Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Shady Gardens: Variety reverting to species?

Communities > Forums > Shady Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Shady GardensReplies: 2, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dicentra63
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 6b)

October 22, 2011
7:31 PM

Post #8859706

In 2007, I planted two kinds of Lamium maculatum in the same bed: "Aureum" and "Pink Pewter." Both are deliriously happy.

In mid-summer of this year, I discovered that around the edges of one of my Aureum specimens, the plain old species was growing, as shown in the photo.

Is the Aureum reverting to species? If so, what's the mechanism for this phenomenon? These guys don't reseed, do they?

(The Pink Pewter don't seem affected.)

Thumbnail by dicentra63
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 24, 2011
10:08 AM

Post #8861578

I used to have 4 or 5 varieties that seemed to diminish while what appeared to be an unremarkable type (like yours) started to dominate. Ended up ripping all of them out as the roots were invading other perennials.
dicentra63
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 6b)

October 29, 2011
8:47 PM

Post #8868656

I finally found time to take a closer look at the plants, and indeed, the species is a separate plant: it just wormed its way among the species leaves.

I didn't know that Lamiums formed seeds: they're so good at self-cleaning that I never observed seed pods.

Thanks!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Shady Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dogwood Shrubs (flowering) Goldengirl 18 May 19, 2008 11:50 PM
info on shade-loving vine? Horseshoe 29 Oct 2, 2007 6:30 AM
Just a little shady corner. CountryGardens 7 Jul 22, 2009 8:17 PM
share your shade garden pics IowaAnn 198 Sep 15, 2008 4:42 PM
Problem area-wet shade, Please help Shadyfolks 52 Sep 13, 2008 3:04 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America