Photo by Melody

Roses: What causes rubbery growth on Roses ?

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 18, Views: 335
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kiwi_mum
Haymarket, VA

October 25, 2011
8:50 AM

Post #8863032

I had one rose last summer, on which one major branch went all rubbery and I got rid of the bush. This fall another bush has put out a small rubbery branch (about 5" tall) with lots of small whiskery leaves. I've had these bushes about 4 years and up until now they've done really well. What would cause this and will it affect a new bush planted in that spot ?

Thumbnail by Kiwi_mum
Click the image for an enlarged view.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

October 25, 2011
9:26 AM

Post #8863075

I don't know about the rubbery aspect, but the rose you pictured may have rose rosette disease. The red growth, wild leaves and extra thorns are all symptoms. It is spread by a mite, I believe, that can crawl from plant to plant or be blown by the wind.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2011
12:19 PM

Post #8863255

Kiwi-Mum, Porkpal is right, as usual. There has been a very bad outbreak of rose rosette disease in Virginia. It's caused by a virus. The plant will almost certainly die in one to two years. Here is a great article from your Virginia Extension office. The virus can spread to your other roses, so it may be wise to remove the infected rose as soon as possible.

http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/450/450-620/450-620.html

I'm very sorry about your rose.

Donna

This message was edited Oct 27, 2011 6:22 AM
Kiwi_mum
Haymarket, VA

October 26, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8865040

Thank you Donna and Porkpal. After reading the article, that's definitely what it is, probably coming from the wild roses that are about a hundred yards away in a preservation area. I was planning to pull the current roses out 'cos I'm sick of all the spraying and replace them with knockout roses but that may not be such a good choice either.
ladyschweig
Culpeper, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8938713

Kiwi-mum... I see Knock-outs with the disease very frequently and I have seen them for sale (obviously infected) in local big boxes.

It hurts, I know, but take your roses out! I've put myself on a 3 year rose-less diet in the hopes that the multiflora near me dies for good. Why plant until then?

On the up-side this gives you space and excuse to try something different. Peonies and day lilies are pretty bullet proof for this part of Virginia.

Until 2014 I'll keep reading the Rose Forum to torture myself!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2011
1:25 PM

Post #8939537

To torture myself! LOL!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #8954376

If I had to wait three years I'd have such a list! I'm pretty strict with myself about saving for my next rose buy and only buy what I have saved for. But still! Gosh, ladyschweig, what does your 2014 list look like? Mine would be about a yard long and all typed in close spacing in elite not pica!
ladyschweig
Culpeper, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #8959836

Oh gosh... I'd love to have my Geisha (1964 Tantau?) back. It was a "special order" rose and I'm not sure it is still available. I do not want to sign for a wait list yet because I don't want it before I feel good planting it.
I'd like more of Dainty Bess, and an Eden to replace a lost one. OHHHHH, and my Rose de Restch! I had grown accustom to black spot getting the best of them every summer at some point when I let my guard down. They always would roar back to life in September. Nothing smells so good to me as Rose De Retsch.

I lost so many, but those are the few I would want back in a heartbeat. I think going forward I would want to try some new friends. Maybe the one other old friend I would want back is Norwich Castle.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #8960251

Oh, I love Rose de Rescht! It was one of my earliest roses (2003) and I had to leave it behind. What amazed me about it, is that after 4-5 years when it starts to lose some vigor, if you cut it sharply back it is amazing. I love the whole Portland group. Did you ever grow Marchesa Bocchella aka Jacques Cartier? Those are two of my favorite roses! If they had not gone "out of style" with the advent of hybrid pertetuals, can you imagine what wonderful roses from that group would have survived?

And then, two years ago, I actually got two true to type suckers! Should have taken them.

Here is Mama.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #8960257

After a hard cutting back, see the baby to the left? There was also one to the right. I got it from Antique Rose Emporium, and it was own root.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 9, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #8960320

Ladyschweig, it looks like the Geisha (floribunda,1964, Tantau) is available from Vintage Gardens at this time. They have anounced that they are going out of business next year--you probably already know that. It would only be a band and so it would be quite small when you got it but they are listing it as available. Maybe you could order a couple before they close up and just keep them in a pot? It would be a shame to miss out on it as HMF does not list it as being available elsewhere. They are listing another Geisha (hybrid tea, 1920, Van Rossem) in their custom root section. It looks as if Tantau also released another floribunda named Geisha, but HMF doesn't have any further information on it. I don't really know that much about Tantau as I usually go after Kordes floribundas.
ladyschweig
Culpeper, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #8965542

Terri-
I'll need to look! I loved that rose so much. It was very delicate. Vintage is where I got her the first time!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 5, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9153047

It is finally happening !
The Rose Rosette disease information are going around.
Here is the gazette from the Collin County Master Gardeners. Look at page 2, there is an article on the disease
http://www.ccmgatx.org/docs/email/GWG-Sum2012.pdf

Please copy and send around to your friends too !
jess2132000
Harleysville, PA

June 7, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9155478

Augh!! My Kathleen Harrop climbing rose has this going on this year and I was wondering what it was. The flowers are not blooming as well and I was wonder what these redish new growth was!! So if I remove it now can another climbing rose be put there or no. Its on a arbor with my Parade rose so hope that does not get this too.
jess2132000
Harleysville, PA

June 7, 2012
5:40 AM

Post #9155480

Maybe a clematis is a better plant to use.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9155486

jess2132000
The next rose you will plant, will also be infected.
Could you grow CROSSVINE in your zone?
That's what I did on my back arbor and I am so happy if that choice.
jess2132000
Harleysville, PA

June 7, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9156156

Here are some photos. I think it has it.

Thumbnail by jess2132000

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2012
9:27 PM

Post #9156550

Yes, I think that is an infected rose.
Hurry and remove it !
shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9157470

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1263763/

Please go to this tread and read the FIRST post - PLEASE FOLLOW instructions - not for chat but for gathering information for those who may have this terrible rose disease

Kathy

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America