Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Recipes: Pot Pie Recipe

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 29, Views: 391
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 22, 2011
12:25 PM

Post #8859318

Got a favorite? I made one from Real Simple last night and it was only so-so. Kind of bland. Anybody got a good recipe to share?

Thanks - Mary

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2011
12:32 PM

Post #8859325

I always just use left over stew!!! :)
which is usually
venison
onion
garlic
fried
Add flour in the pan
Add a splash of cider vinegar to deglaze
carrots
turnips
potatoes
yams
peas
corn
green beans
actually whatever is ripe in the garden sometimes...
Lol occasionally i'll add a few packets of dry brown gravy to thicken
Whatever spices are fresh

can you tell i never use recipes or measurements?!

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2011
1:59 PM

Post #8859377

I've got a new mini-pie recipe using muffin pans that I want to try, but I haven't tried it yet so I can't pesonally vouch for it. I find mine are often bland, too. Or the vegetables have a bitey, bitter taste. Which is too bad because I really like pot pies.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 22, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8859450

Swanson does 'em good!

Thanks outlawheart...I get it, dump it all in stir in some flour and broth, stick a top crust on it and you're good to go. I don't have any venison, the yams would certainly help, maybe the cider vinegar too. I was thinking if I added some lean ground pork...
bloomheaven
Southern
United States

October 22, 2011
9:31 PM

Post #8859764

I have a simple kind of non traditional one that we love, it's very easy to make. Often I make this from leftover baked chicken or leftover a rotisserie chicken I picked up. You can make as much or as little as you want depending on how much you have to add. The crust is my answer to not really liking a pastry top. I always pick away the pastry and eat the inside so I decided one night to add cornbread mix and it was great!

Rotisserie chicken de-boned or leftover baked chicken
onion
bag of frozen vegetables (I try to find one with broccoli and carrots and usually add a can of water chestnuts, I know odd choice lol, but I love the crunch it adds. For years I could find the frozen bag of all three, but I can't find it anymore so now I just drain them and add a can)
Chicken stock (about 2 cups, depends on how much pot pie you want to make)
salt
pepper
red pepper (I'm from Louisiana, we have to have it hot!)
milk
flour
Bag of corn muffin mix and the ingredients to prepare (usually egg and milk) or sometimes I make a recipe from scratch depending on time

These are rough instructions without specific measurements, but I think it's easy enough to put together. Also, it's hard to say what size dish.

1. De-bone the chicken.
2. Prepare a baking dish (you want something that closely fits the amount of food your eating, I usually use a pyrex, the topping is heavy and will sink) by spraying with Pam or your preferred greasing method. Pour in your vegetable choices and mix in the chicken. Sometimes I add salt and pepper to the veg and chicken depending on how it was previously prepared.
3. Saute the onion in some olive oil until tender.
4. Add some flour (a couple of tablespoons) and seasonings to your liking. This is my quick version of a thickening base (can't think of the proper term). Slowly add some chicken stock stirring well and making sure there are no lumps. How much liquid you add at this step determines how loose/thick the base of your pot pie will be. You need enough liquid to cover your filling ingredients, but not too much. Sometimes I add some milk or cream to make a richer base, other times I just do the stock (usually I use low/no sodium bouillon). When you get your desired consistency pour over chicken and vegetables. You may need to add some liquid or take some out just depending on your preference. You need enough so the baking doesn't dry out the vegetables, but not too much because the topping sinks.
5. Carefully pour the liquid and stir in the onions and liquid so everything is mixed well.
6. Prepare corn muffin mix following package directions.
7. Pour this over the filling mixture. It doesn't usually cover the entire mixture, there are gaps in places depending on how you pour. You do want to be careful and go slow and move around because it will sink. I usually have enough vegetables and chicken so it sits mostly on that.
8. Bake according to corn muffin instructions. It make take a few minutes more because of the liquid. I usually take it out when it's browned to our liking.

We love this version. I somehow feel less guilty enjoying it without the pastry crust and I love cornbread dipped in anything!

MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 23, 2011
5:57 AM

Post #8859939

The cornbread topping sounds like a great idea. Thanks for sharing. I have some filling left, I'll try that.
bloomheaven
Southern
United States

October 23, 2011
6:48 AM

Post #8860009

Hope you like it!
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 23, 2011
7:06 AM

Post #8860041

I don't make it often but I do a top and bottom crust in a deep pie pan or a 9x9 pan.
Veggies are sweet onion, red bell pepper, chopped celery, diced carrots, diced yukon gold potato and frozen peas at the end right before filling. Herbs are flat leaf parsley, thyme, bay leaf then salt and pepper. I saute the veggies in a little butter--firm veggies first then add the tender ones a little later and the herbs, salt and pepper. Once all veggies are tender I remove to a bowl. Add about 3-4 T butter, melt and 3-4 T flour to cook down and form a roux. Whisk in equal parts cream and chicken stock--eyeball the amount so you don't end up with too much sauce. Whisk while bringing to a boil to thicken. Add in veggies and cut or shredded rotisserie chicken. Fold in frozen peas and a little more fresh chopped parsley. Let cool a bit, covered.

When the bottom crust of the pie is in the pan, rub with cold butter all over. Ladle into pie shell, cover with top crust, cut some slits for steam, crimp or pinch together. Bake at 350 for 35-45 min on a baking sheet/center rack. I use a glass see through pie pan or baking dish so I can see how the bottom is browning. I've made this in a 9x13 using 4 rolls of pie crust for a larger gathering. I don't make it often because of the calories but once a year in the winter is OK:lol: I've also used 1/2 & 1/2 instead of heavy cream. I've made it thinner and served it as a cream of chicken pot pie soup too:lol:

This message was edited Oct 23, 2011 10:58 AM

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 23, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8860085

Mmmmm... That's a lot of butter dmac085! :) i loooove butter.
The pork idea sounds good too! Waterchestnuts are such a great idea too!!! Love them. Mushrooms would be good too.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 23, 2011
7:50 AM

Post #8860105

I was raised with margarine and converted when I began I buy my own groceries:lol: I do scale it back depending on application. Baking is exact, cooking not so much. The butter layer on the bottom crust is to help keep the liquid filling from making it soggy. When I make the 9x13 pan, it only end up being about 1 stick all total for everything from sauteing veggies, coating pie crust and making roux. I found the recipe on food.com and it is a go big and get on a treadmill type of recipe/meal:lol:
broots
Cochrane, ON
(Zone 2b)

October 23, 2011
8:49 AM

Post #8860164

Hi MaryMcP. This is the recipe I use & it is quite good. It was passed on to me by my sister.

3 tbsp. butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 tbsp flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp thyme (I don't use this)
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup light cream (20%)
2 cups cubed cooked turkey or chicken
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup cubed potatoes
sliced mushrooms
3/4 cup frozen peas

Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat. Add chopped onion & cook until softened. Blend in flour, salt, pepper & thyme. Cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in chicken broth & cream. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil & stir 1 minute. Stir in chicken/turkey & vegetables.

Pour into pastry lined dish (if using a bottom crust). Cover with second crust. Bake @ 425º for 35-40 minutes or bubbling & golden brown.

- I usually steam or boil my veggies for just a couple of minutes first. You might need to add a bit more cream if your filling seems too thick. You want enough sauce for it to cook.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 23, 2011
11:20 AM

Post #8860343

Thanks everyone. I'm going to keep track of this thread and try again soon. Adding some butter would help, the recipe I used had none and maybe some cream with the broth will help. I'll report back when I've made the new batch.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 25, 2011
6:56 AM

Post #8862851

The cornbread topping is a keeper! Thanks bloomheaven. To add some flavor to the already prepared bland filling I opened a jar of pickled red cabbage I made a couple of months ago. It really added some Zing! to every bite.

Thanks again to all the suggestions, I'll try this again soon with some of the above additions.
bloomheaven
Southern
United States

October 25, 2011
7:24 AM

Post #8862898

Glad you liked it! It's the only way I make it now.
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2011
10:26 AM

Post #8863152

Mary another good thread!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2011
5:40 PM

Post #8915362

I have never made a Pot Pie of any sort----just a disclaimer! I CAN cook, though...

Yesterday--I made a whole new batch of Chicken Stock. About 2 gallons of it. I ran out of it with all the TH, Giv. cooking...
I went to my local farm Store and bought 6 chicken backs---a bag of Chicken breast bones---
two big Turkey necks---and some giblets...

Cooked them half the day! With herbs and seasonings... When done--I fished out all the bones and "junk"
and had a BIG cookie sheet full of bones and remnants of all the meat.
Spent at least 2 hours picking every possible, edible bit of meat out of it. Also--all the fat chunks of carrots.
SO--this ended up being a chicken/Turkey combination of meats. A lg. amount! NO biggie!

