieanne
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8869730

What a relief knowing the jarred items made it intact. I'm so glad I sent you something new to try! Chow Chow is basically a cabbage and onion relish that can be either sweet or spicy. Pretty sure the one I picked for you is spicy. My Mom used to make hers hot with chilli peppers, and it was delicious, especially on a cold Winter's night, with just a spoonful on top of any kind of greens or beans. And there's nothing like hot buttered cornbread on the side. Try it and see what you think.

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2011
10:42 AM

Post #8870525

Yummy, yummy, yummy in my tummy ... AND MY MOUTH!!!!!!

Just had a sandwich of real butter and homemade strawberry jam!!!! Honestly... terrific. Now if I can keep DH away from it. He LOVES strawberry jam!!! Thank you, thank you Mandy! I have the wine in the fridge for 'just the right time'.

I use to make jar upon jar of strawberry freezer jam when my kids were growing up. It was a family favorite. Kinda hard to ship though. lol Guess I could use dry ice. Hmmmmm, maybe I DO need to make some more!
Mandy97
Paw Paw, MI

October 31, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8870922

Glad you liked it! I like to spread it on fresh from the oven biscuits, especially in the middle of winter. It reminds me that spring will be here again and taste like that when the June strawberries arrive. :)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8871090

LOL, Patti! I never knew you had such a penchant for strawberries. Me too and I'm with you, Mandy, can't wait to go picking next Spring. We have several local Strawberry farms and think I probably eat half as many as I pick in the fields. Hubby doesn't have much of a sweet tooth but never turns down Strawberry Shortcake or jam on a hot buttered biscuit.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 31, 2011
8:18 PM

Post #8871258

Fruity, what do you pay for pick your own strawberries? I think that the ones around here are ludicrious, over $4 a pound and don't taste like fresh off the "vine".

Joy

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2011
9:32 PM

Post #8871378

Julieanne, I dearly love all the things you got from Susan!! Chow chow with brown beans... so yummmy, and oooh my, I'll be craving peach preserves now until I find some, lol!!! I haven't had them in years.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2011
8:15 AM

Post #8871738

I absolutly LOVE anything with peaches! Fresh, jam, cobbler, pie, etc.

My buddies box is in the air. Fruity, I will get the tracking number to you.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 1, 2011
6:33 PM

Post #8872598

My package went out today and should arrive Thurs. Oh ya, got my box of goodies YEAH!! MY package is from Happgarden; 2-Cherry Mash candy bars; 2 Valomilk candy bars; 1 bag of cheese popcorn; 1 bag of carmel popcorn; 1 teatowel Halloween themed; 1 postcard of Kansas City; 1 box of Russell Stover candy; 1 bottle of Jack Stack Barbecue Sauce (KC origional); 1 bottle of Gates (KC own BBQ Sauce); 1 jar of Grandpa's Orchard Cherry Jelly; 1 large package of seasoning sampler including: Italian Seasoning, Origional BBQ Spice, Chile Powder, Whole Oregono, Ground Cinnamon, Parsley Flakes, Black Pepper, Whole Sweet Basil, Onion Flakes, Paprika. 1 wooden ruler from Planter's Seed with planting info for veggies on the back, (the seasonings were from the same company)., and of course I got a wonderful little garden gnome (already put into a pot). What a wonderful box of goodies !!!!! Thankyou Happgarden!!! Hope I didn't miss anything as I wrote out what was in the box when I opened it and can't find it now, lol. No pix as I still need a doo hinky thing-a-ma-jig for downloading pix, willl try and get this week. Blizzard on it's way in tonight, 9" of blowing snow, YUCH! Pix is Adenophora lilifolia (campanula relative at 30") Later gals, Kathy.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2011
8:26 PM

Post #8872740

You gals are on the ball getting your packages out. Thank you!

Kathy, What an amazing box that must have been filled to the brim. That Jack Stack and Gates BBQ sauce and selection of herbs have my mouth watering.

Thank you, happ, for another great job and for being so generous!

