Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Aroids: climbing vine Chiapas - id please

Communities > Forums > Aroids
bookmark
Forum: AroidsReplies: 6, Views: 88
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
suzanne_cook
victoria
Canada

October 25, 2011
9:38 AM

Post #8863090

Some kind of aroid, I presume. Two varieties identified by Lacandon Mayas, living in the rain forest of Chiapas: chiah k'aax 'forest chiah' and another one the people cultivate, bushy and the leaves are variegated, called chiah. Sending both. Apparently they get small, fragrant white "flowers" that smell like vanilla. They sprinkle the pollen into drinks. The flowers have "skin" (spathe?). No pics of inflorescences, sorry: these photos taken in October.

Thumbnail by suzanne_cook
Click the image for an enlarged view.

suzanne_cook
victoria
Canada

October 25, 2011
9:39 AM

Post #8863091

chiah k'aax 'forest chiah'. Two pics: wide shot and close up of leaves.

suzanne_cook
victoria
Canada

October 25, 2011
9:40 AM

Post #8863094

chiah k'aax 'forest chiah'. Wide shot

RachelLF

RachelLF

October 25, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8863777

The first photo is a Dieffenbachia.

I am editing my post to add: there are two different plants in the last photo. One I still believe may be Syngonium chiapense and the other and I'm not sure of.

This message was edited Oct 25, 2011 9:08 PM
suzanne_cook
victoria
Canada

October 26, 2011
9:35 PM

Post #8865318

Thanks Rachel,
Yes, you're right--there are two plants in the second photo. I should have indicated in my post that it the focus was on the species with the long, simple leaves. Could it be a Rhodospatha?

Have you heard of people eating the pollen of Dieffenbachia?

RachelLF

RachelLF

October 27, 2011
7:44 PM

Post #8866466

I figured your focus was on the one you showed in the second photo and in all reality there is more than two plants showing in the second photo that I did not catch. I am not familiar enough with the genus Rhodospatha to give you a definite yes or no answer to your question and no, I've never heard that the pollen from a Dieffenbachia was edible/safe. Have you?
suzanne_cook
victoria
Canada

October 29, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8868324

No, I haven't tried the Dieffenbachia. They say it's poisonous. The Laandon man said the flowers smelled sweet, like vanilla. He is the one who sprinkles the pollen in his bevs. The plant wasn't blooming when I took the shot, so I wouldn't know.
As for the photo with the two plants climbing on the tree, Michael Grayum from MOBOT identified the (focus) plant as Philodendron inaequilaterum Liebm.
Cheers,

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Aroids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How to ID elephant ears!!! bwilliams 37 Jul 5, 2012 11:15 AM
Colocasia Thai Giant- pics please AuntB 54 Aug 23, 2008 3:03 PM
Aroids to trade: skilledwithands 23 Jun 13, 2008 12:41 AM
The most over looked aroid in the araceae family. bwilliams 17 Apr 29, 2010 8:18 PM
Which of these is A. podophyllum and what's the other? Carter 7 Oct 1, 2007 3:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America