Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Tips For Overwintering Potted Mums: Great article! but...

Communities > Forums > Article: Tips For Overwintering Potted Mums
bookmark
Forum: Article: Tips For Overwintering Potted MumsReplies: 1, Views: 8
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
quiltjean
North Chelmsford, MA
(Zone 6b)

October 25, 2011
9:09 AM

Post #8863055

I love to overwinter mums, but one has to remember that the growers can take any mum cutting, fertilise it, use black cloths or other light blocks to regulate its day length, and use growth regulator to produce squat, brittle cupcake. They are not your grandmother's mums. Those in my mother's garden were three feet high and bloomed in late October or even November!

One year my brother, a notorious saver, took me out for a ride to pick up discarded mums. We got thirteen!
Well, some of them are still going strong, but though I pinch them back right up until Jul 4 (Zone 6) by now those that weren't decimated by Japanese beetles are --you guessed it--three feet tall. I have a lovely pale pink single that I am going to increase by cuttings next year--I hope--because I love the look of the old-fsahioned clumps of mums spilling out of their beds.

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 25, 2011
1:53 PM

Post #8863368

Hi Quiltjean, You are so right that the mums that spend the summer growing in your garden are nothing like the "cupcake" mums (good description!) available for purchase in the fall. The overwintered mums have stronger stems and in general just look more natural. I love the idea of you and your brother scavenging for discarded mums!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Tips For Overwintering Potted Mums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Perfectly wonderful article Adaylilyfan 12 Oct 10, 2011 5:46 PM
More Tips For Mums 2supine 1 Oct 10, 2011 6:28 AM
Accidental Overwinter! mjpreast 1 Oct 10, 2011 6:52 AM
Overwinter Mums in pots! DaylilySLP 1 Oct 10, 2011 7:16 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America