CLOSED: 2nd Annual Neck of the Woods Swap Page 3

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Just like last year, we’re sharing food items that are popular either where we live now or places where we have lived.

A few suggestions to get you thinking are spices or rubs, salsas or sauces, sparkling cider or wine, pickles or relishes, honey or molasses, cheeses or breads, jams or jellies -- just to name a few. You’re welcome to make home made goodies if you’re handy in the kitchen or go shopping for your Buddy.

Fall is also the perfect time to share Spring and Summer blooming bulbs, divisions of Perennials you’re already growing, freshly harvested seeds, or other gardening items that fit within your budget.

Our previous thread is here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1223265/

Rules and Guidelines…

There aren’t any changes from last year. The value of our items should be $20, less the cost of Priority Mail with a Delivery Confirmation number. For privacy, tracking numbers should never be posted on our threads. Instead keep your receipt handy or D-mail me the number you use.

Please mail your packages no later than the week of October 17th.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

Participants:

ClanCampbell / Chris -- > RECEIVED FROM taters55
Love flower smelling candles, but not food smells;
no allergies, so anything goes; love all nuts (notice I'm refraining from the very enticing joke right here???)
do like to try regional spices and sauces (specially BBQ and spicy stuff)

Cris316 / Cris -- > RECEIVED FROM Crit
Allergic to bananas & grapes. Love baked goods & chocolate. Have 6 cats in feral colony & 2 house cats. Most of yard in full sun, average soil.
We recently painted our home a medium shade of grey & looking for vibrant blue/purple flowers or reds to go into our new white window boxes. I'll give any flower a whirl if you don't have WB types. Don't like datura & not partial to yellow flowers (although both are growing wild in my yard).

Crit / Patti -- > RECEIVED FROM Mandy97
No allergies. I love homemade goodies. Have a large partly shaded flower bed I need tough plants that are drought resistant and thrive in lousy clay soil. Have dogs, donkeys and horses.

deejay9 / Susie -- > RECEIVED FROM lizrainey

froggiesgirl / Julie -- > RECEIVED FROM FruitOfTheVine

FruitOfTheVine / Susan -- >RECEIVED FROM froggies_girl and Tina_A. froggies_girl joined us after names were assigned so she and I swapped directly. Tina_A was my assigned buddy.
No food allergies. My beds, except a small one that gets a bit of morning sun, are in Full Sun. Love dark chocolate, wines from other locals, and homemade goodies...anything goes from jams to spicy salsas.

happgarden / Joyce -- > RECEIVED FROM ordairygirl
No food allergies, love chocolate, love plants, have sun, shade, part-shade, have a small water garden, love wines, have 2 basset hounds, 1 black lab, 1 wire terrier, 1 black cat, and some koi. If someone wanted to make me a sign for the garden shed I would love it or anything homemade.

lizrainey / Liz -- > RECEIVED FROM rouxcrew
No cheese products please. I have no food restrictions or allergies; I likes homemade things, jams, jellies, chocolates, also wines, beers, seeds; charms for my bracelet.

Mandy97 / Mandy -- > RECEIVED FROM FruitOfTheVine
I don't have any food allergies, and I am interested in homemade goodies (jams, baked goods), local stuff (wines, syrups), bulbs and seeds (zone 5 hardy, mostly sunny areas - a few partially shady).

ordairygirl / Tessa -- > RECEIVED FROM ClanCampbell
Willing to grow anything you send me. Allergic to garlic powder. (can do fresh garlic, I know its weird).

rouxcrew / Joy -- > RECEIVED FROM Cris316
Allergic to Shrimp. No smelly candles please, love regional fare, spices, and hot stuff, flowering plants, outside things. Surprises.
No houseplants please, I don't have safe places.

