Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: Thanksgiving Swap Chat and Reveal

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 234, Views: 1,274
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

October 24, 2011
9:52 AM

Post #8861560

New thread for Thanksgiving Swap and Reveal. Please try to mail by November 17. If that's a problem, please let me know.
We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1224241/

Suggestions: (Please check the previous thread for your particular swap buddies wants/likes/dislikes, etc.)
1. No more than $20.00 plus postage
2. Include 2 or 3 recipes that you traditionally cook for Thanksgiving (you could even include the ingredients and a baking pan for one of the recipes)
3. If your buddy says its okay, send plates, napkins, tablecloth, etc. for their dinner
4. Send at least one small plant that is fall-themed (orange, red, yellow,etc.) or some bulbs that will bloom next spring
5. Send an explanation of a tradition that your family does every year
6. Send 2 or 3 packs of seeds that are fall-colored
7. Send a box of chocolates or some other sweet treat that your buddy may like
8. send a small harvest wreath or a craft idea with supplies to make the Thanksgiving/harvest craft
9. a fall/harvest scented candle or potpourri
10. send gourds or other natural decorations

love, julie

This message was edited Oct 24, 2011 10:54 AM

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2011
10:12 AM

Post #8861584

Got my spot!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 24, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8861887

Did a little shopping today and didn't get a lot but I did come home with some very good ideas. I've also discovered that Autumn has a definate scent of pumpkin, cider and spice. I stopped by the post office to pick up stamps and mail out a little something as a housewarming gift. I picked up a couple of priority boxes. I don't want to purchase anything too big for the boxes available.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8862020

While at a craft fair earlier this month, I picked up a couple of goodies and looks like they're going to work well for my Buddy. Guess I should start working on recipes.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2011
9:42 PM

Post #8862503

whew I found you! LOL

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2011
6:11 AM

Post #8862770

I'm here for a minute off to shop soon
susie

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8862915

There was a festival in town this past weekend, and I missed it. Could have found something there.

Well then, to my buddy:
Don't sweat over what you'll get me. As I had said, only thing I'll cringe from is the color Pink. IF it's live plant or bulbs that produce pink flowers, that's okay.. as it's natural.
I'm sure all knew here that I'm diabetic. It's okay for me to receive regular desserts, as I'll just take extra insulin :D

You all have a good day!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2011
3:20 PM

Post #8863472

My least favorite color inside or out used to be shades of Orange but I absolutely adore them now and take cues from Nature too, Jaybird.

Our leaves are just stunning in warm shades of Orange, Yellow, Bronze and dark Reds. If only these temps would hold with days in the 70's and nights in the 40's I'd be a happy camper year-round with the windows open and the heat pump off. The week-end is going to be downright nippy and wouldn't be surprised if hubby builds a fire.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Click the image for an enlarged view.

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

October 25, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8863618

OMG! That picture looks like a little slice of heaven!

Already picked up a couple of things for my buddy, but I want to send something homemade.So, I still have some shopping to do to get the things I need. You all have a good night. I'm off to Trais' football game at 8.

love, julieanne
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2011
3:22 AM

Post #8864065

Just waiting a bit before I bake something to include in my box. To my swap partner, just letting you know that we are leaving NY on the 16th of November. We're snowbirds traveling on to Cocoa Beach. Several stops along the way, won't reach CB until after Thanksgiving.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2011
10:16 AM

Post #8864497

Susan, the colors are mundane brown around here, with glimpses of orange.
Wish we are doing a road trip to the mountains where fall's majestic beauty is displayed.

Julie, how's your voice? After a football game, mine is always hoarse :D

Have a safe trip Mittsy!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2011
2:27 PM

Post #8864776

Most of our leaves have blown off the trees. Lots of wind and rain here. SNOW is predicted for Thursday.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2011
4:55 PM

Post #8864968

Ours will probably be brown to nil after the projected winds and rains move in tomorrow, Jaye.

Snow, Mittsy? No wonder you can't wait to head South. Looks like Colorado got a pretty good blitzing today. Certainly not my idea of Fall and don't care if it's January before we see the white stuff.

I shopped a bit more for my Buddy this afternoon and found a couple of cool Autumn goodies to go with those already in her box. It's filling up nicely but still need a dedicated trip to pick out just the right craft item or project. Hope to do that Saturday if not before.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2011
10:40 PM

Post #8865349

gorgeous picture, Fruity.
SNOW?? ugh!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2011
6:01 AM

Post #8865525

http://davesgarden.com/contest/2011-photography-contest/
Link for the photo contest.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2011
10:19 AM

Post #8865824

It's calling for 60s temps and I have the air conditioner on!!!!
This is crazeeeee... instead it's in the 80s.
I left the house this morning, wearing long sleeves and return home sweating from the truck to the front door!

BUT, I'll take the heat.. can't tolerate snow!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2011
2:34 PM

Post #8866113

My son in Amarillo has 4-6 inches of snow in the ground today. That is too cold for these old bones!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2011
2:38 PM

Post #8866117

I bought craft supplies today before grocery shopping and know what I want to make for my Buddy. Now the trick is getting it to turn out like the vision in my head. Although my head and hands don't always cooperate with each other, so we shall see.

While I was gone, a neighbor came and helped Hubby with a load of wood they stacked on our utility trailer and parked it next to the back door. Knowing me with the chilly rainy mornings we're supposed to have this week-end down in the 30's, a fire in the wood stove will feel pretty good. Last year we didn't have our first fire until about the middle of November.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8866120

Is that unusual, LK?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2011
2:46 PM

Post #8866124

It is for this time of year. They usually get a few inches of snow, but not till later in the year!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8866167

When Fort Worth gets a scant 1-2" of snow, my SIL calls all excited like a kid at Christmas. Course that's not til...hmmm December at the earliest.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2011
4:39 AM

Post #8866654

LK, We use to live in Hereford. Son was born in Canyon. We went to Amarillo every week to go bowling. ^_^ Course, that was when I was in my 20's. One thing I missed while there was snow, so when I heard about the snow in Amarillo I knew that was so unusual!!!!! When I lived in Colorado my daughter came to visit in October. It was snowing pretty good as we crossed the divide and she kept saying "this just isn't right, this just isn't right" ... LOL We might get some flurries or dustings in late October in SE Kansas, but not all out snow. The earliest I remember is 10/22 and it was just flurries.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2011
5:05 AM

Post #8866677

This was his yard yesterday afternoon! All he wanted to do is go find a parking lot to do donuts in!

Thumbnail by taters55

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8866817

LOL!!!!!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2011
7:26 AM

Post #8866821

LOL.. he is still a kid at heart, LK!!!
irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8867455

A box came in the mail yesterday and I didn't even give it a thought that I could be receiving my Thanksgiving surprises from my swap buddy! I was expecting a box with plants so I didn't open it right away because we were heading out the door to work at my mom's house. I just got back and opened the box and WOWSER! What surprises were in that box! It wasn't the plants I was expecting! LOL! Thank you so much Susie/Deejay! (Suffice to say 3 of the pumpkin bars have been eaten without the cream cheese frosting! My DS, DH and I ate one each before we even found the frosting! LOL!)

This is what was in my box...picture posted too!

Oven mitt and potholder (I will definitely use this on Thanksgiving Day!)
Gooseberry Patch Recipe Book "Gifts for Giving"
Container with Homemade Peanut Brittle with recipe (Susie's brother made this)
Container with Homemade Pumpkin Bars with can of Cream Cheese frosting (made by Susie)
bag of Coffee Cake & Spice Potpourri
Potpourri Refresher - Tuscany Fields
Soft fuzzy slippersocks (my favorite slipper)
20" scarecrow for decoration
Martha White Cheddar Garlic Biscuit mix
Turkey Gravy mix
Nobake Cheese Cake mix with can of Cherry Pie Filling for topping
Gold Glass Turkey votive holder
package of Apple Recipe Cards
Apple Cookie Cutter with recipe for Apple Cookies
Annie B Carmels
baggie of mixed zinnia seeds from Susie's garden
9X12 container with a handle (a lot of items were packed in it)

Thank you so much Susie! I will use everything for our dinner Thanksgiving Day! Except for the pumpkin bars which won't make it much past tomorrow!

Debbie

Thumbnail by irisluvr0252

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2011
12:23 AM

Post #8867685

awsome!Debbie! Susie is great, isn't she?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2011
4:05 AM

Post #8867716

Wow, look at all those goodies you got! Great box of goodies from Susie!

My box went out yesterday. It should be there Monday.

This message was edited Oct 29, 2011 6:06 AM

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

October 29, 2011
9:13 AM

Post #8867952

Oh, those pumpkin bars sound yummy! Great box, irisluvr, and gracious giving on your part Susie! You girls are so generous! having a halloween party for the kids tonight so I gotta get moving on to spooky things! love you all, julie

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 29, 2011
12:17 PM

Post #8868162

afternoon everyone Debbie so glade you like I Have told many of you That I Have a a HUGE Plastic tub Filled with Gooodies that I Get On Sale After the HOLIDAYS 50%-70% off sales Best time to buy for the next year Like those Cake carriers I Bought 5 for they were only marked as $1 ea rack price was $6.97 no not trying to be cheap hear but they are nice to carries cookies & Cakes to special Occassion or even to store your over due bills into :) hehe .
same with the Turkey Votas they were on sale for .25 ea but they also work well as Toothpick holder for the guess.
I love cookie cutters but i will never be able to use all the ones i bought on sale & no will not tell yet for we have a xmas swap coming up so thats all Folk :)) Just happy you like :) & all arrived UNBROKEN :)
Did I Send the recipe for the Pumpkin Bars ? if Not I Will.

well back in with daddy Jim went after more of their things so back on later tonight .
susie
irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

October 29, 2011
5:09 PM

Post #8868449

Yes! You did send the recipe for the Pumpkin Bars AND the Peanut Brittle! DH loves both! (so do I!) He keeps asking "can I have another one of those pumpkin bars?"
I love everything and nothing was broken! You did an awesome job packing! Thanks again!

