Photo by Melody

Books, Movies, and TV: The book you never want to get!!!

Communities > Forums > Books, Movies, and TV
bookmark
Forum: Books, Movies, and TVReplies: 6, Views: 159
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ghopper
Brewster, MN
(Zone 4b)

October 24, 2011
6:12 AM

Post #8861262

Just wanted to offer this warning as this situation actually happened here. Someone brought a book home from the local library and found it to be infested with bed bugs! They had to spend hundreds of dollars getting rid of them and so did the library. The bugs were in hard cover books and were seen crawling out of the book on to a night stand. I wonder of freezing the books would kill the bugs and eggs. Just sayin'. Be careful.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 23, 2011
9:21 PM

Post #8903584

ugggghhhhh.
I work in the library.
ghopper
Brewster, MN
(Zone 4b)

November 24, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8904282

My thoughts exactly! But I suppose it makes perfect sense from the bug's point of view. I wonder if putting the books in the freezer for a few hours would kill them. I'm sure zapping them in the microwave would do the job but what would it do to the hard cover bindings?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 24, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8904305

Freezing for a few hours may not be a sure kill.
Microwave would probably kill bugs (xplode them) but not sure if that would hurt the glue.
Insect collection uses a kill jar: a cotton ball soaked in alcohol sealed with the bug will kill the bug. I think if I were concerned I would seal the book in a large Ziploc with alcohol soaked cotton, not letting the book get wet but so the fumes would permeate.

Or you could buy a No Pest Strip (10$) and seal that in with books. Caution, No Pest Strip has lots of warnings, you use them in spaces that are not occupied more than four hours a day. Scary stuff.

I had termites come from the wall into a paperback book that was on a shelf- that creeped me out!
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 27, 2011
3:31 PM

Post #8908084

This happened where I live also! I go into one branch of the county library, and know one librarian quite well. She asked if I ever go to the main branch. I said no - she said that is good because they are having an awful time with bed bugs.

That was the last time I went to the library. From now on if I can't download it - I won't be reading it!

Although I did just get a book in the clearance rack at a grocery. Maybe that was not the best thing either??? But it was Cutting for Stone and I have been waiting forEVER for it to be available to download. My Mom has it now, so I still have not read it!

One more reason to be thankful for e-books!
prophetbob
Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9143345

They say the way to kill bedbugs is to heat them up to 120 degrees for several hours. That's what the professionals do when they snake those big tunnels through people's windows in an effort to treat their homes. Just a thought.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2012
2:11 AM

Post #9237427

So leave the books in your car? This summer in the US, just about any car would reach that temp! LOL

prophetbob wrote:They say the way to kill bedbugs is to heat them up to 120 degrees for several hours. That's what the professionals do when they snake those big tunnels through people's windows in an effort to treat their homes. Just a thought.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Books, Movies, and TV Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Edgar Rice Burroughs: At the Earth's Core dave 8 Jul 12, 2007 7:54 AM
Harry Potter?? evelyn_inthegar 63 Feb 23, 2008 5:25 AM
Stephen King's Dark Tower gardenwife 40 Dec 20, 2010 9:34 PM
What's The Story With Johnny Appleseed? VGMKY 13 Jul 26, 2008 2:00 AM
Fictionwise FREE ebooks drop 4 May 28, 2007 3:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America