Sundownr / Bev -- > RECEIVED FROM deejay9
I live in zone 6a, have a small shady yard with a tiny goldfish pond and a few miniature gardens. I grow herbs, fruits, and veggies in the few sunny spots I have, and starting a rain garden in our low area (in dapple shade). I don't have any healthy spaces for house plants. The house trim is cocoa brown and I try to plant shade-loving peach or maroon flowers when I can find them. I do not care for fragrant candles or soaps. Allergic to bananas, but tolerate the quantities in breads (thank goodness because I love them). I collect "old-timey" cookbooks and recipes, specifically Appalachian and New England based. I love dark chocolate, chutneys, all nuts, arts & crafts, and will certainly enjoy any homemade goodies sent.

taters55 / LK -- > RECEIVED FROM warriorswisdomkathy
No allergies, all plants need to be for full hot Texas sun.

Tina_A / Tina -- > RECEIVED FROM Sundownr
I'm allergic to most flowery scents except rose and vegetable scents don't bother me either. I'm also allergic to bananas, avocadoes, and latex. I love baked goods and most everything else, especially dark chocolate, except fish.

warriorswisdomkathy / Kathy -- > RECEIVED FROM happgarden
No alergies, love chocolate, garden signs could be wonderful addition (English Cottage type garden) Love most any plant,very little shade (no beds there yet).. Love plants of ALL sizes, especially the tall ones, need more for the back of the border. Pink, purple, white, blue & red are favs, Zone 5, 6800 - 6900 feet above sea level.

Cville_Gardener / Carole -- Staying to chat!

This message was edited Nov 4, 2011 5:04 PM

hayward, CA

no susie i dont my mil use to make it i should of watched her more close :(

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Crit, you're not the only one whose box won't get in
the mail until Monday. I too am a bit behind.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Uhhh, hanging head in shame with Crit, running late, who knew I would have sooooo much trouble finding something I really wanted made here! But located it this morning on the internet so will pick up this afternoon and mail out next week.

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Mine went out Thursday, so should be there anyday- sure keeping my fingers crossed that everything made it ok!! AND- in my note, I forgot to warn my buddy to dig all the way down to the bottom of the box LOL... so you are now officially warned.. whoever you are :)

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

OK gals..... you have made me feel better now! ^_^

So, on to my wonderful box from Mandy57:

First off you may notice the bottle of wine! (mine...all mine... not sharing. lol) This is from one of the oldest wineries that she passes on her way to work.

Then a big ole hunk of blueberry bread freshly made by Mandy and to go along with it a bottle of blueberry/apple juice. This will be my breakfast this morning! Might save a little taste for DH.

Next is a jar of stawberry jam made by Mandy and her mother. This is something they do every spring.

A bite of chocolate caramel from South Bend. It is already gone...didn't last 10 minutes! lol Yuuuuuuuummmmmmmy!

A jug of Michigan maple syrup. May have to make pancakes tomorrow!

A lovely pot holder that will match the light green in my kitchen. Did you make this one mandy????

A recipe for "Baked Apple-Stuffed French Toast". 1st place winner in 2011 !!!! WOW. May make this instead of pancakes to use the syrup on. MMM-mmmm-mmmm Sounds wonderful

Some literature about her county and Michigan.

Just WONDERFUL Mandy! Thank you so much. What a terrific box. You done good girl! ^_^

Thumbnail by Crit
hayward, CA

nice box looks yummy

Paw Paw, MI

I didn't make the potholder, but found it at the farmer's market, and laughed when I noticed it was a pattern made of celery. I had to pick it up for this swap. Glad it all arrived intact and will be enjoyed! :)

Ocean Springs, MS

Yummy stuff you got, Crit! I had so much fun at the Fall Garden Festival! Was a little piece of heaven! Bought some really nice plants. will have to post some pics later. I am exhausted, but it is a good kind of tired!

I mailed my box Thursday, so hope my buddy gets it Monday! love, julieanne

(Bev) Wytheville, VA(Zone 6a)

Susie and Patti, you girls received some mighty fine swap boxes there!! I hope you enjoy your goodies as much as I've enjoyed mine (from Susie).

I got all my stuff ready so it will go out next week. Sorry for the delay, I just didn't think it would take so long to arrive here.