We may be back to square one with my mom's house :( The buyer decided to do an inspection on the septic system and had a guy check it out. They made huge holes in the yard and came to the conclusion that it was a finger system and 'encroaches' on the other property we have (my grandparents place). Well it isn't a finger system and after the septic tank, there is a tile line that goes to the back of the 7 acre property and joins the other properties along the county road and they all drain together across another neighbor's property. He wants an additional $5000 off the already $20,000 low bid that we accepted (cause it was a cash offer) and we will not go any lower. So the ball is back in his court and he will probably back out.

Everyone please say prayers that he doesn't back out and goes through with the sale!

I'm tired and I'm on my way to just watch TV and probably fall to sleep very soon!

Debbie
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8868562

What a sweet box of goodies, Debbie. Gotta say I'm partial to the Scarecrow and how appropriate the cookbook is named "Gifts for Giving". That was a special twist on Thanksgiving, Susie. You sure were the early bird. I finished my craft project today and won't be far behind you mailing to my Buddy.

Debbie, if you know it isn't a finger septic system, you're doing the right thing standing your ground. Laws vary from state to state, but you should be able to prove your point going by County records or a Deed.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2011
5:04 AM

Post #8868818

Debbie, I know that is so disappointing. Went thru that with my Mom's house and just an emotional roller coaster. When we built our house we had the spetic people out showed them where the property line ended, came home from work and the spetic tank sit out in the neighbors field, luckily nothing was in the field, So they had to move the whole thing, this time we stayed there to watch because DH just knew they were going to hurry thru it...

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

October 30, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8869670

prayers for you, Debbie!

I was informed that someone's box is being mailed tomorrow! I feel like I'm slacking because I still need to do some shopping, but got to wait till I get my check on Nov. 1! Will be shopping after that, though!

love to all, julie
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2011
7:05 PM

Post #8869771

My buddy is either going to love the craft item I made for her or won't be able to wait and set in on fire...lol

The Nor'easter that brought early snows to the higher elevations of VA and WV over the week-end and traveled up the East Coast by-passed us, we just had two days of cold rain. Today the sun was shining and the high was in the mid-40's.

A neighbor brought me a Pumpkin today that she grew from a seed and it still had frost on it. No kidding...Frost on the Pumpkin. We've had a fire in our wood stove since Friday and have to admit the heat feels pretty darn good.

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2011
3:55 AM

Post #8870006

my box goes out today.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2011
8:28 AM

Post #8870327

HAPPY HALLOWEEN...BOOOOOO!

We are still warming up every few days...yeah! High 60's today high 70's tomorrow like 78 or something. Yes we do have stupid weather, frost last night...rofl.

Fruity glad you didn't get all that snow, it is awful to see all those pictures of those trees! Can't imagine anyone burning something you made!

Ok, you guys scared me I thought I was late again...rofl. I found some cool stuff on sale, love sales...

Thumbnail by happgarden

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2011
2:34 PM

Post #8870824

OMG I just got the biggest box in history...holey moley girl!
I just have a sec back out the door to drive 1hr 20min to go trick or treating with DGD.
It is from Linda Kay, you guys wait until you see this thing... ;) ;) ;)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2011
4:35 PM

Post #8870987

Years ago when the neighborhood kids were small, we used to get lots of trick or treaters but haven't had a single one in at least three years. Schools, malls, and trick or trunk events have taken precedence over door-to-door for the little beggars around here and expect it's a safer way for them, not to mention parents and grandparents don't have to worry so much.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2011
6:44 AM

Post #8871631

trick or trunk events :) Love that saying Fruit just 3 of the little beggars last night just our little zoie & her 2 little friends .
nice cool fall day here so time to roll up the hoses for the year , you all have a great day will check back later today .
susie
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2011
7:38 AM

Post #8871693

Went to my DDIL and DS's house and they have tons of tricker treaters, and it is sooooooooooooooooo much fun.
First I will show some halloween pics then from my box and my box is soooooooooooooooooooo great!

This is a ghost, he was on sheet rock stilts and must of been 10 feet tall, it was so great. He scared lots of preteen girls, lots of screams and laughs. He could almost run in those things, he was a hit all night up and down the streets.

Thumbnail by happgarden

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2011
7:42 AM

Post #8871701

Here is he walking around...so funny.
The streets were just covered in kids and parents all dressed up, I just love going out there.

Thumbnail by happgarden

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2011
7:57 AM

Post #8871719

I got the best box from this swap from Linda Kay, everything arrived in great shape and amazing wrapping.
I took down the halloween decorations and had everything in the box ready for Thanksgiving decorating, thank you so much, I couldn't have decorated anything this nicely!

Her note says she made the placemats and they are revesible, look closely and you can see that, they are so beautiful. Wish I could do something half that good, they are just beautiful! I couldn't have picked out anything any more perfect if I had spent hours looking.

Then there are 2-towels, 2-potholders, 5-gourds, 1-beautiful pumpkin made with wire and branches, 2-packages of small plates, 2-packages of large plates, 2-packages of napkins, 1-box of pumpkin pie bar, 1-box of apple cider mix, a thanksgiving recipe card book from tast of home, a magazine cooking with Paula, taste of home hearwarming soups...amazing. I read those last night going to DGD's.

Thumbnail by happgarden

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2011
8:01 AM

Post #8871724

Another picture

Thumbnail by happgarden

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2011
8:03 AM

Post #8871728

Another pic, the sun is shining so things are a little light looking but everything is beautiful, thank you sooooooooooo much!

Thumbnail by happgarden

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2011
9:18 AM

Post #8871818

oh how pretty those are just beauty ful happ your going to have the nest looking table in your town :) anyway :)
well daddy needs help back later
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2011
10:43 AM

Post #8871924

My house just looks so Thanksgivingy...rofl. ;) I am a happy girl.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2011
10:44 AM

Post #8871926

So glad everything made the shipping process! Hope you can use it for your feast?
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2011
11:26 AM

Post #8871976

OMG, it is the major major part of the feast, I have a complete table and kitchen set, and it is beautiful. The placemats are just so pretty and you managed to find everything to match them which is amazing to me! I just opened the box and walla Thanksgiving...rofl. How cool is that!

I love magazines and on our car ride, I kept saying ohhhhhhhh my this sounds wonderful, finally DH said please stop reading those I am starving...rofl, we didn't get to eat until around 8:30..rofl.

Everything arrived in beautiful shape, that is some kind of packing stuff you used...I love it.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2011
11:40 AM

Post #8871997

sURE HOPE LINDA GETS ME FOR HER XMAS BUDDY :)))HE HE I COULD USE SOME PLACE MATS COOL ONES WITH LITTLE SNOWMEN OR SANTAS lk yOU ARE GETTIG SO CRAFTY LATELY WHO ARE YOU HANGING OUT WITH BESIDES WET CLOTHS .

OF BET IT IS THAT LITTLE ELF IN OUR GROUP HUN GUESS MAYBE I BETTER START HANGING WITH YOU ALL MORE.
MAYBE IT WILL RUB OFF ON ME .

WELL DADDY IS A BIT NERVOUS TODAY FOR HE GOES IN FOR HIS SURGERY TOMORROW IN THE AM TO HAVE THE TUMOR REMOVED . SO I HAVE BEEN I HERE WITH HIM MOST THE DAY TO REASSURE HIM ALL WILL BE FINE :)

JIM IS JUST PULLING INTO THE YARD HE WENT SHOPPING FOR US SO GUESS I BETTER SIGN OFF & HELP PUT THINGS AWAY.
SO TRY TO GET BACK LATER TONIGHT .

SUSIE

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2011
12:57 PM

Post #8872109

Susie, we will be sending lots of prayers your way for your Dad! Please keep us posted?

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8872340

thank you LK . He will need Prayers if I Have to go back in the house tonight :) OOOOHH He is Trying my patients tonight I Think
so I Turned him over to JIM & Walked out . He gets so stubborn at times so if i walk out on him then he knows he better do it my way :) Just because he had his bath saturday night he don't thinks he needs another just yet for its not WEDS Night ..
anyway forgive me for venting it will be ok I Just do not want say things i should not say in front of my father :) so now I can walk away & Let jim take care of it .

as for me right now I Want to relax & UNWIND SO where is the NEW Facebook link ??? anyone care to share with me or is it for a private group ??
GN All

susie

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2011
4:16 PM

Post #8872359

Susie, go to Facebook, and check your messages. I sent you the link

No, this is not a private group, it is open to anyone that likes miniature gardens.

This message was edited Nov 1, 2011 6:17 PM

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

November 1, 2011
4:51 PM

Post #8872417

Prayers for you and your dad, Susie!

OMG! Lots of goodies and more goodies. Just got back from taking the kids to boxing and then off to Trais football game at 7:30! They are wearing me out!

I still have to go shopping for my buddy, so the hostess here is falling behind (guess its better than falling ON my behind).

Weather is good here. 70's day, 40's-50's at night. Won't last long though. Been so busy trying to get things ready for my business. But with Christmas coming, I'm running low on money and can't buy as much as I need. I'll get there eventually and then it will pay off!

I love all of you and love the goodies you're all sending and receiving! love, julie
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2011
5:26 PM

Post #8872466

We're all pulling for you and your new business, Julie! It sounds like such a great opportunity for you.

OMG happ, your table looks so pretty with your loot. The ghost from last night is a total riot! Probably would have went running away screaming like a girl...lol

You're so talented, LK. What a beautiful job you did sewing the reversible placements. They look like ones I've seen in pricey department stores but yours are much nicer and well-made.