SO! Looking at my lg. container full of all the meat bits and carrots--I thought of making Pot Pies...
My brain just works that way! Forever resourceful!

Now I need some advice. The meat mixture already has all the cooked onions and celery and meat in it.
Also a lot of the broth and seasonings. Seems perfect for Pot pies...just need to add some peas and corn--or whatever...

I already have 2 packages of Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts. Good???
If I make these Pot Pies--I want to make the small ones. Like--one serving...

I realize I will need to add more veggies--like peas and celery. I will also need to thicken the contents
a bit with flour and milk and whatever else...Maybe even a can of Cream of Chicken soup--UGH!
Checked out several recipes on All Recipes .com--as well as on Cooks.com.

Basically--I need some assurance that this plan would work OK. I am a "recycler" and hate to throw good
food out. Always need to find something else to do with it...SO! Pot Pies is it!!!!

Please post your suggestions. Thanks---Gita

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2011
7:01 AM

Post #8915781

A few red pepper flakes will reduce the bland, as will a shot of Worchestshire sauce (in beef) or wine. I use Portabellas for earthiness, and this time of year will throw in broccoli, cauliflower or even brussel sprouts for a nice surprise.

Another interesting twist for chicken or turkey instead of CoC soup is cream cheese, chevre, or even sour cream. Really steps up the flavor and the richness.

Joy

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2011
9:25 AM

Post #8918620

Gita that should work out great! Maybe you already made them by now, if so let us know how they came out and what recipe you went with. I have 2 chicken breasts in the freezer and i've been thinking about pot pie lately. :) maybe friday when i don't have to work nights.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 6, 2011
1:03 PM

Post #8918894

outlaw--

I have not done anything yet. Just have not had time...
Bought 2 boxes of roll-out, Pilsbury Pie Crust and peas.

I really need to get to this very soon--as the meat could go bad...

I may have to make full-sized pot pies--not the little ones.
A woman I work with has made these--and she told me what she puts in them.
I will attempt to do it her way...

Will tell yopu when I make them--how they turned out.

Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 8, 2011
2:33 PM

Post #8921806

OK!!!! Today--I made my Pot Pies...

Took me a lot of time to "concoct" the filling...It was all the left-over meat pickings fron the Th. Giv, Turkey carcass
I took home...

I have to say--the filing does not look too appealing----kind of all mush! But--it tastes OK.

Spent a lot of time creating 4 pie-crust dough circles out of One 9" pie crust...Trim here...smush there...
It was a lovely couple of hours spent do9ng what I love to do most...Preparing something to cook...

I went through 3 packages of refrigerated Pie Crust dough. Lots of trim here--add there to make ot all come out OK.

Had one for supper tonight. It tasted really OK. Just that, the average person would not like the mushy insides of it.
The taste is there--but not the eye-appeal...

Here are the finished Pies...

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Click the image for an enlarged view.

SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2011
11:10 AM

Post #8935626

Here's the chicken pot pie we use.

2 boneless chicken breasts cubed
1 Tbsp. canola oil
Salt & pepper to taste

2 Tbsp. butter
2 onions, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
4 celery, sliced
1 1/2 cup of peas
6 Tbsp. of minced fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 400 def. Add chicken, olive oil, salt and pepper to a pan. Sauté until chicken is done. Sauté butter, onions, carrots, and celery in Dutch oven until onions are translucent. Throw in peas, parsley, and cooked chicken. Stir and remove from heat. Drop tablespoons of Quick Drop Biscuits recipe on top of potpie mixture. Bake until chicken is bubbly and topping is brown, 25 to 35 minutes.

Potpie topping - Quick Drop Biscuits
Whisk together:
1 cup of whole wheat flour
2/3 cup of buckwheat flour
Dried or fresh Thyme leaves
Dried or fresh Rosemary leaves, chopped
1 Tbsp. of baking powder
1 tsp. salt

In a separate bowl, whisk together:
2/3 cup of milk or rice milk
1/3 cup of canola oil

Add wet ingredients to dry and mix. Should give a sticky, thick batter. Use spoon to put on top of potpie mixture.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2011
1:39 PM

Post #8935855

Susan---

From what I can gather--you make one big Pot Pie--NOT a lot of single serving ones. Yes? No?

I am by myself--so I have to do single servings of anything--or I will be eating the same dish for a week!
Not so great...

The only reason I made them the way i did is because i HAD all the meat trimmings to use up.
Ended up throwing some of those away too...

I have never made a Pot Pie before--and may never do it again. Would like to--but the right way.