Great box there Crit. Share the receipe for the french toast that sounds amazing!

Stoopid internet problems kicked me off last night just as I got on. Thought I'd never figure out the problem this morning.

Very nice, Patti. How was the wine...lol
Mandy, thank you for such a fantastic job!

I know several boxes have been mailed and probably a couple were received. Wave if you've received yours. Also if you haven't checked in for a while please pop in!

As you all know, froggies_girl joined us after names were assigned, so she and I are the only ones exchanging directly.

Got my box from you today, Julie, chocked full with…..

A sweet hand written note and card
2 ripe Persimmons
Crunchy Granola in the cone-shaped bag
Beef Jerky
Fresh Pasta from a local restaurant
Do It All Seasoning and Dry Rub (smells wonderful)
Bear of Gautier Gold Honey
Rouses Muscadine Jelly (Yum! We had muscadine vines when I was growing up, one of my favorite fruits.)
Easter Cacti Cuttings
Cows Milk “Honey Almond” hand lotion and matching balls of soap with a nice clean scent
Café Du Monde Beignet Mix (French doughnut mix from this World famous New Orleans icon) This is probably the closest I’ll ever get to New Orleans.

Thanks so much, Julie. Great job! Love your thoughtfulness and you too, girlie :)

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
hayward, CA

oh wow cool box love persimmons have one tree of each kind
fantastic swap cant wait till the next one.

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Nice box of goodies!

Caddo Mills, TX(Zone 8a)

Bev,
Thank you so much for my box of wonderful goodies. I will post pictures later on tonight since I'm on metered download. My mother, who is here to help me with my arm, is so impressed with all that Bev sent me. I got
Autumn Olive Jam
Seedless Blackberry Jam, which just so happen to be my favorite jam
Mixed Fruit Chutney
Pear Honey
Glace Pears, OMG this are wonderful
Dried Apples
Apple Walnut Chocolate Mint Bread
Chocolate Mint, I grow this, but never thought about drying it
Acorn Cap candles
Quart Jar
Sour Saqlly, which is sourdough starter
Can clothes, this are so cute.
I told my mom that I want to live by Bev so I could enjoy this treats all the time. Thank you so much for everything including the recipes and the websites. I hope that everyone in your life appreciates you for the things that you do, because I sure do. Tina

Caddo Mills, TX(Zone 8a)

My buddy your box is packed, letter typed, and will definitely be mailed tomorrow. I hope you enjoy your box as much as I enjoyed mine.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Hi all, sorry haven't checked in for a while, busy, busy. Just finished planting a batch of iris ( 637 in three days, and have 30 more trays yet, whew ) I need a couple more good weeks of good planting weather yet so I can finish. I'm so sorry I haven't gotten my package out yet, have all the goodies, just have to get them boxed and sent. 'Spose to rain and s--w Tues. and Wed., yuchhhh! Spent last week sitting the grandkids who were out of school, shame it was such nice weather, lol. What wonderful boxes of goodies, its fun to see what others are getting. Sure am glad I ate supper before coming into this room, Lol. Have to git, am still drawing up plans for backyard landscaping. Got a section weeded and rototilled and just about ready for planting, hopefully I can start this weekend. Hey Fruit do you like Salvia victoria and are they hardy for you? (let me know). Hope everyone has a great evening, Kathy. Pix is Passiflora carulea, got 2 that need planting yet, lol. Later all.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Susan, Those are some really mouth-watering goodies from Julie!! I doubt I'll ever make it to New Orleans either, one of the places I've always wanted to visit!

Tina, I'm so glad all those glass jars made it to you in good shape!! I hope you and your mom enjoy the goodies and have fun with the sourdough! Take care of that arm, too!!

Kathy, how on Earth do you keep going? I need some of your energy. Salvias, agastaches and mints are among my fav plants but sadly Victoria an annual in my zone. If only I lived a few hours South...