Wishing your Dad the very best possible outcome tomorrow, Susie :) My 90-something year old grandfather lived with us a while when I was a teenager and only wanted my Mom to bathe him on Saturdays. Course she managed to sneak more in during the week, even if they were just sponge baths, but he always complained she was wearing out his skin. Oh the book I could write about how ornery and demanding he was.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2011
5:50 AM

Post #8873047

That is really beautiful Happ, and your Halloween sounded fun too!
Prayers for Daddy, Susie!
Good Luck , Julie on your business endeavor!

I am glad you won the contest LK, it is a very cool Tiny Garden. I entered the DG photot contest, but like last year, I prolly won't know about it.. LOL
My Buddies Box is almost full..

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 3, 2011
2:24 PM

Post #8875029

Mittsy, I got your box of goodies today! WOW, I love all you sent.

Let me start with some recipe cards, hand written cards from Mittsy, note cards, and some marigold seeds...

Thumbnail by taters55

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 3, 2011
2:25 PM

Post #8875031

Some home grown organic garlic and sage! Oh these will be used in a few weeks for our Thanksgiving dinner!

Thumbnail by taters55

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 3, 2011
2:26 PM

Post #8875034

A beautiful hand towel done by no other than Mittsy, and some beautiful candle holders and wonderful smelling candles!

Thumbnail by taters55

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 3, 2011

Post #8875037

Some candy corn, a pumpkin shaped cookie cutter, and a wonderful card that tells of her Thanksgiving family get togethers...

Thumbnail by taters55

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 3, 2011

Post #8875040

The inside of her card!

Thumbnail by taters55

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 3, 2011
2:28 PM

Post #8875042

And last but not least is a BEAUTIFUL rug, made by her 92 year old Grandmother. Mittsy, I will cherish this for a long time!

Thanks so much for a wonderful box of goodies!!! ^_^

Thumbnail by taters55

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 3, 2011
2:56 PM

Post #8875077

Mittsy, do I plant the bulbs now, or wait till spring?
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2011
3:11 PM

Post #8875098

LK, how wonderful! That towel is a knockout with the embroidered tree and leaves too, Mittsy.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 3, 2011
8:20 PM

Post #8875597

LK I LOVE the rug! what a treasure!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 3, 2011
9:12 PM

Post #8875684

Well, I thought I posted all the pictures, but I forgot one. She also include some paper cups for cupcakes, and a box of awesome tea! I just had a cup! YUMMM!!!!

Thumbnail by taters55

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 4, 2011
1:14 AM

Post #8875788

So glad you got your box. My mother crocheted the rug. Yes, please plant the Star of Bethlehem bulbs as soon as you can. I hope you'll be able to use the empty bottles for our fabric dye online class. I have a sister that is a beautician and she's been saving bottles for me.
Mittsy

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2011
6:12 AM

Post #8875940

From pumpkin bars with cream cheese frostings made by Susie.. LK's reversible place mats.. Mittsy's sewing skills put on display.. goodness!!! I want ALL of you for my buddy next year!!

Great job ladies. I don't blame you for not sharing Debbie. I'd have gulped the brittles and the bars in one day. Perfect to snack on watching football.

LK, those place mats truly 'pop'. Of course, talented you would have said it's easy. But those take time to sew! Lovely they are.

Mittsy, so your mum passed her love for crafts on down to you? I love that rug. And again, you excel in doing lovely tea towels.

I've been putting together my box, not ready to mail out yet.
In the meantime, I'm culling great ideas from y'all!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2011
6:24 AM

Post #8875945

Yes, I will use them! Thanks so much for everything!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2011
7:39 AM

Post #8876062

The gifts are so well thought out.. the love shows.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8876064

WOOT WOOT!!!!!!! I got my fan-tab-u-lous box last night from our very own Ms. FruitLoop. BOY ... can that woman pack a box!!!!! ^_^ Each item wrapped in tissue paper so it was like Christmas morning! Took me 4 pictures to get everything! TY, TY. TY Ms. Fruity for the wonderful box! It is all terrific!

First I have to show you my wall hangings and Turkey Windsock. I LOVE the sayings on the hangings and they are definately going into my kitchen.

Thumbnail by Crit

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2011
7:48 AM

Post #8876072

2nd pic

4 Millstone sampler packages of flavored coffee's. I can't wait to try these. I love flavors!!!! Caramel Truffle, French Vanilla, Chocolate Velvet, French Vanilla and Vanilla Nut Cream. MMMMMMMMMMM-mmmmmmmm

A decorative jar of veggies. Has peas, tomatoes, etc. in it. Very pretty!

10 Dutch Iris Bulbs Eye of the Tiger. Oh boy!!!!! Do I need to get these planted now or will they hold in the fridge till spring???

A Fall/Thanksgiving themed set of dishtowels, oven mitt, etc. Really pretty!!!! Plus a Home Sweet Home towel. I'll keep this one up year round. ^_^

Last in the picture is a bag of russian sage seed from her garden.

Thumbnail by Crit

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8876081

I hear your "Woot Woot" Patti!!!
You can breathe now!

Awesome box Patti! You've been busy shopping for unique turkeys!!

ETA.. got name corrected.. need another cup of coffee.

This message was edited Nov 4, 2011 10:59 AM
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2011
7:55 AM

Post #8876086

3rd pic:

A new Bakers Secret muffin pan (boy did I need this! I can throw away the ones starting to rust and not have to use paper liners. LOL)

A jar of Strawberry jam to use in the Martha Stewart Recipe for Strawberry Jam Cakes! ohhh ... ohhh... Looks like I am baking this weekend! (IF I can keep DH out of the jam. He loves strawberry!)

A really GOOD smelling fall soy candle that is Cranberry Orange and a fall candle ring to go around it. OOPS...candle ring is in pic 2. My bad.

4 round sage colored placemats that will work wonderfully on the table.

Thumbnail by Crit

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2011
8:00 AM

Post #8876096

Last but NOT LEAST ... this came in a 2nd box! Susie made this wall hanging and I LOVE it.

It has peacock feathers, mini rose buds and wheat!

Little did she know I was originally from Kansas where the main crop in the state is WHEAT. My ex and I ran a Custom Harvesting crew where we took combines and trucks from Texas up through the middle states cutting WHEAT. Wheat was growing on 3 sides of my property (44 acres) and house when I lived in KS. Wheat is in my blood. lol

You did a super fantastic job on my box Fruity and I can't thank you enough. I am so happy with everything!

I'm putting together my buddies box but still want to get a couple of things together for it. Love all the stuff everyone is getting. Just so awesome! I'm glad you 'talked me into' this swap Julie. big LOL

Thumbnail by Crit

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2011
8:01 AM

Post #8876099

Wow.. speechless at what you got Patti. Certainly a Thanksgiving moment there with Susan's box.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 4, 2011
9:42 AM

Post #8876229

Fruit can always Spice up a box :)) love the colors ;) lunch over waiting for J&J to get home so i can get out of the house for awhile going with my friend judy to shop for awhile get our hair done then off to bingo:)
will be back tomorrow for a chat :)
susie

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2011
9:45 AM

Post #8876237

Good luck at Bingo, Susie.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 4, 2011
11:14 AM

Post #8876333

Love the boxes everyone is getting.
All the great home made things, heavens, and that rug is really nice and what a treat.

The turkey sign cracked me up, you know when you laugh out loud at work people look at your pretty strangely! Wow and all the things that followed, wow! Sounds like a lot of us have the same muffine tins...rofl, well used ;)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2011
1:10 PM

Post #8876513

Crit, I love what you got from our Fruity! She does pack a wonderful box! Love those peacock feathers!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2011

Post #8876610

Oh I'm so glad you like everything, Patti. Always scarey mailing breakables. And your history with wheat...who knew?! LOL I cracked up in the shop when I found that turkey sign. The clerk knew exactly why I was rolling. We were the only two in the store at the time and let loose big cackles. Actually found the two signs first and they were inspiration for the rest of your goodies.

Thanksgiving is my fav holiday! I am blessed to have each one of you Friends in my life.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 4, 2011
8:11 PM

Post #8877083

Jaye thank you for the Good Luck it worked I Won the Big Michigan Progressive JP Tonight & I plan to have a very nice Xmas :)))for some lucky person :)) LOVE Sharing :) My heart is still beating just as hard as it was when I was waiting for that B 11 to come out .HEHE Not sure if I will be able to sleep tonight or not . I Woke daddy up when I Got home & Told him of my winnings & Then told him to sleep t & Not wait in the night & That I Will treat him to a capachino tomorrow :))
I Plan to go buy him also a Watch that will chime the Hour On the hour so he will not be waking us every 2 Hours to ask if its time to get up yet . My Toddy did not work for him .
well off to play a bit wide awake right now :)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2011
8:40 PM

Post #8877104

Congrats on the big win Susie!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 4, 2011
10:55 PM

Post #8877174

whoo hoo Susie! you go girl!

Patti, that is a wonderful box from Fruity.. Love the peacock feathers and wheat it is awsome!

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

November 5, 2011
5:55 AM

Post #8877374

Susie, that is wonderful! You surely deserved it! Make sure you treat yourself to something special!

I did get a little shopping done this week, but still not ready to ship out my box. Looking for something special for my buddy! Also, making something for her and still need to find one more thing to finish it.

