Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Ripening Green Tomatoes or Using Them in a Recipe: crate o' maters

Communities > Forums > Article: Ripening Green Tomatoes or Using Them in a Recipe
bookmark
Forum: Article: Ripening Green Tomatoes or Using Them in a RecipeReplies: 4, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

October 24, 2011
4:26 AM

Post #8861139

This brought back great memories.
My husband and I moved to Oklahoma about thirty five years ago, in a Volkswagon beetle, with everything but our furniture packed into the trunk and back seat and a baby on my lap (these were the days before car seats were available for babies!)
We had been gardening since spring in the Rockies and, when we left in August, turned our beautiful veggie patch over to gardening neighbors whom we knew would enjoy the produce that we knew would be ripening as we pulled out of the driveway.
But we just couldn't bear to leave all those fresh, plump, green tomatoes behind. So, we washed, wrapped and packed them into a crate and gave them pride of space on the back seat.
We lived with the in-laws for several months after arriving, so the tomatoes went into the "root cellar" beneath the house.
The air temperature and moisture level must have been perfect, because we didn't lose a single tomato and relished these beauties from September through December that year. Every time I sliced into one I felt like I'd brought a little of the Rockies with us.
dixied35
Smethport, PA

October 24, 2011
6:33 AM

Post #8861290

Wish I had known this before the frost got my 5 tomato plants! I got so sick of making sauce, etc. and since everyone has 'em, I couldn't give them away (even at Church). Next year I'm only going to plant 3 Roma tomato plants - the 2 cherry plants I planted this year pretty much took over and none of us like them-I don't know what I planted them in the first place - lol. BTW, we didn't lose even 1 tomato to a bug, etc. - planting basil and marigolds seemed to do the trick!
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

October 26, 2011
2:51 PM

Post #8864804

Those cherry tomatoes are great to freeze and use in soups and stews during the winter. Who cares if they split open when they freeze and look a little weird when you are just going to toss them in a pot and cook them anyway? I used to freeze them right in the zip lock baggies. I hated when I ran out of them sometime in February! I think I'll plant some more of those next year as the cost of canned, salt-free tomatoes is getting higher each time I go to buy them.
pastapicker
Columbus, OH

October 27, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8866221

I second the vote for the cherry tomatoes. I find them much easier than full sized. Unfortunately, this fall the deer have decimated my three huge plants and my plans to both freeze and make tomato preserves were decimated as well.
dixied35
Smethport, PA

February 13, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9005205

Thanks for the cherry tomato info. This year, however, I'm going to plant them in a 'hanging' container because they really grow wild enough to overcome my other tomato plants. BTW, Roma are the BEST for sauce!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Ripening Green Tomatoes or Using Them in a Recipe Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Question darius 0 Oct 21, 2011 6:00 PM
green tomato recipes gardengirl86 1 Oct 24, 2011 6:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America