Tin Man for the garden

Phoenix, AZ

Got this idea on "the other site". I had no idea how hard it would be to find a metal funnel! He'll look much nicer once he rusts.

Thumbnail by Fish_knees
Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

How very Cool

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

You did a very good job on that, Fish. The rust will add his "character". Rusty stuff is one of my things too. ^_^ Do you weld?

This was made by a retired professor of a local university here. He titled it, "Old Friends Hang Around" and it resides in his garden.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Phoenix, AZ

I have often wished I knew how to weld....sigh....

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Me too. My daddy used to weld on the farm. I do so wish I had paid attention to what he was doing.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh if you knew how to weld Fishy, you would need a bigger yard! LOL!

Cute items both of you.

Crossville, TN

Here is one my DH made for our Grandson...I posted it when I was very new to this lovely garden!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/129916/?hl=Carl%5C%27s+Tin+Man

Thumbnail by roadrunner
Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Very nice, rr. I think I may need to make one. Was it welded, glued, riveted or ? Wait, I'll go look at the link. :)

Crossville, TN

Lots of info in the link. He was such a perfectionist...wonder why he ever married me? LOL I miss him...gone 10 years this Dec. 21st. Jo

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I know you must miss him a lot. :(

Yes, there was lots of info. I see he has wires. :)

Is your tin man still around?

Crossville, TN

I don't thinks so ...the DGS is now almost 17 YO and likes to play with dolls...REAL ONES!

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

LOL. That sounds about right. Time marches on. Nothing stays the same, does it?

Phoenix, AZ

Love that one Jo!

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

All the tin men and "Old Friends Hanging Out" sculptures are just adorable. What a very nice array of flowers and blue bottle tree in your background too, Fish.

Crossville, TN

Thanks, Susan....I hope I get to see you again next year! Jo

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Looking forward to it, Jo!

Grand Junction, CO(Zone 6a)

Fish_knees- how did you fasten the cans together? I love the concept.
Ladyj

Phoenix, AZ

I punched holes in the cans and ran wire through, twisted the wire to keep them together.

Victoria Harbour, ON

I also am on the lookout for tins..lol. My garden displays a lot of rusted art!

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Me too! I like rust. Just ask the funky chicken. ^_^

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Victoria Harbour, ON

Cute..bought a piece last year about 10-12' high with Canada geese, 3 geese range from3 to 5' and are weighed by a rock, acts like windchime in the wind..went to visit the welder a few weeks ago, he has a beautiful blue heron, about 5' tall, a must have..hace 3 already but they are more modern..can see we are anxious for spring!

Thanks-Fish_knees Will post when done

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

I have saved a lot of cans for this project. With all the stuff DH saves he may have a tin funnel around for the hat. I love rusty things too, I'm so bad about leaving things out in the weather so this tin man will be perfect for me.

Dewey, AZ(Zone 7a)

I love the tin-men. Anything I can make that is SUPPOSED to stay out and rust is all right by me.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Got to love 'rusted art', no upkeep

found a photo of 2012 purchase

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

On the lookout for tin funnels. Betty, love your garden art.

Phoenix, AZ

I got the tin funnel at a auto supply store. It was hard to find, everything is plastic now.

Finished my Tin Man...now a question...any suggestions how to keep it from blowing over? I thought about putting cement in the lower legs but hadn't figured exactly how yet.Thanks
Judy

Dewey, AZ(Zone 7a)

Judy, can he be threaded onto rebar in the ground?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images