I have been so busy with the kids and plants for the business that all I seem to have time to do afterward is get a bath, dinner, and bed. And my dogs broke into my greenhouse! I was furious! Thank goodness they only ruined one plant, but I had to repot some and replace the soil in some they knocked over. whew! Like I don't have enough to do without their "help." LOL

Colt and Liam are coming home for the entire week of Thanksgiving, so I will be blessed with all my children here, as well as my precious Liam. Colt called me Monday night so Liam could "Trick or Treat" me. Liam got on the phone and said, "Trick or Treat! Smell my feet!" I had to laugh. I told him that if I had him in my arms that I would smell his feet! It was so funny!

Well, off to take something for this cold I have. Ugh! You girls have a blessed day. Love to all, julieannne
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2011
2:48 PM

Post #8877899

Oh goodness deejay, what a great thing, glad we all sent you good vibes to win the big pot...so nice to have unplanned money ;) Usually it works the other way...LOL What a nice present for your Dad. Guess you could do the opposite of an alarm clock, set it to play music when it is time to get up...instead of like mine that goes off to get me up...LOL

Hey end of daylight savings everyone, I am soooo sad! Last day I will see sunshine at home in the morning or night except on the weekends.

irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2011
8:17 AM

Post #8880029

Wonderful boxes are being received! I'm working on getting a filled box for my buddy...might be a bit late but I'll try to make it worth the wait! We finally close on my mom's house this Friday and we are spending all available time there to get everything cleared out. I still have shopping to do to get my buddy's box like I want it and I hope to have it filled and mailed out later this week.

This house sale has been such a roller coaster ride! I'll be so relieved when we close and all is done! I definitely will try to have all of my stuff downsized so my kids don't have to go through this!

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2011
9:08 AM

Post #8880102

I am still working on my box. Did somemore shopping while I was in Tulsa Friday. Wonder if I have enough stuff on hand to do some baking???? Hmmmmmm

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

November 8, 2011
3:13 PM

Post #8881950

Baking? Sounds yummy! I still have to get to the craft store to get one more thing for my box. Having a bad day here, but God promises me that it will pass!

I love you all, julie
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2011
4:20 PM

Post #8882070

That's wonderful news, Debbie!

Got my cornbread baked and in the freezer in anticipation of making Thanksgiving dressing.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8882094

OH Fruity send me your cornbread dressing recipe We have a restrant called 'OLD COUNTRY BUFFET " & They sure make the best dressing but will not give up the recipe , I want to make it for our turkey . this Saturday the KIDS Will all be home here with daddy . Now do you make cornbread from scratch or a mix ????
been a long day , & I'm so ready just to go get my feet up :) so will check back in tomorrow . GN All .
susie

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2011
6:59 PM

Post #8882278

Cornbread Dressing

I use a box of Teay’s Valley cornbread mix cooked in a 9” x 9” x 2” glass baking dish, either sprayed with Pam or buttered, and use the same dish to bake the dressing.

Ingredients

1 pone of cooked crumbled cornbread
1 beaten egg
1 can of Water Chestnuts, drained and chopped
1 cup of chopped celery
1 cup of chopped onion
1 to 2 cups of chicken stock
2 - 3 T of ground sage
Salt and Pepper to taste

Set aside 1 cup of chopped Pecans and several butter pats.

Saute the celery and onion. Cool before mixing in with all the other ingredients, except for the chopped pecans and butter pats. Add more chicken stock to the mix if it appears dry.

Place in a preheated 425 degree oven for 30 minutes. Garnish with chopped pecans and pats of butter for an additional 5 minutes. **Water Chestnuts are for crunch and chopped Pecans work just as well in the mix. ***

I forgot to mention servings from a 9" square dish will yield six large portions or nine small ones.

This message was edited Nov 8, 2011 10:09 PM

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2011
4:15 AM

Post #8882621

got it printed off ty ever so much
susie

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2011
5:55 AM

Post #8882720

(((((((((((((Julie)))))))))))))) whatever you're going through, remember you're NOT alone.
God makes earthly angels in the form of friends. I thank God for DG sistahs.

^_^ Susie, congratulations!! This won't be the only win, I know there will be more! Good things come to good people!

I'm smelling cornbread! Susan, that's a good idea to have water chestnuts in cornbread. I'll have to try that.
Sometimes I add bits of water chestnuts in my green bean casserole for that extra texture.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2011
10:22 AM

Post #8883028

Had to stop in and check out everyone's goodies!!! Great swap guys! :) i can't wait till turkey day!!!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2011
12:26 PM

Post #8883173

I have the cornbread dressing in the oven, I'll let you know how it is.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2011
1:55 PM

Post #8883314

Hey ya'll.

You're welcome, Susie. Forgot to mention the recipe uses a 12 oz box of cornbread mix. If you like a little sweetness in your dressing, you can add diced apple, Golden raisins, chopped dried cranberries, etc. Whatever you like or happen to have on hand is good.

Excellent, Mittsy!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2011
2:00 PM

Post #8883322

Fruity, what is a pone?
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2011
2:25 PM

Post #8883347

My Southern upbringing is showing. A pone = a pan of cornbread.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2011
7:57 PM

Post #8883968

our thanksgiving is this saturday I'm also going to make up the OLD FASHIONSan FRANCISCO SOURDOUGH Bread That Liz sent to me in our NEXT OF THE WOODS SWAP :) Will let ya all know HOW GREAT THEY ARE :)))
well just got home from BINGO No Jackpot but I Did win My Money back PLUS :))) So I'm Good .
good night all
susie
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2011
4:03 AM

Post #8884288

Here's my review of the cornbread stuffing. DH won't eat cornbread, so I didn't tell him it was cornbread. He thought it was ok. Sister came home from work stopped in for a minute before checking in with mom, she loved it, ate a dish full right then. I thought it was good and I think my DIL will like it. I used the smaller box of Jiffy mix, and just cut back on the chicken broth. Will add the apple and cranberries for the Thanksgiving dish. I used walnuts but think that pecans would be better. I really liked the crunch of the water chestnuts. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 10, 2011
4:55 AM

Post #8884334

Susie, why are you having your Thanksgiving early?
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2011
6:32 AM

Post #8884442

Fruity...LOL, I love the regional differences (pone) and so hope we never lose them. I really worry sometimes when I travel especially for business and end up in a Office Depot, Walmart, etc, we will become too homogenized.

I love cornbread as cornbread, but don't like the texture in dressing, I am just an old bread dressing person...rofl.
Do you all eat yellow or white cornmeal? My X didn't know there was yellow cornbread until I made it for him, he had only had white.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2011
9:01 AM

Post #8884620

I like my yellow cornmeal whole grain, not that fake food degerminated, tasteless stuff. I grew up on cornmeal mush served with browned butter, it's the first thing my kids ask me to fix when ever they visit.
Recipe
Take one cup of corn meal with the germ, and put one cup of milk with it and stir. Let it sit while you bring 2 cups of water and one half teaspoon of salt to a boil. Slowly add the cornmeal milk mixture stiring all the time, bring it back to a boil and then turn heat down and simmer until cooked. While you are waiting for it to cook, stir occasionally. Take half a stick (2 oz) of butter and heat until melted, turn heat down and continue to cook until it starts to foam and turns golden brown, but don't let it burn. Take the largest plate you half and put several large spoonfulls of the mixture on the plate. Spread evenly over the plate in a very thin layer. Pour the brownwd butter over the top and spread it with the back of a spoon. Serve. Any leftover can be packed into a tiny bread tin, chilled, sliced and fried in a pan until a golden crust forms. Serve with jelly or maple syrup.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2011
12:33 PM

Post #8884929

I love cream of wheat so I would probably like that. Never heard of it before tho.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8885220

YEP FRIED MUSH Love it with Warmed up MRS BUTTERSWORTH SYRUP:)))) MMMMMMMM
Also Grew up on a
"FARMERS DISH "
In A medium bowl MIX
3 LG EGGS
6 TBS FLOUR
12 TBS MILK
DASH OF SALT (OPT)

In MEDIUM SKILLET MELT 3 TBS Crisco till Hot ADD MIXTURE Brown on Both sides
Hard to flip at times but do your best :) When done cut like a PIE Serve with
BUTTER & SYRUP

time to lay back GN All .
susie
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2011
5:03 AM

Post #8885683

Susie are you one of the northerners that eat fish in milk? Can't think what my friend use to call it now.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2011
6:03 AM

Post #8885722

NO FISH IN MILK Here Never heard of that .

LK we are having our THANKSGIVING This weekend because all the kids have their thanksgiving with their ENLARGED FAMILY :)
this one is just for brothers sisters & a few of the Older GKs that Grew up with grandpa.
& this was the only weekend they all had for the get together . well time to get to baking ya all have a great day .
susie

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2011
6:34 AM

Post #8885754

Fish in milk?

Susie, don't work too hard baking today, and enjoy your Thanksgiving with the family.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8885824

I love cream of wheat too. Have never used white cornmeal, just yellow. I also LOVE sweetened cornbread (I add a little sugar to my mix) but don't care for cornbread dressing. I'm the good ole bread dressing type of gal too. My DH calls me the 'cornbread eatin' gal' because I love sweetened cornbread and real butter. Mmmmmmmmm

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8885826

LK Fish in milk? i never !!!!!!!
always fun for visit & eats but also nice when it is over :) Good thing I can go to my house just steps away to get away :)

Gotta tell a My sitter Lorraine game over to see daddy TUES Night . this was the 1st she had been into my place since i Moved in
the 1st thing she said was it smells like dirt course i was playing in my dirt with my Mini Garden.
anyway I said yes dosen't it smell better then shitty diapers ???? she has 11 GK's there much of the time . Don't know if she will talk to me tomorrow or not :) .

well i have a Oatmeal pie in the oven, cherry pie also, still have to do my peanut butter sheet cake yet . figure whats for super'
& make time for my self to play :) have a great day back soon .
susie

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

November 11, 2011
8:30 PM

Post #8886636

So sorry I've been missing. Kids have me going in all directions! Love the recipes! I'll have to share mine for cornered dressing.

