Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Looking for a few Id's #1

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Anyone?

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

If it is the one in the middle it looks like Hackberry.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks Josephine!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

ok now it is a hackberry...to keep or not to keep? Pros and cons please.

Hackberries are very useful trees, they make fruit for birds and food for butterflies, the question would be, is it in the right place? Check the link all the way to the bottom; http://wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=CELA

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks Josephine. It has to go as it is in totally the wrong place.

Maybe you could move it.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

I have seedlings all over the yard. I will leave 1 or 2 of them in a better location :) If I try to dig this one I will hurt alot of other Large plants and trees too close to it.

Good idea, here is another link; http://wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=CEOC

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Just remember that once the Hackberry is large, you will have to pull about 500 Hackberry seedlings every spring to summer. Just sayin.
By the way, Hackberries are edible. The thin outside tastes a little like hot cinnamon. The only decent Hackberries are the one with soft M&M seeds on the insides. If they are hard seeded, not worth it. You can even make a cookie dough type substance by smashing all the soft seeds with a mallet.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Hackberry trees are also know for breaking easily in storms. I had three 40 footers come down in one storm.

Belton, TX

The hackberry is a pest tree around Lake Belton...the first to be impacted by disease, storms, drought, you name it and jujube is so right about the seedlings...we have taken them out of our property, but the fact that they provide for the birds means I clean out seedlings constantly...a lot more than 500 and I don't have a tree...

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

neighbor let a volunteer grow in the corner of our yards. I hate that tree. The shade is not worth the multiple problems it brings. Every single berry must germinate.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.