Joy, One nearby Strawberry farm charges $2.50 a pound for pick-your-own or $3.50 if they pick with an advanced notice. No thank you, but I have bought fresh Asparagus from them. By far the most popular pick-your-own Strawberries farm only charged $1.10 per pound last Spring. It's a family operation that's been in business since 1992 and they have an amazing operation.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2011
8:37 PM

Post #8872753

Kathy, Yum, what a great box of goodies for Joyce to send!! I put ribs in the fridge to marinate in BBQ sauce for dinner tomorrow night... coulda used some of that Jack Stack, lol! Stay warm!!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 2, 2011
7:31 AM

Post #8873134

Hope the candy and pop corn didn't taste like spices or the soap...that does always worry me, I tied everything in their own bag in hopes they stayed in their own bag... LOL
The spices came from Planters Seeds and Spices, they have been in business here for 77 years and are known for their fresh spices. They also carry all kinds of seeds and some of the best bulbs I have ever seen. They have amaryllis bulbs right now that are 5 to 6 inches across almost takes two hands to carry...rofl, course they are 20.00 so I don't buy any until they get discounted alot, they also have some of the most beautiful ceramic pots, and yard ornaments most of which I can't afford either ;) but sure a fun place to look. Enjoy, and have fun in your snow and "thanks" for sharing...rofl, we are suppose to get snow this evening, but just a tiny bit, nothing like you poor east coast folks.
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 2, 2011
11:43 AM

Post #8873389

Received a yummy box from Crit :)
But silly me cannot find my camera. So here is the list of goodies - all made locally in OK.
A large bottle of Griffin syrup and a pancake mix to go with it. Breakfast in the morning:)
Couple of corn bread mixes which will go well with the soup I made today.
Then she put in some meat marinades that my DH has already abscounded
with & don't know where they went to. (Nick's very into marinades so this was perfect,
so he wouldn't feel left out.)
Then there's coffee that smells wonderful.
Crit remembered my request for window box flowers and put several packages in.
She also included a tissue box from the Univ of OK and last but certainly not least
a reusable Pink Ribbon bag with huge flowers on it.
Thank you so much for such a lovely gift box everything is very much appreciated.

This message was edited Nov 2, 2011 8:34 PM

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 2, 2011
7:42 PM

Post #8873937

Got my box today from Cris, it's a little worse for wear but here. Don't have time tonight to put down what I got, I will try and take a break in the morning to get my list and a picture.

Joy
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 3, 2011
11:24 AM

Post #8874835

Joy,
If you notice the box IS insured so if stuff is truly inedible or damaged please let me know.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8875129

Evening all you NOWS (Neck of the Woods Swappers...lol )

Thank goodness, Joy. It must have gone on a sight-seeing tour.

Cause that sure was a strange trip, huh, Cris?

Hang on, LK, your goodies have been mailed and should arrive any day now, pending any detours.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 3, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8875156

No hurry! Any day I get a swap box is a lovely surprise!

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 3, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8875418

Nothing was damaged other than a little packaging. It is sitting in my HHR at the moment, I am in the middle of a clinic and didn't bring it in to get pictures. Kinda hard with 11 people at the house. Tomorrow will be better, we are having chili, which I can put in a crock pot and walk away from. Cris also wrote about the various industries up her way, I really enjoyed the letter. I promise to share tomorrow. The 25 mph north winds today wore me out.

Joy

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 4, 2011
3:23 AM

Post #8875812

mail is bad right now for some reason I sent a package of cuttings to IND on the 25th along with a box to fla & SC the packages to FLA & SC Arrived on the 27th of oct but the one to ind just arrived yesterday figure that one out.
what got me was the fact i had conf & the PO Said they could not trace it last scan was GRAND RAPIDS . i still do not know what shape the cuttings were in have not heard yet , but sure i will have to replace a few .

well just waiting for daddy to wake just had to have my coffee ya all have a great day ,
nice packages hope everyone can fine their cameras to share with us .
susie

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8875974

I agree the post office all wonky right now, and it is not even the Holiday season!!! Pretty sad! I think I will pay the extra from now on for insurance just in case. But that means I need to save receipts, and take pictures before I send, but it may be worth it in case a box comes up missing!

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

November 4, 2011
6:58 AM

Post #8875992

Is the postal slow-down in certain areas, or just in general?
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2011
9:46 AM

Post #8876239

I wonder if the postal problems have to do with the recent snows?