FOTV, here's a pic for you. My little man Chase devouring the peanuts you sent me!

Thumbnail by froggies_girl

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 12, 2011
4:13 PM

Post #8887535

hey all will what a day & It is finally QUIET Around here :) we had 37 here for DINNER out of a 18lb turkey ,12 lb ham , there is only soup bones left . out of 3 Pumpkin Pies , a Blueberry pie, cherry pie, & 1 oatmeal pie , Not one piece left .
here is the oatmeal pie before :) everyone turned up there nose till they took a bite ,then it was a fight as to who got a piece :)
well at lease now I Do not have to go through this for another year :) I'm bushed back tomorrow .
GN All
susie

Thumbnail by deejay9

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8887679

Wow, Susie, that's a lot of friends and kin! I don't like Oatmeal but you might change my mind with your pie recipe.

Thank you for the dressing report, Mittsy. We like it a tad on the sweet side with raisins and / or apples. And Julie, what can I say? Chase looks like he's enjoying the roasted peanuts more than a squirrel...lol

Most of the cornbread around here is white, but I have fixed yellow. It's a bit more grainy and guess we like ours more on the soggy side.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8889036

Chase is looking really happy with his nuts.
Susie, that pie looks delish, and I can't believe you had that many people for Dinner, *whew*!
I LOVE cream of wheat, and I am going to try that cornbread stuffing recipe...

My buddies box going out Tuesday, ,hope everything arrives in one piece...

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2011
4:43 AM

Post #8889446

Morning all

ALL Family & Was so busy I Could not even get Pictures of everyone . . I can hardly move this morning so very stiff & Sore every bone in my body hurts Not sure why .
Guess I Need A NICE HOT SHOWER" ya all have a great day back later .
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

November 14, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8889691

My buddies box is packed, taped, labeled and ready to go! It will either go out today or tomorrow, depending upon if I have a prescription ready I need to go get. I know I have eto go to town tomorrow (Tuesday) so it will be tomorrow at the latest.
irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2011
10:05 AM

Post #8889846

Now that the house has sold and we have closed, I will get out and finish my shopping for my buddy's box. Too much happening over the weekend to shop but nothing in my way now! I plan to shop for two swaps this week and a partial one to complete...it's going to be a good week!

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

November 14, 2011
8:13 PM

Post #8890656

I'm sorry to say that I am way behind in finishing my things for this swap. Have some things ready, but still need to finish a little shopping and "digging." Oops, that's a surprise!

Having trouble with my 13-year-old failing 3 classes at school. He lives with his dad and there is not much structure in the home. So, I am spending a lot of time trying to keep on top of him. Also, my mom was admitted to the hospital today- atrial fib and very high blood pressure 190/130. They kept her and her blood pressure was dropping and her heart rate had stabilized when I came home earlier.

Thank you all for a great swap love, julie

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2011
8:13 PM

Post #8890657

congrats on the completion of the closing of your house!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2011
8:14 AM

Post #8892646

Julie, your son is lucky to have a mother that will do everything to keep him in the right track. Just said a prayer that your mother's bp will continue to stabilize.

Had a friend who would soak his fish in milk first (he's from somewhere up North), before he coat it with cornmeal. The fish was deep fried.
We were of course aghast at first, but had to trust him, as he's a cook on one of the off shore barges. The fish was moist, but I won't follow his recipe!!

Got the box out, with DC, so no fear of it being lost.

DC truly works. A friend had sent me a box, but that box stayed in a distribution center for a week, then returned to her. Thank God for the purchased DC, she managed to get a refund on postage.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2011
9:44 AM

Post #8892755

I have soaked venison in milk prior to cooking to remove the 'wild' taste from it. Maybe that is the idea behind the fish in milk also. To 'tame' the wild flavor.

My Turkey (box) is in the air! I mailed it yesterday. I have the tracking number, but not with me right now.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2011
10:25 PM

Post #8893730

I always soak my fish in milk before coating, as well as eveything else I fry.. LOL
Gee, I had to take two cans out of my buddies box, they were both a good 12 oz extra weight and part of a recipe.. sorry buddy, I was trying to get all the stuff for my secret recipe to ya..
Made my first batch of old fashioned english toffee a couple days ago, took some to work, and left some here, needless to say,,, I need to make more.. it seemed to dissapear over night! Anyone have a recipe for pumkin cookies?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2011
4:00 AM

Post #8893825

I don't put the glaze on mine, but some like it that way.

Pumpkin Cookies
Ingredients

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
1 cup canned Pumpkin (I use Libby's)
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Glaze (recipe follows)
1/2 cup raisin (optional
1/2 cup nut, pecans walnuts (optional)

Directions

PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Grease baking sheets.

COMBINE flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in medium bowl. Beat sugar and butter in large mixer bowl until well blended. Beat in pumpkin, egg and vanilla extract until smooth. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto greased baking sheets.

BAKE for 15 to 18 minutes or until edges are firm. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Drizzle Glaze over cookies. (optional)

FOR GLAZE:
COMBINE 2 cups sifted powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons milk, 1 tablespoon melted butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract in small bowl until smooth.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2011
4:20 AM

Post #8893841

So, Debra, folks in Kansas do that? Soak their fried stuffs in milk first?
He did that with flounder.

Never had pumpkin cookies. That recipe looks good, LK.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2011
4:22 AM

Post #8893843

I don't like pumpkin pie, but I love these cookies!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2011
4:30 AM

Post #8893846

You may like pumpkin cheese rolls, LK.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2011
4:56 AM

Post #8893875

Recipe?

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2011
5:43 AM

Post #8893906

here is the pumpkin roll look hard but easy to do i do not add nuts to the pumpkin cake itself but i do add a few to the cream cheese frosting.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/pumpkin-roll-ii/detail.aspx

have a great day all off to bake .
susie

Thumbnail by deejay9

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2011
6:16 AM

Post #8893946

We have a small resturant called MaMa's and I use to think I made the best banana bread (rolf, sorry but it is good, I will post the receipe this weekend), but I bought a piece of theirs Wednesday and omg it was amazing. The frosting was amazing also (I don't frost mine).

Those all sound yummy. Gonna have to try them. I don't cook but love to bake, I just feel bad when I do it because DH can't eat it.

My Mom always soaked her chicken in milk over night. She didn't like fish so I don't know what she would of done.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8894574

Susie, your recipe is better than the one Libby's put out. Yours don't have ground cloves. It will taste much better.

Joyce, I've soaked chicken pieces in buttermilk to give it a tangy flavor, but not straight milk. Oh.. I got my banana bread today!!

Yep, Thanksgiving has arrived at the Buffkins' house!! Yayyy!!!
Thank you Patti, thank you so much for a wonderful Thanksgiving box. I don't know how Patti did it, but she managed to squeeze so much goodies into one medium flat rate box. And unlike me, she's a meticulous wrapper!
Won't be doing her selection justice if I crammed them all in one pic.
So.. here's the first.

A beautiful table topper!!! Love the cutwork!! Thank you Patti. Reminded me of my mother's sewing skills, she did beautiful cutwork to earn extra cash.

This message was edited Nov 17, 2011 6:56 PM

Thumbnail by heavenscape

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2011
2:46 PM

Post #8894576

Kitchen towel and pot holder set. A fall theme table cloth, which I need badly! A pair of pumpkin salt and pepper shaker, love the detailed leaves curling over the tops.
A pair of candles, a pair of decorative gourds and my very own "Pilgrim Bears"!

Thumbnail by heavenscape

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2011
2:54 PM

Post #8894578

Voila!! More goodies. See that banana nut bread? Am I the lucky one!
I didn't expect that, Patti! I haven't taste it yet as I'm waiting for Kel to leave for work. Nope, not going to share it as I know it's good!
Thank you so much for the socks. With my diabetic feet, socks are my best friends. Nice touch of Christmas there.

Then she also included a couple of instant choco drinks.

If you look hard, kinda disappearing in the background, is a pumpkin shaped cookie cutter.

Patti, I NEED the roasting bag. I won't be doing turkey, as Kel hates turkey, no matter how it's cooked, but I'll be doing oven roast brisket instead. I've been using bags to cook my briskets in.

Thank you so much Patti. I've been living in my pjs lately (thanks LK) and your box has lift my spirits. Again I love everything you sent.

Got some new socks.. banana bread.. chocolate drink for a perfect football Saturday!! I know my Pilgrim Bears will bring my team luck!

Thanks Julie for letting me play!

Thumbnail by heavenscape

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8894628

Jaye, aren't you the lucky one getting all those goodies, and home made banana bread too! If I come over will you share with me?

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8894682

Just because you take lady like bites LK. Sure!!!
Kel will just gulp down his piece.

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

November 17, 2011
8:05 PM

Post #8895010

I am so sorry. My mom is still in the hospital. She is continuing to experience atrial fib daily. The docs have switched her meds and still trying to get her stabilized. Between her, taking care of her plants and animals, and my own things, I barely have time to breath. Mom is in good spirits; really wants to come home. But they have to get things stabilized before they will release her. I hate her having atrial fib. Last year, we had quite a scare when she had one and her heart rate dropped so low it would set off the monitors. Don't want that to happen again.

My dear buddy, your box is going out tomorrow. I finally got things done and just have to put your address on it and mail. I love you all and thank you for being so patient with me.

BTW, some of you have gotten some very nice goodies. Especially, those warm soft socks! Makes me want to come curl up with you and have a hot cup of cocoa!

love, julieanne

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2011
8:32 AM

Post #8895480

Julie, we are sending you lots of prayers for your Mom! Praying she will be allowed to come home for Thanksgiving.