Will copy out your recipe. I am sure there are plenty of others on all the recipe sites...

Thanks, Gita
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8935989

I use a medium size dutchoven but there's no reason that you can't divide it into smaller potpies before putting the top on. We cook one and then send it to the freezer in one serving containers.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

December 19, 2011
7:48 PM

Post #8936357

Susan, thanks. That sounds great. I'll give the recipe a try...copied to my recipe folder and printed for easy reference.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2011
2:52 AM

Post #8936613

A couple of other things. The topping should be thick enough to sort of hold it's shape when it's dropped on the top of the veggie &chicken mixture.

Also the topping can be switched out for a pie crust.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

December 20, 2011
4:26 AM

Post #8936640

I like the dropped biscuit idea. Will try it one day soon and let you know.
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 27, 2011
10:35 PM

Post #8945067

Here's a recipe I copied today from allrecipes.com. I plan to try this next time I get a rotisserie chicken. It got excellent reviews. One reviewer said she added broc florets, sliced almonds and a tablespoon of sherry to enhance it, and I'll probably do the same when I make it. I'll report back here when I do.

CHICKEN POT PIE
allrecipes.com

Yield: 6 Servings
Ingredients
• 1/4 cup butter
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 3 celery ribs, chopped
• 3 carrots, chopped
• 2/3 cup frozen peas
• 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
• 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 2 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
• 2/3 cup half-and-half cream
• salt and ground black pepper to taste
• 3 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
• 1 (16.3 ounce) can refrigerated flaky-style biscuits (such as Pillsbury Grands®)
• 1 egg yolk, beaten
• 1 tablespoon water
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Melt butter in a skillet over medium-low heat, and cook the onion, celery, and carrots until the celery and carrots are tender, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in peas, parsley, thyme and flour, and cook, stirring constantly, until the flour coats the vegetables and begins to fry, about 5 minutes. Whisk in chicken broth and half-and-half, and cook until the sauce is thick and bubbling. Season to taste with salt and black pepper, and mix in the chicken meat.
3. Transfer the chicken, vegetables, and sauce into a 2-quart baking dish. Arrange biscuits on top of the filling. In a small bowl, beat egg yolk with water; brush egg yolk on the biscuits.
4. Bake in the preheated oven until the biscuits are golden brown and the pie filling is bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 28, 2011
9:57 AM

Post #8945401

Ok!! I should've taken pictures, but i threw together a pot pie the other night, and it just turned out amazing.
I had a pie crust left over from Christmas, that i just had to roll out
i started with two medium Russet (diced small) potatoes that i pan fried with onion and butter. Once they were slightly browned i added venison stew meat but you could add dicey chicken breast or ground beef or stew meat.
As this was browning i began to add seasoning. I used some bell's and salt and pepper, a bit of Dinosaur BBQ foreplay rub ( because i put it in everything, if you are ever in Syracuse you HAVE to try dinosaur...i digress) i added some chopped garlic in oil. Then i added one small can of condensed cream of mushroom soup, about a 1/4 cup of water and stirred in some veggies (corn, peas, there wasn't a lot of room left over for more! Lol) of course i tasted it multiple times till i was satisfied, preheated the oven at 350° and rolled out my
crust. I left the edges that hung over on the pie to roll up over top and keep in all the good
stuff.
After it was rolled out i sprinkled shredded cheddar cheese on the crust, then layered some of the meat mixture, a layer of the cheese, and repeat until full. Topped with cheese and rolled the crust over top and because all the ingredients were hot and fully cooked i baked it until the crust was flaky golden brown and the cheese on top was just a little darker and bubble because i

This message was edited Dec 28, 2011 1:02 PM

Thumbnail by OutlawHeart81
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2012
10:44 PM

Post #9199913

I use the second night of a pot roast only have to cook more carrots and potatoes since we love them and eat all the first night, Cut the roast in bite size pieces and add frozen peas.

Love the Pillsbury frozen biscuits for a topping. Just get the pot pie mixture to room temp. with the biscuits on top since they are frozen. Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes and check the bottoms of the biscuits. If they are brown on top and not done on the bottoms, I put a foil on them and cook for another 15 minutes.

I use those frozen biscuits for a lot of things. Biscuits and gravy etc. They are wonderful. Now I am not talking about the ones in the tubes.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2012
10:46 PM

Post #9199915

LOL, I just spotted this thead. Now I see it is a pretty old one. So, you have had time to try them all.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America