I'm glad you like the box Chris, and that your DH got something in it too! There is another one they make that I have used. It is Southwest flavor. I was in Cleveland yesterday and was going to go by the Daddy Hinkle's store, but it got to be too late after grocery shopping. I think you can find them online if you like it like I do.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2011
12:54 PM

Post #8876459

Kathy, i got your box of goodies today! Wow, you really packed a nice box. Nothing was broken!

Let me start with a delicious tin of brownies. I think they are brownies, maybe fudge? Did you make them. They are really soft, so I have them in the fridge!
Then there are 4 different candles, all which smell really nice!
a Colorado calendar, a jar of honey, a jar of raspberry jalapeno jelly, a shot glass, a fridge magnet, a garden art stake of a pretty dragonfly, a package of rocky mountain blue columbine seeds, two very pretty rocks that will look nice in the garden, and some straws full of flavored ? Please tell me what is in the straws? And a piece of pyrite/fools gold!

Thanks so much for the wonderful box of Colorado items! I really like what you sent!

Thumbnail by taters55

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2011
3:09 PM

Post #8876670

Neat items, LK! Your dragonfly plant poke is adorable. Save a piece of that chocolate for me, don't care if it's brownies or fudge.
Excellent job, Kathy. Are you still up to your ears in snow? I want to know what's the in straws too...wonder if they go with the shot glass...lol

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 4, 2011
3:56 PM

Post #8876727

LOL. No sticks are from the same co. that made the honey and are in fact called Honey sticks,, paper that was wrapped around them listed which is which flavor. It is (spiked) Kirchwasser Fudge (cherry brandy). Hope its good, my bro. finished off what I brought home (made at my daughter's house, g kids helped) . Fudge is the marshmallow type (please enjoy!!!, yes was a bit soft, sorry) Some with English Walnuts. Thought you might like those rocks (lol), were from along the Clear Creek stream side. This area was heavily used by miners, several gold mines still in existance most within 15 miles of this area. In fact panning for golld often continues today, there is a man who teaches the public (you have to pay), how to pan for gold (just a few miles up the road from where I picked the rocks. Though about sending a bunch of sand from the creek but not sure if you would have been wanted, lol. Yes I did include some pyrite gold, fooled many miners, very sparkley. Shotglass can be used as such or maybe a small vase. The town in which it came from is one of the many mountain mining communities from back in the 1800"s. These days it is more famous for casinos,lol. The columbines are our State flower, growing wild in many places in the mountains, fields of blue, very pretty, if ya wanna see a great pix look for Maroon Bells (name of mountain), gorgeous area, might even be included in calender). Hope you enjoy and you willl have to tell me if you liked the fudge. Also wanted to let you know that fudge recipe is on Kraft marshmallows or on back lable of Carnation evaporatedmilk, some time around Christmas is listed on Nestle's choc. chip bag. Then I add the booze for flavoring. Have used Kirsh., and Grand Marnie (sp, oops), could probably try other flavors of booze if you like. Kathy.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8876744

Well, I had a piece of the fudge, YUM!!!! it is so good!

Thanks gain for all you sent.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2011

Post #8876837

I'm ever so grateful by the generosity each one of you have shown. We'll wrap this one up when you have time to post, Joy. Life on the farm is always busy for you and understand.
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 4, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8876927

Susie,

The conf was pretty screwy on the pkg to Joy. It went from my home town & 3 days
later posted as being in Dallas. It just showed Dallas for 5 days & finally the delivery.
Don't think it was the snow as we didn't have the storm that was predicted - just buckets
of rain & in Texas I think there's still a drought. Just think the PO is messed up!

Speaking of fudge Joy. The flavors are pumpkin, amaretto, almond joy and creamsicle.
I forgot to mark them for you.

Crit - I gobbled up the pancakes & syrup & it was wonderful. DH doesn't do carbs so
those products haven't been in my house for years. OH it really was a treat. Thank you again :)

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 4, 2011
7:55 PM

Post #8877069

Y'all hang on for two days. I am in Austin doing the Celtic Festival. Since our hay guy broke down today, he will be bringing us 49 round bales tomorrow so I am working the festival and Evan is staying home to unload hay. Got away without the box, so I can't even take pics till Sunday night. I am so sorry to be tardy.
Cris, I already figured out the Almond Joy Fudge. All I needed to see was the coconut and chocolate and it was done for.
At least I remembered the dogs and the stock,

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 4, 2011
8:23 PM

Post #8877089

nice box lk lots of goodies.

joy are those geese? i love them and ducks they make great pets.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2011
8:38 PM

Post #8877100

Thanks for a great swap Fruity!