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

November 18, 2011
9:10 PM

Post #8896415

Yay! Thank the Lord that Moma got to come home today! She is in good spirits and is looking forward to her visit with me tomorrow morning for coffee. I am going to make pumpkin muffins for her as a surprise! So blessed that she is home.
Buddy, I got your box mailed today! I was one day late and I am sorry. But I hope the goodies are worth the wait.
Has anyone ever planted lettuce (salad) bowls? I am giving a presentation in February on "salad bowls" and would appreciate any advice, links, and suggestions.
I'm going to bed for the night. Sweet dreams and love to all.
Julieanne
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2011
1:38 AM

Post #8896498

Do window boxes count? I use the $1.79 pkgs of Mesclen mix and plant it in my window boxes about every two weeks. Have it pretty much year round. I like to harvest just before eating, rinse well, pat dry, fill plate, add apples, citrus, or grapes, a few nuts, or sunflower seeds and a basamic drizzle. Grape tomatoes can be used in place of fruit.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

November 19, 2011
11:51 AM

Post #8897046

So happy you like your box Jaye! I had so much fun doing it. There are so many neat Thanksgiving things out there I finally had to STOP! lol The only thing that was holding me up was making the BB. My DH eats banana's as quick as I can buy them. I finally had to hide some in a paper bag and let them get soft so I could make the bread. I really hadn't been up do doing baking, but I wanted to add a touch of homemade, so motivated myself and I'm really glad I did. We enjoyed our share of the bread to. ^_^

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 19, 2011
12:34 PM

Post #8897112

Julie, I'm so glad your mum's well enough to come home! Tell her she musn't miss not one day of her medications. You must be relieved.

Patti, your bread is fantastic!! It's not sugary sweet, and it's bad enough plain bananas can spike my blood sugar.
Yep, call me selfish! It's very rare I bake for myself and that's a very thoughtful treat Patti.
Thank you so much for everything!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 19, 2011
1:39 PM

Post #8897273

Julie, so glad to hear your Mom is home! Give her hugs from us please?

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

November 20, 2011
10:32 AM

Post #8898626

Oh, sweet baby Jaye! Got my box yesterday and I LOVED everything. I have already gotten into the chocolates and my daughter is making the chocolate chip cookies right now. I will post pics later today. God bless you for your thoughtfulness and generosity! love, julieanne

Spent most of yesterday cutting, weedeating, and cleaning Mom's yard. She was out "running the roads" while I did it! LOL

So glad to see everyone getting such yummy goodies.

Mittsy, thanks for the tips on the lettuce bowls. Will try it!

love to all, julieanne

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2011
3:02 PM

Post #8898927

Julie, that's what the goodies are for, to be enjoyed!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8899159

I've been gone since Thursday morning and came home today to the most wonderful box...make that two...that I could ever imagine! Seriously, I don't think I've ever received a more bountiful mix of goodies and plants and seeds to boot.

Thank you so much, Debra! Ya'll wait til my camera recoups and I post pics of everything Debra shared with me. I just hope I don't leave anything out. It's all good, and I'm truly overwhelmed.

(((Hugs, Julie, for bringing us together and bless your Mom's heart for being home.)))

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2011
6:59 PM

Post #8899247

[quote="heavenscape"]Julie, I'm so glad your mum's well enough to come home! Tell her she musn't miss not one day of her medications. You must be relieved.

Patti, your bread is fantastic!! It's not sugary sweet, and it's bad enough plain bananas can spike my blood sugar.
Yep, call me selfish! It's very rare I bake for myself and that's a very thoughtful treat Patti.
Thank you so much for everything!
[/quote]

Patti, you did good! Julie, I echo Jayes feelings about your Mother.. God Bless you!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2011
7:05 PM

Post #8899255

Fruity, I am glad you liked everything.. altho I had to remive two cans of stuff for a recipe..sorry!

Good News! My little sister and niece are coming HERE for Thanksgiving! Finally all that is left of my family will be together this year.. so grateful!

I hope it is okay to say.. God is Good

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2011

Post #8899350

God is good! So glad to hear they will be with you on Thanksgiving!

Fruity, can't wait to see what you got!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2011
6:25 AM

Post #8899672

Oh Debra, so excited for you to have the family all together! Great news.

Fruity, I am sure your Mom is happy that you used the quilts. She knew they kept you warm, safe, and happy which is what she wanted.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2011
7:53 PM

Post #8900820

I honestly don’t know where to begin to show you the “Bountiful Goodness” Debra shared with me so I decided to make groups for the pics.

Beaucoup Seeds – would any package from Debra be complete without them?!
Oh so soft Aloe infused socks.
Tubers and bulbs, including a huge “Apple Blossom” Amaryllis, one I didn’t have.
A Woven basket I decided to line with the Fall-themed dishcloth, dried gourds and other Fall decorations that were included along with the bag of Vanilla potpourri, a Vanilla candle in a jar, and a brick of Scentsy ‘Cinnamon Bear”, what Heavenly scents.
There’s a stack of pots perfect for starting cuttings and an assortment of small jars with lids. I’ve already filled some of them with loose craft items.
A tube of Bert’s Bees lip balm. Ask anybody who’s been around me and they’ll tell you I’m totally addicted to this stuff.

Part two coming up…..

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2011

Post #8900830

Next is a Sweet handwritten card, along with Food, Recipes, and Family Traditions that include:
A can of Rotello to make cream cheese dip.
Toffee that’s absolutely delicious.
“Granny’s” Pecan Pie recipe -- double yum
Watergate Salad, which is a very special recipe I’ll treasure that was passed down from Debra’s deceased MIL, Pauline.

A jar of French Vanilla Cappuccino -- yum
2 boxes of Pistachio Jello, nuts, and marshmellows to use in Pauline's Watergate Salad.
Lots of Chocolates, including a Godiva bar and a bag of Lindts.

Oh there’s more…..

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2011
8:04 PM

Post #8900843

3 trivet tiles – Did you paint one of these for me, Debra?
Happy Harvest wooden sign -- haven't decided if I'll use it to decorate our mailbox, hang it inside, or use on a wreath.
"Come Ye Thankful" Pumpkin ornament that will definitely be hung on our Christmas tree.
A decorative rock that says Welcome and has a stained glass butterfly and painted flowers, I’ve already placed it in my garden.
“Home Sweet Home” Primitive Wooden Doll --- love her, she’s precious holding a pumpkin.
A wall plaque for our bathroom.
Magazines and a Holiday Cookbook newspaper from Wichita.

And to get ready for Christmas, there’s even a Santa box ornament.

I don’t know where to begin to thank you enough, Debra. I just love it all and you too! I’ll think of you when I fix your recipes, see my decorations from year to year, and eventually have blooms from the seeds and bulbs you shared. You were far too generous! And you were worried about leaving out a jar of cherries….GEEZ!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2011
10:08 PM

Post #8901004

I am glad the things arrived unbroken, I was worried about those tiles.. a lot.. I painted one, the other was my inspiration, and hopefully I sent the blank one for you to "play" with ..
The little round bulb with some green showing is a red spider lilly..and the skinny reddish thing is a canna australious from Rita in the Tropical forum, was one of the first things I was sent when I first came here.. it has grown so much I had to divide it.

I came home from a grueling day at work to two good things..

college girl made some choc chip pumkin cookies and some homemade amish wheat bread.. she loves to bake..

Joe had a heart dye stress test today as he just announced to me Friday he went to his doctor because he has been having chest pains and weird heart beats for a few months? Gosh, he coulda told me sooner.. anyway, no immediate problems, and they couldn't find any blockage and his lungs looked good, so even tho the radiaologists are looking at it, I am sure it was just air bubbles he was feeling...

the best part of today was a box from Julie.. she really made me smile when I pened it up, Joe in his recliner watching me like a little kid from christmas morning..

Can't wait to try her wonderful muffins and the recipe/tradition book was amazing. such detail and love put in that recipe book..
Joe wouldn't let go of the foodnetwork magazine, he was really enjoying it before I could even look at it..he still had it when I took this picture..
love the plates, napkins and cups, will use them this week..

Thumbnail by joeswife

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 22, 2011
4:53 AM

Post #8901138

Debra, you really know how to pack a box of goodies, WOW! Enjoy the hand painted items from her!

Julie, love all you sent to Debra too!

Lots of nice goodies arriving!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2011
5:35 AM

Post #8901177

Wow!! There's a lot of love that went into your box Susan.
Debra's always been a very generous and creative swapper.
Those toffees caught my eye and I bet they won't last long! When you're tired of that doll, you can donate it to me ;)
It's not only you that's addicted to Bert's Bee Lip Balm, our little Chi cries each time she sees DH applying it to his lips. He had to smear some on hers too, of course with his fingers.

Debra, I just said a prayer that all will be well with your DH. You have a very intelligent man who seeks a doctor's care immediately, unlike so many who'd wait till it's too late. Why do most men hate doctors?
Nice gifts there you have from Julie.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2011
5:49 AM

Post #8901191

There is the cutest little exotic angel arow head pinkish plant with the goodies Julie sent, am going to put it by the mosaic rock on my desk here..

we were blessed with a half inch rain last nite..

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2011
6:13 AM

Post #8901221

Oh Debra, I'm glad you named out that plant! I thought it was a pink sweet potato vine. Was wondering where Julie found it at this time of the year!!

Rain is expected on Thanksgiving. It's in the high 70s here. Blessed not to have snow!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2011
8:39 PM

Post #8902171

supposed to be in 60's here thanksgiving day, I am going to plant the bulbs Julie sent me, since I didn't get any bulbs set in this year,,, so glad she sent some..

