Photo by Melody

Container Gardening: Containers and powdery mildew??

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 1, Views: 60
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mstish
Portland, OR
(Zone 8b)

October 23, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8860772

Hi everyone. I rarely post in the containers thread but I am hoping one of you could help me with a problem.
I had clematis in these barrels and continually had to spray for powdery mildew. Finally I moved the clems to the ground (they needed more root space anyway). I would like to re-use these barrels and the dirt.
What can I rinse through the dirt and what can I clean the inside of the barrels with that will kill the powdery mildew?

Thumbnail by mstish
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 23, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8860850

ms, it's a problem of fungal which is tough to irradicate. If I were you. I'll bag the contaminated dirt and toss them. Then clean the barrel with soap and water. Once the barrels are cleaned. I'd spray them down with 1:10 chrorox : water mixture to kill the powdery mildew. Then allow the barrel to dry out under the sun naturally. Best of lucks.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 424 Oct 13, 2014 10:48 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America