ughhh.... search engine overload

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

I've been looking online for history on my home, and all i come across is adds. This house has been in my fiance's family since 1938 but online says it was built in the 50's..... It's probably much closer to 1800's actually, but not sure. I plan to ask my in laws to see the abstract, but i thought i could supplement the findings with info online. However i feel lost and confused about all the adds, and "public records" you have to subscribe and pay to see. And then there is the fact that perryville is also apparently a big part of the civil war so that comes up more frequently than my little town here in new York.
Can anyone help point me in a direction of finding home info online?

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Forget the online info - seriously. Best bet is to head to the county court house and ask
about land records. The info is truthful & will have the names and dates of all those who
lived in your house. It will take a good amount of time so plan on at least a full day.

When we moved to this house 9 years ago we found in the basement a board nailed to
a post. On the board was the names & date of ownership since the house was built in 1928.
Within a week our names were added to the board. I just thought it was the neatest thing.

Good luck to you

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I agree, looking at land records at the courthouse is your best bet. Some counties do have their records online so you might try searching for your county courthouse website on Google and see what they have, but many counties don't so most likely you'll need to make that trip to the courthouse. But you may not be able to find much about the house specifically--the land records will tell you when the property changed hands and who was buying/selling, but not necessarily anything in particular about the house. If you want to figure out when the house was built, your best bet might be to see if there's someone from your county historical society or someone else who knows a lot about local history and the architecture in your area, they might be able to tell you approximately when the house was built if your in-laws don't know.

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

Ok, once i have names and dates are there trustworthy online sources to research?
I am hoping to make sort of a historical scrap book and have our old home in a land trust once it belongs to hubby and i.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

For land records, your best bet is your county courthouse--website if they happen to have one with records online, or else in person. There are some genealogy sites like Ancestry.com that have some records like that, but it's hit or miss whether they'd happen to have them for your area or not, and they typically cost money to subscribe. Otherwise you'll be stuck sifting through the junk that comes up on Google searches--if you spend enough time sifting and ignoring sites that make you pay something before they really show you what they have then you may stumble across something useful, but it's probably going to be like searching for a needle in a haystack. Your time would be better spent at the county courthouse :)

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

Ok, sounds like a good cold rainy day activity. It's so weird because i have Google things about perryville before and gotten all kinds of neat pictures etc, never to be found again.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I realize I'm a few months late, but--- although I researched people on ancestry.co, and other online sites, one trip to the county records is worth a century of online research. ( A trip to the national archives in Washington DC is worth a millenium of online research, BTW). Property records are usually kept in the county recorder's office, which may or may not be in the courthouse. Call ahead for hours and copying fees. The staff can help you find out how the various indices work. There are books for deeds, transfers, grantees, grantors, and sometimes books that classify property by location. You'll probably end up looking into some wills or estate packets, found in the probate office.
Happy hunting. You'll run into details that you would never, ever otherwise know.
Pat Hobson

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks!!!! :) actually i sorta forgot about this project in the midst of the holidays and some home improvement projects, thanks for commenting, i wish i'd thought of it while i had time off!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Yeah, the worst part of courthouses are the hours- but some have Saturday AM hours. Good luck with all your searches!
Pat

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

Here's a link to who's buried in the Perryville's cemetary

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nyccazen/Cemeteries/Fenner/PerryvilleCem.html

Madison County historical Society may have some stuff. There is a membership fee.
http://www.mchs1900.org/

A list of a bunch of Links
http://home.comcast.net/~ingallsam/

Has stories about Oneida area and some links

Once you get some names and dates I have found it interesting reading through old newspapers. The Oneida Public Library, Canastota Public Library, and maybe Suny Morrisville should have some back copies either archieved or on microfilm

Here is a listing of what papers existed when
http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/nysnp/127.htm

This is about the county archives
http://www.madisoncountynyhistory.com/Welcome.html

This should give you somethings to look at.

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

Thank you neighbor!
Though not actually a farm, i did find the listing of our property in the 1937 farm records from the third link you gave. :) exciting!
Also the first one of the cemetary is one i have found in the past and never found ahain! There are a few more i'll keep searching for. Funny though, i like seeing history with familiar names, found my fiances old neighbors listed, and recognize several names as street names out here.
In fact snyders milk truck just passed my house as i was reading. :) i love this small town.

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

I'm glad I could help. I have my genealogy her somewhere based on memory and where it leaves off she did it the '60.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.