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2011
1:38 PM

Post #8903028

Afternoon everyone I Rec'd a wonder Thanksgiving box fromt I Believe IRISLUVR / DEBBIE Well IND Didn't reconize the last name on the box & There was No Card inside so forgive me if I;m Wrong My Head is in a tail spin with daddy being so sick right now.

anyway just wanted to let ya all know I Rec'd a
BEST OF THE BEST FROM INDIANA "COOKBOOK"
3 RECIPES FOR : DIRT PUDDING , RED VELVET BALLS, & SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE ALL SOUND WONDERFUL & HOPE TO TRY THEM .
6 VERY PRETTY FALL LEAF NAPKIN RINGS
2 FALL POT HOLDERS OR HOT PADS
3 PKS OF MINI GOURDS & TURKEY
COFFEE A HOLIDAY BLEND WITCH I WILL BE TRYING IN THE MORNING

Thumbnail by deejay9

irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2011
1:48 PM

Post #8903041

Yes...it is from me! Sorry I forgot the card! Found it after I had taken the box to the PO! Hope you like everything...!

So sorry to hear you daddy is so sick...will keep you both in my prayers.

Debbie

This message was edited Nov 23, 2011 4:50 PM

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2011
1:48 PM

Post #8903043

Also in the box was these statues of a PILGRAM & WIFE Love these :)
OOP"S POT PADS ARE IN THIS PHOTO :) ALONG WITH
SET OF TURKEY SALT & PEPPER SHAKERS WITCH I WILL USE
THERE WAS ALSO YANKEE AUTUMN PUMPKIN SCENTED CANDLES EVEN THOU I CANNOT BURN THEM i CAN USE THEM FOR LOOKS ON MY BUFFET :) OR WINDOW SILLS :) THANK YOU FOR ALL OF MY GOODIES :)
oH BUT NOT DONE YET ONE MORE TO POST BEFORE I HAVE TO GO BACK TO THE HOUSE TO HELP MY BROTHER WITH DADDY BACK IN A JIFF

Thumbnail by deejay9

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2011
1:55 PM

Post #8903053

SORRY IT IS STARTING TO GET DARK & MY CAMERA HAS NO FLASH debbie i love it all & it goes great here in my new little house :) Here is the great windchime & Its going to hang right outside my door :) thank you debbie for sharing with me lov lov it all :)

thank you julie for hosting a very nich swap

susie

Thumbnail by deejay9

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 24, 2011
7:33 AM

Post #8903836

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone...DG Sistahs!!

Thumbnail by heavenscape

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 24, 2011
12:52 PM

Post #8904084

Thank you Jaye, hope you all have a great Thanksgiving Day!

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

November 24, 2011
8:08 PM

Post #8904460

Happy thanksgiving, everyone! So sorry I have been a bad hostess. Just too much going on! I love you all and hope your day was filled with blessings. I need to get to bed. My flight to NC leaves at 6 am in the morning. Love you all, Julieanne
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

November 25, 2011
8:39 AM

Post #8904986

Hope everyone is well and everything comes out OK on Joe's tests.

We have our Tday dinner tomorrow at sil's house. I spent yesterday baking to take. Homemeade rolls, cinnamon rolls, dressing, homemade noodles, pumpkin-cream cheese bread and some other stuff. I can't wait!!! I'm drooling for turkey with the noodles beside them. YUM
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 28, 2011
2:41 AM

Post #8908573

We're arrived in Fl. Had a wonderful thanksgiving with the family.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 28, 2011
4:32 AM

Post #8908622

Glad to hear you had a safe trip, and a great time with the family!

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

November 28, 2011
7:05 AM

Post #8908792

I am traveling right now. Here is a pic of my goodies from jaye!

Thumbnail by froggies_girl

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 29, 2011
7:39 AM

Post #8910187

Julie, did the Scarecrow centerpiece and the dessert booklet make it?
Seriously, I pray that the centerpiece didn't fall apart :( If it did.. sorry.. I'm not good at crafts that requires a glue gun or pins.

I'm sure you're familiar with the seasonings being you live close to Cajun country ;D
You could use that Cajun Injector for hams too.

Have a safe and happy travel, Julie.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 6, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8919100

Happy Birthday, Mittsy! And many more. Hope you enjoyed your day and spent it doing something you love.

Pass me one of your cinnamon rolls, Patti...yum!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8919119

HOPE YOUR DAY IS SPECIAL MITTSY

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8919327

happy birthday to you mittsy! hope it was GRAND!

Thumbnail by joeswife

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2011
12:52 PM

Post #8920274

It was, and today I discovered a tiny blue morning glory among my weeds. (I'm in Cocoa Beach) for the winter. My spotted cannas are just lovely so I'm digging and sharing with the Night Bloomers garden club tonight.

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2011
12:53 PM

Post #8920276

The Baby Sun Rose is trying to escape my garden. Cuttings anyone?

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2011
12:54 PM

Post #8920281

Close up of the flower. Very nice for a hanging basket.

Thumbnail by mittsy

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2011
1:24 PM

Post #8920333

Mittsy, if you send cuttings how do we keep them till spring time?
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2011
1:35 PM

Post #8920345

Root them in water in a window or near a bright light then pot them up and enjoy in the house until all danger of frost is gone, then enjoy outdoors.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2011
2:10 PM

Post #8920399

Ahhhh, only problem here is night time temps are in the teens, probably wouldn't make the trip up to us snow birds... ;)
Wish I was down there with you!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

December 7, 2011
3:13 PM

Post #8920469

I'm so excited my first brug is about to bloom it's first bloom. I think it is a NOID pink. It has short tendrils and has put out the flower part. Now I am just waiting for it to. I started a bunch from cuttings last winter. Lost 5 or so of them in our grueling heat this summer. This one had 5 buds on it and lost all of them but one. Hoping the others bloom for me next summer.

Yes Fruity ... the cinnamon rolls WERE quite tasty, if I do say so myself. ^_^
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8921612

Well, I was so sure that my box would arrive by my birthday! Bummer! Guess it will be an early Christmas box. Sure hope it wasn't lost in transit somewhere.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2011
2:59 PM

Post #8921840

Mittsy you still have not received ??? Oh Lets Hope it makes it for your Xmas MEAL :) what is a baby sun rose ??? are the cuttings easy to root ?? Has it any seeds ??? love to try some seeds , not sure a cutting would make it up here in the cold . it is turning much colder these days .
I Have the MAN IN THE MOON Shining Into my West window this eve Just smiling down at me :) So Cool :)
well off to watch the world NEWS :)
susie

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8922141

the man in the moon was smiling at me too! I got to hold a 9 lb three month old baby boy named Jude tonight, so sweet, gee, I am so proud of his momma an unwed young g/f of my college girl..
Poor Joe was sick all night long poor guy, he is on the mend tho and will try to go back to work tommorrow, he had the FLU for sure.. sheesh!

Love that baby sun rose, Mittsy.. looks like a great trailing plant for a head planter. I think I might try to make a head planter this winter while waiting for Spring.

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2011
1:11 AM

Post #8922302

Baby Sun Rose...That's the name of the plant.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 9, 2011
10:15 AM

Post #8922677

Is there anyone else that has not received their box?
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2011
1:44 AM

Post #8923502

I received a box from Joyce yesterday, she knows I am a quilter so it has a lovely toddler airplane quilt pattern and some fat quarters. I will take a picture when it gets light outside. A Harvest entrance rug, cute scarecrow and decorated garden spade. Thank you Joyce.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2011
5:04 AM

Post #8923592

KNEW you was a SNOWBIRD & Now your an early bird , & Sounds as If you Got a BOUNTYFUL Box Just in time For xmas Gifts :)
will keep watch for those pic's :)
susie
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2011
6:19 AM

Post #8923664

mittsy, there is another box coming your way, thought they would hit at the same time and last night I found something I forgot to put in so another small package is on it's way...hope the bigger package arrives today. Since you were in transit I chose to wait until you got to Florida so you could enjoy it this year.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2011
11:46 AM

Post #8924030

Mittsy, this is the message I got back from your second box.
"Hi Joyce,
It was mailed Dec 7th so she should receive it in 3-4 working postal days from that day. It was sent as first class mail so it certainly should be there any day.
Let me know.
Dianne"

So let me know Mittsy. Your other box with the stuff I forgot was suppose to be mailed out today since I have been sick, got to the post office to find out it now is open from 8:30 to 10:30, course I was there at 11! It will go out on Monday, I am so sorry. Geehz!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2011
1:59 PM

Post #8924181

JOYCE Don't ya just love it when we try to do something & Something else messes us up :)

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

December 11, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8925593

Girls, I am so sorry that I have been MIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is so hard for me to get an internet connection when I am traveling. I left Nov. 25 and did not get home until yesterday. North Carolina, Deleware, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. A wonderful trip but I was so ready to get home.

Jaye, the centerpiece and cookbook made it just fine. Sorry they weren't in the picture, but I had already put out the centerpiece and was reading the cookbook and left it in my bedroom.

I hope that everyone had received their boxes. I am so sorry that I was unable to answer dmails or post while I was gone. I tried getting a connection, but no luck. And it seemed like every house I visited had a secure Internet connection and no one could remember their passwords! LOL

Hope everyone is gearing up for a beautiful and blessed Christmas. I know I still have some shopping to do!
Love to all, Julieanne
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2011
8:56 AM

Post #8926158

It's picture time! My goodies! This shows the quilt magazine with the airplane quilt pattern.

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2011
8:58 AM

Post #8926168

This is the second picture, a close up of the fabrics (fat quarters) and pattern.

