Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Ripening Green Tomatoes or Using Them in a Recipe: green tomato recipes

Communities > Forums > Article: Ripening Green Tomatoes or Using Them in a Recipe
bookmark
Forum: Article: Ripening Green Tomatoes or Using Them in a RecipeReplies: 1, Views: 36
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardengirl86
Middleboro, MA

October 24, 2011
5:12 AM

Post #8861177

Thanks for the wonderful recipes. Already used my green tomatoes in green tomato mincemeat. And don't forget green tomato pie. One question, is it really necessary to put all of that salt in the pickled green tomatoes? My husband and I are both on a low-sodium diet.
dixied35
Smethport, PA

October 24, 2011
6:26 AM

Post #8861283

Salt acts as the preservative - without it you may wind up poisoned instead of 'salted' - any pickled canning requires a lot of salt. You can rinse a lot of the salt off the canned stuff before you use it, but you need it to safely preserve what you are canning.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Ripening Green Tomatoes or Using Them in a Recipe Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Question darius 0 Oct 21, 2011 6:00 PM
crate o' maters jazzy1okc 4 Feb 13, 2012 10:24 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America