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

November 4, 2011
9:45 PM

Post #8877132

Here is a pic of all the goodies FOTV sent me.

Thumbnail by froggies_girl

Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2011
5:38 PM

Post #8879415

Joy,
Are you into border collie herding? One of my neighbors did that for years.
It was always a fun thing to watch with the kids.
Wish I knew about your love of coconut & chocolate I would have included a
bunch of Mallow Cups lol.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8879469

The concentration on your face, Joy, says it all. How did you do? And look how long you've let your hair grow.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2011
7:38 AM

Post #8879989

Hi everyone. Just checking in, I haven't been online much lately.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 7, 2011
8:50 AM

Post #8880082

Hope you don't have too much damage from those earthquakes?
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2011
9:11 AM

Post #8880106

No damage here...Praise God!!!! We felt the rumblings but were fortunate to no damages.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8880833

I'm so glad you're OK, Patti! Some of the pics we saw on the news were brick houses that were reduced to crumbled bits...just unbelievable. It's hard to wrap my head around the damage and can't imagine how the folks that lived in those houses and lost everything must feel.

FEMA denied the claims for the folks that lost their homes to the tornadoes that ripped through SE Virginia last April. That area is only a couple of hours from where we live. Richmond, our Capitol, and surrounding areas are still trying to recover from the Earthquake damage we had back in August.

Ya just never know where Mother Nature will strike next, and how.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 7, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8880837

Cris, I train dogs for a living and have trialed Border Collies for over 20 years.
This was a demo for the festival, they pay me to come in and work dogs for the public. I am quite a hit.

Here is a pic of my box of goodies from Cris, starting with honey, two cans of cream of mushroom soup, four pieces of fudge, all different flavors, jalapeno popcorn, some spring herb dressing mix, saltwater taffy, brochures of the surrounding areas, an amaryllis and some paperwhite bulbs which are now in my refrigerator. She also sent me pots and soil to put my bulbs in, how thoughtful. She also included some Halloween gumpaste decorations for my cupcakes.
She included some info about her area, dairy farms around her sell milk to Land O' Lakes, grow vegetables for Campbell's soup, and tomatoes for Red Pack. Her town was once the "Oyster Capital of the World".

Thanks Fruity for a lovely swap and thanks Cris for an interesting box.

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8881421

Thanks Fruity. We had another 4.7 quake last night. We were also in a tornado and severe thunderstorm warning at the same time. WOW!!!!

I don't think any of the houses were totally destroyed from what we have been having. They are knocking brick off of houses, buckling roads a bit, etc. But it is unusual for us to be having EQ's that we can feel.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2011
2:15 PM

Post #8881867

Wow Patti! That is very scary!!!!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2011
2:37 PM

Post #8881904

Very nice, Joy.

Honey, I do believe, was by far the most popular item. Hubby bagged a 6-pointer today and we are going to try your jalapeno blueberry jelly on a piece of tenderloin tomorrow night, Tina, along with roasted veggies.

Thanks all you peeps for another fun romp through the Country and for generously sharing goodies from your Neck Of The Woods!

Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8882134

Patti, my thoughts & prayers are with you. I agree with Joy,
it has to be pretty scary.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 9, 2011
4:05 AM

Post #8882617

Do you have to have separate insurance for quake damage, or it is covered under your regular house insurance?
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2011
8:08 AM

Post #8882887

Quake insurance is seperate. I was going to check with the insurance company even though ...PRAISE GOD!...we had no damage. They are saying if you don't have it you are going to have to get on a waiting list to get it. There are some restrictions like how far you were from the epi center, etc. When I lived in Missouri it was mandatory you have it, as I was 3 miles from the fault line. But never had anything while I was there.

