Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Seed Germination: Sowing Elderberry Seeds

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 2, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nhuntley
Holladay, UT
(Zone 5a)

October 23, 2011
1:42 PM

Post #8860475

For some odd reason, I've got an obsession with Elderberry this year! I've been trying to get starts from mine by taking cuttings, but I haven't been very successful. I've got a few growing, but most have dried up and died. I just did a few more today, and they'll go in the unheated greenhouse for the winter.

A book that I have says that you should sow the seeds in Autumn outside in an open frame. I'm not sure exactly what an open frame is. Having a frame that isn't covered makes no sense!

I'd love to know if anyone here has had luck getting them to grow from seed, and if you have, did you just leave the pots outside for the winter? I plan on leaving some outside, and putting some in the non-heated greenhouse, just to see if anything works, but I'd prefer to know if one is better than the other, or if I'm just wasting my time! My Elderberry is the common green one. Nothing fancy, but I do love it!

Thanks for any advice!

Natalie

Thumbnail by nhuntley
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

October 24, 2011
2:33 AM

Post #8861074

The seeds need to be planted in autumn, either in an unheated greenhouse, either outside.
The big problem is that birds and other animals love the seed, so they are often eaten.
To avoid this you can use the winter sowing method: Use plastic containers with a lit and make small holes in the container and the lit to have rain and drainage.
The seeds will germinate next spring.

Jonna
nhuntley
Holladay, UT
(Zone 5a)

October 24, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8862080

Thanks Jonna,

My husband and I just finished building our greenhouse a few minutes ago! It's unheated, so I'll give it a try in there! It's also sealed all along the bottom, so no birds or animals can get in. I'm so excited about the greenhouse!!

Natalie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America