Thumbnail by mittsy

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

December 12, 2011
8:59 AM

Post #8926172

Absolutely beautiful, Mittsy! So glad you love it! The fabrics are awesome! Can't wait to see what else you get!

love, julieanne

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2011
9:03 AM

Post #8926182

This is the last picture. It's of the Harvest rug, scarecrow garden decoration and autumn spade. Aren't they neat? I'm all set for fall for next year! Thank you so much Joyce. I think I will incorporate the scarecrow into a lovely straw wreath with autumn leaves that I plan on making for the condo entrance door to our unit. The autumn fabric will be used to make placemats as we have committed to making 680 for our Meals on Wheels. This covers the entire Brevard county. I've been posting picture on the sewing and quilting forum.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2011
9:05 AM

Post #8926190

A glitch of some sort, internet has been going off and on all morning. Going to try again for picture number three.

Thumbnail by mittsy

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

December 12, 2011
9:27 AM

Post #8926237

Oh, how nice! Yes, you will be ready next fall!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 12, 2011
9:32 AM

Post #8926246

Beautiful decorations Mittsy! Love the fabric and airplane pattern too!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2011
10:19 AM

Post #8926295

Mittsy, glad you like the stuff so far, this maybe the Thanksgiving for you that keeps giving into the New Year at the rate it is going...rofl.

OMG, 680 placemats, heavens! Hope you have lots of little elves to help you. When are they suppose to be done? I will have to check out the quilt site cause I would love to see them. We had our master gardener Christmas party last night and one of the woman is taking quilting lessons here in the little town where I live. I took lessons one year and we did one sampler quilt queen size all hand done, rofl, now I won't use it because we have animals, someday I am sure it will go on the bed...rofl, maybe.

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2011
3:54 AM

Post #8927420

I love aprons, and wear them when I cook and bake. They are the cobbler type for maximum coverage protection. Needless to say I am a messy cook. I am now the proud owner of a lovely fabulous dressy apron. I do believe I shall have to host a luncheon where all the ladies come wearing an apron. I will have my dh take a picture of me wearing it. Thank you so very much Joyce. It is adorable! I love it!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2011
4:26 AM

Post #8927444

When I saw the bib I knew I had to get it for you. I too am a messy cook, DH says when I get out the flour it is like there was an explosion in the kitchen...rofl. I hope it is made properly, since I have not seen it but ordered from the internet, hopefully better than something made in China, least I think it was made by Dianne...hummm?

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2011
3:31 PM

Post #8928268

I am envious of those FQs, Mittsy!!
Joyce has certainly made this a post Thanksgiving pre Christmas surprise special for you.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2011
11:21 AM

Post #8929431

I had DH take a picture of me in my lovely new apron. Isn't it darling?

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2011
11:23 AM

Post #8929436

Here's a close up of the bib top. It is very, very nicely made. All the edges are serged and the fabric is very nice quality. Thank you so much!

Thumbnail by mittsy

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2011
7:38 AM

Post #8930495

I wanted to wait and send to Mittsy when she was settled down south, so this is the gifts that just keep on coming, especially if you are a little nuts and leave things out of a box and have boxes mailed by others...

Oh Mittsy, looks like you are ready to start those Christmas cookies!
I am so glad it is well made and made by a real seamstress, you never know when buying off the internet. Hindsite I should of had her mail it to me and then I could of forgot to put it in the box...rofl...just kidding.
I tried really hard to make it a made in America Thanksgiving box, came close... ;)
rofl...an apron a luncheon full of fancy aprons, how fun!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2011
8:51 AM

Post #8930578

Hey all ... Here is the link to a new swap I am hosting for January. (I'm having some help from some of the best hostess' in it!) It is the Sock, Sniff and Sip swap. Please check it out and share it with other threads you visit if you want to. Thanks!

Crit

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1233609/

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2011
8:39 PM

Post #8931445

Mitsy, I LOVE that apron. awsome! ARE you really going to make 680 placemats? good grief! joyce, you rock!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2011
3:53 AM

Post #8931680

Here's the link to the ongoing saga of the Meals on Wheels placemats. Yes we are going to make 680!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1149567/

Another Thanksgiving box arrived. This one has a lovely hand made in America potholder. It's strip pieced and quilted and coordinates with the ruffle on the apron. Also enclosed are two dish towels. Joyce you are so thoughtful, I just want you to know how much I appreciate the effort you put into my box(es). The fact that you ordered from American crafters really touches my heart as that is how my sister Mary makes her living. God bless you. Here's a picture of the group showing the matchung fabric trim on the apron and potholder.

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2011
3:54 AM

Post #8931681

This is a close up of the potholder

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2011
3:57 AM

Post #8931683

And you really chose well when you picked this print, because, among other things, I cat sit when my friends travel or have an emergency. Thanks again, I am overwhelmed at your generousity.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2011
3:58 AM

Post #8931684

Here's a close up of that kitty print.

Thumbnail by mittsy

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2011
5:49 AM

Post #8931755

Mittsy you deserve that and so much more. You do so many nice things for so many people. Most probably don't get to thank you in person, so from an outsider looking in, "Thank you for all you do."

I didn't think you had cats but it had sewing and the bib just cracked me up. Course I thought the cat print was pretty funny.
I bought a potholder similar to yours for myself at the craft show and got one for my sister with Betty Boop on it (her entire kitchen is Boop). I thought they were a great way to use scraps of material and seem to be really well made.

Mittsy, I think you should write a bit to be put on DG about made in America (crafters). You know those little side bars that pop-up on the home page.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2011
4:26 AM

Post #8932847

second that happ she is a very INTERESTING,& DESERVING LADY :) off to get my day started happy holidays
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2011
7:22 AM

Post #8932955

Thank you for the kind words but I see myself as the enabler, rather than the doer. I do "see" things that could be done and believe that I can motivate others to do it. I believe (with the help of God) all things are possible. I learned this as a child from my maternal grandmother. I hope she would be proud of me as the adult she inspired me to be.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2011
9:26 AM

Post #8934298

you are Blessed :)

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8936316

Amen to that.. Mittsy .. so much talent and such a wonderful heart of gold..
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2011
7:51 PM

Post #8936362

Mittsy, you are a beautiful lady, inside and out.

Actually I think you ALL are and know I'm blessed having you in my life!

Jaybird, just for you...Elsa Spaeth bloomed again this month. What a surprise and a treat with Winter knocking on our doors. Sure did brighten my day seeing her pretty blooms again, and thinking of you :)

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 25, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8942507

Merry Christmas everyone. Hope it was a great day for each of you.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

December 25, 2011
7:25 PM

Post #8942684

Hope everyone is having the Christmas they hoped for.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2011
7:34 AM

Post #8946427

Just popping in to say HI to everyone!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2011
3:51 AM

Post #8947303

Waving back! ((((((((((((

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2011
8:56 PM

Post #8948489

I had the Christmas I had hoped for and looking forward to my sister this weekend and my Joe is doing aok after his heart cath showed no blockage.. Hooray!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2011
3:56 AM

Post #8948608

Wonderful news, Debra.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2011
8:15 AM

Post #8948794

Oh Debra, you sure got the best Christmas present with Joe and his cath, congratulations.
So glad you are getting to spend time with your Sis.

Early HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #8949826

Glad to hear Joe is doing well, and no blockages were found!

Happy New Year everyone!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #8952166

I am truly blessed to have all of you and all of mine in my life. Thank you for all the friendships.
Happy New Year. Fryuity, begonias you sent all have leaves, and "polly" have 4 leaves now, and coleus starts are growing. Thanks! My peace lilly and aloe are still doing fine. Love them. All the things you all have sent me are the things I look forward to coming home too everynight after work..
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #8952296

Hearing that makes my day, Debra :)

Mittsy, what's the finish line for the hundreds of placemats? I can't imagine such an endeavor and hope your sewing buddies are helping.

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2012
4:13 AM

Post #8952447

We are working on the next batch, have quite a few I need to photograph so I can post. The interior flourescent lighting doesn't capture the colors very well so I try to get the sunlight for photographing them. I have a pickup date from Rocket Quilter's on the13th. So cold (42) and windy today I don't think I'll be leaving the sewing room unless I have to! Way too cold to walk on the beach today.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #8953288

I hadn't heard yours and Joes good news. Praise God for that. So happy for you.

My poor little polly pup doesn't seem to be surviving. The leaf that was on it dried up and I see no signs of it putting up any more. :-( Continuing to watch. I need to go water the plants in the game room.

Just slipping in a quick reminder that sign ups are being taken for the Sock, Sniff and Sip swap until Jan. 15. Mailouts will be by January 31st. Here is the link if you are interested.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1233609/#new

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #8964946

I have to get in on this mittsy group hug!!! :) love ya mittsy, my garden and any knowledge i have of it is thanks to you, your heart and genereosity are tops. I hope to be just like you.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #8965484

Evening everyone!

Crit, go easy watering Polly. Unlike some EE's, she prefers dry feet. Your pup might also be going dormant. Last year I lost the nice pot I had by over watering and was lucky to find a replacement last Spring at a local nursery. Yours and Debra's pups both came from the new batch.

You must be both relieved and excited that tomorrow's pick-up day, Mittsy. Whether it's low light or natural light, I'd love to see pics of the finished place mats. And I applaud you and your group for your hard work helping out such a worthy cause.

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2012
4:04 AM

Post #8965744

My Thursday group came through with yet more placemats and I'll probably pick up more from the Rocket Quilters. A very dear friend passed away on Monday after a long battle with cancer. I am having trouble staying focused and will take pictures and post as soon as I can.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #8971201

(((((((((((((((((((((((((mittsy))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) Prayers to the family and thoughts to you.

Thanks Fruity...will keep that in mind. I have kinda ignored it so maybe I have been doing it a favor. ^_^ I will keep watch on it for sprouts later on.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #8971891

Sorry to hear that Mittsy! Sending you ((((HUGS)))) as well!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #8972122

Mitsy ((( hugs)))

Patti, mine was dormant ( polly) it is awake more than ever now..

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America