Speculation could be that it is instigated from the fracking of oil wells to push the oil toward the pumps, and that shifted things around.
Tina_A
Caddo Mills, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8883306

Susan,
I hope you enjoy your tenderloin today. Tell me how it taste please. I generally put it over softened cream cheese with some crackers and have a feast.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2011
1:57 PM

Post #8883318

More than 80 earthquakes of all magnitudes have been reported across the Oklahoma in the last 30 days, according to the Oklahoma Geological Survey (OGS). The 5.6 magnitude earthquake is the largest recorded earthquake to occur in Oklahoma since 1952.Oklahoma appears to have had a phase of heightened seismic activity since 2009 in terms of the frequency of earthquakes recorded in the state, as indicated by the OGS, however the intensity of these tremors is in line with what is deemed normal seismic activity. Oklahoma typically had about 50 earthquakes a year until 2009, the AP reports. In 2010, 1,047 quakes shook the state, prompting researchers to install seismographs in the area. Most of the earthquakes have been small. This was on an insurance reporting site.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8883845

Hubby's in charge of cooking venison and was preoccupied today with one of our neighbors that hunted the leased land. He parked his car at the edge of our field about 6 this morning and didn't come out until after 6 tonight. We were really starting to get worried about him being in the woods after dark. He sent a text this morning that said he saw a monster 8-pointer, but missed the opportunity to shoot because his nose was in a book...lol I always wondered how you could hug a tree for 12 hours and still stay occupied. There are Posted signs everywhere on the property, but we've seen people that are not members of the Hunt Club coming and going the past few days. It's a scary proposition not knowing who else is in the woods hunting, especially now that gun season is open. Anyway, our neighbor's fine and we'll have the tenderloin another night. Instead I baked chicken to go with roasted veggies. Does anybody like greens? A neighbor gave me free reign in her garden where I pulled up Turnips and picked several varieties of mustard greens. I'll eat the Turnips since hubby doesn't care for them. But I did saute the greens with a bit of olive oil, water, S&P, a few red pepper flakes, and a dash or two of hot pepper vinegar at the last minute. The greens were a mighty fine side dish to go with our roasted Butternut Squash and Roma Tomatoes.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2011
7:47 PM

Post #8883942

i tHOUGHT YOU ONLY DIG UP TURNIPS UP IN THE SPRING ??? You Plant in spring then dig up the next spring that is what I Have been told , was i missed informed ???

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 10, 2011
4:49 AM

Post #8884326

I have never grown them but this site says to harvest in the fall.

http://www.gardenguides.com/68787-harvest-turnips.html

Step 1
Tend the turnips carefully over the course of the growing season to ensure a bountiful harvest. Make sure the turnips receive at least 1 inch of water each week. For best results, water once per week deeply instead of lighter, more frequent watering. Lay down a 2-inch layer of mulch around the base of the plants to insulate the roots from heat and control weeds.

Step 2
Harvest some turnips very early for both the greens and the tiny roots that are ideal for eating raw. When the turnip leaves are between 4 and 6 inches long, carefully loosen the soil around the turnip root and remove it from the ground. Cut the greens from the roots immediately to prevent the roots from shriveling.

Step 3
Wait to harvest turnips for the roots until they are between 2 and 3 inches wide. Harvest all turnips before the soil freezes in the autumn. Loosen the soil around the turnip and dig it up from the soil. Cut the greens from the roots immediately to prevent the roots from shriveling.

Step 4
Store turnip unwashed turnip greens by wrapping them in moistened paper towels and placing them into a sealed plastic bag. Place the bag into the vegetable drawer in the refrigerator and use within 1-2 days. Store unwashed turnips in plastic bags in the refrigerator and use within two weeks. Store turnip chunks in the freezer by blanching them for three minutes, placing into cool water for one minute and freezing in sealed plastic bags. Store whole turnips in a box filled with damp sand. Cover the box and place it in a cool, dry place for up to 5 months.

