Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Sewing and Quilting: Sewing for baby question

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 15, Views: 166
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dogs_N_Petunias
Cleburne, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 24, 2011
5:20 AM

Post #8861188

I finally have a grandbaby of my own. She's 1300 miles away, so can't try things on her. The new SIDS prevention guidelines say nothing in the crib except the baby. In other words, no quilts. My DIL doesn't like anything I make simply because she doesn't like me. LOL. But Son wants me to make sleep sacks for baby since quilts can't be used. I have not sewn garments for at least 18 years. Quilters don't do zippers but guess I'll have to learn how again.

I bought this McCall's pattern and a couple pieces of fleece. Son wants them made in the sleeveless version (Pattern View B) so baby can wear undershirt with sleeves. I worry that fleece over all that will be too warm in a house with central heat. I think flannel would be great but the pattern says knits only. Since the front opens all the way with a zipper, I cannot understand why it would have to be stretchable knit. Maybe pattern specifies that because it also includes the baby jumpsuit and I know that has to be stretchable knit???

Anyone have experience making these?

Thumbnail by Dogs_N_Petunias
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 24, 2011
5:41 AM

Post #8861224

wish I could help you but I know nothing about sewing for babies. However, I don't think it will be too warm. Babies seem to like it when they are warm and they don't seem to like drafts...

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 24, 2011
7:17 AM

Post #8861346

Why not try one in each fabric? My 2 newest great granddaughters are totally different. One likes to be warm and snuggly, the other is a hot body, the less clothes the better.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 24, 2011
9:26 AM

Post #8861532

If the pattern is for knits make it in knits. Go to "www.fabric.com" lots of knits for babies. Serger is good to work with knits but your machine must have zig/zag stitch which would work as well. Helene

Flannel would work just make it 1/4" + larger. You need to wash flannel or knits to get the shrinkage out.

This message was edited Oct 24, 2011 11:27 AM

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

October 24, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8862078

I agree I think fleece would be much too warm for baby to sleep in. It would be fine to make with fleece if the sack was used for car seat going from house to car but no not for sleeping. I also agree flannel would be a better choice over fleece for a little more warmth than knit.
Cher

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 25, 2011
9:08 AM

Post #8863051

use your lighting stitch for knits. If you use flannel, add a little bit so baby has some stretching room inside it.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2011
9:00 PM

Post #8877118

that pattern sure looks like fleece to me!! and what about the old "dr denton" pj's we had as kids...the ones with the feet!!! My kids wore them all the time when they were little...they were fleece, thin , but fleece...

where is the baby living?? if it is in a cold area, and the Momma is gonna be worried about blankets / quilts...thin fleece might be a good idea???

my kids tossed and turned so much..I was always worried about them getting uncovered. Did not have to worry any more after putting them in those footed pj's!!! I have a 29 yr old, wants some for Christmas!!! I found a pattern, plan on making some for him !!!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2011
9:16 AM

Post #8877587

geez, my boys grew up in footed, 1 piece jammy sleepers from Sears until they were 12... when the oldest one grew out of his, the younger one graduated into them eventually. They really didn't need blankets on their beds, although they kept their Christmas sleeping bags on top, came in handy when the winters got to 0... I found the non-slip gripper soles to replace the feet, and they lasted for years. The kids wore them all morning when they were home. They even wore them under their snowsuits when they went out play in the snow.!

Those little baby bags are cute, if you can find a lightweight knit for babies, that would work. I think I'd just make them from flannel unless they lived in colder climates, then use fleece or such. Mom gave me an old one for my dolls that was made long, like the christening gowns from years ago, the bottom had a drawstring to close it off, to keep babies feet warm and make changing diapers easier. Babies grow so fast that a certain length would be too short too quickly, seems like...Or you could make the bag longer, then use snaps or a velcro closure to fold up the extra on the sides, then let out when the baby gets longer..
brngroba
Coastal Texas, TX
(Zone 9b)

November 6, 2011
8:38 PM

Post #8879675

Make more than one and in different fabrics. Some days it's colder than others even with central heating. Flannel would be nice with summer air conditioning. Things are easier the second and third time you make them and you'll be over the concern for zippers in no time.
Don't worry about the DIL so much. Over the years the child will like what you send and will wear the items despite the mother. Use holiday prints and make some simple things like bibs, burp rags and you may win her over as early as this holiday season. And go ahead and do what you know best. The quilt you make doesn't have to be for a baby bed. It's nice to have a quilt to put on the floor for baby to play on when she's a little older. Make sure you use a satin-y binding or something touchy-feely that most babies like.
Sew while she's little because she may out grow home mades.
Loved hearing BarefootT's 29 year old wants footed pj's!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8887113

Thunder, 29? that is SOOOOOOo cute!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2011
9:33 AM

Post #8888236

yea, 29 !! don't tell him I told ya!!!! my soldier boy !! Malena got some as a gift, and he said he remembered them from when he was a kid, and he wished he could get some!! so I found a pattern, and I am gonna make him some!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 13, 2011
10:35 AM

Post #8888315

Walmart carries them in adult sizes. LOL

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8890418

I have not seen them that big!! maybe that would fit a twelve year old?? and with Tinkerbell on them!!! sure he'd just love that !! LOL
I have seen them advertised on tv, but they want $49.99 plus shipping and handling!!! and Vermont country store has them in their catalog, I think they want 69 or 79 $$ plus shipping!!! It will be fun to make him some, I just hope I do them big enough, he has been working out, and doing a lot of running, so I am guessing he is a bit more muscular than when I last saw him... DIL says he has awesome 6 pack abs!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2011
5:04 PM

Post #8890424

I didn't check the sizes but hubby saw them tonight and said "wow those are long. They were in adult P.J. dept. Seems the designs were Christmas-y.
busy_gardener
Madison, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2011
11:42 AM

Post #8894315

I just happened on this thread, and will throw in my 2 cents worth. I worked in a fabric store, and fleece is usually made out of recycled plastic bottles. If there were a fire, and a baby was wearing PJs made out of this modern material, it would melt right onto the skin. That would cause horrific burns. That is probably why the pattern says knits as the suggested fabric. When you look at fleece or flannel, look on the bolt or fabric, and see if it says "not suggested for chilren's sleepwear". Children's sleepwear that is sold is required to be made out of flame retardent material. When we sew, we want to be as careful as we can. What fabrics are made out of today, aren't what they were made out ten or even five years ago. Just thought I'd let you know what I was thinking.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

November 19, 2011
10:06 AM

Post #8896880

busy- ,very good reminder.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America