Tina, you just got a box of love from Virginia! I'm so glad your Mom is still there helping you and your arm is starting to heal. Did the dr's ever figure out what bit you? I've eaten Glace Pears and agree they are melt in your mouth good. Never heard of Autumn Olive Jam? But then again, I've never met an olive I didn't like.

Thanks, Bev, for making Tina's day :) New Orleans is on my bucket list too and wouldn't be able to wait to wrap my mouth around a plate of fresh Gulf Shrimp and enjoy exploring the city's architecture.

Susan, The Autumn Olives are a bit tart, but fantastic berries (info & recipes: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1758/)! Sounds like we would be eating and looking at the same things if we went to New Orleans, lol!

My buddies box will go out on Wednesday. We hit a little heat wave and decided to hold off til we cool down on Wednesday. Course I love the heat wave but not sure the box would.....

Great boxes coming in from every where and love the receipes!

Bev, that's very interesting and don't think I've ever seen those growing here. If I have, I didn't know what they were.

Isn't Honey so far the most popular food item sent? West Virginia has delicious honeys. Wish I remembered the name of the store in Proctor, waaayyy up on top of a mountain on a twisty narrow road. Will never forget it was snowing at Thanksgiving and the store owner turned on heat lamps next to her bee displays so we could watch them wake up. That was another fun day spent with my SIL.

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I got my boxxxxx.. I got my boooooxxxxxx... woohoo!

LK, our own miss Tater, sure did a terrific job with sending me stuff! Wow!

I got a cute magnet in the shape of TX with 'bluebonnets' attached to it and a little angel wearing a cowboy hat- they both say Del Rio, TX (did you make these? They're adorable!)
A bottle of Blush wine.. will have to either hide it from or share it with my son and DDIL lol
2 packages of bluebonnet seeds .. yay!
Dallas Cowboy BBQ sauce
Stubbs honey pecan BBQ sauce (Can't wait to try this on some pork ribs!!)
2 bags of nuts- pecans and walnuts
Honey (LOL.. continuing the tradition, right Fruity??)
A TX mug
a pot holder in the shape of TX with bluebonnets on the front and denim on the back
And I'm being a dork- what is the other item, LK?? I thought it might be to hold a bottle of wine, since it has the ties on it- anyway, it's made out of the same bluebonnet material.

I love it all.. being a born and raised Texan, I love getting these goodies from you!!

thank you so very, very much ^_^

Thumbnail by ClanCampbell

Good for you, Chris! You know what, we have Stubbs products here too and never realized they're made in TX and have used it a lot to make BBQ chicken. The honey tradition continues and so do the different wines.

Thanks for the great job, LK :)

Sp glad you got your box, and it looks like nothing was broken! Yes, it is a wine bottle wrap..
I can't take credit for making the magnet, or the angel. I found them at a little curio shop I found in old part of down town.

Ocean Springs, MS

Beautiful gifts for you girls. FOTV, so glad you liked your goodies. I love beignets. Just make sure the oil is hot when you fry them and I always shake mine twice in powdered sugar. kids love them, too! Gotta make them this coming Sunday for breakfast. LOL

I am going full blast trying to get my business going. Its not easy when I still have household things to do, the kids after school activities, and so on. Got the webiste almost done. As soon as its, ready, I'll reveal it!

love to all and ENJOY those goodies!
julieanne

How exciting for you, Julie!

What kind of business Julie?

Caddo Mills, TX(Zone 8a)

Here are the pictures from my box from Sundownr

Thumbnail by Tina_A
Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Gee whiz, the pictures in the swaps right now are making my tummy growl. ^_^ Beautiful things all around. I'm lovin' just lookin' at it all. Fun!