Read more: When to Harvest Turnips | Garden Guides http://www.gardenguides.com/68787-harvest-turnips.html#ixzz1dJ33hPXg

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8885198

GUESS i WAS THINKING OF parsnips are the ones you dig in the spring right ???
well we had our 1st snow fal today but nothing on the ground it is cold & Oh man in the Moon is staring at me tonight through the window very bright he is :) Tried to take a picture of him but there is window glare . what a day this ole gal is done run out of energy & need to lay back . tomorrow i have to start my baking for the family will be here saturday .
so i may not be able to get on much at all . you all have a safe & Fun weekend .
susie
Tina_A
Caddo Mills, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 11, 2011
3:46 AM

Post #8885646

Susan,
I usually put my greens in a pot with a hamhock, salt pork, or fatback, water to the top of the greens and simmer for a few hours. When they are all the same dark green, we eat. I was thinking about doing some greens this winter, but I think I waited to long to put out the seeds.

Sundownr,
I'm gonna start the sourdough starter either today or tomorrow. I can't thank you enough for all the wonderful gifts that you sent to me. You must have read my mind.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2011
7:27 AM

Post #8885818

We have a man that after he harvests his wheat on a 1 acre patch(first of June), he plants turnips and lets anyone who wants them come and get them in the fall. A really nice gesture. They are soooo good. DH doesn't care for them either so I get them all. Yummy!

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2011
9:52 AM

Post #8885952

Sorry I've AWOL for a few days with so much going on!

LK, love the box you got from Kathy...OMG fudge!

Joy, your box from Cris looks super yummy, too... more fudge! Now I'm going to need to fix a batch!
The working dogs are so exciting to watch! My hat's off to those of you who train them, it has to be rewarding!

Patti, I really hate to hear about the earthquakes. Sending our thoughts and prayers for you and yours!! Stay safe girl!

Tina, I can just smell and taste that sourdough now, yum!!! I hope it works well for you... enjoy!

I love turnips too,(well really all root crops) as well as the greens! I can't grow root crops with my soil here, so I enjoy those I get from the Farmer's Markets.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2011
7:00 PM

Post #8887750

I love all root crops too, Bev. Hubby tilled a plot up on the leased land and planted turnip seeds in September to lure in the deer. His plan worked and they're steadily nibbling on the tops. I won't go into the gory details about the deer he's bagged.

My Mom used to cook the collard greens we grew low and slow for several hours and seasoned them with either a hunk of fatback or a pork jowl. Ya'll are bringing back the memories! Whipping up a pan of turnip and mustard greens only took 10 or 15 minutes. I ran into my neighbor that gave them to me today and she asked if I wanted more turnips and greens. Did she really have to ask? The next batch I'll blanch and freeze for us to enjoy over the Winter. It won't be long before the turnips start to flower and the leaves will become too tough to eat. My neighbor raises cattle and nothing goes to waste. Does anybody have a good recipe for pickled turnips? Never had had them but in my mind's eye, they must taste similar to pickled beets, which I dearly love.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2011
7:50 AM

Post #8888149

I have never heard of pickled turnips, but this is what googled turned out... Lots of recipes for them.

http://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ie=UTF-8&ion=1&nord=1#hl=en&sugexp=ppwl&cp=10&gs_id=8&xhr=t&q=pickled+turnips&qe=cGlja2xlZCB0dQ&qesig=3BXi6p0pwGyhgbkvOEWM8A&pkc=AFgZ2tkbu3XsDpkE-BjkRDAiKI7A9yNiNkujaCWnSKfNeSHHiUYNWNPnYy2YJ_dxNXtscyvJRShgwN9SbDQiMX8H0RiAsWRglQ&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&nord=1&biw=1333&bih=657&site=webhp&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=pickled+tu&aq=0&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=24c9ddab306e6d80&ion=1
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 13, 2011
1:05 PM

Post #8888536

Thanks, LK!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 14, 2011
10:58 AM

Post #8889929

Just wanted to let you all know that there is a seed swap going on in Cottage Gardening, also same forum under Hardy Seeds to Sow Outdoors in Fall. If anyone is interested come on over. Kathy.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2011
3:09 PM

Post #8890286

Can you post the link please?

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 15, 2011
3:08 PM

Post #8891646

Tater...sorry don't know how. Go to communities, then Cottage Gardening, look for topics on seed starting outdoors this fall, and seed swap. Comeon, I'm not that computer savvy, lol. Kathy. State flower; Aquilegia carulea, in the wild.

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2011
10:04 AM

Post #8892771

Kathy ... all you have to do to post the link is to go to the page, highlight and copy the URL at the top that includes the number, then come back here. In the message area, right click and click on paste. It will put then put the URL on here to share.

