Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plumerias: Temps droping...... what do I do now.

Communities > Forums > Plumerias
bookmark
Forum: PlumeriasReplies: 8, Views: 152
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
floridagardner
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8859679

My plumeria has become so large, 3 branches, that I really can't bring it inside for the colder weather. Also the pot is large and very heavy. I've been told that I can up root it from the pot and bring inside and repot next spring. Also cut the branches to make new plants for next year. Is this a good thing to do. I'd really hate to lose it by doing something wrong. Dorothy

Thumbnail by floridagardner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 23, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8860481

I bring in around 25-30 plants uprooted to over winter by taking all the leaves and spraying them with diluted neem oil. The first time I did this was a mesh and so Dutchlady told me to cut all the leaves. I also had problems with aphids and all the tropical that was near the plumeria were infested with aphids. In fact I cut all the leaves today.
As far as cutting the branches personally I will wait till late spring or summer but someone will tell you if you can or not.

Belle

This message was edited Oct 23, 2011 7:46 PM
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 23, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8860597

If you look at the sticky at the top of this forum (frequently asked questions), there is a large section on over wintering them. Some really interesting stuff.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

October 23, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8860601

where did you plant on putting it inside when you up root it? it will still be the same size. :) might as well bring it inside and decorate it with a string of white lights for decor.

do not cut the tips. i would only do that if you had to leave the plant outside during the winter and your afraid of losing it. btw, how cold does it get where you live in florida.
chellflower
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8867454

Your plumeria in the photo has a good shape to it...I would not cut it if I were you. Cutting would take from the aesthetic appearance of the overall plant.

I live in NE texas, zone 8b...our average winter temps (appx. 50F) are just cold enough to have to overwinter indoors, plus we can have dips down to the 20's, though usually in February. I bring most of mine in the house for winter and the remainder in the greenhouse. Those in the GH get a little water only as long as their leaves are intact still. The ones in the house I water lightly once a month due to the dry heat indoors...I've had plumies actually bloom indoors in winter...I don't fertilize during winter months, but I do use plant bulbs in the light fixtures during winter...(they not only help my plants, but help keep the cabin fever & winter blues away ;) ) ...with the plant bulbs I can overwinter in any room of the house regardless of how few windows are available.
Hope this helps with your decision-making.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

December 4, 2011
11:23 AM

Post #8916021

Well, you said it is too heavy to bring in? If you let the soil dry out, it should be lighter, but if you can't bring it in, if you can at least move it to a protected spot -- under an eave, against the house, in a garden shed -- then maybe it will survive outside in your 9a zone. If you can lift it to put it on a rolling plant stand, then maybe you could roll it to a protected spot this year and in the following years.
loveplants2VB
Virginia Beach, VA
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2011
9:42 PM

Post #8927295

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to say that i agree with Chellflower...I aslo live in a zone 8b, but i do have to bring in all of my trees for the winter. II do strip the leaves on some that are to large to bring and place together in the backroom. (about 40+) for crowding reasons as well as weight. Other are left with the leaves still on unitl they decide to drop them. Some remain active and some that want to go dormant do. Sometimes when a tree of mine is to big or to heavy, i place a beach towel down and place the tree on it and drag it across the room to place where i want it. This works great!! I then dont have to bother hubby with the other 30 plus trees..LOL! He's happy, I'm happy!!! Also cutting those wonderful stems will hold you back from any inflos...once you cut, then you will have to wait unless you stagger prune...

Bellig, I couldnt help but notice you are from VB. It is wonderful to see a fellow Va Beach person enjoying Plumeria!!! Just wanted to say Hi!!! : )

Im new to this Forum. (Daves) I have been over at another forum which i really enjoy. A good friend introduced me to some of the threads here and i decided to come over and say "HI"...

Take care everyone...

Laura
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

December 13, 2011
2:50 AM

Post #8927393

Welcome to DG loveplants!!

Belle
loveplants2VB
Virginia Beach, VA
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8928584

Thank you Belle!!!

Laura

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Plumerias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What about a "new forum" for plumerias? Plumeriagod 56 Apr 25, 2007 2:15 AM
Feeding CaCajun 9 May 12, 2007 12:09 AM
underplanting plumies vossner 21 May 19, 2008 10:33 PM
have neve hard this happen to one of my plumies before junglebob 56 Sep 19, 2007 3:28 AM
Panama plumies vossner 53 Apr 15, 2007 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America