Caddo Mills, TX(Zone 8a)

This is the 2nd one

Thumbnail by Tina_A
Caddo Mills, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is the final picture

Thumbnail by Tina_A

Ok, here is a great basket I received and a horrible comedy of errors that took place with it.
First I want to thank ordairygirl for the greatest box and everything arrived in perfect shape.
There was some kind of problem in the delivery of the box, it arrived on a Saturday cause I was home and it should of been there on Thursday (I think), the po person told me the tracking number had been torn and some other reasons why it was late, but heavens I don't remember, this all happened on October 15th! Course I rush in and opened everything and wanted to post a picture and be sure and let her know everything arrived in great shape and how much I like everything before it all disappeared, which I did, I know I did....but I can't find the post anywhere! So poor ordairygirl can't track the package because it never shows delivered, then my post to the forum is off in cyperland somewhere, you can only imagine how she was feeling!

So finally better late than never, glad I kept the pic because other than the seed collector (which I love) about everything else has been eaten! rofl. Let me apologize ordairygirl cause I am going from memory, I don't have the card with me, it is at home. (Yes, I do keep them)

First off the seed collector box, with metal containers (you can see thru the lid), seed baggies (two sizes), and seeds! It is just the coolest thing, in the card she said I could put it in the car for my covert operations...rofl, my reputation is preceeding me...rofl. But it is just the greatest idea! Did you decorate the box, I just love it and yes it is in my car and has been since I got thru playing with it. Going from memory I think the seeds were hollyhocks.

Second, the card is so cute, can you see she marked her place and mine on the map. Really cute.

Third, 2 Idaho Spud candy bars, I know their is only one in the photo but two came in the box...rofl.

Fourth, Granola bars, I got one of them, but DH helped with the other....LOL They were really good, most and chocked full.

Fifth, following the tradition, Honey, but not ordinary honey, whipped honey, ordairygirl said she had this when she was a kid with her Dad. I think I posted I need the french toast receipe to use my whipped honey on.

Sixth, Some Dude's Fry Sauce, ordairygirl says where she is from almost all the restuarants have their own variety of dipping sauce and I can tell you DH and my nephew went to town on the dipping sauce, it was really good and something I had never seen.

Seventh: Teriaki sauce made by a gentleman close to where she lives. I can tell you we have really used that, we do alot of stir frying and it is great.

Eighth: Popcorn ball in the shape of an ear of corn...rofl. That was mine I took that and hid it from all the crumb snatchers around my place, and it WAS good.

Like I said everything WAS great...rofl and I am sooo sorry for the crazyness with the box. I always worry about boxes when I send them and I always post at least a comment about receiving them if I don't get a chance to thank someone right away with a pic.

Uhhh.... Pictures please?

OK, the errors never end, I forgot the pic! rofl....

Thank you ordairygirl

My buddies is going out today!

Thumbnail by happgarden

So glad you got your box! Love all those things!

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Doing a happy dance because my box is Finally on its way out.
Didn't think it was That heavy but the postage was hefty.
it is insured & has delivery confirmation on it.

Nyssa, OR(Zone 6a)

So glad that you got your box happgarden...I did decorate the front of the seed collecting box myself. I need to make myself one of those =)
I got my box yesterday but am just now getting time to post. My box came from Iowa and Chris (clancampbell). Luckily for the hint she included to dig to the bottom of the box I found my favorite thing...a fairy made out of metal. This will look great in a pot on my front porch. She sent a book and DVD from Iowa DOT that shows native flowers. Our climates must be fairly similar because I recognized a lot of flowers that I can grow here in my garden. Then there is a CD of Prairie sounds, I haven't got a chance to play it yet, but should work good to cover up the sounds of my children screaming =) Next there was a cookbook form the local ymca/ywca with lots of good recipes. I love these types of cookbooks because they are recipes that "real people" actually make and have short ingredient lists.
This box just keeps going...A jar of rosemary jelly (planning to use on my chicken tonight for dinner) and a jar of butter rum creme honey (that sounds like heaven in a jar). The cutest little pink pig molded chocolate. I told my kids it was soap so they wouldn't run off with it. Finally, a little jar of Kermit's wonderful skincare. In my dry climate we use any kind of lubrication to keep our skin form just flaking off in the winter. Its a nice thick cream and smells like roses.
So impressed with the generosity and variety. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Digital camera is on the fritz...I'll see what I can do with a webcam in a future post to get you a picture.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images