Just some FYI in case you ever want to do this.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 16, 2011
10:57 AM

Post #8892854

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1227443/
Looks like this is the link.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2011
10:53 AM

Post #8896957

OK Crit, I'm ignorant, lol. May have to try but if I don't succeed its your fault. I'm still learning puter stuff. And thanks happ for doing such. Lol. Oh ya by the way Fruit, if you'd like to post that web link for the flower video here and in Christmas exchange would be great. Was hoping to get outside today but just a bit burry yet, may have to wait til Monday. Got another hundred iris in Wed. and Thurs. Boy will I be glad to get things finished up. New project on the horizon, going to start remodeling the kitchen in a few weeks. Just lining up everything now. Not sure if I'm dreading or looking forward to having something to do this winter. Cupboards comming out after Thanksgiving and new unfinished ones going in. Then I will sand, put on colored wood stain and white wash. Still figuring out countertops. Will be repairing and resurfacing walls, then a new coat of paint (pepsi can blue, sounds horrid but is pretty I promise). I'm after the French Cottage look of blue and white. Got new appliances coming in also Will be so nice to have new cupboards, I can actually get around to unpacking my kitchen, lol. Making myself feel guilty for sitting here on puter, guess I should get some things done. Later all, have a great day. Kathy.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 19, 2011
1:04 PM

Post #8897166

Kathy, those cupboards will be a lot easier to sand and stain before you put them up! been there, done that... Sounds like your going to be very busy with the kitchen remodeling! Make sure you take before and after pictures?

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 20, 2011
11:07 AM

Post #8898661

Great idea taters. on the pix. Beginning pix should be easy, but not sure when this project will get done, might be years, lol, or not. Countertops and flooring to be replaced also. Will be doing most of the work myself, other than the guys installing the cabinets. The sanding should be pretty easy, insides of cabinets are finished so only doors and fronts will get the treatment. Found out last night probably won't start til mid Dec., just waiting for cabinet installer to give a date. Neighbor said he would help taking out old ones and installing new dishwasher, which could save $600. Now I just have to find a way to pay him, said he's a friend and what are friends for. Very nice man, if he doesn't take my money will give to his house mate, lol. Heading out after lunch to work on fenceing for my four legged friends, will be extending upward 4 feet. Eventually will be hooking up solar electric fence. I am going to beat them at their own game, Sure wish my lilacs grew faster. Ok will chat later gals. Kathy

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2011
6:30 AM

Post #8899675

Kathy, I just went thru getting the kitchen done, last winter. We had them built and then we sanded, stained, and varnished them all. We used granite tiles to do the kitchen counters, so we could lay them outselves, that cuts the cost down considerably, then we tiled the backspashes behind everything. It was a long process but such great rewards in the end. Now if I could just figure out the knobs...rofl.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8902052

happ... I took a class last year to build cabinets, but decided it was too hard to do alone so gave up on the idea. Still need to look at g tiles, any idea what they are a piece? And how long did it take? Years ago I took a class on laying tile and did a small bathroom, turned out pretty good so I'm willing to tackle that job. Still need to find my elf -man,lol...Got another 120 iris in today and hours later I'm still trying to warm up, burr..out again tomorrow. Later, Kathy.

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

November 25, 2011
8:17 AM

Post #8904965

Kathy, I'll make you a deal. I'll do your 'puter stuff if you will come and plant my bulbs for me! ^_^
Did you figure out how to do the copy and paste on links and stuff?

I was thinking yesterday I would like to redo my kitchen, but don't know about all the mess. lol

When my horse died, my neighbor who works for a large equipment rental place, had an excavator brought out and dug the hole and buried her for me. I couldn't find anyone that would come and get her, no one will pick up horses anymore. He wouldn't take anything for doing it so I sent them a box of steaks from Omaha steaks. I felt better and he got something for his neighborly act.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 25, 2011
11:01 AM

Post #8905151

Crit...so funny, ya I can come plant for you next year, and no haven't figured out yet. You could send bulbs here and could get planted, I'll enjoy for you. Haha! Ya, not looking forward to the mess but will be glad to have it all done. Kathy.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America